Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on my work plan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone else think the OP might have called in sick today? wasn't he still drinking after work as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I can't help but think OP thinks he's doing a great job of covering up he's drunk, when in reality he's making sh!t jokes and coming onto anyone who'll talk to him. Reminds me of that scene in the wolf of wall street - 1:40 onward!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

This thread is quickly turning into my guilty pleasure....

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fred Talbot

Another day at the rat race done. Very nearly called in a sick today, spent the night drinking the remaining beer I had in the house, that's all gone now. From now on the only alcohol I'll have in the house will be the daily vodka ration.

Anyway went in and felt fairly rotten. The vodka/cranberry mix soon took off the edge and after awhile I was in flying form. I had even had a bit of craic with some of the lads in the office which rarely happens. Unfortunately I went through the vodka a bit too quick and found the afternoon fairly unpleasant as the hangover started to kick in again. Thought about buying another naggin at lunch time but decided against it. Would feel a bit be weird to be honest.

Made a fairly glaring typo in a report I was finishing so I'll have to watch that. I'm fairly diligent with my work but will double check everything from now on.

Very much enjoying this feeling of being completely out of sync with normal people. I feel like a very boring version of Charles Bukowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Anyway went in and felt fairly rotten. The vodka/cranberry mix soon took off the edge and after awhile I was in flying form. I had even had a bit of craic with some of the lads in the office which rarely happens. Unfortunately I went through the vodka a bit too quick and found the afternoon fairly unpleasant as the hangover started to kick in again. Thought about buying another naggin at lunch time but decided against it. Would feel a bit be weird to be honest.

It would be weird drinking two naggins a day alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Who worries about typos nowadays anyway ?
    Spell checker will grab it - have another drink on me - loving this thread

Who worries about typos nowadays anyway ?
    Spell checker will grab it - have another drink on me - loving this thread

Actually it was more that I got some figures mixed up. Boss was a little surprised as I'm normally good with these things but I explained I haven't been sleeping well and he bought it.

Glad you're enjoying it although I just started it for advice. I know some people are expecting a slow descent into alcoholism and madness but I intend to keep it together. I was thinking if I can keep this up for a couple of years I'll have enough saved to quit and head off to another country.

The main concern right now is the weekends. I've promised myself I won't drink but I'll have to find something to do. Maybe sit around and drink tea all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I knew colleagues in London who drank 2-3 pints at lunchtime. I couldn't warm to it but OP would be at home there. Some offices had pubs on premises, beside canteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Actually it was more that I got some figures mixed up. Boss was a little surprised as I'm normally good with these things but I explained I haven't been sleeping well and he bought it.

Glad you're enjoying it although I just started it for advice. I know some people are expecting a slow descent into alcoholism and madness but I intend to keep it together. I was thinking if I can keep this up for a couple of years I'll have enough saved to quit and head off to another country.

The main concern right now is the weekends. I've promised myself I won't drink but I'll have to find something to do. Maybe sit around and drink tea all day?

Let's hope your liver keeps it together too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Are you a Functional Alcoholic Fred?

• Advertisement

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Are you a Functional Alcoholic Fred?

I would not consider myself an alcoholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Another day at the rat race done. Very nearly called in a sick today, spent the night drinking the remaining beer I had in the house, that's all gone now. From now on the only alcohol I'll have in the house will be the daily vodka ration.

Made a fairly glaring typo in a report I was finishing so I'll have to watch that. I'm fairly diligent with my work but will double check everything from now on.

Very much enjoying this feeling of being completely out of sync with normal people. I feel like a very boring version of Charles Bukowski.

you should mix it up, hit the local boozer for lunch now and again. Breaks up the monotony and and you will meet some new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Are you going to hit the sauce in work tomorrow Fred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

This is gold. Switch from naggin to shoulder. No need to feel weird as it's still just one bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

So, like many of you I hate my job. The work is tedious, my co-workers make the same inane conversation day in day out, and frankly I'm sick of it. Unfortunately quiting is just not an option right now.

Recently however, I've come into work still drunk from the night before and found those couple of hours before I sobered up to fly by. I'm now thinking of discreetly drinking throughout the day, just enough to get nicely buzzed, to make the day go quicker, and ultimately to make work bearable. Since I already drink most nights it's not as if I can't afford it. Also, to maintain health I'll no longer drink on the weekend.

My plan is to mix vodka (doesn't smell) with a bottle of fruit juice and just sip on it all day. I'm thinking a naggin a day but I'll probably have the spend the first week or two adjusting the dose. I don't have to drive or use machinery by the way.

Anyway doing/did this? And what are the possible pros and cons of this plan?

Thanks in advance.

Try the opposite plan - don't drink during the week, and I bet you won't find work so head-melting. Alcohol is a depressant, especially the day after a night out. Years ago I gave up drinking on weeknights because I'd feel like standing up the next day and walking out with hands raised high and middle fingers extended to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I would not consider myself an alcoholic.

You'll be the last one to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I'm intrigued by OP's experiment. Years ago when I worked in retail, my friends and I would start pre-drinking before we left work on a Thursday or Friday evening so we could head out straight afterwards. All was well until a naggin was found behind the tills one morning... ah, good times!

The odd time I end up going out on a weeknight these days, I always find that the hangover the next day makes the day fly by.

However, OP's choice of drink is not making the idea very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭badabing106

Has anybody ever tried this before going to a funeral or a christening or wedding? Just To take the edge off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't think I've ever been at the church part of a wedding sober

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

OK if you want serious advice, stop now ...

It will only get worse - maybe slowly and you could hold it together for long, but eventually it will end badly.

Apart from drinking at work, you mentioned you get drunk most nights - I don't wanna judge but this doesn't sound like its the best for your health either.

How old are you ?

OK back to AH mode, maybe a few others could join in having a couple drinks in work ? and post your stories - tomorrow in my place we have beers in the afternoon -- I might have a few more then my usual one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

OK if you want serious advice, stop now ...

It will only get worse - maybe slowly and you could hold it together for long, but eventually it will end badly.

Apart from drinking at work, you mentioned you get drunk most nights - I don't wanna judge but this doesn't sound like its the best for your health either.

How old are you ?

OK back to AH mode, maybe a few others could join in having a couple drinks in work ? and post your stories - tomorrow in my place we have beers in the afternoon -- I might have a few more then my usual one :D

have a few beers and then buy a round of sambucas for everyone, make them all get a round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

I don't think I've ever been at the church part of a wedding sober

You must have been dying for a wee by the end???
    Even worse when the bride and groom are at the exist hugging everyone and you are dying to go. Longest queue ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

Take up poker and gaming at the weekends. Open a Paddy Power account also. Bet you'll get the cash quicker to head off to the new country. And you would be able to check bets during work if you got board. Also the vodka might give you the courage to place bets you wouldnt have otherwise. It could be very lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

what do you take us for - a bunch of borderline alcoholics? I'll stick to watching this from a distance. If it's true it will end badly for the op and hopefully very entertaining for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

OP, I think we all know you need support and this isn't sustainable. Vodka is pretty boring tbh. I know you want to calibrate levels, and I get the cranberry morning wake up, but I think a mid morning Cointreau & freshly squeezed orange juice or a dash of baileys in your coffee will keep the levels up and introduce some variety to keep it fresh for you. Might tie in nicely with your Pilates story and we all know the value of a balanced diet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Been to work after 4 pints a few times last week.

Had visitors over and daytime drinking just kept kinda happening and I didn't start work til 4 or 5pm

It was grand. The smell was the main problem. So avoid that and you're laughing. Everyone thinks you're in flying form

I was fairly paranoid at fiest but it's the finest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Been to work after 4 pints a few times last week.

Had visitors over and daytime drinking just kept kinda happening and I didn't start work til 4 or 5pm

It was grand. The smell was the main problem. So avoid that and you're laughing. Everyone thinks you're in flying form

I was fairly paranoid at fiest but it's the finest

Well as long as the co-pilot was sober you'd be OK. Those planes practically land themselves nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

enzo roco wrote: »
    You must have been dying for a wee by the end???
    Even worse when the bride and groom are at the exist hugging everyone and you are dying to go. Longest queue ever!

If you're smart, you nip out to the pub for a pint while the wedding ceremony is taking place!
    They wont remember and you wont miss a thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

You could try t3 fat burners. I tried them one morning before the gym and I was in top form all morning in work. Maybe if you took a few of them a day instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Did something similar in a job years ago - we called it 'pint club', plan on a Friday was to hit the local pub, have a nice pub lunch and a few ales (this was in London), and come back to the office with sauce on board. The name of the game was to see how many pints you could get on board without being rumbled. I managed maybe 5 pints one lunch time. Made the afternoon fly by.

Advertisement