Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Best of luck to ye all going to tallagh

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ziballz87

Best of luck to ye all going to tallagh

Any word on Ballinasloe yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Ziballz87 wrote: »
    Any word on Ballinasloe yet?

Waiting and hoping!!

Waiting and hoping!!

Everything crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dwhite1801

Hey anyone tracked their the garda vetting yet, mine is so slow said it was sent back to the National vetting Bearau on 12th

• Advertisement

Dwhite1801 wrote: »
    Hey anyone tracked their the garda vetting yet, mine is so slow said it was sent back to the National vetting Bearau on 12th

Mine says 'Application awaiting review by registered organisation' and that was on the 14th. Hasn't changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Mine says 'Application awaiting review by registered organisation' and that was on the 14th. Hasn't changed since

Mine is the same for the 11th though.

Got sent out my reference forms that I had to email on to my managers yesterday, hopefully they won't take to long emailing them back.

Hopefully, I'll get mine soon :)

Hey, Was checking the form we had to send to Occ health and mine says Recruitment area Midlands. Just wondering was anyone else the same. I was hoping be bit closer to southeast for my placement areas.

• Advertisement

Yeah, mine says the same. I sort of presumed it was where Occupational Health. I don't know. I thought they didn't place us anywhere until later anyway.
    I keep getting emails about vetting saying to complete vetting but to ignore if already completed. I wouldn't mind but it's more than one.

Hana98 wrote: »
    Yeah, mine says the same. I sort of presumed it was where Occupational Health. I don't know. I thought they didn't place us anywhere until later anyway.
    I keep getting emails about vetting saying to complete vetting but to ignore if already completed. I wouldn't mind but it's more than one.

I was thinking the same, I got same email about my evetting as well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just thought I'd let people know my application was submitted to National Vetting Bureau today :)

Just thought I'd let people know my application was submitted to National Vetting Bureau today :)

Checked mine there now, says scheduled for completion :D

Getting somewhere here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Hi Folks

The pre employment stuff seems to be moving a bit quicker than the last time, but don’t panic if it all goes quiet and you hear nothing for a bit. It was the week before my start date before I got a contract. It’ll all get done on time.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Also if anyone is looking for accommodation within walking distance to the College, with parking, drop me a DM for further info.

P.S. The good news is the starting salary is slightly higher than they say, €26,969 and the placement sub is about €235 which is tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

Skarey wrote: »
    Hi Folks

The pre employment stuff seems to be moving a bit quicker than the last time, but don’t panic if it all goes quiet and you hear nothing for a bit. It was the week before my start date before I got a contract. It’ll all get done on time.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Also if anyone is looking for accommodation within walking distance to the College, with parking, drop me a DM for further info.

P.S. The good news is the starting salary is slightly higher than they say, €26,969 and the placement sub is about €235  which is tax free.
    Is the placement sub paid monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

palmtrees wrote: »
    Is the placement sub paid monthly?

You’ll get paid fortnightly. The placement sub is only paid during your placement weeks, so when you are away from the College.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Dwhite1801 wrote: »
    Hey, Was checking the form we had to send to Occ health and mine says Recruitment area Midlands. Just wondering was anyone else the same. I was hoping be bit closer to southeast for my placement areas.

All new entrants from 2011 onwards are paid through Tullamore. This is where Occ Health is situated also, therefore, the midlands. Where you get stationed could be totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martindjune

Question for those that have been through the student paramedic course/ training etc...
    Your thoughts please on is this course "doable" for a person that would never have been academically great at school? Also has anyone gone through it that had a young family and how did ye find that bit? ( being away for so many weeks etc) Thanks for your thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 corkemt

Question for those that have been through the student paramedic course/ training etc...
    Your thoughts please on is this course "doable" for a person that would never have been academically great at school? Also has anyone gone through it that had a young family and how did ye find that bit? ( being away for so many weeks etc) Thanks for your thoughts

I have been through this course in very recent times as a single parent. The course is extremely intense. There is a high workload to complete in what feels like a short time frame. Having no prior academic third level degree which includes a lack of experience in referencing, writing, exams, etc did not feel to me that it had any great impact on my progression in the course apart from maybe a lower grade. However dedication is a must!! That means about 4 hours study in the evening after college everyday. It is a course that requires your full attention so if you have a young family, you will definately need more support than just a babysitter while you are in college. People think when they finish the 12 weeks in college, they have more freedom but that is not the case! From that point forward it is right to say you are mostly left to your own devices with supportive guidance if required but you are also left to set your own agenda. You can do as little as you like or as much as you like as there will be no real effect until you have to present all your paperwork for interview.

During your internship you are expected to work in a location of the NAS choice and no yours! In order to succeed, you must attend work at 156 hours per month, complete call logs, follow up on patients, complete research, reflective practice, case studies and on the road practical exams.

All of this really does take up your life from the entire two years.

Sorry to make it sound so drole. I must say however I love my job. There is a lot of politics in it but if this is the job you really want, just ignore the politics and complete the course. The world is your oyster!

Does anyone know if their reference was called yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jen25

Does anyone know if their reference was called yet?

Mine was contacted last Wednesday

Jen25 wrote: »
    Mine was contacted last Wednesday

For those starting the course soon, the best advise I can tell you is to get the Paramedic cpgs and learn the drugs prior to commencing, it makes the first few weeks so much easier. You may not understand all the information but give it your beat shot!

corkemt wrote: »
    For those starting the course soon, the best advise I can tell you is to get the Paramedic cpgs and learn the drugs prior to commencing, it makes the first few weeks so much easier. You may not understand all the information but give it your beat shot!

Thanks for that. Would definitely like to do what I can now. Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks for that. Would definitely like to do what I can now. Do you recommend anything else?

No not really. If you can pin the drugs prior to commencing the course, it is honestly a major assistance!

Are any of the attached here what you mean when talking about learning the medication?

No not really. If you can pin the drugs prior to commencing the course, it is honestly a major assistance!

Cool thanks! I wrote another message there to you but didn't know how to tag you! It's got three attachments...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the that. Do we have to know everything in the boxes for each medication? If so I better get started now! 😅

Advertisement