Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

TCP/IP wrote: »
    That's why EV is perfect for most people because they are cheapskates and only care about saving money it's not about the joy of driving. 99% of EV owners are not car enthusiasts.

What % of the general population would you say are car enthusiasts?
    I'd say its a very very small % by looking at the cars on the roads.... 0-60 times, plush interiors and driving dynamics are not at the top of most peoples lists when buying... the switch to CUV/SUV is a good indicator of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

That's why EV is perfect for most people because they are cheapskates and only care about saving money it's not about the joy of driving. 99% of EV owners are not car enthusiasts.

I think you're confusing EV drivers with diesel drivers.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

KCross wrote: »
    What % of the general population would you say are car enthusiasts?
    I'd say its a very very small % by looking at the cars on the roads.... 0-60 times, plush interiors and driving dynamics are not at the top of most peoples lists when buying... the switch to CUV/SUV is a good indicator of that.

I totally agree I would say it’s 1% are true car enthusiasts or a very small figure. Most people just care about getting from A to B in the cheapest way possible.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd say quite a lot of people who bought EVs thus far are EV enthusiasts though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd say quite a lot of people who bought EVs thus far are EV enthusiasts though.

Of course they are they would not have bought one otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Wallet enthusiasts more like

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What do you drive?

Haha going to enjoy this :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Haha going to enjoy this :pac::pac:

Second thought I don't actually care......

I wouldn’t think so.

Just anecdotally from this forum people buy EV for various reasons...

Environment
    Cheap to run
    EV drivetrain (smooth, torque etc)
    New tech geeky reasons

Probably missed a few reasons but I don’t think EV owners can all be stuck into one bracket. Sure there are people on here who traded Yaris’ and BMW’s for EV’s so clearly owners are not all the same. Very diverse group from what I can see.

Well please feel free to expand your comment.

No, don't think I need to

Care to expand on your information on why people who BEV are not car enthusiasts? have you carried out a poll or study?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Mike9832 wrote:
    Leaf62?

Yes that's the one- leaf e plus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Care to expand on your information on why people who BEV are not car enthusiasts? have you carried out a poll or study?

I think most early EV owners were technology enthusiasts or interested in the green side of savings, certainly based on the people I met at public chargers and discussed EVs with but I think Tesla much change that and bring more car enthusiasts to EV’s.

In other words as a previous EV owner I think ye both are correct :D

Villain wrote: »
    I think most early EV owners were technology enthusiasts or interested in the green side of savings, certainly based on the people I met at public chargers and discussed EVs with but I think Tesla much change that and bring more car enthusiasts to EV’s.

In other words as a previous EV owner I think ye both are correct :D

I think the combustion engine brigade have huge fear of change, first it was "I won't drive a car till it goes to Cork", then it was "cork and back", then it was "Belfast to Cork". All a load of c**p

Now that is gone it is try to insult the driver, as if someone driving a combustion engine is somehow better.

Stick a thread on the motors forum with any requirements and watch the flood of Skoda recommendations. Majority of them never driven a petrol in their life. Car enthusiasts my ass......

Care to expand on your information on why people who BEV are not car enthusiasts? h
    ave you carried out a poll or study?

No problem fair enough whatever you feel comfortable with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Works both ways also.
    99% of ICE drivers are not car enthusiasts.

kceire wrote: »
    Works both ways also.
    99% of ICE drivers are not car enthusiasts.

I totally agree with you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I totally agree with you.

People choose various cars for various reasons I suppose.
    People Who should be in petrol or EV choose diesel because that’s what is drilled into them. My mam has an F10 520d MSport. 132 car with 20k Km on it. An EV would do her. A Gen 1 leaf would do her for a week even with the reduced range but it’s the perceived notion of electric and plugging in.

My wife has a 142 F10 MSport too. She does less mileage than me but has no interest in plugging in. Yet she’ll pick my car every time at the weekend because she knows I’m there.

You choose an M4 (nice choice by the way) even if I do like the saloon F30 version better :p

I think people need to stop the bickering.
    I choose EV because of the perceived savings. If I don’t have to buy petrol/diesel I can spend more on the actual car. I could have bought an E60 M5 and god knows I’ll regret that some day but it just wouldn’t work now a days with work, kids and site visits.

Same reason I have solar PV. Not because of the reduced savings or the attempt to make savings. Heck they may cost me more as o get staff ESB units through my wife, I got them for the small contribution to the environment that they make. It doesn’t matter how small a change we all make, small
    Steps make the long journey eventually.

Now I’m making a cup of tea with my kettle that’s connected to the grid being powered by a diesel plant somewhere in Wicklow or something. :D

No problem fair enough whatever you feel comfortable with.

I am not sure what the point of your posts are?

You say BEV drivers are not car enthusiasts as they are some sort of inferior car owner, but then agree that 99% of driver are not either?

So why post at all?

I am not sure what the point of your posts are?

You say BEV drivers are not car enthusiasts as they are some sort of inferior car owner, but then agree that 99% of driver are not either?

So why post at all?

It’s ok if you don’t understand don’t worry yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

People who drive electric cars are superior humans, simple enough really.

• Advertisement

It’s ok if you don’t understand don’t worry yourself.

So you finishing trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

There are many types of enthusiasts and I certainly would never purposely try and run down or denigrate others who have different ideas to me.

What is a car enthusiast? Is it someone who is interested in power? In beauty? In hypermiling? In detailing? In technology? Or something that just gives you freedom and practicality that we all love?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

grogi wrote: »
    I think it's 49k before the SEAI grant, but with already reduced VRT.
    Tesla expect it to be 48k AFTER grants/incentives.
    Old diesel wrote: »
    I got the impression that an earlier poster was told by Tesla Sandyford that 48/49 k was AFTER grant.
    Yes - that was me and you are quite correct.
    Old diesel wrote: »
    But in his youtube video Bob Flavin implies the 49 k is "before discounts" and that the car will be similarly priced to Kona.
    He does indeed. And based on what I was told today, first hand - I believe he is incorrect - I really wish he wasn't but unfortunately it looks like 48k after incentives/grants.

Should have said, more than happy to be proven wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

TCP/IP wrote:

Not this ****e again !?

Not this ****e again !?

Why if it's true?

Nearly every poster here is driving an EV for the cheap running cost's

If petrol was 30c a litre would they drive a 200km range EV, not a chance

EV's are popular in countries that have extortionate fuel prices

In countries that don't they are doa.

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Tesla expect it to be 48k AFTER grants/incentives.

Yes - that was me and you are quite correct.

He does indeed. And based on what I was told today, first hand - I believe he is incorrect - I really wish he wasn't but unfortunately it looks like 48k after incentives/grants.

Should have said, more than happy to be proven wrong!

No EV for me till 2022 at this rate

48k after a 10k government subsidy

What a joke

Honestly, a joke

Anyone that thinks VW are going to come in and save the day with a 30k EV, need to get real

Calm heads on the price. Both bobbybingo and flavin have got their info from the same source.

One of them got bad info. It could be either. Let’s wait and see.

Calm heads on the price. Both bobbybingo and flavin have got their info from the same source.

Your around long enough KCross

You know the 48k figure is going to be correct

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Your around long enough KCross

You know the 48k figure is going to be correct

It would explain why the Kona and eNiro are 39k! Makes them look like a bargain if the SR is 48k after incentives! :)

I’m not convinced one way or the other what price is correct. Musk will have failed, imo, if the SR is 48k. That’s not a threat to any incumbent, so I’ll hold on the price until I see it on their website!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Both are probably wrong. And grogi and I are right :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement