Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

AudiKid wrote: »
    Does anybody know,

Do we get our interview date, and time, along with the familiarisation material, and forms?

or

Do we get them separately?

All in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gem1994

Anyone know where abouts they are roughly in the interviews?
    Also does anyone know if its the certificate of LC results or statement of results thats needed?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Does anyone know roughly what OOM they are on now?

Just to get an idea of where I am in the queue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

VicMack wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly what OOM they are on now?

Just to get an idea of where I am in the queue :)

I'm in the mid 300's.

I actually think that if your in the 6 or 7 hundreds you have a bit of an advantage because you have loads of time to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

I'm in the mid 300's.

I actually think that if your in the 6 or 7 hundreds you have a bit of an advantage because you have loads of time to prepare

Same as mysel mid 300s! Can anybody tell me what the interviews are on right now? Have they passed the 100 or 200 mark yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

I'm 600 and something. I've plenty of time by the looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

VicMack wrote: »
    Same as mysel mid 300s! Can anybody tell me what the interviews are on right now? Have they passed the 100 or 200 mark yet?

I was mid 100's and I did mine last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Had my interview today, mid 100s.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I think a fair few of us are in the same boat with the interview being the big hurdle. Im not the fittest person around but with the amount of time to prepare for it we should all be in reasonable shape by the time we head down for the PCT

You'd be surprised how many people fail fitness tests: fitness tests for the army have a failure rate of around 50% from my own anecdotal experience. The police standard is very manageable but a fair number won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Lockstep wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many people fail fitness tests: army fitness tests have a failure rate of around 50% from my own anecdotal evidence. It's very manageable for someone to reach the police standard easily but a fair number won't bother.

Yea, the Garda in my orientation said a lot of people were failing it. Also there is a big difference in being fit and passing it. A lot of it is based on muscle endurance so if you go gym few days a week and you're pretty strong you still may fail it. I heard of a 'beast of a lad' you failed it last time for bad form the pushups.
    Its 25 pushups with no time limit
    35 Sit Ups in 1 minute.
    Also you will have to complete an obstacle course, beep test and push pull machine. Its better to be over prepared then winging it! On the day you may not be feeling great, might of tweaked something the week before any thing is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Det. John Kimble

Omahony92 wrote: »
    Sup, been here before did my last interview in November passed it. Passed the medical/ physical blah blah blah but after a bit of vetting and them realising Id been a bold boy in my younger years the brass declined me. Nevertheless, im back at the interview stage and will continue to apply until they deem me suitable.

Moving on, i can answer any questions ye may have. Tip numero uno I used career services for an interview prep the last time and it was top notch.

Tip numero 2 - full suit, jacket shirt, tie (i like the double windsor knot myself), suit pants, shoes etc. Men clean shaven.

Tip numero 3 - actually thats all I can think of right now but i'm here to provide info on my experience anyway folks and I wish ye the best of luck.

Oh last thing more to do with life experience but in interviews I always try to be humble in my approach to the interview yet confident in my experience, knowledge and preperation ;)

How bold were you? Im worried a minor offense in my past might go against me too. Got a fine for urinating in a public place 😳 Should of just paid the 20c for the public toilet, ended up costing me €250! Most expensive pee pee I ever took 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

How bold were you? Im worried a minor offense in my past might go against me too. Got a fine for urinating in a public place 😳 Should of just paid the 20c for the public toilet, ended up costing me €250! Most expensive pee pee I ever took 😳

Recently, A local sargeant told me the vetting was mainly for convictions and family relations that could be heavily involved in crime. He said other than that it's usually fine.

On Boards, I have not hear many who failed due to vetting problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rya_bren

Absolutly delighted with my results my OOM for the first stage was mid 1400's it's now mid 700's. Anyone know how long between getting your results and them sending on your interview date? Time to get preparing for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭daisy321

rya_bren wrote: »
    Absolutly delighted with my results my OOM for the first stage was mid 1400's it's now mid 700's. Anyone know how long between getting your results and them sending on your interview date? Time to get preparing for it!

It could possibly be this week or the week after - hard to judge really but hopefully soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanlad

Hi all,

Is there any chance that if you come across very well in the interview that they might not pass you due to your age?

I am 20 in July and am just a bit worried that no matter how well I do they may say I am too young and to wait a while.

I know the age is from 18 - 35 but let's face it there's not many 21 year old guards around.

navanlad wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is there any chance that if you come across very well in the interview that they might not pass you due to your age?

I am 20 in July and am just a bit worried that no matter how well I do they may say I am too young and to wait a while.

I know the age is from 18 - 35 but let's face it there's not many 21 year old guards around.

You have to get a minimum mark in each of your competencies to pass the interview.

They are not allowed judge you on the basis of your age. The same way you cant be judged on your sex, race, ethnic background etc.

If your good enough, and prepared enough you'll be fine.

I have exams coming up so is it possible if i got an interview date that didnt suit if i can reschedule it?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

nope. Theyre not fond of rescheduling cause it puts a back log on the process. Only in exceptional circumstances I think e.g Family Bereavement

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ayogdx

It looks like I might have to pull out of the race. I will definitely apply next time they're recruiting but I'm just wondering if me pulling out this time will reflect negatively on my next application?

Prob a stupid question but im gettin a brace.do yas think it will be an issue for the interview or should i wait and get it after my interview?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Very good point. I know what the age limits are but I think a lot of people would reject a very young candidate simply because of age. Anyone saying they can't or won't is fooling themselves. All they have to say is ''not enough life experience''

One candidate on the career portals website was 21. According to a lot of the press releases and story's lately most of the Gardai chosen recently were in their later 20's.

http://www.careersportal.ie/sectors/jobholder.php?jobholder_id=342&sector_id=23&client_id=28#.VyfnR2fmrIU

carzony wrote: »
    Very good point. I know what the age limits are but I think a lot of people would reject a very young candidate simply because of age. Anyone saying they can't or won't is fooling themselves. All they have to say is ''not enough life experience''

One candidate on the career portals website was 21. According to a lot of the press releases and story's lately most of the Gardai chosen recently were in their later 20's.

http://www.careersportal.ie/sectors/jobholder.php?jobholder_id=342&sector_id=23&client_id=28#.VyfnR2fmrIU

That is absolute nonsense Carzony.

As I said above, interview panels are not allowed judge people on their age, sexuality, ethnic background etc.

The age limits are their for a reason.

I know of individuals during the last campaign who were of similar age, only had the leaving cert, and they had very little work experience, and they got to Templemore.

So I think your fooling yourself to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 topman1945

Lockstep wrote: »
    We got a checklist after completing stage 2, mine is back at home but IIRC, it said we needed an original copy of our LC results plus photocopies, proof that we speak 2 languages (LC is fine), birth cert and photo ID. I'll doublecheck when I get home.

Do you know if an age card would be a valid ID? My passport expired a few weeks ago and the only Id I have now is my age card

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dalenka

Is it 2 languages except English or is English included?

dalenka wrote: »

English can be included.

You must have one of English or Irish, and a proven proficiency in another language.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 navanlad

Where are the interviews held and who is on the interview board?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

Interviews are held in Chapter house, there will be 4 people in the room one will just be taking notes the other 3 will be asking the questions 2 from public jobs and a garda. It will last about 40 minutes.

dalenka wrote: »
    According to the info we were sent for round 2, we need to show proficiency in two languages, one of which must be English or Irish. So if you've English and another language, you'll be sound.
    Dunno who'll be on the interview board but interview dates vary so it'll be impossible for anyone here to tell you. You'll need to wait for them to contact you.

topman1945 wrote: »
    Do you know if an age card would be a valid ID? My passport expired a few weeks ago and the only Id I have now is my age card

I'm not sure. You'd probably need to contact the PAS to confirm.

• Advertisement

That is absolute nonsense Carzony.

As I said above, interview panels are not allowed judge people on their age, sexuality, ethnic background etc.

The age limits are their for a reason.

I know of individuals during the last campaign who were of similar age, only had the leaving cert, and they had very little work experience, and they got to Templemore.

So I think your fooling yourself to be honest.

I'm sure a few lads will get in but surely the vast majority would be in their late 20's with more experience, qualifications and life experience.

Only last week I seen a civil service job discriminate people in their early 20's so it does happen quite often. I know lads in the reserves who were rejected for that very reason.

I have not heard any lads with only a leaving cert, little work experience getting in the last few rounds? Competition can't be that tough so.

Advertisement