Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Overall, I enjoyed the series. As I mentioned before, the show had become rather stale and repetitive, so was hardly the pinnacle of TV before Clarkson's axing.

I think most of the features were as good as the CHM days, but the studio bits (which are clearly scripted and heavily rehearsed) come across very wooden. Especially Eddie and Sabine - they are both enthusiastic and watchable in the features, but can't act to save their lives in the studio bits.

I think Matt has been excellent and a real surprise. He's clearly a real petrol head and his dry wit was entertaining. Rory & Chris worked out alright too - it's clear they're already experienced motor journos, so are worth listening to.

Evans is clearly the divisive figure - people who already hated him are not going to be able to warm to him in Top Gear. I personally don't mind him, but he doesn't seem entirely suited to the show. His presentation is rather forced and his motor industry ignorance shows through at times. It was noticeable that his screen time diminished as the series went on, which was fine because the others did a good job.

So the series has been far from the disaster some have made out. The double interview slots are unnecessary and the car "top trumps" is lame. Evans has enough experience as an interviewer that they should be able to improve that segment.

Other than that, I'd be happy enough with more of the same for next series (if there is one...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Evans is good on the radio and in that tgi friday show but the only reason he took on this show was as a pet project and it has flopped completely if the ratings are to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Evans is bearable in the features but totally unbearable in the studio. The celebrity section used to be hit and miss, now it is totally awful. Clarkson was far more entertaining and seemed to draw more craic out of the guests.

I personally miss the whole 3 musketeers thing and thought it was always entertaining but this new series needed to be viewed seperately and not compared IMO. It was watchable but to a general audience I don't think it would be as easy as to somebody already into cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

It could easily be clipped back to 3 , Rory ,Matt & Chris . Clip Evans and Jordan.
    I didn't actually mind Evans segment last night but his studio self is awful . It feels and looks like school panto .
    Jordan really doesn't bring anything just playing the fool and for someone with his back ground to just be doing that wasted . Better off with Sabine as the racing influence

If they do keep Sabine use her properly . She is a racing driver . There has to be some insight to gain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I the only one who can't remember the other 2 lads' names? Rory & Chris (I had to google). I find their features great, but found it odd how they're introduced by others. Like last night Matt LeBlanc introduced a segment on muscle cars, but then it was Rory (or Chris?) who did the piece (which was quite good btw).

I don't understand the stars in the rallycross car bit either. Having 2 guests on makes no sense, they don't have time to talk to either as a result. Last night they had a comedian who didn't get much of a chance to make jokes and an actor who also has driven in Le Mans, but they barely mentioned it other than as part of his "best car" section. Could have been so much more interesting.

To continue the negatives, I don't think we yet know the kinds of cars people like. We knew Clarkson was all about power, Hammond likes muscle cars and 911s, May was into sensible motors. But what about the new drivers? Still no clearer to me after 6 episodes.

For me though, it wasn't bad series, it was fine. Some kinks and growing pains. I reckon they have too many presenters (I'd drop Sabine & Jordan) and the series came across a little aimless - some episodes with lots of road tests, some of the challenges were pointless. But I'm sure if they're given the time they'll grow into it.

On the subject of Chris Evans, I don't mind him. If they want to keep him, fine. Although if it's a choice between him and LeBlanc, I would prefer Joey (but I suspect the beeb would go in the other direction).

Next season is September is it? Will give them a better chance at the ratings at least - odd choice to start series when the Euros are on. Although they'll be up against The Grand Tour then, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Ok, I thought overall the series was good. Different to what went before, but better than I expected. It started nervously, but improved a lot over the series, I saw all of them except the 3rd one with the Ferrari TdF. My verdict:

Chris Evans: Has to go. I never saw him on TV before as I lived abroad, he's fine on the radio, but unsuited to this format. Yes, he's shouty, but there's something else in the charisma stakes that he just doesn't have.
    And FFS, change the bloody clothes, he deserves a slap for wearing the same tatty crap day in, day out. 3/10

Matt Le Blanc: He grew into the role and has the makings of a fine presenter, he's certainly better than Clarkson, May or Hammond at the same stage in their careers, but they really grew into their roles. 9/10

Rory Reid: enjoyed the reviews, worth keeping on. 8/10

Chris Harris: Same as Rory Reid, excellent reviews and he knows his stuff. 9/10

Eddie Jordan: Sorry, but a waste of someone with good knowledge of F1, so unless they do the odd F1 segment or similar where he can do a pre recorded bit, then he needs to go. 2/10

Sabine: Great arse, top driver but no stage presence. She could be kept for road and track tests, but she doesn't have the certain something for the studio, but her knowledge on the track, especially the Ring needs to be used. Like Eddie, relegate her to a guest expert role. 5/10

Car reviews: Cinematography and editing as always top notch, no complaints there. 10/10

SIARPC: Worst segment, though tbh I usually hated it, they rarely get a good guest on before, but these days it's just nonsense. It's just a promotion of whatever project they are working on followed by their best/first cars. Repetitive, boring rubbish. 1/10

Rallycross Car: Painfully slow at times, doesn't have the feel for speed as the Liana etc. You can see this at it's worst in the hairpin in the wet, they've almost stopped. I'd suggest a return to the original format, or just do Autocross or something. 2/10

Road Trips: We had the Reliants, the SUV's in South Africa and the trip to Venice. They were both bad, the camaraderie and messing llike with CMH isn't there yet, and won't be for a while. To be fair the old TG ones were getting stale and it was hard to replicate the Bolivian or Vietnam ones or the Cross channel in a Hilux. Evans would be a nightmare on something like that, it would be better with Matt, Chris Harris and Rory. 4/10

So overall the potential is there. I think some people weren't prepared to give it a chance at all. There were loads of people who claimed they only watched it for 5 minutes and then switched it off permanently, but they were never going to be able to be pleased anyway. It needed to maintain elements of the old onw and still try something new, so in many ways they were going to lose from the outset.

Some things just don't work, like the interviews, but they need to have the courage to change that for the autumn series and see how they get on. The three lads will be on Amazon at the same time it seems and for someone like me, I just see it as the best of both worlds having two (hopefully) excellent car programmes on TV instead of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

jesus lads I do not get why everyone is being so tough on Evans - He is known to be an total car nut (has a fantastic collection) and I think his shoutiness can be attributed to his absolutely being thrilled to be on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Evans stepping down from Top Gear...

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/749969917055799296?lang=en
    Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Smart move. He was a poor choice at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wow - the show obviously got some very constructive feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Rory Reid is absolutely fantastic. Watching the show just for his segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Writing must have been on the wall for him. When did they film the last show? It was usually mid-week? Wonder if he knew then he was going to go?

Bigger question now is what do the BBC do. If they're smart they'll come out immediately with a plan for what's next - be it the rest of the presenters continuing on, or new presenter team again, or cancelling. Don't leave a vacuum build up though...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Bring back Tiff thats what I say :pac:

I hope thats a joke. He tries too hard on fifth gear as it is to be entertaining and comes across as a pr1ck but then again so did Clarkson and it might work

Parachutes wrote: »
    Rory Reid is absolutely fantastic. Watching the show just for his segments.

I prefer Chris Harris to RR

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I am surprised, although the writing was on the wall the way they'd phased him out and Matt in for the studio segments. Does this mean Matt takes over (not a bad idea) or they get another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I feel a bit sorry for Chris Evans. I don't particularly like him, but he's been made the fall guy for everything that has went wrong with Top Gear. The problem is the whole thing has become safe, wooden and amateurish. None of the hosts or features that they did had me seriously interested or laughing. Honestly, if they did away with the entire thing I wouldn't be fussed at all. If you ask me, if you want a car show, then Wheeler Dealers is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Harika

dulpit wrote: »

Bigger question now is what do the BBC do. If they're smart they'll come out immediately with a plan for what's next - be it the rest of the presenters continuing on, or new presenter team again, or cancelling. Don't leave a vacuum build up though...

Promote Chris Harris or Matt LeBlanc to main presenter. With Rory Reid, they have three fantastic guys to run it in future. Eddie and Sabine can be used sometimes, but they are not really necessary and so far haven't added any value to TopGear.
    They should also let the presenters speak more freely as the scripts fitted to Hammond, May and Clarkson but not to the new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

sometimes you would be better to pull the plug and start something new rather than try to emulate a hugely popular show.

What chance of it being replaced with a proper car show now?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think Evans problem was he came to the show thinking it was an extension of his role on TFI Friday, he came across too loud and brash as if the show was an extra segment on TFI, the BBC should have realised it would be hard to tame him back so he wasn't the centre of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think I can hear Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard he's not a real hamster Hammond laughing....

I don't think , they need another presenter . Too many cooks already. They have enough to proceed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

...And I just posted this a couple of hours ago. :)
    Red Kev wrote: »

Chris Evans: Has to go. I never saw him on TV before as I lived abroad, he's fine on the radio, but unsuited to this format. Yes, he's shouty, but there's something else in the charisma stakes that he just doesn't have.
    And FFS, change the bloody clothes, he deserves a slap for wearing the same tatty crap day in, day out. 3/10

Have to say I respect the fact that Evans saw the writing on the wall and jumped before it got messy.

Anyway, onwards and upwards; Have Le Blanc and Harris presenting, possibly with Rory Reid in studio doing news features and on the road doing reviews.

If you want to do road trips and specials then get Le Blanc, Harris and a guest or two like Steve Coogan, Jimmy Carr etc. to cause a bit of mayhem. Might be worth doing for a trip or two.

It's a format and a programme that's going to stay, there's no question about that; it will evolve and change with time. I mean, Clarkson, May and Hammond would also have to go eventually, so changing presenters is nothing new on TV.

The next question is what's the best way to do it in the future, the second series should be fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow - the show obviously got some very constructive feedback!
    Zascar wrote: »

Ye, I'd say when the lowest ever ratings came in for last nights show he didn't have much option.

Whatever about the football being on, but when more people are watching 'Antiques Roadshow' you know you're in trouble!
    An average 1.9m viewers watched Sunday night's episode of the motoring show - 8.6% of the available audience.
    BBC One's Antiques Roadshow, which also overlapped with Top Gear, was watched by an average of 3.9 million.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Some say getting rid of the Stig segment is a must .

The lead thing needs to go its very tired. But "Stig" was a source of info before and should be again not just the joke on the lead in. Didn't hear "his" opinions once on any of the hot lap cars this season. And that counts for a lot if its the same driver for the season comparing the cars. and there was always info passed before

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

This series review sums up what most of us on here think:
    Top Gear: the verdict on the first post-Clarkson season
    i.e. The interviews and rallycross were rubbish. But they also bemoan the loss of the "news" section.

But isn't that what "Extra Gear" has become? Mostly Chris and Rory doing the news, a couple of extra feature articles and an additional pointless celebrity interview.

I know the TV landscape is changing and additional online fare like "Extra Gear" seems to be the done thing these days, but I personally enjoy Extra Gear and think it should be in the main show in place of the SIARPRC (minus the celebrity guest)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I assumed and even said I thought he'd get to the 2nd series and the whole thing would be dumped but it improved from the first show, however, Evans remained the fly in the ointment and was hard to like with his on screen antics.

At least he had the sense to step down or was probably talked down by the BBC bosses on the back of some serious criticism from anyone watching it.

Joeface wrote: »
    Some say getting rid of the Stig segment is a must .

The lead thing needs to go its very tired. But "Stig" was a source of info before and should be again not just the joke on the lead in. Didn't hear "his" opinions once on any of the hot lap cars this season. And that counts for a lot if its the same driver for the season comparing the cars. and there was always info passed before

The Stig thing has to stay: I mean if Ferrari bring out a new car then how the bloody hell are we supposed to see how it compares to any existing Lambo, Aston, Porsche on the road? TG track and the Nurburgring are good ways to measure that.

One of the most anticipated showdowns; and something I'm surprised they didn't have on this year was the LaFerrari v P1 v 918 comparison. They can have all the moody cinematography they want and indeed all the biased opinions they want, but the bottom line is how fast they go around the TG track and the only man (or woman) to do that is The Stig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

Apparently none of them got on with Evans and I think that shone through. The show has lived for so long on banter. Get another good co-presenter in there who works well with Matt and I think it could be successful. They'll probably cut the show's budget for next year but I don't think it should matter. There's no real need to be flying the whole crew off around the world. Some of my favourite memories from the old Top Gear are the lads trying to cross the English Channel, Clarkson test driving the Reliant Robin and Hammond trying to leg it out of the Triumph on the handbrake test. They're all well known now and we're accustomed to them but watching those 'live' on a Sunday you sure as hell weren't switching over. All in the UK as far as I remember.

Advertisement