Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or when Elon has had a schhhmmmmoookke :p

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

And to keep it on topic, as we we're leaving Kennedy Space center yesterday a very nice red Model 3 with the custom licence place "N4S4" overtook me. Was very nice!

In case anyone is trying for a 'vanity' plate here - Revenue will charge you €1000 for the privilege of picking your nice round number

unkel wrote: »
    Damn! I noticed something funny about the dates alright, ...

Got me too, the recording still has 'Live' printed on the thumbnail.
    Sabre Man wrote: »
    Starting today Model 3 will be on display at Tesla Dublin Sandyford.
    Join us to be among the first in Ireland to sit inside Model 3
    <snip>
    Please note that test drives with Model 3 will not be available.

I got to sit in one in europe all to myself already, glad to not be rubbing sweaty shoulders with you thirsty lot down in Sandyford.

Test drive: I gotta get one of these before spending 50k on a car. Does anyone know how the models S and 3 compare in relation to this novel EV way of doing things? The one pedal accelerate/regen brake takes some getting used to I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

The Brother in law is a day 1 reservation holder and ordered his car today. Very jealous!!

He's expecting delivery in June. He lives up north so may be one of the first Model 3s in Ireland!

I'll be visiting a lot in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Trying to find a few days off myself so I can go over and drive my mate's Model 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The usual litany of errors

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

ted1 wrote: »

This is just a tax dodge. The rules are that if one model in the range is below $45k Canadian there is some tax break or incentive for every car in it, even the more expensive ones.

So Tesla made a compliance car to get in under $45k CAD but, like the $35k model in the US, will do everything they can to avoid actually selling it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

josip wrote: »
    Does this mean that they're producing more units than they can sell at a higher price?
    It sounds to me like supply has outstripped demand.

No, this is something to with price bands/tax incentives in Canada (according to EV News Daily). It's actually software limited to 93 miles range, which is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Looking at the "full self driving" option

A) It's not full self driving at all

B) 90% of it can't be used in the UK anyway, literally only auto parking is enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

kuro68k wrote: »

B) 90% of it can't be used in the UK anyway, literally only auto parking is enabled

No full self driving YET

But all the cars have the hardware for it and software updates for alleged completely autonomous driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You get nothing for FSD at the moment (in Ireland). I believe Navigate on Autopilot is available in the USA, Norway and Germany. Not in the UK as far as I know and not in Ireland.

I don't think auto parking requires FSD. I've had it for a long time in my Model S with Autopilot only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This is just a tax dodge. The rules are that if one model in the range is below $45k Canadian there is some tax break or incentive for every car in it, even the more expensive ones.

So Tesla made a compliance car to get in under $45k CAD but, like the $35k model in the US, will do everything they can to avoid actually selling it to you.

No denying it. But it’s still possible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not a tax dodge, pure legitimate financial planning, exact same as Toyota's RAV4 EV in the US that they hid as best they could, basically a Tesla with a Toyota badge

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rotary939

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You get nothing for FSD at the moment (in Ireland). I believe Navigate on Autopilot is available in the USA, Norway and Germany. Not in the UK as far as I know and not in Ireland.

I don't think auto parking requires FSD. I've had it for a long time in my Model S with Autopilot only.

Tesla made changes to the feature set of FSD a few months back. The following features, which were previously part of the Auto Pilot suite are now only available with the FSD suite:

- Auto Lane Change
    - Auto Park
    - Summon
    - Navigate on Autopilot

The 'basic' Autopilot which is now standard in all but the 'off-menu' Model-3-SR car now basically consists of the following:
    - Auto steering
    - Traffic aware cruise control

You'll still have Autopark on your model-S since you originally paid for it as part of your Autopilot but new buyers won't.

As said previously, really the only usable feature for FSD in Ireland is the AutoPark. Is it worth it? For that alone, no but some might consider the future value of FSD to be worth it especially as the price is due to increase considerably in the coming weeks. I personally won't be buying it as I don't believe we'll benefit here from it in the same way as US buyers will during my ownership of the car, due to regulations and red tape.

I've driven the Model-S (here) and the Model-3-Performance (in California) and thought the drive was very similar between them, if anything the 3 was more nimble. Still like nothing else on the road in terms of the driving experience. Really liked the clean interior, much improved forward visibility without the driver binnacle and quickly adapted to the onscreen controls and instruments. I didn't notice any issues with build quality or materials other than maybe a little more wind noise but that could be down to the lack of engine noise, regardless didn't bother me. It won't be for every one but I honestly do believe that this is the car that will turn the mainstream to EVs in a way that none of the other manufacturers will be able to for next 2-3 years, maybe longer. It really is a game changer.

It's competition is NOT other EVs, it's premium ICE vehicles in the same price range, class and spec. I'm a self confessed petrol head but I can't ever see myself buying another ICE vehicle again. I'm not buying it because it's an EV but because I believe it's going to be the best in class vehicle (drive, cost & ownership experience) available today. I will also keep my rotary for the sensory experience that EVs still and always will lack - sound and smell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I'm conflicted......

On the one hand - if the 49 k is correct - I can't think of anything else available brand new for under 50 k I'd rather have.

If I had 50 k to spend - then to me personally I think it's still worth the money even in SR+.

Id probably sulk for a bit at *only* 100 kw* charging. I'd also prefer the full whack range.

But I'm not sure those are worth 10 k extra on their own. Id rather own a 100 kw charging and lower range SR+ sooner rather than wait longer to afford the extra 9 to 10 k.

On the other hand - if Tesla wants to broaden the reach of EVs with Model 3 and Y - then I'm afraid it's not there yet.

Online - I see talk of people cancelling reservations as the proposition Tesla are offering in the UK is looking expensive.

*I undertood that SR+ is restricted to 100 kw charging. I could be wrong though

Some caveats to the last post.....

1) were i buying I'd want to see what the ride comfort is like especially on rural type roads......

2) I'd like to see what SR+ range is like in Irish winter conditions before going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Old diesel wrote: »

1) were i buying I'd want to see what the ride comfort is like especially on rural type roads......

2) I'd like to see what SR+ range is like in Irish winter conditions before going for it.

They do offer a no fuss return policy tbf. I think you can keep it for 10 days and return it no questions asked. That's a lot better than a test drive.

My major gripe is 49k has us as the 3rd/4th most expensive country in Europe, despite a grant of 5k. The car will cost us nearly 15k more than the exact same car in the U.S. That and the fact that 49k euro isn't an affordable car. They shouldn't be billing it as such in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kev22185 wrote: »
    They do offer a no fuss return policy tbf. I think you can keep it for 10 days and return it no questions asked. That's a lot better than a test drive.

Having to shell out €49k* for that though** is a bitter pill to swallow whereas a test drive is free. Whilst it's good return policy; it's exactly that, a return policy.

* speculated price
    ** I know the vast majority aren't paying in cash, but to get a 10 day test-drive you still need to go through the rigmarole of getting finance in place.

Having to shell out €49k* for that though** is a bitter pill to swallow whereas a test drive is free. Whilst it's good return policy; it's exactly that, a return policy.

* speculated price
    ** I know the vast majority aren't paying in cash, but to get a 10 day test-drive you still need to go through the rigmarole of getting finance in place.

fair points

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My major gripe is 49k has us as the 3rd/4th most expensive country in Europe, despite a grant of 5k. The car will cost us nearly 15k more than the exact same car in the U.S. That and the fact that 49k euro isn't an affordable car. They shouldn't be billing it as such in Europe.

What’s the cost of ownership over 5 years say ( 100,000 km) v an ICE equivalent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tesla probably think, and not unreasonably, that there would be a lot of time wasters with no intention/ability to purchase wanting test drives.
    I would expect that in 12 months time test drives will be normal.

Old diesel wrote: »

Its looking more expensive then it should be for sure.

My point is that overpriced as it is - I can't think of a more desirable car for 50 k if the 49 k* model suits your needs.

Should be cheaper if Tesla wants more people in EVa but still

*speculated

ted1 wrote: »
    What’s the cost of ownership over 5 years say ( 100,000 km) v an ICE equivalent

These types of calculations are available through their configuration tool. The savings redeemed through cost of ownership don't make the car more "affordable" to purchase. A 49k euro car still requires 49k to purchase it and that isn't what I'd consider affordable.

I have a reservation...I'll probably still buy one but I was expecting a 40-45k euro car and I'm still not entirely sure how it can be 49k (if their staff are to be believed) given the price in countries with similar tax rates and incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I wish people would stop with the €49k number, and go with Cros's €44k number.

I'd be extremely surprised if he was wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Soarer wrote: »

We all know how Ireland always gets shafted with goods/services from American companies I’d be extremely surprised if he’s right.

Everyone who’s saying the €49k number isn’t hoping for it to be true. I’d love to be proven wrong on believing the €49k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Soarer wrote: »

That would be a great price tbh for SR+

I'll buy at that price

Its worth 5k more than a Kona or eNiro for sure

Nearly 300bhp/300km motorway/100kW charging ( software locked for the moment, imagine it will get up to 150kW after data is collected ), autopilot tech

Its unmatched at the moment

49k felt like we were being ripped off, but 44k is fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9 USSCork

Hi All,
    I'm a Model 3 reservation holder since July 2017 and I haven't received anything from Tesla yet about finally ordering my car. It's a little frustrating seeing that it's now available in the UK, but not yet in Ireland!! (I was hoping they'd consider us together, rather than consider Ireland as a separate market. In the grand scheme, the Irish market is almost not worth talking about!)

Anyway, I thought I'd post with my understanding of the pricing...

The entry level Model 3 with no extras is $39,500 in the US. This price is WITHOUT Tax (VAT etc), Destination and Documentation fees. The US prices typically don't include Tax, because the American system operates a different system over there.

By today's exchange rate, $39,500 == €35,328
    Then we add...
    Shipping @ about €1,000, brings price to €36,328
    EU Tarrif on US Imports @ 10% of €36,328 = €3,633, bringing the price to €39,961
    Then add Irish VRT @ 14% of €39,961 = €5,595, bringing the price to €45,556
    Then add Irish VAT @ 23% of €45,556 = €10,478, bringing the total to €56,034 for the Entry level Model 3 in Ireland!

Now, minus from the above the SEAI grant @ €5,000 and the VRT rebate @ €5,000 and that brings the cost to €46,034.

Still a lot of money for the Base model :(

I truly hope that either I'm wrong, Elon rounds some of the prices down, or the exchange rate when the cars were built is more favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 USSCork

Hi All,
    I'm a Model 3 reservation holder since July 2017 and I haven't received anything from Tesla yet about finally ordering my car. It's a little frustrating seeing that it's now available in the UK, but not yet in Ireland!! (I was hoping they'd consider us together, rather than consider Ireland as a separate market. In the grand scheme, the Irish market is almost not worth talking about!)

The entry level Model 3 with no extras is $39,500 in the US. This price is WITHOUT Tax (VAT etc), Destination and Documentation fees. The US prices typically don't include Tax, because the American system operates a different system over there.

Then we add...
    EU Tariff on US Imports @ 10% of €36,328 = €3,633, bringing the price to €39,961
    Then add Irish VAT @ 23% of €45,556 = €10,478, bringing the total to €56,034 for the Entry level Model 3 in Ireland!

Now, minus from the above the SEAI grant @ €5,000 and the VRT rebate @ €5,000 and that brings the cost to €46,034.

I truly hope that either I'm wrong, Elon rounds some of the prices down, or the exchange rate when the cars were built is more favourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

USSCork wrote: »
    Hi All,

Then we add...
    EU Tariff on US Imports @ 10% of €36,328 = €3,633, bringing the price to €39,961

Is VRT not added to the final all inclusive figure? if so you can add a few more K.:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement