Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

ads20101 wrote: »
    Ok, time to be highly controversial.

I have decided that I prefer this new top gear version.

I'm really enjoying this evenings ep.

The Vulcan bit by Harris was great, the noise! Roadtrip is the usual sh!te. The Model X was well done, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

thought this week was much better. Yer Man Roy was v-good i thought.
    He should be in the studio more.

Absolutely, Rory Reid had a bit of passion about what he was doing, loved his feature...

The show closed with Eddie Jordan playing the spoons... FFS !!

Sabine, well, we all have our soft spots :o

Could loose Matt & Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Just 23 minutes in at the moment. So far this episode is good, liking the road trip but jesus is the A8 maggoty!! Gross car and not what I would have picked myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

ANY eddie Jordan is too much !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Haven't watched any episodes since the first one (leaving cert) but the consensus here seems to be they've been better? Might actually watch them after I'm done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Senecio wrote: »
    I'd still buy the R tomorrow if I had the means. As good as the Focus RS, its just not a car for me as I grow gently into my middle years.

That's actually quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭g1983d

The episode filed in Kerry is out next week by the sounds of it.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with it as the weather was unreal that week.

Met Chris Evans when they were filming and I thought he was a really nice guy who knew his stuff about cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Loved the Vulcan segment! The Tesla was good too.

Cooking in the back of cars, though... meh. Less of that please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

g1983d wrote: »
    The episode filed in Kerry is out next week by the sounds of it.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with it as the weather was unreal that week.

Met Chris Evans when they were filming and I thought he was a really nice guy who knew his stuff about cars.
    He should get someone to buy him some clothes that fit, what he was wearing tonight would fit a 12 year old, and that yellow tee-shirt under the pullover was on him from episode 1, it must stink by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I quite like Rory Reid & Chris Harris in this, their enthusiasm is infectious. Why not have them as main hosts with Le Blanc. He seems a likeable chap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I missed the episode tonight - is it repeated on the BBC ?

repeated tomorrow night on BBC2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, I couldnt see the point in the bit with the aston - I did enjoy the rest of it ( although I skipped the star blah blah sh*te ). On another note, that Rory lad is excellent and is probably the only one on it that is doing it for the money !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

skipper_G wrote: »
    I quite like Rory Reid & Chris Harris in this, their enthusiasm is infectious. Why not have them as main hosts with Le Blanc. He seems a likeable chap
    Rory Reid reminds me of Hammond when he started on the show.
    His segment on the Tesla X was the first time the new series has captured the old shows magic.

Also why was I watching two people trying to cook fish on a camping stove in a layby. :confused:
    Hope the producers take on all the feedback that they're getting and make the next series better.
    It would be great to see "the news" segment make a comeback as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

There was less of Evans in this episode, I feel that some of the feedback might be being taken on board already! Great to see. The star section was again improved this week. Not as good as when Kevin Heart was on but better than the others. Perhaps Evans is finding his feet slightly?

On another note, though I thought the segment about the Tesela was fairly good I thought the car was gross!!! How can the same company that make the beautiful Model S make that:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,185 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The less of Evans shouting his face off the better, I actually think LeBlanc is grand, all the show is missing is an Evans exit, let LeBlanc take the main role and let Chris take a back seat as a producer. I don't like the way Eddie Jordan is been portrayed as an out and out gombeen, the man has more motorsport knowledge than all the cast on current and past Top Gears combined.

The less of Evans shouting his face off the better, I actually think LeBlanc is grand, all the show is missing is an Evans exit, let LeBlanc take the main role and let Chris take a back seat as a producer. I don't like the way Eddie Jordan is been portrayed as an out and out gombeen, the man has more motorsport knowledge than all the cast on current and past Top Gears combined.

It's not a motorsports show though and Jordan has no businesses being on it. Wtf are they doing with those chefs for that challange? It's more like an who's who of forgotten celebs now than anything else. It is produced more like a radio show IMO which can only see it fail.

M

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It's not a motorsports show though and Jordan has no businesses being on it. Wtf are they doing with those chefs for that challange? It's more like an who's who of forgotten celebs now than anything else. It is produced more like a radio show IMO which can only see it fail.

The challenge was completely wrong, what have chefs got to do with anything and why was LeBlanc on a motobike on a pure car show. I got the impression that the cars were bought for said price but were fully serviced at multiples of the cost price. It's so much more fun when realistically your luxo barge goes wrong and you bodge repair it which I am sure if would have at those initial prices. These challenges where they try to present minutes of a difference in the finish are idiotic, a team of 100 plus people would be involved in acurately presenting and recording this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

He should get someone to buy him some clothes that fit, what he was wearing tonight would fit a 12 year old, and that yellow tee-shirt under the pullover was on him from episode 1, it must stink by now?
    Eddie Jordan's pants get tighter by the episode

If it was simply a motorsports show it'd be as boring as fukk and would only appeal to out & out petrol heads. The challenges etc add a bit of entertainment and if they drop those the show will fail because it will only appeal to a very small audience. The bullsh1t is what made Top Gear great.

I actually like Jordan in it. Yer man Rory is good too. Not mad on Harris.
    what have chefs got to do with anything and why was LeBlanc on a motobike on a pure car show.
    Its not a pure car show mate. There's plenty of them on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Episode 1 was crap, so was episode 2.

Evans and leblanc aren't entertaining in cars...Fine in the studio though.

The two new guys they rolled out for episode 3 were great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marymary1984

Think the ratings are poor too - I'd say they'll return with different cast next season - Evans is not everyone's cup of tea - starting to remind me of the x-factor - same thing over and over again. Either kill it when it's on top or change it completely. Currently they are killing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I would be gobsmacked if they go with a new cast next year.

They have invested too much into this, also remember that clarckson et al took a couple of season to get going (with a presenter change as well)

I'm not ruling out a small cull, but a replacement of the entire crew. Not likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm not ruling out a small cull, but a replacement of the entire crew. Not likely

Its already been confirmed by one of the new lads on episode 3, that both he and the other newbie would be featuring more during the season.

The origional plan was to use their footage for "Extra gear", but after people liked their stuff more than that of Evans', there is going to be a bit of a shuffle this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

It wasn't a bad show last night. I liked most of it. The stars in the cars is a big bore for me chris still is letting it down I can't see him been there long term he just seems to be trying way too hard. Matt had some great one liners last nite.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Eddie Jordan's pants get tighter by the episode
    He still wears teenager clothes but Evans has gone back to wearing stuff he saved from when he was about 10.
    If it was simply a motorsports show it'd be as boring as fukk and would only appeal to out & out petrol heads. The challenges etc add a bit of entertainment and if they drop those the show will fail because it will only appeal to a very small audience. The bullsh1t is what made Top Gear great.
    They replaced the bullsh1t with a couple of bulsh1tters, Evans and jordan have to go and so does any hint of "talk show" apart from talking to one guest about what cars they have owned, the previous format was excellent, Keep It Simple Stupid
    I actually like Jordan in it. Yer man Rory is good too. Not mad on Harris.

Its not a pure car show mate. There's plenty of them on Youtube.
    Can't stand Jordan, he doesn't fit into a car show, might as well have Louis Walsh and Simon Cowel on the show. Evans should have stayed on the Radio where we didn't have to see him.
    I would be gobsmacked if they go with a new cast next year.

They have invested too much into this, also remember that clarckson et al took a couple of season to get going (with a presenter change as well)

If they want the show to survive they will have to go back to the old format, Evans will have to go as he can't do this type of telly, Le Blanc is really good, much better than I expected and I think he should be top billing with the others pottering around. Cut the number of presenters to 4 maximum and stick with that, no Eddie Jordan or other celebrity chefs or other clowns thrown in to detract from how awful Evans is!

Get rid of that poxy rallycross crap as it is nothing to do with the ordinary Joe public!

People want to see how fast their little car will be driven by a different celebrity every week not some rallycross stage that they could never do themselves!

If they keep the format they should change the name to "Track Day Telly".

M

Only 2 episodes left this series, very short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Only 2 episodes left this series, very short one.

That has to be Good thing :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't bother with episode 3 but have 4 on here now as I'm at home today...

- Evans is still a tool and irritates me everytime he opens his mouth. I just cannot stand him
    - LeBlanc is ok but only ok. Between the two of them it's painful in the studio it's so scripted and forced
    - The other Chris (Harris) though is decent and would have fit well with CHM. Comes across very well in the AM Vulcan piece
    - Still don't see what some people think is so good about Sabine. She's just not suited to presenting IMO. Spent most of this laughing to herself??
    - Jordan isn't any better. More painful scripting and playing the spoons... FFS
    - The road trip segment was pretty much shyte and highlights exactly what's wrong with this new setup. Poor presenters and no chemistry. I didn't care who "won", it was a struggle to stick with it at all
    - The rally-cross/SIARPC bit just doesn't work IMO. Yes it was in need of a revamp, but this wasn't it
    - Rory Reid was good in the Tesla segment. Like Chris Harris seems far more comfortable and knowledgeable
    - I also don't like how Harris and the others are introduced back in studio almost as guests rather than hosts. Are they part of the main cast or not?

Finally, the whole presentation style is to try and make us think this crowd have been doing this years ("our" famous power lap board etc) but it just forces constant reminders/comparisons to CHM which this crew lose. If you don't think of this as TG it kinda works better. If the BBC took the same approach maybe it might work for them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually thinking about it more they could lose Evans, Sabine and Jordan and it'd be a far tighter show. Maybe Keep LeBlanc as the front-man with Harris and Reid as full and equal co-hosts.

As it is it's like:

Tonight on diversity... er I mean Top Gear:

A Ginger tool shouts a lot
    An American reads from the cue cards
    A German woman drives an Audi
    We sent the black guy to drive an electric car (but ignore that he's far better than the other 3!)
    And our resident Irish lad plays the spoons

Stay Tuned! :rolleyes:

Advertisement