Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Second Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

evil_seed wrote: »
    clearly guys haven't been watching Roux play with Connacht. Not concerned with this at all. Delighted for Tiernan too

He wasn't in the team for the last part of the season, was he?

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd say it's going to be tough deciding between the two for Ulster if they can both stay fit and in form. Leinster can take Olding off Ulsters hands I suppose.... :D

Marshall plays 13 for Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

He wasn't in the team for the last part of the season, was he?

He hasn't played since the Treviso match 29 April.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wow.

One thing Roux might have is experience of the highveldt but it's a ballsy call. You'd have to think Dillane has a knock though. Even then I'd have thought Ryan would have been ahead of Roux.

Loving the sight of Henderson at 6. That's powerful back row. I guess Best and Heaslip will be our chief poachers.

I'm really excited to see Olding at 12. Hopefully we see more of Gilroy with the ball than without! Finally it will be great to see TOH get some gametime. His form definitely merits it.

Again an utter disgrace. 5 Leinster starters and only 2 on the bench.

Schmidt has forgotten his roots. Time to move on.

They've even had to go as far as pretending that Henderson is a Leinster player to get the numbers up!
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0616/796059-roux-set-for-debut-as-schmidt-makes-five-changes/

Conservative rubbish as usual from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    swiwi_ wrote: »
    I feel genuinely sorry for Marshall. I mean I think it's great Olding is getting a run, but poor old Luke, after battling back from all those concussion issues and loss of form, has a very decent season for Ulster...puts in an excellent stint for Ireland...and gets the joy of watching someone else have a chance to take his spot.

Bet he was like "yeah, Stu, well done mate, delighted for you", with such gritted teeth even Jamie's Beat's headphones couldn't block out the din.

I'd say it's going to be tough deciding between the two for Ulster if they can both stay fit and in form. Leinster can take Olding off Ulsters hands I suppose.... :D

Olding 12
    Marshall 13

Easy.

I swear McCloskey was only getting the nod iver Olding because Ulster had feck all ball carriers with Williams injured. Not that that is going to change massively for the first part of next season.

Nice problem to have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If we win this game I think the IRFU should be doing everything in their power to keep him, even up to cutting all communications in and out of Ireland so no Super Rugby franchises can lure him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It's Furlong I'm most interested to see. We all know that he offers more around the pitch than Ross but to date all of the evidence that we have suggests that his scrummaging is still off the level of Ross. Ross had trouble with Mtawarira last week but we didn't get to see Furlong against him as he left the pitch at the same time as Ross. This week we get to see how Furlong handles him right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

errlloyd wrote: »
    If we win this game I think the IRFU should be doing everything in their power to keep him, even up to cutting all communications in and out of Ireland so no Super Rugby franchises can lure him away.

I really don't see the result of this game changing the IRFU's opinion one way or the other. They've made it very clear that they want him to stay, the ball is in Joe's court.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,291 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

will this team be the youngest average age under Schmidt ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Its+_71068304511da5b57b5f4122812fcdbf.gif

Good god I can't wait for this match now with that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

evil_seed wrote: »
    clearly guys haven't been watching Roux play with Connacht. Not concerned with this at all. Delighted for Tiernan too

Well, he finished the season behind Muldowney, Dillane and Andrew Browne, so no, we haven't been watching him play for Connacht...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm surprised they went with Roux. He has less than 3 full games of rugby under his belt in 2016. To start against the Boks in a test match is going to push his fitness to the absolute limit. We can forget about Toner not playing back to back 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Is the first test still available on Youtube? Can't find it there and this announcement has really made me want to rewatch it.

bilston wrote: »
    Olding 12
    Marshall 13

Easy.

I swear McCloskey was only getting the nod iver Olding because Ulster had feck all ball carriers with Williams injured. Not that that is going to change massively for the first part of next season.

Nice problem to have though.

Payne at 15, Charlie on the wing with one of Trimble/Bowe/Gilroy.

Simples.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Looking forward to this

Murray Kinsella says that other than Stander none of the changes were forced ones, ie. nobody is injured or carrying a knock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Murray Kinsella says that other than Stander none of the changes were forced ones, ie. nobody is injured or carrying a knock.

Don't get Dillane losing out in that case. Not like he put in a long shift

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Podge_irl wrote: »

Id guess it's related to Furlong starting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Roux is a big Tighthead lock - will help Furlong come scrum time
    Roux was potential Connacht player of the season last year - he has been cursed with injuries this year unfortunately

Also interesting that Bealham is covering TH on the bench

Cannot wait for this match

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

gamma001 wrote: »
    Id guess it's related to Furlong starting

Yeah, I know Schmidt is big on having an actual tighthead lock. Would have thought Dillane would provide better impact from the bench than Ryan though.

And Reidy over Murphy is a bit odd too.

Maybe he's being saved for the 3rd test.

I wonder what Schmidt's plans were re rotation of players before we went down there and if that's changed in any way having won the first test?

Looking at the players available to us would anyone call this a second string side? I'm sure some people would argue Earls over Gilroy on the wing, but other than that is there anyone who will be kicking their heels (unenforced) on Saturday that would improve the side drastically?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Really interesting selection. Looking forward to the game, I don't think we'll win it with the chosen team but I think we will learn quite a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Am I the only one thinking that Joe's got all adventurous now because he knows he's leaving... no need to be conservative anymore. :(

Well, he finished the season behind Muldowney, Dillane and Andrew Browne, so no, we haven't been watching him play for Connacht...

He spent most of the season injured, and tbh nearly every other Irish lock bar Toner would have been behind Muldowney and Dillane this season the way they were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Cracking selection, looks like Ruddock and Murphy are both getting a shot at the 7 jersey ahead of the final test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's the summer tests. People shouldn't look at a players absence as him being dropped. Luke Marshall hasn't been dropped for Olding. Giving players an opportunity is refreshing. I'm very excited about this selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Zzippy wrote: »
    He spent most of the season injured, and tbh nearly every other Irish lock bar Toner would have been behind Muldowney and Dillane this season the way they were playing.

If only Muldowney was staying in Ireland (and was maybe 3 years younger). Himself and Henderson in the 2nd row for Ireland. drool

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Fascinating team. Delighted for Olding, but hope Marshall is just getting rested. Second row is amazing. I'm a huge fan of Roux but he has been incredibly unlucky with injuries. He's a big lump of a guy who will add weight to the scrum, which could be needed on the tight head side with Ross missing. And he speaks Afrikaans I think. Delighted for TOH, and hope he gets a run, but also delighted Payne is staying at 15.

Can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Am I the only one thinking that Joe's got all adventurous now because he knows he's leaving... no need to be conservative anymore. :(
    I hope niot. In any case Joe has previous with Leinster. The one thing I would say is that Joe doesn't set out to lose a game, he always wants to win, so this selection is about winning.
    I'd agree with that. But again, this isn't about players being dropped. Decin Toner must be a very fit man to be in the frame for another 80 minute stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Exciting selection. Some odd selections - Roux in particular stands out - but the side has a very fresh, if somewhat weakened, look to it.

Hopefully Schmidt isn't only shedding the shackles now as he knows that he is off when the tour is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement