Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on my work plan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

For many reasons. One, the shame of being fired, two, this job pays well and there's no guarantee I'll find something if I go, three having to explain why I left the job.

No I think I'll stay where I am. I plan to stick it out for another 3 years or so, hopefully by then I'll have a nice little bit saved up. Will have more options then.

Do you go on the sauce after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fred Talbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I love that sugar is a concern over the daily intake of alcohol :)
    Switch to chasing the dragon, it's sugar free and you get to go on 'smoke breaks'.

I don't want to get fat or diabetic. Actually I recall getting terrible chest pain in my younger days when I drank Jack Daniels and coke (so cool lol) so sugary drinks are probably out.

I'll do some research on mixers for vodka tonight.

Do you go on the sauce after work?

I normally drink almost every night. I intend not to drink after work from now on, although I said that last week and got drunk every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Vodka and ice, vodka and lime, vodka diet 7up, vodka and west coast cooler, two parts vodka one part Bacardi and a Diet Coke, vodka and orange juice. Vodka jelly babies. Skittle vodka.

Basically, vodka tastes good with everything.
    Save me a seat at AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

For many reasons. One, the shame of being fired, two, this job pays well and there's no guarantee I'll find something if I go, three having to explain why I left the job.

No I think I'll stay where I am. I plan to stick it out for another 3 years or so, hopefully by then I'll have a nice little bit saved up. Will have more options then.

In three years time with greater and greater amounts of alcohol needed to get the same buzz every day I'm afraid your savings won't be much use to you when your health is ruined and you have a chronic disease like cirrhosis of the liver, cardiomyopathy, memory loss from shrinkage of your brain, depression, or one of a whole range of other severe health problems that will shorten your life span at worst, or at the very least harm your long term health. What will your options be then? that's if you're not found out and fired before that.

I really hope it doesn't end up like that, you seem like a smart guy, but what you're doing seriously isn't worth it.

Thinking you can drink like that for three years and have no severe consequences to your health as a result is delusional. Unless you're just on the wind up here of course.

If you're actually serious:
    I'm an introvert too and having to make small talk to co-workers at breaks is something I loathe too so I've chosen work whenever possible where I can be self-employed working mostly alone which suits me much better.

I'm a mature student of horticulture and permaculture now so plants will mainly be my only company in the future and it's fantastic. :)
    I highly recommend a change of job or career now and go for something you will get job satisfaction and enjoyment from instead of hating your working environment so much you have to resort to numbing yourself with alcohol just to get through it.

Maybe take a year off and travel if you have any savings already and use the time to really think about what you want from life (you could even work while you travel being a digital nomad for example), or if there is something you've always wanted to do then make a plan for how to achieve it. Go back to college? start up your own business? you do have options, but drinking yourself into an early grave is not one a young guy (I'm guessing) like yourself should be pursuing.
    It seems to be terribly sad and a waste of potential. If you're serious that is...

That's the advice of a forty cough something year old who's worked most of my life in different jobs and careers, take it or leave it as you wish, but I do genuinely wish the best for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

fred can you not change your job to being a rocknroll star and livin the dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Savage OP. I feel like this going into work most days. Like a child on a merry-go-round that they cannot get off.

The mere fact that you have this thread and the fact that people are engaging with you on it is probably enough to get you through your day. Keep it going if it helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I still don't undertsand how the OP thinks he can dodge the body's 'Law of Diminishing Returns' regarding alcohol/drugs. Can't be done.

TLDR: You'll start needing more booze to get the same buzz. Eventually you'll be downing a bottle of whiskey every morning to get that warm glow.

The interesting thing is that the body's tolerance for alcohol/codeine/whatever takes years to reset once you stop. Decades, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I went dry today, couldn't face vodka again in the morning. I think the cranberry juice is giving me bad heartburn so I may need to find a something softer to use as a mixer. Maybe milk? Although that might not go well together and I might look strange drinking milk in the office. Another option would to just water it down, no one would be any the wiser.

The chat with the boss was fine, he wants me to attend a conference next month, so that's a big piss up to look forward too. Nearly died with anxiety thinking that someone had reported me for drinking on the job, some of the ****s here would do that.

Fred, have you noticed whether anyone else is drinking on the job? There is sure to be other like minded folk around you. You should reach out to one of these people. A problem shared is a problem halved. Who knows what might happen - an intimate relationship at work with a fellow boozer could be exciting and might even reduce your dependency on alcohol to pass the time. Are there rooms in your office that are rarely visited - do some investigation and let your imagination do the rest ;).

I really admire you OP. We need to treasure people like you.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Well Fred, how did the boozing go today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

People do realise that the OP is bull****ting right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

mada82 wrote: »
    People do realise that the OP is bull****ting right?

Yes. They are all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

keith16 wrote: »
    Yes. They are all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth?

Are they all lies, just asking because I think some of us know people who do this for real and it very seldom ends well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Out of interest, out of say 100 people, how many hate their job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

That's not a bad idea, 7up or some other flat drink, thanks. I'd be concerned about the all the sugar though.

What about those isotonic sports drinks? They're full of electrolytes or anti-oxidants or some crap and are also supposed to be good rehydraters. Also they're not too sweet and they're not fizzy or acidic. Just the ticket. You mix the vodka but the mixer is also helping to rehydrate you so the hangover won't be as bad. Aquarius springs to mind. Coconut water is another suggestion. So good for you and ideal for your purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Coconut water - for the health conscious alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Are they all lies, just asking because I think some of us know people who do this for real and it very seldom ends well :confused:

exactly, I had a teacher in secondary school, an alcoholic who drank in front of us, fanta bottle with an added extra, god she loved polo mints.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Knockmealdown Shepherd

I still don't undertsand how the OP thinks he can dodge the body's 'Law of Diminishing Returns' regarding alcohol/drugs. Can't be done.

TLDR: You'll start needing more booze to get the same buzz. Eventually you'll be downing a bottle of whiskey every morning to get that warm glow.

The interesting thing is that the body's tolerance for alcohol/codeine/whatever takes years to reset once you stop. Decades, actually.

I love the way the TLDR version is longer than the original

This morning I went for the vodka, chugged a bit and realised this not for me. So I called in sick and went back to bed. Tomorrow I'm handing in my notice. I'll probably drink for the remaining time I have (have to give a presentation during the meeting so will definitely have a shot for courage, have done that before) after that I plan to head off to Portugal or Spain and just sit around and drink cheap wine for awhile.

For those suggesting I may become an alcoholic, your concern is noted but honestly there's no need for worry. If the drinking ever becomes too much I'll stop, no doubt about that. Having said that I've just ordered another pint in this lovely little pub and I've no intention of going home anytime soon. Don't think I'll miss the daily vodka ration though, will be a while before I can stomach anymore cranberry juice.

I glad people have enjoyed this thread. This will probably be my last post here. For anyone struggling through work today, this one is for you.

Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

This morning I went for the vodka, chugged a bit and realised this not for me. So I called in sick and went back to bed. Tomorrow I'm handing in my notice. I'll probably drink for the remaining time I have (have to give a presentation during the meeting so will definitely have a shot for courage, have done that before) after that I plan to head off to Portugal or Spain and just sit around and drink cheap wine for awhile.

For those suggesting I may become an alcoholic, your concern is noted but honestly there's no need for worry. If the drinking ever becomes too much I'll stop, no doubt about that. Having said that I've just ordered another pint in this lovely little pub and I've no intention of going home anytime soon. Don't think I'll miss the daily vodka ration though, will be a while before I can stomach anymore cranberry juice.

I glad people have enjoyed this thread. This will probably be my last post here. For anyone struggling through work today, this one is for you.

Fred.

Fair dues to you for getting to the root of the problem - and enjoy your time out

And thanks for the laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Legend.

One more though. I think plan is viable but you really have to stay off the drink when you get home, my life is so boring right now that that simply wasn't an option.

I have been constantly drunk for nearly two weeks now and don't regret a thing.

One more thought. I think my plan is viable but you really have to stay off the drink when you get home, my life is so boring right now that that simply wasn't an option.

I have been constantly drunk for nearly two weeks now and don't regret a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Glad to hear you are quitting.

A quote that springs to mind when I hear myself or other say I am bored etc... "Only the boring are ever bored". And as you are off to Spain or Portugal sounds like you have that sorted.

I would be convinced that this is a p*ss take had I not employed a similar strategy in my early twenties for a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

of course its a piss take

Im quitting my job is actually Im quitting posting this thread because it too much effort to keep the lie going

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Ah....what a shame. This got me through my darkest hours at work for the past week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

when I read your last post this I was listening to this and now cant get it out of my head, Farewell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Cool story bro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

What about a mini update Fred ?

did you give your notice ?

Are you still working ?

on the sauce ? - plenty of time to think of some new colourful fiction ;)

Advertisement