Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I cycled that route today around molls gap .

Having lived in Kerry for 17 years I never get sick of the scenery .

If you love ur cars and driving ,a long weekend driving around Killarney and dingle is a must .

I'm a long time fan of topgear and this is my 1 st episode of new series . not liking it so far . The interview of the two dragged on and on .
    I don't really mind Chris Evans but he's defo not suited to this job , I'd be surprised if he gets another series .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The interview of the two dragged on and on .

It was almost 15 minutes! I had it recorded so I just fast forwarded it after it started getting boring. The reading off the autoque introducing eachother thing has to go - its like the BBC are using this to advertise their other shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I cycled that route today around molls gap .

Having lived in Kerry for 17 years I never get sick of the scenery .

If you love ur cars and driving ,a long weekend driving around Killarney and dingle is a must .

Molls gap is etc is a beautiful part of the world even if the day isn't perfect. Where they got really lucky imho was slea head. I've been down there on days and you wouldn't even know the sea was beyond the wall unless someone told you.... but the evening they had down there was just phenomenal.

It's the first episode I've watched most of in a long time. Evans is annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Does Chris only have a few Tees and Sweaters. Sure I have seen that combo on previous TGs and on BBCs Glasto coverage.

He's been wearing that same yellow one with the blue pullover the whole series as if he filmed all of his segments on one day!

Get rid of the rallycross and stupid chatshow guests and bring back the news and proper star in a cheap car. And get rid of Evans who strikes me as a very strange person! Hes about 59 but prancing about wearing teenager clothes. Not a good look for a mature grown man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

Don't have BBC . Anyone know why it's not on rte any more ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just stumbled upon the yesterday's episode. The show should have changed writers or something too. Evans is Clarkson, Le Blanc is Hammond. They've completely changed the cast, but it seems like the new hosts are just impersonating the old ones. Pity they couldn't try and bring something fresh to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I enjoyed the segments on the Rolls and the Jag, but i just cannot get my head around Evans.

If he was to leave and they let the guys be themselves I'm sure the show would be much, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see Le Blanc is conisdering his part in the show if Evans stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

L'prof wrote: »
    The show should have changed writers or something too.

It did. They all left too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

NIMAN wrote: »
    I see Le Blanc is conisdering his part in the show if Evans stays.

Some say...........that storm in a teacup has been manufactured in an attempt to get the ratings up for the series finale next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It just comes across as what would be on if clarkson, hammond, and may were to all be involved in a serious crash while filming and had to take a rest season, with others awkwardly trying to fill their roles exactly because all of the writing was already done and the trips paid for. An audi, jag, train and a motorbike.. hmm I wonder who they had in mind.

Ireland looked great but my god have they dropped in quality of editing, none of the show flows right, everything lingers on for too long, the studio stuff is cut to make it seem like there is more than an ounce of energy in the room

From the previous week with the luxobarges, what was the point? old top gear would have been Clarkson going on about "My A8 has a finger print sensor to start the car, heated and cooled seats, I can recline and be massaged by my 150k pound cars seats" and hammond on the bike would have said "My motorbike has keyless entry, panoramic roof, and a heated exhaust"

What did we get? Nothing about the cars, and a few throwaway remarks about the bike being cold and impractical? How about showing the bike paying 1/5th as much for tolls and getting 45mpg as well as being able to filter in venice and park up wherever he wanted. They just abandoned the cars outside their hotel ffs, at least pretend to do the races right. The choices of vehicles really didn't matter at all in the end

Back to Ireland, how did they think they would get a whole segment out of old car vs new car, without actually showing really anything about either car? if OTG had done it that smell segment could have actually been a bit funny, instead they made the guy look like an ejit and just decide which he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ba_barabus wrote: »
    It did. They all left too.

OK. Just seems like exactly the same show with new actors playing the same characters. It's bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

L'prof wrote: »
    OK. Just seems like exactly the same show with new actors playing the same characters. It's bizarre!

Yep, it's pretty ****ty tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,180 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think TG had run its course, it should have been left to die when the original 3 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Does Evans ever change clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I think TG had run its course, it should have been left to die when the original 3 left.

I think it was dead long before they left.

Unfortunately much of what was wrong with it has been carried forward to the current iteration:

Scripted forced unfunny banter.

"Some say" introductions of "The Stig"

Celebrity interviews, made worse by the fact that there are two of them and that "First car, best car" stuff.

Thankfully no "News" or "Cool Wall".

On the plus side Matt le Blanc is amusing in a laid back way, and both Chris Harris and Rory Reid are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Brian Scan wrote: »
    "

I think it was dead long before they left.

Unfortunately much of what was wrong with it has been carried forward to the current iteration:

Scripted forced unfunny banter.

"Some say" introductions of "The Stig"

Celebrity interviews, made worse by the fact that there are two of them and that "First car, best car" stuff.

Thankfully no "News" or "Cool Wall".

On the plus side Matt le Blanc is amusing in a laid back way, and both Chris Harris and Rory Reid are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

I thought that the news was one of the best parts and genuinely miss it.

bear1 wrote: »
    I thought that the news was one of the best parts and genuinely miss it.

The "banter" was often at its most forced during that segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

I would like a mixture of motoring and entertainment.
    Brian Scan wrote: »
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

Does anyone know why top gear irish episode was not on utv ireland player, please

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

The bbc player does not work here, it says only works in the uk. I only have saorview channels. I saw bits and pieces of the new series on saorview over the last few weeks, but the episode i really wanted to see was not on last night, just a god awful house make over programme !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

I watched it on Rte initially as don't have bbc , now its not on rte ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume because of the euros maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm not watching it till Chris Evans goes.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

They should make it like the original Top Gear from the 70s, feck this entertainment ****e. It should be all about the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Pugzilla wrote: »
    They should make it like the original Top Gear from the 70s, feck this entertainment ****e. It should be all about the cars.

You have Fifth Gear of Wheeler Dealers for that but that's not what the majority want which is how the show evolved into car-related entertainment under CHM

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You have Fifth Gear of Wheeler Dealers for that but that's not what the majority want which is how the show evolved into car-related entertainment under CHM

I hope TG gets cancelled then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement