Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 3 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

carzony wrote: »
    I'm sure a few lads will get in but surely the vast majority would be in their late 20's with more experience, qualifications and life experience.

Only last week I seen a civil service job discriminate people in their early 20's so it does happen quite often. I know lads in the reserves who were rejected for that very reason.

I have not heard any lads with only a leaving cert, little work experience getting in the last few rounds? Competition can't be that tough so.

I'm sure the vast majority will be in there late 20's, but there is no reason why navanlad can't do well in his interview and progress to the next round.

His age has no bearing, and comments like yours will not exactly help his confidence or others of similar age.

We should be helping and encouraging each other on this forum, because if you are good enough then you'll make it regardless of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

I think that being on the younger side might be seen as an advantage. With the amount of brain drain the last few years I can see AGS wanting to get their moneys worth with new recruits. The younger you join the longer they have you as a member. Thats not to say having life experience is not important though. At the end of the day the requirements state that you must be between 18-35 so we are all on a level playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭daisy321

Anyone any idea where they are on the OOM list now for the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

daisy321 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where they are on the OOM list now for the interviews?

They're at mid 100s now!

VicMack wrote: »
    They're at mid 100s now!

I'd of thought they were starting on the 200s now.

Hopefully they accommodate people who have holidays booked which I'm sure a lot of people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Does anyone know how much notice they give of when your interview is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

Lockstep wrote: »

I got 3 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Lockstep wrote: »

I got 2 weeks

I wonder when will the rest of us get our interview forms etc. Hopefully soon anyways !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

I wonder when will the rest of us get our interview forms etc. Hopefully soon anyways !

Yeah hopefully, can't wait to get that date and start preparing.. I don't even know where to start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Buzzer95o

Hey guys. First time posting in this thread. I've gotten into stage 3 which I'm absolutely over the moon about. In the 800 range! Really hoping the interview will go good for me and the other stages as I really want this. As everyone here does. However I'm just finishing up my college degree at the moment and my second option after the guards has always been teaching so as I'm not sure if I'm going to get the guards I want to apply for my masters in teaching asback up. It will start in September but do you think we will know by September if we've gotten the guards or not? And also if I do get the guards, would it be wise to maybe apply for a year long course that wouldn't be as severe as dropping out of a €12000 masters 😂😂 I wouldn't feel too bad if I'd to drop out of a course that's half price! But starting to think that maybe I might actually be able to complete the one year course in the time I'm even called to temple more IF I'm called to templemore? Sorry for such a long post guys but just slightly confused at the moment 😔 All in all just wondering when's the likelihood we will be going to templemore if we pass and all that? It's just kind of frustrating to not do anything at the moment career wise for me as I feel I'm putting things on hold for the guards that I may not even get!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Buzzer95o wrote: »
    Hey guys. First time posting in this thread. I've gotten into stage 3 which I'm absolutely over the moon about. In the 800 range! Really hoping the interview will go good for me and the other stages as I really want this. As everyone here does. However I'm just finishing up my college degree at the moment and my second option after the guards has always been teaching so as I'm not sure if I'm going to get the guards I want to apply for my masters in teaching asback up. It will start in September but do you think we will know by September if we've gotten the guards or not? And also if I do get the guards, would it be wise to maybe apply for a year long course that wouldn't be as severe as dropping out of a €12000 masters 😂😂 I wouldn't feel too bad if I'd to drop out of a course that's half price! But starting to think that maybe I might actually be able to complete the one year course in the time I'm even called to temple more IF I'm called to templemore? Sorry for such a long post guys but just slightly confused at the moment 😔 All in all just wondering when's the likelihood we will be going to templemore if we pass and all that? It's just kind of frustrating to not do anything at the moment career wise for me as I feel I'm putting things on hold for the guards that I may not even get!

Do the course and maybe apply for the guards later if you still want it? Recruitment is likely to improve in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭danjob1987

Does anyone know if by some small miracle I get through the interview and physical if service can carry over, I have some time done with the Irish Prison Service..?

You should know before September If you've passed the interview.

If your 800, you will probably have your interview hopefully done and dusted and you'll have your results by then.

I think there's a Garda class in September, and maybe November too.

So if I was you I'd wait to see how you do in the interview before you worry, and then if you get offered a place you might be able to defer it untill your masters is finished?

danjob1987 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if by some small miracle I get through the interview and physical if service can carry over, I have some time done with the Irish Prison Service..?

I'm in a similar position to you.

I've heard that it does, I'm going to look into it if I get offered a place.

Yeah hopefully, can't wait to get that date and start preparing.. I don't even know where to start!

I'm gonna start planning my competencies now and get a few examples ready for each. Is anyone doing any prep courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Yes it does. Your service will carry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivikins

I'm gonna start planning my competencies now and get a few examples ready for each. Is anyone doing any prep courses?
    I'm doing one this Sunday in Dublin- asked them would there be one in Cork soon but they said there wasn't one in the next week or two. I'm going to do the course so I can have an idea of whats to come as I don't have a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jaymayo91

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but is anyone else here concerned about the reduction in allowances and reduced starting salary for new recruits? I have always wanted to be a garda but it seems I would be taking a significant pay cut from my current job if I'm successful. Anyone else the same?

vivikins wrote: »
    I'm doing one this Sunday in Dublin- asked them would there be one in Cork soon but they said there wasn't one in the next week or two. I'm going to do the course so I can have an idea of whats to come as I don't have a clue!

Yeah I'm the same, I'm doing the one on Saturday in Dublin. If only they came to Cork! But I guess the numbers are smaller now compared to stage 1 & 2

• Advertisement

Jaymayo91 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but is anyone else here concerned about the reduction in allowances and reduced starting salary for new recruits? I have always wanted to be a garda but it seems I would be taking a significant pay cut from my current job if I'm successful. Anyone else the same?

I'm concerned a bit, but I'd rather be in a job I love and be poor, then a job I hate and be rich.

I hate my current job and it's fairly well paid.

I would quit in the morning if the Gards came calling.

I do have the benefit though of having no mortgage or kids.

AudiKid wrote: »

If your 800, you will probably have your interview hopefully done and dusted and you'll have your results by then.

So if I was you I'd wait to see how you do in the interview before you worry, and then if you get offered a place you might be able to defer it untill your masters is finished?

Thanks so much for your help. Are we allowed to defer if we get the guards do you know? I didn't think that was an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jaymayo91

Does anyone know which is the best prep course? There seems to be a few on the go

AudiKid wrote: »

Thanks for your help. Didn't realise it may be a possibility to defer the guards if gotten. Are you sure about deferring?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Thanks for your help. Didn't realise it may be a possibility to defer the guards if gotten. Are you sure about deferring?

You can only defer 1 intake. If you get offered an intake in September (if that's the date) you can only defer to the next one (say November's intake) but you can't defer 2 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 vivikins

Yeah I'm the same, I'm doing the one on Saturday in Dublin. If only they came to Cork! But I guess the numbers are smaller now compared to stage 1 & 2
    That's what I thought too, I'd prefer to make the trek and know whats going on as opposed to feeling lost for the next few weeks- hate that feeling! It's supposed to be good anyway so fingers crossed, I started back at the gym last night cos I'm freaking over the physical if I get through the interview, don't want to leave it any longer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _IamCiara_

Heya guys :)

I had my interview last Monday week. I don't have my results yet but don't panic, they aren't there to trick you out and just learn your competencies inside out!

Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 _IamCiara_

I had my interview last Monday week. I don't have my results yet but don't panic, they aren't there to trick you out and just learn your competencies inside out!

Good luck to everyone!

_IamCiara_ wrote: »

Good luck to everyone!

Can you just confirm what the competancies are exactly.

Is it 5 or 6?

And what are they down as with the publicjobs info.

The majority of us are still waiting to get this from them.

• Advertisement

That's what I thought too, I'd prefer to make the trek and know whats going on as opposed to feeling lost for the next few weeks- hate that feeling! It's supposed to be good anyway so fingers crossed, I started back at the gym last night cos I'm freaking over the physical if I get through the interview, don't want to leave it any longer :(

Yeah same here, we'll get loads done I'm sure :)

Oh I know I really need to start practicing for the bleep test as well, I think it's a level of 7.6 or something we need to get?

Advertisement