Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Second Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They're goners. Maybe Moore in a couple of years if he signs deal to come back but nope until then. IRFU will be thinking long term and they're not gonna sacrifice the only negotiating chip they have for two guys who have never been first choice internationals.

Jonny is concussed, Paddy is injured. Who they gona call ? Keatley to start and wrestle with his crisis of confidence. And Marsh on the bench ? Or dial 0033... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bilston wrote: »
    Thinking about our depth next year it is very exciting

LH - McGrath, Healy, Kilcoyne
    TH - Ross, Furlong, Bealham, Moore
    Hooker - Best, Cronin, Strauss
    Lock - Toner, *Henderson, Dillane, Roux, Ryan
    Back Row - O'Mahony, Stander, O'Brien, Van Der Flier, Henry, Murphy, Reidy, Heaslip
    Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Reddan
    Out Half - Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    Centre - Olding, Marshall, Henshaw, McCloskey
    Wings - Trimble, Bowe, Fitzgerald, D.Kearney, Earls, Zebo, Gilroy, Healy
    Full Back - *Payne, Kearney, O'Halloran

That's 43 players and it's not including some young guys who aren't on tour like Ringrose, Adeoluken, Scholes (moving to Edinburgh probably puts him out of the picture), O'Donoghue and Conan

You can probably take Moore and Madigan out of that list too.

We don't have loads of 10s or THs. Plus they're squad regulars.

We have loads of wingers and Scholes isn't in the squad.

Thinking about our depth next year it is very exciting

LH - McGrath, Healy, Kilcoyne
    TH - Ross, Furlong, Bealham, Moore
    Hooker - Best, Cronin, Strauss
    Lock - Toner, *Henderson, Dillane, Roux, Ryan
    Back Row - O'Mahony, Stander, O'Brien, Van Der Flier, Henry, Murphy, Reidy, Heaslip
    Scrum Half - Murray, Marmion, Reddan
    Out Half - Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
    Centre - Olding, Marshall, Henshaw, McCloskey
    Wings - Trimble, Bowe, Fitzgerald, D.Kearney, Earls, Zebo, Gilroy, Healy
    Full Back - *Payne, Kearney, O'Halloran

That's 43 players and it's not including some young guys who aren't on tour like Ringrose, Adeoluken, Scholes (moving to Edinburgh probably puts him out of the picture), O'Donoghue and Conan

You can probably take Moore and Madigan out of that list too.

Edit - Wee dark horse for the Irish squad this time next year is Bill Johnston. Munster don't have real quality at 10, having seen Johnston play last week, albeit at U20s level, he looks a talent. Is it that unrealistic to think he could be 1st choice at Munster by the end of next season? If that's the case and Sexton is with the Lions and Madigan isn't considered what odds Johnston could make the Irish tour? (Japan?). Watch this space I suppose, a lot can happen in 12 months, just ask Sean Reidy...

a lot can happen in 12 months, just ask Sean Reidy...

Sure can.

Before his SA call-up, I doubt even Sean Reidy had heard of Sean Reidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Jonny is concussed, Paddy is injured. Who they gona call ? Keatley to start and wrestle with his crisis of confidence. And Marsh on the bench ? Or dial 0033... ?

Players emerge. Nobody saw Bealham being an international th this season. Johnny Holland looks a very tidy prospect, to be honest one could have made a reasonable case for bringing him ahead of Madigan on this tour. Olding could probably cover 10 from the bench.

Ross Byrne is meant to be a serious prospect too.

Madigan & Moore won't be part of the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Edit - Wee dark horse for the Irish squad this time next year is Bill Johnston. Munster don't have real quality at 10, having seen Johnston play last week, albeit at U20s level, he looks a talent. Is it that unrealistic to think he could be 1st choice at Munster by the end of next season? If that's the case and Sexton is with the Lions and Madigan isn't considered what odds Johnston could make the Irish tour? (Japan?). Watch this space I suppose, a lot can happen in 12 months, just ask Sean Reidy...

Ideal scenario is you have someone like Sexton who is in the later stages of his career, someone like Jackson who is coming into his prime, hopefully, and starts pushing Sexton for the starting spot and then someone like Johnston who is in and around both Sexton and Jackson for as long as possible before actually making a match day squad.

The fact that next summer's tour is to Japan and not somewhere like New Zealand it is the perfect opportunity to bring someone like Johnston along, assuming he has a good season at Munster.

Madigan could still be playing club rugby this time next year so he may not be available even if Schmidt, or whoever is in charge, wanted to bring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Players emerge. Nobody saw Bealham being an international th this season. Johnny Holland looks a very tidy prospect, to be honest one could have made a reasonable case for bringing him ahead of Madigan on this tour. Olding could probably cover 10 from the bench.

Ross Byrne is meant to be a serious prospect too.

Madigan & Moore won't be part of the squad.
    Madigan wasn't considered for this squad either until Jonny was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Madigan could still be playing club rugby this time next year so he may not be available even if Schmidt, or whoever is in charge, wanted to bring him.

Madigan has to be released for the international windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Also the Top 14 don't play this late most years, and Bordeaux certainly don't

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ClanofLams wrote:
    If Holland continues on in the same manner he finished this season, I'd have him odds on to get a cap against Canada.

If he does that, there's a very strong chance he leapfrogs Madigan.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    If Holland continues on in the same manner he finished this season, I'd have him odds on to get a cap against Canada.

I would say whoever is starting for Munster next season is going to leapfrog Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Buer wrote: »

Less positionally flexible, but also less prone to random acts of insanity. A true headache for Joe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I forgot it's only your man at Toulon that makes a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Zzippy wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    30th October 2018

Right sorry, counting 1,2,3 is sooo hard! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

From that list you need to include Denis Buckley on a par with McGrath and streets ahead of kilcoyne. Totally consistent, good scrummager but dare i say he would get more turnovers than mcgrath - his body position over the ball is immaculate.

Also you are forgetting we need to look towards 2019.

So scratch reddan and in comes maybe cooney or mcgrath if he improves somewhat.
    At outhalf mr holland comes into the picture.
    Backrow I would fully expect heenan, masterson, connolly and SOB v2.0 all to be in squad ahead of reidy & van der flier. They are just better players and more skilful with ball in hand.
    ryan from leinster U20s will come in and keep an eye on cian romaine
    watch out for sam arnold at centre for munster next season

mareegoo wrote: »

From that list you need to include Denis Buckley on a par with McGrath and streets ahead of kilcoyne. Totally consistent, good scrummager but dare i say he would get more turnovers than mcgrath - his body position over the ball is immaculate.

Also you are forgetting we need to look towards 2019.

So scratch reddan and in comes maybe cooney or mcgrath if he improves somewhat.
    At outhalf mr holland comes into the picture.
    Backrow I would fully expect heenan, masterson, connolly and SOB v2.0 all to be in squad ahead of reidy & van der flier. They are just better players and more skilful with ball in hand.
    ryan from leinster U20s will come in and keep an eye on cian romaine
    watch out for sam arnold at centre for munster next season

I should have included Buckley, but I don't agree he is on a par with McGrath.

I didn't include the likes of Masterson, SOB2, Connelly, Ringrose, Holland etc deliberately. I was merely trying to demonstrate our depth with the current players. The fact you add them to the list merely demonstrates the fact we have more depth than ever.

As for Arnold, he left Ulster for a reason and that is because he was behind Olding, McCloskey, Marshall, Payne and Cave in the midfield. In other words he has a fair bit to go, and that's not including Henshaw and Ringrose, but he is young and will come into contention eventually. He is a good player.

I don't think we have any player in any position as good as McGrath. Such an important player for us at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't like the look of this team. Poor selections.

Boks to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mc Grath is streets ahead of any other LH at the moment.

Rightwing wrote: »

Boks to win.

Which changes do you take issue with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rightwing wrote: »

Boks to win.

Mr Positivity I've been expecting you...

mfceiling wrote: »
    Mr Positivity I've been expecting you...

I think we might lose and the worst part about it is we'll probably end up with another week of being told about how rubbish Joe Schmidt, the most conservative man in the world who makes people cry in the video room, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I think we might lose and the worst part about it is we'll probably end up with another week of being told about how rubbish Joe Schmidt, the most conservative man in the world who makes people cry in the video room, is.

I think we may be surprised. I am not confident of a win, but I think this team will give it everything and give a very good account of themselves. I certainly don't think the Boks will find it easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I think Joe has been clever with this team, he's picked a side that will be strong and aggressive and will match the Saffers physically.
    He's taking a chance on maybe snatching the win, give some tired bodies a rest...and if we lose...getting everyone back fit and rested for the third test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

well it won't be from me for a change. i'm delighted with this team and if they get whipped I won't complain. its the type of team I like so if it fails well all I can do is hold my hands up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'd expect more than such straw-maning.

Schmidt earned a reputation as a conservative coach for Ireland due to conservative, injury-enforced, selections and a conservative gameplan. This had the side going backwards over the last 12 months. It currently looks like Schmidt has acknowledged this and is trying to rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

well it won't be from me for a change. i'm delighted with this team and if they get whipped I won't complain. its the type of team I like so if it fails well all I can do is hold my hands up

Whatever changes you've made to your diet...keep 'em that way!

Can't see a whipping at all. I know you probably can't either?

Looking forward to this no end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Schmidt earned a reputation as a conservative coach for Ireland due to conservative, injury-enforced, selections and a conservative gameplan. This had the side going backwards over the last 12 months. It currently looks like Schmidt has acknowledged this and is trying to rectify it.

Leave the bitching and moaning til after the game please. No more of this sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

kuang1 wrote: »
    Whatever changes you've made to your diet...keep 'em that way!

Can't see a whipping at all. I know you probably can't either?

Looking forward to this no end.
    I think its joe who has made a change to his diet and I love it :-)

• Advertisement

His selections in that period were in fact visionary, and so far on a superior plane of rugby thinking, that some mistook them for being conservative. 'Conservative' was just a pat label applied by those who didnt understand what he was doing and the genius of his plans.

Joe is just working beyond the level of some observers rugby comprehension. Its like the difference between the person who knows the moves in chess and so can play it, and the grandmaster who can see many moves in advance with many alternatives of strategies and traps within that.

Today's selection is just a little more understandable to the majority and so they are lauding it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement