Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 corkemt

Ziballz87 wrote: »
    Thanks for the that. Do we have to know everything in the boxes for each medication? If so I better get started now! 😅

Get a highlighter and know all the EMT and Paramedic dosages. Don’t need to learn the AP dosages. When your qualified in 2 years time you can review the AP dosages at that stage for medication assistance while working with AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ziballz87

corkemt wrote: »
    Get a highlighter and know all the EMT and Paramedic dosages. Don’t need to learn the AP dosages. When your qualified in 2 years time you can review the AP dosages at that stage for medication assistance while working with AP.

Okay, and what about the titles administration, indications, additional information etc. Do we need to know all of that?

Or is it literally the name of medication and usual dosages?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I'm learning the right stuff!

Okay, and what about the titles administration, indications, additional information etc. Do we need to know all of that?

Or is it literally the name of medication and usual dosages?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I'm learning the right stuff!

To be honest your better off trying to learn all of it. If you want to skip a section, skip the pharmacological action which is how the drug works in the body to achieve the desired response.

You without question need to know

Class
    Description
    Presentation
    Administration
    Contraindication (when you do not give the drug)
    Dosage
    Side effects
    Additional information

The use of a highlighter really reduced the information required to learn by excluding the AP information

To be honest your better off trying to learn all of it. If you want to skip a section, skip the pharmacological action which is how the drug works in the body to achieve the desired response.

You without question need to know

Class
    Description
    Presentation
    Administration
    Contraindication (when you do not give the drug)
    Dosage
    Side effects
    Additional information

The use of a highlighter really reduced the information required to learn by excluding the AP information

That's really helpful, thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

Start off with the adult doses only. You can focus on the paeds when you get to module 3

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dmc36

Is there any allowance's for training!

Id love to be a Paramedic but the 10k+ drop would be painful :(

Theres a 240 extra fortnightly for ur 12 week ambo placment on top of your basic. During ur internship year u get

180 fortnughtly for shift allwoance
    Saturday and sunday allowance
    5hr and 10hr subs (time out of base)
    Overtime (time+a half)
    Bank holidays (double time)

I found the college and college exam weeks hard pay wise but after that it wasnt as bad as i thought

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Anyone know exactly what paperwork recruit screening will be looking for once a person accepts a training place? I havent lived/ worked abroad so that bit is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Newmed

Anyone know what hotels in Tallaght student paramedics and emergency call takers stay in and what the cost per night is and what's included in price. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Newmed wrote: »
    Anyone know what hotels in Tallaght student paramedics and emergency call takers stay in and what the cost per night is and what's included in price. Thanks.

The maldron hotel in Tallaght which is a 5 minute walk from rivers building and has free parking for residents. They do a corporate rate for Ambulance Service. Give them a ring for information.

• Advertisement

Anyone know exactly what paperwork recruit screening will be looking for once a person accepts a training place? I havent lived/ worked abroad so that bit is fine

Hey see attached for what we've had to send in. Couldn't send it to you in a PM for some reason. Hope it's okay to post here. Also a questionnaire and References. I think that was pretty much it.

Skarey wrote: »
    You’ll get paid fortnightly. The placement sub is only paid during your placement weeks, so when you are away from the College.

Is the €235 per week or two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Is the €235 per week or two weeks?

Per week on placements only not in NASC

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dwhite1801

Hey anyone heard anything back from recruitment yet?

Dwhite1801 wrote: »
    Hey anyone heard anything back from recruitment yet?

Not a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Wanderlust91

Hey guys, from someone going through the University Paramedic programme in the UK, best of luck with interviews and results. Hard work, demanding and tiring. Most of all, worth it, a career like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jen25

Hey anyone starting May 28th heard anything about contracts ?

Jen25 wrote: »

Hey, hey no havnt heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dubs17

Nope nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Haven't heard anything either. It's been a while.

• Advertisement

Did others get an email today?

Hana98 wrote: »
    Did others get an email today?

Yes about them not having received any occupational health clearance yet etc.

It was an odd email. I guess they're just letting us know where they're at. I'm glad at least we seem good enough to go! Getting closer and closer!

Hana98 wrote: »
    It was an odd email. I guess they're just letting us know where they're at. I'm glad at least we seem good enough to go! Getting closer and closer!

Yeah I thought so too! Hopefully the OHD get their asses in gear pronto!

Anyone hear anything from recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jen25

Got a text today that my contract is in the post and i should receive it tomorrow.

Got a text today that my contract is in the post and i should receive it tomorrow.

Same, happy days!

Same, happy days!

Finger crossed I hear something tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dwhite1801

Hey, are we meant to just sign the travel privilege form or fill it out and sign it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

I wouldn’t recommend skipping this section at all. In fact knowing that section in detail gives an understanding of why a medication is indicated, contraindicated and why the side effects occur.
    Go to the HPRA website and download the SPC for each medication. This will give better understanding of the medications.

Advertisement