Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Someone should tell him he's not on radio anymore:

Q03rUXd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Patww79 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Each to their own but calling bike boring??? Seriously? You must do better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Just wondering what you find boring about it really.

More overtakes on lap 1 than an entire car gp? Crashes riders can get up and walk away from, machine control instead of electronics etc.
    Personalities not robots (edit - seriously though LH wtf?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

g1983d wrote: »
    When they were in Kerry filming I found Evans to be the nicer of the two, I know it was only a brief encounter but we talked cars and no problem with a selfie, le Blanc wouldn't even look up in case someone caught his eye

He was in a pile of selfies and photos from that day.

Pretty boring series so far, can't see the last episode pulling it from the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I feel sorry for Chris Harris actually. He seems incredibly uncomfortable in the studio. His prior work and work on Top Gear have been excellent, but they really shouldn't be parading him out in front of the audience.

Frankly the whole live audience bit should be scrapped. Its painful, absolutely no chemistry and the Stars in the Rally Cross segment seem genuinely uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have to say I think the bit about delivering the Jag was superb, really entertaining an informative. Sadly I thought Chris Harris's bit was awful with him pulling faces and trying a bit too hard - I dont recognise it as his normal demeanor.
    They made kerry look absolutely fantastic and probably got to a larger audience than than Bord Failte could do in a hundred years.
    I have to say I respect that LeBlanc and Evans are both genuine car nuts and feel a kinship with both for that. Although I think LeBlanc needs to "act" less and be a bit more real.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Looking good tonight so far. I'm liking the Honda :D

Autosport wrote: »
    Looking good tonight so far. I'm liking the Honda :D

Chris Evans may not be as happy as you are right now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/bbc-stands-by-chris-evans-as-presenter-faces-police-questioning/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Oh if only they would just get rid of him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really liking leBlanc. He really seems to love the cars, kinda like Hammond was on the show

Evans is still acting forced. I hope they give him the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn't le blanc throw his toys out if the pram and say he'd leave if Evans didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

In a fairly big thread it's telling that the season 'finale' has a handful of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

In a fairly big thread it's telling that the season 'finale' has a handful of posts.

And at least two of them have nothing to do with the actual finale :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Chris Evans is ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I have the last 3 episodes including tonight's SKY+'d .......have still to watch any of them and I just can't be asked to find the time and watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I cant stand Evans but i can't believe the season was so short.

If they just cut evans, jordan and sabine and stuck with matt and the 2 others i reckon it could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Evans wearing the same clothes again tonight in the studio, thats for about 4 shows worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Chris wearing the same clothes again and again, now there's a surprise... Not!

I'll be a happy man if I never see Chris again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Chris wearing the same clothes again and again, now there's a surprise... Not!

Maybe it's for a bet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Evans wearing the same clothes again tonight in the studio, thats for about 4 shows worth.

He's worn them in all six shows as far as I can be bothered to remember, something very odd about a 50 year old wearing clothes that would fit the average 13-16 year old. It's like he never grew up and that would go well with reports of his bullying tantrums and flashing at women he works with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's a trend...

tumblr_inline_mn3u30qXSO1qz4rgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

He's loaded i doubt the are the 'same' clothes just the same clothes lol

Last nights episode was on the best top gear episodes in a long long time, they are almost there with this new formula - just dump evans and they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I suppose this series was a pilot in a way.
    The presenters were on trial and we should see who made it next season.

I thought Rory Reid was a little wooden, but he got great reviews in the press so I expect he will return. I just don't see him as bringing anything innovative.

Matt LeBlanc,
    He was a surprise and had some excellent sarcastic moments. It helps that he is popular with people as well.

Sabine,
    The language barrier is too great for her to be a fluid addition to the show.

Eddie Jordan,
    I think he could have his uses, if the show was to do features from racing events he could be a good person to have behind the scenes.
    He needs to settle in a bit and not overplay things.
    So I would maybe extend the trial.

Chris Harris,
    He's a bit like a movie director fresh from success that's been given a big budget sequel.
    He needs less filming budget so he focuses more on his dialogue and maybe more everyday cars so he can give constructive criticism.
    It's also what affected Clarkson to a degree.

Chris Evans,
    I'm not a fan, that's all really

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I agree! Cut Chris Evans as he is unbearable, and Sabine as I haven't a clue what shes on about half the time and is quite loud/annoying! Use Eddie Jordan more sparingly. I like the rest of them...

At least it got better as it went on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I suppose this series was a pilot in a way.
    The presenters were on trial and we should see who made it next season.
    One of them may indeed be on trial for the next season:D

As for top gear being a trial year, the yanks and australians and other countries have done this as good as the original three so the only thing screwing up this series on the BBC vcan be the input from Chris Evans!
    I thought Rory Reid was a little wooden, but he got great reviews in the press so I expect he will return. I just don't see him as bringing anything innovative.
    No argument there, he should be buried in the hopefully soon to be closed rallycross section.
    Matt LeBlanc,
    He was a surprise and had some excellent sarcastic moments. It helps that he is popular with people as well.
    He was a nice surprise and has got much better as he settled into the role.
    Sabine,
    The language barrier is too great for her to be a fluid addition to the show.
    Agreed, another for the rallycross infill.
    Eddie Jordan,
    I think he could have his uses, if the show was to do features from racing events he could be a good person to have behind the scenes.
    He needs to settle in a bit and not overplay things.
    So I would maybe extend the trial.
    Any good friend of Chris Evans has no place on the show! This old Leprechaun has to go!
    Chris Harris,
    He's a bit like a movie director fresh from success that's been given a big budget sequel.
    He needs less filming budget so he focuses more on his dialogue and maybe more everyday cars so he can give constructive criticism.
    It's also what affected Clarkson to a degree.
    Agreed, he adds a lot to the show but needs to be refined some more.
    Chris Evans,
    I'm not a fan, that's all really

Just my opinion.
    Evans was too busy for this show but took it on because it was something he always wanted to do, despite him being a totally different type of presenter to what is required for top gear. He has made a mess of the SIARPC slot with his talk show crap trying to bring his tgi friday into the mix along with his radio show format.

Evans is the weakest link and fails totally with top gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I think the show improved as it went on and settled into its groove, and we got more used to it. LeBlanc is very good 90% of the time; his enthusiasm and ability to deliver a line is great but he, bizarrely, comes across as wooden when narrating on a segment. Rory is very amiable and enthusiastic and also a big plus to the show, while Chris Harris's expertise shines through. Eddie is wasted playing the fool; there's no point in him continuing unless he's actually going to use his vast experience of motor racing. Sabine is good in driving segments but not so hot at the repartee, so she should be used wisely. As for Chris Evans, he doesn't grate on me as much as he does on others but if he went, the show would no worse off. I only noticed the clothes thing this week and it really is odd.

An overall issue I have is that in the last few episodes it seemed to be car review after car review. It seemed to lack imagination (if you consider things like attaching a rocket to a Reliant Robin, or making amphibious cars). I know some of the silliness annoyed people but you can have challenges with a focus on the engineering or car aspects, which without the forced chumminess can make great TV.

Advertisement