Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

First time watching an episode this season and I can see why people don't like it.

Evans' voice just cuts right through you. Sabine/Jordan look lost and uncomfortable.

LeBlanc and Harris would be the 2 keepers of the current lineup. It's so clear that Harris comes from a motoring review background.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What happened to the concept of a race?

Watching a leisurely drive across Europe with no craic to be had was the opposite of fun....

Old TG could fake urgency, even if some 'races' were a bit contrived.

As features go, it was so poor.

The Aston in Abu Dhabi was great mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And also.... they are all so damn huggy!

Everyone's hugging everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it more they could lose Evans, Sabine and Jordan and it'd be a far tighter show. Maybe Keep LeBlanc as the front-man with Harris and Reid as full and equal co-hosts.

As it is it's like:

Tonight on diversity... er I mean Top Gear:

A Ginger tool shouts a lot
    An American reads from the cue cards
    A German woman drives an Audi
    We sent the black guy to drive an electric car (but ignore that he's far better than the other 3!)
    And our resident Irish lad Leprechaun plays the spoons

Stay Tuned! :rolleyes:

Fixed the last bit

• Advertisement

The Telegraph actually does a comparison between TG and TGT.
    TGT will have 12 episodes in it's first season and TG has 6...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bear1 wrote: »

There won't be a new season I reckon, or if there is it'll be a new line-up and name.

TG is Clarkson, Hammond and May. Love them or loathe them they ARE the brand. The cars are incidental.. it's more about watching 3 middle-aged mates arsing around with various motors and having a laugh together

Trying to continue the show and worse, the format, without the 3 who fronted and made it their own was a serious error by the BBC. Probably not helped by the constant reruns of "old" TG on Dave to remind everyone how it used to be done.

There won't be a new season I reckon, or if there is it'll be a new line-up and name.

TG is Clarkson, Hammond and May. Love them or loathe them they ARE the brand. The cars are incidental.. it' more about watching 3 middle-aged mates arsing around with various motors and having a laugh together

Trying to continue the show and worse, the format, without the 3 who fronted and made it their own was a serious error by the BBC. Probably not helped by the constant reruns of "old" TG on Dave to remind everyone how it used to be done.

I'd be surprised if they threw in the towel after 1 season.
    I imagine they'd have a huge payout to the presenters? Contractual issues I mean or I wonder if they have for now a 1 season contract to test the waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they threw in the towel after 1 season.
    I imagine they'd have a huge payout to the presenters? Contractual issues I mean or I wonder if they have for now a 1 season contract to test the waters?

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of exit clause if it didn't do well. Be foolish not to have it given the way the 3 lads WERE the show.

And also.... they are all so damn huggy!

Everyone's hugging everyone.

That's in all their contracts, they must also have a weekly love-in with the producers.

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of exit clause if it didn't do well. Be foolish not to have it given the way the 3 lads WERE the show.

I'd agree with you there.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/17/top-gearchris-evans-bbc-pay-radio-2-graham-norton

According to this he has a 3 year contract so I'd love to see the T&Cs for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I can't subject myself to any more of this incarnation of the show. It'll bankrupt me with dental bills from the amount I'm grinding my teeth watching it.

Evans is the primary issue, he's a dislikable control freak. Evans must SHOUT, Evans must turn the set into a chatshow studio (even down to the balcony), he's turned the SIARPC into a chatshow segment. It's excruciating. Also, he has zero chemistry with any of the other contributors.

LeBlanc is tolerable, although I'm amazed that someone who has made a living as (an average) actor, can deliver his lines in such a wooden manner (if he's aiming for deadpan, he's missing the target badly)

Harris and Reid - I could take or leave them to be honest. I don't mind Reid in particular, but I think occasional appearances are probably best, as his overenthusiastic narration style could begin to grate fairly quickly.

Sabine - great driver. Has no business being a presenter.

Jordan - I have no idea what he's doing there in his role as court jester/village idiot. Adds nothing whatsoever.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned, is how much of an influence Andy Wilman (former producer) had, and how much a loss he is. He's gone to Amazon with the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Chris Harris and Rory Reid segments were great. It's falling down in the challenge thing. Clarkson and co did equally if not more stupid shít, but it somehow worked. This just feels like people who are trying to imitate someone else's style and failing badly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Agricola wrote: »
    The Chris Harris and Rory Reid segments were great.
    Yeah I'm liking those guys. LeBLanc isn't too bad, Sabine, I like, but… Jordan is a waste of time and a waste of him IMH. Evans. Nope. TFI grand, TG, no, just no.
    Clarkson and co did equally if not more stupid shít, but it somehow worked.
    Because they're actual mates that actually hang out with one another on the regular, outside the programme. And that comes across. The situations are forced, but their friendships and camaraderie aren't and viewers can pick up on that. It is extremely difficult to fake that and you won't fake it for long.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Chris Evans doing the star section makes me want to ram my head against a wall..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hang on just a minute....

I only just copped it. Did they change the fastest lap times writing?

All the jokey "koenigseggeggeggegg" etc stuff is gone.

****ing hell, how petty can you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Vicxas wrote: »
    Chris Evans doing the star section makes me want to ram my head against a wall..

To be fair it's always been ****.

Its the quarter of a show that i never watched.

I could care less about who kim kardashian shagged this week, thank you very much.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hang on just a minute....

I only just copped it. Did they change the fastest lap times writing?

All the jokey "koenigseggeggeggegg" etc stuff is gone.

****ing hell, how petty can you get?

I mentioned it a few weeks back.
    Amazing that they wanted all traces of JC gone but then went ahead and made stupid jokes on his behalf and Evans in general trying to act like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Have RTE stopped broadcasting the new series?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They mentioned 'grand tour' during the Eddie jordan train segment. I though it odd as nothing is left to chance on script for this show.
    Cheeky little dig at ireland too re launching a sesna in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

bonzos wrote: »
    Have RTE stopped broadcasting the new series?

With the Euros on they have taken a back seat, they missed this weeks and will also miss next weeks, no idea if they plan to show them back to back or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mickdw wrote: »
    They mentioned 'grand tour' during the Eddie jordan train segment. I though it odd as nothing is left to chance on script for this show.
    Cheeky little dig at ireland too re launching a sesna in defence.

could you explain any of this please, I am at a total loss as to what you are on about. Why is mentioning grand tour odd ? and what about a cessna now ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    could you explain any of this please, I am at a total loss as to what you are on about. Why is mentioning grand tour odd ? and what about a cessna now ?

The Grand Tour is the name of the old crew's impending new show. The Cessna was just a joke by a physicist regarding our lack of air defence (against an unidentified plane coming in at 600mph over Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RobAMerc wrote: »

The grand tour - Clarksons new show.

Re sesna, they spoke of flying a British fighter jet towards ireland and when questions about what would happen if they over flew ireland at above mach 1, the pilot quipped, the irish would **** their pants seeing them approach on early warning systems and that the Irish would launch their sessna in defence.
    I'm half thinking of writing a letter to broadcasting complaints just to take the piss.

Watching the episode now.
    This cooking in the car segment, just whaa??
    Pointless challenge.
    But.. Id love a go at Sabine. I said that out loud?
    Feckin ride she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Add to the UK are our early warning system. They had to tell us there were Russian bombers flying only 30km off the West coast as we could not see them but UK radar can see further over the West of Ireland than our radar systems can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

mickdw wrote: »
    I'm half thinking of writing a letter to broadcasting complaints just to take the piss.

Please don't

My god that stars segment is horrible.
    Where they introduce what the other is doing is cringe.
    The dig at Irelands defence though id agree with him on that.

They are going to Ireland next week to repair the damage done by some unknown celebrity physicist? Start of next weeks show will have a letter from some Irish brothers(Podge & Rodge?) or disgruntled from Dingle complaining about their criticism of our air defences.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They are going to Ireland next week to repair the damage done by some unknown celebrity physicist? Start of next weeks show will have a letter from some Irish brothers(Podge & Rodge?) or disgruntled from Dingle complaining about their criticism of our air defences.

You're joking right? I really hope so.

Advertisement