Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

but UK radar can see further over the West of Ireland than our radar systems can.

There is no long range radar systems to begin with.

We can't have any otherwise Clare Daly would be chained to it permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well as we're neutral we don't really need an advanced radar system..

My biggest gripe is all the clapping they've introduced, they seem to clap at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Vicxas wrote: »

My biggest gripe is all the clapping they've introduced, they seem to clap at everything.
    It's canned. Look at the audience. They rarely move or smile even though there lots of laughing and clapping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Actually Car reviews by Chris and Rory , these are good and very well done.
    This is all that saves the show .

The Car Challenge , what the hell was that about. Ok ye spent 3k on yer cars but there was no real discussion on yer decisions.
    How much did ye spend on fuel and tolls to get there. To be honest I just started to fast forward all that section.

Aston and Tesla reviews ..thumbs up. The Rest a complete waste of time. At least I had it recorded to speed watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just goes to show you, it was all about the personalities. My wife used to watch the previous shows because she found the trio entertaining, watched 5 minutes of the reboot, said to me that it's was Clarkson, May and Hammond that made it watchable before, and hasn't watched a minute since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

mickdw wrote: »
    Cheeky little dig at ireland too re launching a sesna in defence.

I was disgusted at that comment.

We have 3 Cessna's.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Another strong episode. The celeb bit is the weakest. Reid and Harris stealing the show again. Nice to have the pointless challenges like old Top Gear but like others have said it seemed to be more pointless than usual. It didn't even show the luxobarge buying process and the "race" became a bit of an afterthought. Its not like they can actually race on public roads anyway .

I must be the only person that likes Eddie Jordan. Its obvious they are using him as the "Captain Slow" like they used May as the butt of jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Joeface wrote: »
    The Car Challenge , what the hell was that about. Ok ye spent 3k on yer cars but there was no real discussion on yer decisions.
    How much did ye spend on fuel and tolls to get there. To be honest I just started to fast forward all that section.

Exactly, me too. I don't ever remembering fast forwarding TG before... well maybe boring celebrity guests, but I'm doing it all the time now.

re the car challenge, that WAS something that was missing from the old days. The lads used to actually talk about the old barges they bought for small money, it would get you in the humour to scour donedeal and look for one yourself, until you remember you live in Ireland and you aren't filthy rich, then you would come back to reality!

Now the cars are just a distraction from the really important business, which is doing pointless stupid nonsense which hasnt even got any comedy value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vicxas wrote: »

Clapping, Hugging, spending minutes introducing the guest sitting next to you . . . . .

It is all about Filling Time!

They have feck all useful or interesting or even funny content so they must fill the show with Clapping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Don't know if anyone noticed in the 4th episode.
    There is a moment when LeBlanc is talking and Sabine is next to him where he finishes his piece and then just silence and stares until Sabine actually starts talking. Anyone see that?
    It tells me that they must be speaking from a prompter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Sabine is truly awful and should be axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watched it last night

Car reviews were both fine (though the Aston Martin film looked like it had been given a treatment in post-production to make it look CGI-fake which is not what anyone should want), the studio stuff I simply fast-forward through (the reverb is astonishingly bad), the challenge wasn't much of anything really though I did enjoy Eddie Jordans spoon rendition of ABBA :p

bear1 wrote: »
    There is a moment when LeBlanc is talking and Sabine is next to him where he finishes his piece and then just silence and stares until Sabine actually starts talking. Anyone see that?

Considering that Evans is still wearing the yellow teeshirt he had on in the first show "some say" that he did all his studio shooting in one day/afternoon and the same for the others and it is all being slotted together with CGI magic to make it look like they are all in the studio together at different times. Evans doesn't really have time for this show any other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

The grand tour - Clarksons new show.

Re sesna, they spoke of flying a British fighter jet towards ireland and when questions about what would happen if they over flew ireland at above mach 1, the pilot quipped, the irish would **** their pants seeing them approach on early warning systems and that the Irish would launch their sessna in defence.
    I'm half thinking of writing a letter to broadcasting complaints just to take the piss.

No point, as we have neither early warning radar as referenced and it would be a Pilatus pc9 not a Cessna

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

bear1 wrote: »

Yup. A solid gap in the middle there.

There seems to be a massive echo in the studio sections now (is that what the earlier poster called reverb?). Evans' high pitched voice really bounces back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Fattes wrote: »
    No point, as we have neither early warning radar as referenced and it would be a Pilatus pc9 not a Cessna

We don't any of these things Apparently we have approximately 6million insurgents ..I mean Irish People living peacefully in the UK :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The grand tour - Clarksons new show.

Re sesna, they spoke of flying a British fighter jet towards ireland and when questions about what would happen if they over flew ireland at above mach 1, the pilot quipped, the irish would **** their pants seeing them approach on early warning systems and that the Irish would launch their sessna in defence.
    I'm half thinking of writing a letter to broadcasting complaints just to take the piss.

In fairness, it was stated that it was done in a euro fighter which id expect we can identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

i watched part of the one that was repeated last night, did chris evans get a hair transplant?

neris wrote: »
    i watched part of the one that was repeated last night, did chris evans get a hair transplant?
    Looks like it and he was never as red as he has been on Top Gear, he must be dying it as well as feeding it manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I found it funny when the water taxi driver told him to calm down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭goochy

Just watching 're run in BBC 2 now . Loving it. this new series is definitely for petrolheads not fans of silly childish carry in.
    the tesla feature in New York was stunning never seen new York like that b4 - was like a Michael Mann film. Excelent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

If we could just delete the studio bits that'd be great :o

Evans isn't too bad in the features but in the studio it's totally painful. Shouting the presenters names does my head in! They don't need a round of applause every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

It seems to have settled down a bit. Chris Harris is brilliant and Rory Reid did an extremely interesting piece on the Tesla. It's not top gear and never will be but it's a good car program for petrolheads. I will continue to watch it but the studio sound needs to be sorted out. The guests reading from autocue is awkward and I really hate Chris Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

How did Chris Evans get here? I've never heard one positive comment about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

That's actually quite sad.

Thanks for your insightful comments on my preferred choice of car. I'm sorry to have disappointed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

millington wrote: »
    How did Chris Evans get here? I've never heard one positive comment about him

He might not have long left.

Himself and Le Blanc at it.

They should replace him with chandler

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3660497/Matt-Le-Blanc-quit-Gear-Chris-Evans-stays.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Having watched all the episodes so far here are my thoughts.

1) The celebrity driving rallycross section goes on for far too long
    2) Sabine/Evans/Rory need to go
    3) Too much time spent in the studio with awful 'comedy' attempts

I think Le Blanc is excellent though, his mix of confusion and humour make some good viewing plus he is a proper petrol head. Chris Harris is the best motoring journalist going so if he gets more time I think it will help the show.

Agree on Chris

Think Steve Sutcliffe is great too

Need more of below in top gear

Like that style

https://www.google.ie/search?q=hyper+5&client=ms-android-sonymobile&biw=360&bih=511&prmd=ivmn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi38Kyty8XNAhUiJcAKHcKEBxAQ_AUIBigA&dpr=3

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Rory Reid is brilliant! Way better than almost everyone else, his true passion for cars comes across way more than even Le Blank who although he's not bad he's a bit wooden and scripted. Hopefully he'll loosen up.
    Chris Harris should be the main man

• Registered Users Posts: 15,848 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They have just tried to copy so much of Top Gear & that leads to obvious comparisons. It's become like an episode of TGIF. Top Gear used to pull off silliness because of the rapport. It was heavily scripted but never seemed like it.

Now it feels so contrived. I welcome the Vulcan & Tesla segments as a relief from Sabine, Jordan & Evans painfully trying to be funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Advertisement