Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby at the olympics. The draw is as follows ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    Has the sevens at the Olympics been a success? By that I mean is it getting a decent percentage of TV viewing figures/interest?

I have really enjoyed it, and I scarcely watch 7s.
    I think it has. Considering the ground is out of way it hasn't had fantastic attendances but tv figures have been pretty good afaik...
    thebaz wrote: »
    i too rarely watch 7s, and really enjoyed the Japanese/NZ - stumbled on it by chance - the biggest problem I have had is the slaphazard TV viewing - perhaps if Ireland were playing the scheduling would have been better.
    RTE showed plenty of the 7s. Showing it on the main channels quite a bit. In what way was the tv coverage "slaphazard"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭clsmooth

When are the semis??

EDIT: Today from 6:30 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

RTE showed plenty of the 7s. Showing it on the main channels quite a bit. In what way was the tv coverage "slaphazard"?

I wanted to watch some of the quarters last night - certainly wasn't on any of the main channels live - they seam to fit it in to spare slots at random times , in between endless canoeing slaloming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I wanted to watch some of the quarters last night - certainly wasn't on any of the main channels live - they seam to fit it in to spare slots at random times, in between endless canoeing slaloming
    It has been at different times though and its the Olympics and rugby 7s is far from what most will be interested. it has got plenty of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

this be some comeback from the argies
    their fans are class- id love a RWC in Argentina

• Advertisement

I wanted to watch some of the quarters last night - certainly wasn't on any of the main channels live - they seam to fit it in to spare slots at random times , in between endless canoeing slaloming

Here baz:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

just scroll down to rugby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Pure class from Fiji

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Fiji are just way too big and fast for this Japanese team, regardless of the wonderfully organised defence they can't cope with it. Fiji playing wonderful stuff.

Referee ruined the game with that yellow. Game over. Never a yellow. Real shame

Fiji's lines are absolutely sublime

We should try get Hurling at the Olympics. This is what I think it would be like.

No matter how decent other teams were, we'd still be able to smash it.

• Advertisement

anyone else's stream on RTE site just restart the Fiji V Japan match...

Dan Norton is so quick. Saved GBR there. South Africa's counter rucking is great.

What an idiotic play by the South African number 4 there. Had men to his right but went back to the left and tried a Hail Mary of a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Common theme of crabbing runners in 7s. Loads of overlaps butchered, you'd be tearing your hair out in 15s if a player did that.

Norton has some step

Top class by Norton as per usual. He's the difference between the two teams imo. The two SA wingers can't finish well enough. SA should have scored two more in the first half

That was a harsh holding on call against SA I thought

One last chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

swiwi_ wrote: »
    SA for the gold I reckon. Their defenceless excellent. A mixture of power white guys and speedy black guys. A perfect mixture of selection and coaching.
    Their team is very small. Can't see them getting past Fiji or GBR

If we consider a 7-5 victory proof of principle, then I concede :)

We should try get Hurling at the Olympics. This is what I think it would be like.

No matter how decent other teams were, we'd still be able to smash it.

Pool A: Ireland

Quarter final: winner of Pool A

Semi-final: winner of quarter-final 1

Final: winner of semi-final 1

Prediction: Ireland for the gold medal.

Betting suspended.

• Advertisement

hopefully Fiji do justice and win gold - out and out best team - play wonderful rugby

Deserved it. South Africa don't have much going forward. I had backed GBR to win the gold yesterday, I'll stick to my guns there. Fiji are by far the best going forward but defensively lacking and normally this why NZ comes off better. I'm substituting in GBR for them and think it'll end up like that.

Betting suspended.

and Scotland for silver - or Team GB as its called ;)

If we consider a 7-5 victory proof of principle, then I concede :)

They did extremely well first half, probably should have won but just didn't have enough out wide in my opinion. But on another day they could be walking away with gold! A lot of quality in the team and very well organised

They did extremely well first half, probably should have won but just didn't have enough out wide in my opinion. But on another day they could be walking away with gold! A lot of quality in the team and very well organised

The GB defence at the end was outstanding and size probably did play a role. I agree with you that Fiji attack is better than GB but defence is worse.

Betting suspended.

We'd probably get done for doping.

"Sure I thought it was only a bit of protein like!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Fiji are just way too big and fast for this Japanese team, regardless of the wonderfully organised defence they can't cope with it. Fiji playing wonderful stuff.

The problem for Japan is Fiji poached more Fijians than they did .

They need to up the ante for 2020.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,343 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So.... Final at 11pm tonight, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So.... Final at 11pm tonight, is that correct?

Sure is and bronze medal play off is at 10:30 between Japan and South Africa.

• Advertisement

New Zealand vs Argentina is arguably the pick of the games at 10.00 for 5th spot

Advertisement