Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

It’s not necessary to know for MCQ purposes. Once you pass the MCQ’s learn all you want about how it works and why the side effects occur

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

mar2313 wrote: »
    It’s not necessary to know for MCQ purposes. Once you pass the MCQ’s learn all you want about how it works and why the side effects occur

Studying to pass exams does not make a good paramedic. Good paramedics study to understand and I stand by my previous post. It’s ok to list of the indications, contraindications and side effects but if you’re asked why you won’t have an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

Was advised by a tutor that it’s not necessary to learn the pharmacological actions for the MCQ’s. Again, once you get passed the 12 weeks - feel free to delve into as much detail as you please. With the amount you need to learn in such a limited time frame it’s impossible to go into the detail required to be a ‘good paramedic’. Learning continues after the 12 weeks of theory. So I stand by what I’ve said and what I’ve been told by a tutor in the college!

mar2313 wrote: »
    Was advised by a tutor that it’s not necessary to learn the pharmacological actions for the MCQ’s. Again, once you get passed the 12 weeks - feel free to delve into as much detail as you please. With the amount you need to learn in such a limited time frame it’s impossible to go into the detail required to be a ‘good paramedic’. Learning continues after the 12 weeks of theory. So I stand by what I’ve said and what I’ve been told by a tutor in the college!

Well, if that’s what they’re teaching now so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

MN_Medic wrote: »
    Well, if that’s what they’re teaching now so be it!

I believe from current training, the amount you have to learn in such a short period of time you would have to concentrate on what will get u passed the initial intense theory 11/12 weeks. As Mar2313 says, learn what you want after the initial phase but if you dont concentrate on the study/theory side that gets u further there is no real point learning stuff that wont even come up in MCQs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Jen25

Hey guys where is everybody posting their certificates on Moodle. The only places I can see for posting documents is the licence and child first sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Yeah, you do that. You've also to register for Hseland and do some stuff there. The things you have to do is on one of the attachments.

Hey I've all that done I just need to attach the certificates to Moodle. I just don't see where we attach them. What section did you upload your certificates to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blackprawn

Jen25 wrote: »
    Hey I've all that done I just need to attach the certificates to Moodle. I just don't see where we attach them. What section did you upload your certificates to ?

Is this for people who have already begun the course? What certificates?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dubs17

I don’t think there is anywhere else to attach certs, I can only see the same as you

• Advertisement

blackprawn wrote: »
    Is this for people who have already begun the course? What certificates?

Its for people about to start tallagh... For people starting ballinalsoe it will all come couple weeks before their start

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ziballz87

Anyone know what the travel privileges form is about?

We’re you able to attached the certs to Moodle, it’s saying that the max size of file is 1mb but the certs save as 3mb so it wound accept them??

Dubs17 wrote: »
    We’re you able to attached the certs to Moodle, it’s saying that the max size of file is 1mb but the certs save as 3mb so it wound accept them??

Hey I read back over previous posts and people compressed the files to make them small enough to add. I'm going to try that and upload them all under the children's first section. I have email copies of all the certs so if they need them a different way I can email them across.

Hey I read back over previous posts and people compressed the files to make them small enough to add. I'm going to try that and upload them all under the children's first section. I have email copies of all the certs so if they need them a different way I can email them across.

Ah ok, there are options on moodle now to upload each of the certs

Dubs17 wrote: »
    Ah ok, there are options on moodle now to upload each of the certs

Can't seem to access the moodle site, did anyone else have difficulty?

Best of luck to all starting in Tallagh Monday. Yer last weekend to relax for a while!!!! Hope ye all do well

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blackprawn

So how soon before the start date did people eventually get their contracts? Also for anyone who has gone through the training, for my own curiosity, what techniques were you trained on, and what would an Irish paramedic not be trained and licensed to do that other countries might? Are ye taught cannulation, intra osseous, endotracheal intubation, or is that all Advanced Paramedic level training? I realise its an expansive question, I'm just curious. Many thanks in advance.

So how soon before the start date did people eventually get their contracts? Also for anyone who has gone through the training, for my own curiosity, what techniques were you trained on, and what would an Irish paramedic not be trained and licensed to do that other countries might? Are ye taught cannulation, intra osseous, endotracheal intubation, or is that all Advanced Paramedic level training? I realise its an expansive question, I'm just curious. Many thanks in advance.

Check the PHECC website and download the clinical practice guidelines. It has an index of skills etc. and at what level you need to be registered to be able to practice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

All the above you listed are AP skills. PM of you have any questions. I'm nearly finished my 2 years training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Musername10

Is anyone here still waiting to be called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Focus murray

Hey lads im hoping to start in Ballinasloe in January. A bit worried about the occupational health part.

They mentioned that your BMI must be under 30 and we have to do a step test. Do they actually focus on it much because i know mine is a good bit over 30.

Worried about being kicked to the kerb after waiting a year on the panel and getting through everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Hey lads im hoping to start in Ballinasloe in January. A bit worried about the occupational health part.

They mentioned that your BMI must be under 30 and we have to do a step test. Do they actually focus on it much because i know mine is a good bit over 30.

Worried about being kicked to the kerb after waiting a year on the panel and getting through everything else.

Hey, I'm qualified with a few months so I hope I can be of help. We all worry about the medical. A few people in my class had to appeal decisions (not BMI related) to get on the course. Some lads had to go to consultant ENT's or consultant ophthalmologists.

Your BMI will be assessed by the nurses. If the BMI is >30, you will have to do a step test. I didn't have to do it myself but it consists of a box on the floor that's about 1ft high. You step up and down on the box for circa 2 mins and your heart rate cannot go above a certain number and have to do about 4 rounds of this.

To calculate the max heart rate you can have after each round, subtract your age from 200 and then get 80% of that number.

YouTube the test and practice it at home. All the best:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Focus murray

Thanks a mill. Hopefully wont be the end of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 movers&shakers

I was looking at T&C’s of employment with the HSE NAS, & it states that they will place you near your place of residence “where possible” - being the term, but I’ve heard they actually place staff anywhere & everywhere nationally.

Is that actually the case ?

If so, how are you’se sourcing accommodation ? (AIR B&B and the like ?), and also is this expense covered or are youse funding this out of your own pockets.

I’m from & living in Dublin, & I’m due to start soon.
    I’m mid thirties, gang of kids & all that jazz, paramedic is something I want to do & it’s obviously going to be reasonably hard starting over, low wages etc etc. But I need to know is being moved about, Nationally, something that realistically I have to consider too, or will I most likely be in commute distance.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trotskyite1

I've heard of people being posted to the other end of the country and also in their own county so pot luck I guess. You get 235/week extra when out of college, tax free, to cover most of those expenses I'd say.

I was looking at T&C’s of employment with the HSE NAS, & it states that they will place you near your place of residence “where possible” - being the term, but I’ve heard they actually place staff anywhere & everywhere nationally.

If so, how are you’se sourcing accommodation ? (AIR B&B and the like ?), and also is this expense covered or are youse funding this out of your own pockets.

I’m mid thirties, gang of kids & all that jazz, paramedic is something I want to do & it’s obviously going to be reasonably hard starting over, low wages etc etc. But I need to know is being moved about, Nationally, something that realistically I have to consider too, or will I most likely be in commute distance.

Thanks guys.

Hey,

So for the first year you will have different block placements as 3rd person and these are usually close to your home. Everyone in our class was placed where they wanted to be.

However, for the second year (when you will be 2nd person) you are placed wherever the demand is in the country. The class ahead of us mostly got the areas they wanted but there were a few who randomly got places far from home. It's just pot luck.

The training allowance someone else was talking about is only for the placements throughout the first year, you do not get it for the second year. So all expenses are your own.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ziballz87 wrote: »

Thanks guys.

The training allowance someone else was talking about is only for the placements throughout the first year, you do not get it for the second year. So all expenses are your own.

Hope this helps!

How do shifts work in the second year, are they generally in blocks or do you get moved around the whole time to fill gaps? Is there any opportunity for overtime?

ectoraige wrote: »
    How do shifts work in the second year, are they generally in blocks or do you get moved around the whole time to fill gaps? Is there any opportunity for overtime?

You get allocated a hub, which for example could be loughlinstown, Arklow and wicklow. So you can be in any one of these stations, with your roster two weeks in advance. I have heard of people being rostered occasionally to other stations to fill a shift but I don't think this happens too often.

You can do overtime, but there's a system and as students we're bottom of the list! Depends where you are and how many people in your station are fighting for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 trotskyite1

Contract out today for 1apr start at tallaght.
    Anyone else here starting?
    Been told glashaus hotel or maldron to stay. Any other ideas?

Advertisement