Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa V Ireland, Second Test Build-up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What

A

Team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Where's Billysays no? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Complaining to his mam about "murray's crashball"

Always thought that if Ulster had a pack they would be a serious outfit. Guess now we get to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

Why roux over dillane?

• Advertisement

Fcuking Schmidt and his Ulster bias

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Preparing a rant about how it doesn't matter who is playing 10-15 because CONOR MURRAY! CRASH BALL!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

shock.jpg

Just so people don't have to go back a page and check again and just because... Joe!

ClElmaeUgAAxMAu.jpg

• Advertisement

The amount of changes. That team could still win but is this slightly damage limitation so that we aren't completely screwed for the 3rd test if we lose this one?

There can be no complaints about not using the entire squad for this tour.

Everyone is getting a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The only really surprising call is Rouxs inclusion coupled with Dillanes exclusion. I wonder if that means Dillane be starting the third Test? Huge ask of guys like McGrath and Toner after last week, but clearly Killer is there so that we can replace McGrath after 60 or so.

The two question marks I'd have here is Roux (generally) and Gilroy (defensively). Other than that it's a pretty strong XV. With minimal changes to the SA squad I think this is a side that can do the business for us. Although again the bench is a little on the callow side. But we can't be surprised at that with the injuries. Joe is obviously looking to get a look at everyone too which is great.

Roll on 4pm on Saturday!

The amount of changes. That team could still win but is this slightly damage limitation so that we aren't completely screwed for the 3rd test if we lose this one?
    It's likely that plus the need to rest players. I also imagine they've been looking at who's going best at altitude.

I don't think so. If that was the case then McGrath wouldn't be starting. I think this is close to the best side we could field while also doing some rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I feel genuinely sorry for Marshall. I mean I think it's great Olding is getting a run, but poor old Luke, after battling back from all those concussion issues and loss of form, has a very decent season for Ulster...puts in an excellent stint for Ireland...and gets the joy of watching someone else have a chance to take his spot.

Bet he was like "yeah, Stu, well done mate, delighted for you", with such gritted teeth even Jamie's Beat's headphones couldn't block out the din.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I feel genuinely sorry for Marshall. I mean I think it's great Olding is getting a run, but poor old Luke, after battling back from all those concussion issues and loss of form, has a very decent season for Ulster...puts in an excellent stint for Ireland...and gets the joy of watching someone else have a chance to take his spot.

Bet he was like "yeah, Stu, well done mate, delighted for you", with such gritted teeth even Jamie's Beat's headphones couldn't block out the din.

I'd say it's going to be tough deciding between the two for Ulster if they can both stay fit and in form. Leinster can take Olding off Ulsters hands I suppose.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Quinn roux , the new Michael Bent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

You could ask if maybe Roux's inclusion is related to Furlong's selection? That we need a heavier lump than Dillane to compensate for the absence of Ross?

• Advertisement

Marshall was talking during the week about how even at the start of this season he wasn't in a great place and was even thinking about moving on from Ulster. I think Olding deserves a shot there too but Marshall did extremely well last week and it would take a huge performance from Olding to put him above Marshall for the 3rd test. Olding is capable of that but he hasn't played international rugby for nearly 2 years.

It's going to be tough back at Ulster next season too, they've got a lot of players trying to fill 5 shirts.

I really like the look of that pack though. In terms of power and ball carrying it's better than last weeks. Ross wasn't having a great time in the scrum so it makes sense to give Furlong a shot as he offers more around the field.

I've been on the Marshall hype train for years and believe that he's the most complete centre in Ireland when on top form. But Olding is a stupidly talented runner and I'm excited to see how he goes at 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

And Roux hasn't played in so long hell be very fresh so the altitude shouldn't have as much effect on him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭evil_seed

clearly guys haven't been watching Roux play with Connacht. Not concerned with this at all. Delighted for Tiernan too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Am loving that RH stays at 13 - I hope it's a permanent thing for country and province ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm excited! (thanks Hans!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm exited!

No need to leave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's possible he is simply not fully recovered after the stint he put in I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Henderson's first start at 6 under Schmidt?

Nope. Started there in Schmidt's first 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

errlloyd wrote: »
    You're ruling out Roux. Ultimate joeball if he's on the bench instead.
    .ak wrote: »
    68884204.jpg

I totally almost called it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement