Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Rory Reid was brilliant. Hopefully Evans will quit and hand it over to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

gave it the 3 week rule , comparing first ep to third ep . big improvement . I just plain don't like Evan's even with his reduced involvement as far as I can see between weeks 1 and 3 he makes it hard to watch. Reid was a good enough addition and is way more comfortable around the set. Even though Matt is doing his best tv game show host he is still fine in it . Will Probably stay watching it now . It really is just chewing gum for a Sunday evening or some other eveing when its raining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Quite good, by far the best yet....Evans taking a backseat somewhat for large parts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I wonder would that guy that had his own classic motor show a while back be a good addition? Don't know his name but he plays a gruff Cop in an English Police drama set in the 70's. He was very good and had a bit of wit about him if I remember correctly. Does anyone know the chap I'm on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Jesus. wrote: »
    I wonder would that guy that had his own classic motor show a while back be a good addition? Don't know his name but he plays a gruff Cop in an English Police drama set in the 70's. He was very good and had a bit of wit about him if I remember correctly. Does anyone know the chap I'm on about?

I'll leave this here for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hdECKz_0k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I'll leave this here for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01hdECKz_0k

I recently rewatched life on mars

Watching that YouTube vid has made me want to hunt out ashes to ashes at all costs. I watched this when it first came out. I forgot how feckin brilliant it was.

It'll be worth watching top gear just to see DCI Hunt in a rally car :)

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah, this was the predecessor to ashes. IMHO slightly better than ashes to ashes (but most of my friends disagree). It also adds information and context when watching ashes.

Would strongly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

Couldn't agree more, watched his show at the time and thought he would be perfect for top Gear. Whoever thought that Chris Evans was the answer needs his head read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ant Anstead and Phil Glenister would be two good additions to Top Gear. As would Tim Shaw off Car SOS. There are a lot lads floating around the car scene in UK TV who would be better than Evans, Eddie Jordan, Matt le Blanc.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Harris doesn't do it for me. You need someone with a bit of character and/or a bit funny for a show like this. Harris doesn't have it. He's more of a motor magazine type of guy. The black guy in the Focus was closer to the mark.

But Rory wouldn’t discuss the downforce the F12 creates. Different strokes.
    The way Chris Harris desribes driving a car and the feeling you get from it is second to none. I've followed him on Drive and then his own channel, he actually knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Have somehow missed all 3 so far :(

Has anyone a link to where you can view it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

RedorDead wrote: »
    Have somehow missed all 3 so far :(

Has anyone a link to where you can view it?

BBC iPlayer.

But jokes aside. rte are also showing it. Might on their player too.

Sitec wrote: »
    But Rory wouldn’t discuss the downforce the F12 creates. Different strokes.The way Chris Harris desribes driving a car and the feeling you get from it is second to none. I've followed him on Drive and then his own channel, he actually knows what he's talking about.

Indeed mate. Motor Magazine stuff. Not Top Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wasnt the worst episode i thought.

The Ferrari piece i thought was actually quite good. Its something that would work well

Im not too sold on sabine , i think her journalism skills arent best suited to tv, whatever about her driving , just her on screen isint the best. I think she was best as she was shown in the transit nurbergring bit back in the day. I dont think she shouldve being dragged onto the show.

The interview went well but no thanks to evans. The guests really stole it and went back to basics with it. They really need to drop this audience interaction crap or best and worst car.

The london sightseeing bit. It felt like a gap filler, like they had nothing better to do , a bit they couldn't even introduce well

The focus vs civic vs merc was a good bit. Real tests and comparisons and more of what the show is about i think.

The lecuna seca was very underplayed i think

And i think the evans vomitting joke is going too far at this stage.

I think the producers etc feel evans isint great either which is why he has less of a role in the show this time round. I think his stage presence isint great, hes like an over grown child in my opinion. I wouldnt be surprised if he was asked to stick to the radio and let the other 4-5 presenters do the job together.

Overall i will keep watching because its not the worst , i think these are teething problems that will fade out but changes have to be made because it wont work as it is.

They really need to drop this audience interaction crap or best and worst car.

Funnily enough I thought that was a decent addition to the new show. Especially when its a Yank vs a Brit

1st car? "Chevy Camaro"

1st car? "Fiat Uno"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Funnily enough I thought that was a decent addition to the new show. Especially when its a Yank vs a Brit

1st car? "Chevy Camaro"

1st car? "Fiat Uno"

:pac:
    Not when it drags on and on and on for about 1/3rd of the show. Evans loves the sound of his own voice! He's got a face for radio and a voice for the old silent movies!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thought it was a great episode. Chris Harris and Rory Reid are both fantastic additions to the show. Couldn't really fault the episode, that Ken Block stuff while impressive is a little bit boring and while the celebrity section was great this week with a comedian like Kevin hart, its just a little bit forced and the fact that Chris Evans always tries to match their score as if they are kids is annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Not enjoying this at all. Maybe it's a slow starter and once the presenters have some time to get to know each other and develop chemistry it will improve. For now though I'm afraid I'm out.

Evans constant shouting at the camera and Le Blanc wooden demeanor means I've given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

conzy wrote: »
    Thought it was a great episode. Chris Harris and Rory Reid are both fantastic additions to the show. Couldn't really fault the episode, that Ken Block stuff while impressive is a little bit boring and while the celebrity section was great this week with a comedian like Kevin hart, its just a little bit forced and the fact that Chris Evans always tries to match their score as if they are kids is annoying

Yep,enjoyed it,trip around London was fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

This episode was actually decent. I watched it from start to end but I still find Chris' voice irritating. Loved the hot hatch segment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I thought Chris Harris and Rory Reid were great additions to the show

Harris' segment in particular was excellent (though in fairness a lot of that might have been down to the car)

I watch it whilst my wife tolerates it being on and generally ignores most of it but the Harris segment really grabbed her attention and she commented that it was a proper car review and I would have to agree with her

Much improved episode and a lot of that was due to Evan's taking a bit of a back seat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

OSI wrote: »
    Apparently Harris is going to be bringing CHOC style videos to the TopGear website: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/chris-harris-coming-topgearcom

Might actually watch that. Wouldn't be arsed with topgear, tbh. I was donkey TV long before the new crowd arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    The rest of the show was fairly good. Loved the new Focus RS!! I bet anyone who has bought a Golf R feels a right tit :D

I'd still buy the R tomorrow if I had the means. As good as the Focus RS, its just not a car for me as I grow gently into my middle years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭ofcork

Wonder why they didnt have the R on as well as the civic and A45.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

thought this week was much better. Yer Man Roy was v-good i thought.
    He should be in the studio more.

Ok, time to be highly controversial.

I have decided that I prefer this new top gear version.

I'm really enjoying this evenings ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭ofcork

Still the same thing just different presenters.

Advertisement