Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 200 Jones vs Cormier 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's going to turn into Conor spamming lead lefts again, Diaz rolling with them and then catching Conor every single time he feels like it with combos.

Diaz didn't just out box Conor either, he was able to throw him against the cage and land heavy knees with little real resistance in both rounds as well.

All this talk of Conor acting as a counter puncher against Diaz or taking out his lead leg. It's fantasy stuff, he will be beat again, and in similar fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

PIMPHO wrote: »
    I posted the day I landed back in Ireland and said I was on same flight as Conor's Mum and she said that he'd been on antibiotics for a chest infection 2 weeks leading up to the fight. Obviously didn't want to disclose this or make an excuse so kept it under wraps. Explains why he went for early KO & gassed. If he's fully fit, he'll beat Diaz IMO.

That's very interesting. A couple of people on here posted that he seemed like he had a heavy cold during the press conference when it was going on. I'd heard the chest infection rumour from someone else a couple of weeks ago but dismissed it, but I'm sure it's true as it would be a strange thing for his mother to make up.

He couldn't really do anything differently considering what he had been saying about Aldo and dos Anjos pulling out of fights, but fair play to him for pushing on through it even though in hindsight the sensible thing would have been to take the out when dos Anjos withdrew. Conor also referred to having a couple of opportunities to pull out even when the Diaz fight was made so he could well have been referring to his infection.

However I wish it came out publically that he had the illness as it's certainly a huge reason why he may have gassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It's going to turn into Conor spamming lead lefts again, Diaz rolling with them and then catching Conor every single time he feels like it with combos.

Diaz didn't just out box Conor either, he was able to throw him against the cage and land heavy knees with little real resistance in both rounds as well.

All this talk of Conor acting as a counter puncher against Diaz or taking out his lead leg. It's fantasy stuff, he will be beat again, and in similar fashion.

McGregor taking out Diaz's lead leg isnt fantasy stuff, its exactly how fighters have got to Diaz before and its a strategy McGregor absolutely can and should use. He had some success with it even in the first fight.

http://gfycat.com/LawfulZealousHoneyeater

Saying Diaz caught McGregor with combos "every single time he felt like it" is fantasy. McGregor won the first round ffs. Acting like McGregor has 0 chance whatsoever in a rematch is as naive as the people who thought McGregor was going to walk through Diaz in the first fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paully D wrote: »
    That's very interesting. A couple of people on here posted that he seemed like he had a heavy cold during the press conference when it was going on. I'd heard the chest infection rumour from someone else a couple of weeks ago but dismissed it, but I'm sure it's true as it would be a strange thing for his mother to make up.

He couldn't really do anything differently considering what he had been saying about Aldo and dos Anjos pulling out of fights, but fair play to him for pushing on through it even though in hindsight the sensible thing would have been to take the out when dos Anjos withdrew. Conor also referred to having a couple of opportunities to pull out even when the Diaz fight was made so he could well have been referring to his infection.

However I wish it came out publically that he had the illness as it's certainly a huge reason why he may have gassed.

Just on this for reference of how bad it could effect a fighter watch Mendes v Lentz he gassed after a round while he was on that tear before his second shot at Aldo, looked like **** and said he had a cold going into the fight which ****ed up his stamina and breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,165 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes i have. Have the ufc ever officially disclosed ppv sales?
    Yes. They say this event did X, or that event did Y all the time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gamebred wrote: »
    Frankie pulls pathetic numbers Ive posted them before hes a free tv fighter nobody cares about him why should he bother his arse cutting weight for a smaller pay cheque?

You seem to be ignorant to the fact hes a prize fighter in a sports entertainment company,Im sure he gives a rats ass about what someone on an interforum thinks of him not fighting Edgar,remember legacy wont pay his bills for the next 40 years,big fights will.

We were never talking about money. You've gone off the track of our discussion so I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It is gas listening to people say Conor just needs to do XYZ and he will win. Neglecting to mention that he has never done that in the cage before. "Conor should spam leg kicks" - When has he ever leg kicked anyone? Not to mention he easily got taken down off of a bodykick in the first fight. "Conor should just outpoint/outbox Diaz" Only person he has ever outpointed was Holloway who he could take down after he hurt his knee. Is he really going to beat Diaz over 25 minutes without getting tired or subbed?

Diaz was in on 10 days notice yet we are to believe only Conor can be better in the second fight. We know Nate can take his power shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If he did indeed have a chest infection, then his fitness would be in massive trouble for a while afterwards. I played a rugby match a few years ago with a chest infection and it's worse than if you were on the p!ss for a long weekend. It so difficult to deal with.

I've no doubt in my mind that Conor will be back and much better for this loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Mellor wrote: »
    Yes. They say this event did X, or that event did Y all the time

And Dana never lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Davei141 wrote: »
    It is gas listening to people say Conor just needs to do XYZ and he will win.

Diaz was in on 10 days notice yet we are to believe only Conor can be better in the second fight. We know Nate can take his power shots.

Ya it's funny the he'll knock his block off in round 1 has been replaced with fight conservative on the way to a points decision my God.

• Advertisement

And Dana never lies.

Exactly like 189 done "Over a million" and turned out to be 825,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭pgj2015

conor will win the re match as long as he takes some of this before the fight.

it would of been funny if mcgregor pulled out because of his "chest infection" a cough the other fighters would say, as dos anjos pulled out because of a bruised toe according to mcgregor, pretty pathetic that he has his mother making excuses for him. Nate will easily win the re match.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=uniflu&rlz=1C1DSGQ_enIE519IE519&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicrKv619bLAhXEZA8KHbmZDbkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=OH7s1djBtCK5SM%3A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The same people who give Conor no chance in a rematch,Id of loved to hear their opinions after all the upsets in the ufc over the years pretty sure they'd of written off Cruz Gsp and Cain in rematches,Its a tough fight but to go on like its impossible is fairytale stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The only way Conor wins is by doctor stoppage due to Diazs scar tissue(ie his whole face) opening up too bad

And Dana never lies.
    What's your point. You asked if they disclose numbers. You never asked if they were accurate.

It's a private company, not a publically traded one. They can disclose as much or as little as they like, or exaggerate if they like.
    Exactly like 189 done "Over a million" and turned out to be 825,000.
    He said trending for over 1 million. Apparently the 825k number doesn't include UFC.tv/FightPass buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Vanity matchmaking, totally pointless fight in a sporting sense. As a purist i think UFC 200 should be all about belts and legacies, but it's looking like the top of the card will be a completely irrelevant WW fight that no one asked for.

What's your point. You asked if they disclose numbers. You never asked if they were accurate.

It's a private company, not a publically traded one. They can disclose as much or as little as they like, or exaggerate if they like.

He said trending for over 1 million. Apparently the 825k number doesn't include UFC.tv/FightPass buys.

My point is you and gamebred are on about ppv points. Noone knows the correct figures as they never release them so using them to.back yourself up is ridiculous.

As a champ he should be defending belt if hes active. One superfight is fair enough but hes holding up the division for a fight that means nothing in the title mix.in either.division.

Rumours that ufc to be sold so maybe these sorts of matchmaking are to bump up price

Ufc 200 should be huge ppv wise regardless who is on.the card.

if the ppv figures dont.need.to be accurate i could say they sold only 50,000 ppv for.mc gregor diaz.

I dont think its impossible mcgregor wins. I would.doubt it. He doesnt seem to have the.power and apart.from.the.sniffles he gassed very quick. His best.bet is probably a 3 rounder at that weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

pgj2015 wrote: »
    conor will win the re match as long as he takes some of this before the fight.

it would of been funny if mcgregor pulled out because of his "chest infection" a cough the other fighters would say, as dos anjos pulled out because of a bruised toe according to mcgregor, pretty pathetic that he has his mother making excuses for him. Nate will easily win the re match.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=uniflu&rlz=1C1DSGQ_enIE519IE519&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicrKv619bLAhXEZA8KHbmZDbkQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=OH7s1djBtCK5SM%3A

He doesn't have his mother making excuses for him!! At no point has his mother come out and publicly stated that he had a chest infection. If you had read the post correctly (Post #89), you would see that the poster was on the same flight as Conor's mother who said on the flight that he had been on Antibiotics (either directly to the poster or overheard by the poster - that much is not clear). There's a huge difference between her saying something to someone in confidence on a flight and her making excuses for Conor FFS!!
    bur wrote:
    Vanity matchmaking, totally pointless fight in a sporting sense. As a purist i think UFC 200 should be all about belts and legacies, but it's looking like the top of the card will be a completely irrelevant WW fight that no one asked for.

A fight that no one asked for but that a hell of a lot of people will pay to see. Figure that one out!

My point is you and gamebred are on about ppv points. Noone knows the correct figures as they never release them so using them to.back yourself up is ridiculous.

As a champ he should be defending belt if hes active. One superfight is fair enough but hes holding up the division for a fight that means nothing in the title mix.in either.division.

Rumours that ufc to be sold so maybe these sorts of matchmaking are to bump up price

if the ppv figures dont.need.to be accurate i could say they sold only 50,000 ppv for.mc gregor diaz.

I dont think its impossible mcgregor wins. I would.doubt it. He doesnt seem to have the.power and apart.from.the.sniffles he gassed very quick. His best.bet is probably a 3 rounder at that weight

Again you made a point that he gets paid the same weather he fights Frankie or Diaz,this is absolute garbage talk and you are now trying to squirm out of the comment by questioning accuracy of ppv sales numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

This is just not true! The PPVs cost about $60 in the US. Unless there's fights that people want to see, they're not going to part with that type of cash regardless of the number that comes after the letters UFC.

Who has more credibility in terms of the figures, you or the UFC? I think I'm going to believe the UFC thanks! They do release figures, we can only assume the final ones are accurate - no further information is available from anywhere else.

From the information that has been released, Conor's fights have brought in big numbers with the fight against Diaz bringing in the biggest numbers. Given that, I find it hard to understand why people are questioning the logic of a rematch. Yes, I get that from a sporting perspective, McGregor defending his belt is the right fight to make. The fight game is as much about (if not more about) entertainment and money than sport. Always has been, always will!

• Advertisement

The same people who give Conor no chance in a rematch,Id of loved to hear their opinions after all the upsets in the ufc over the years pretty sure they'd of written off Cruz Gsp and Cain in rematches,Its a tough fight but to go on like its impossible is fairytale stuff.

Of course it is not impossible but we have people attributing gameplans and techniques to Conor that he has never shown any signs of utilising before as a reason he is going to win.

What do you mean they don't release them. They release that it 1.5m for 196.
    On what grounds are you saying this isn't correct? Even If it turns out to have been rounded up a bit. Does that change any of the points being made?
    Of course you can. It's a free world, you can claim what ever you like.
    But I imagine most people will believe that the number coming from the UFC is more accurate than a random persons claim online.

Of course it is not impossible but we have people attributing gameplans and techniques to Conor that he has never shown any signs of utilising before as a reason he is going to win.

True but everything about McGregor and peoples opinion of him is black and white theres no inbetween with him,hes either great and hes going to win the rematch or hes useless and has no chance (both are very wrong).

True but everything about McGregor and peoples opinion of him is black and white theres no inbetween with him,hes either great and hes going to win the rematch or hes useless and has no chance (both are very wrong).

I agree. I just think logically after what we have seen that this is a bad bad match up for him yet people genuinely believe if he fought like RDA he could have won, forgetting that he isn't RDA and doesn't have the same tools.

What do you mean they don't release them. They release that it 1.5m for 196.
    On what grounds are you saying this isn't correct? Even If it turns out to have been rounded up a bit. Does that change any of the points being made?

Of course you can. It's a free world, you can claim what ever you like.
    But I imagine most people will believe that the number coming from the UFC is more accurate than a random persons claim online.

Of course it is in the UFC's interest to tell you "this was the biggest PPV EVER!!" they are promoters, just like it was in their interest to say 189 done over a million after the build up included Conor constantly saying he will break a million. Right after Dana White says they did a million Conor posts up on social media about it and it is suddenly apart of the PR. That is why you take UFC numbers with a pinch of salt.
    I'll wait for Dave Meltzer's numbers personally.

I agree. I just think logically after what we have seen that this is a bad bad match up for him yet people genuinely believe if he fought like RDA he could have won, forgetting that he isn't RDA and doesn't have the same tools.

Diaz is beatable,not ko'able but he is beatable for sure you have to upset his rhythem and not let him get into his range where he pops 1-2s,frustrate him and make him miss,hes not going to start shooting takedown either im confident Conor will be much more competitive in the rematch.

BOHtox wrote: »
    The fight was offered to Frankie and Aldo and neither were available.

I agree McGregor should defend his belt and do so against Frankie but I don't buy the idea he's holding up the division. Especially as Aldo only managed to defend his title every 8 months on average.

However it will get a bit ridiculous if fights Diaz at UFC 200, then the LW champ at 203 or something like that. But at the minute it's fine

can somebody just clarify something for me, the chronology is baffling.

so to be fair!! jose and edgar have been offered a fight at respective weight under the UFC200 card and neither can take it for injury??

The only way Conor wins is by doctor stoppage due to Diazs scar tissue(ie his whole face) opening up too bad

ha ha, that was my 1st prediction for the fight in Feb, by round 3,
    I had it happening!:(

Again you made a point that he gets paid the same weather he fights Frankie or Diaz,this is absolute garbage talk and you are now trying to squirm out of the comment by questioning accuracy of ppv sales numbers.

Im.talking about ufc.200.

The card will be stacked so i dont think it matters who he fights. He is the.draw to casual.fans. he is the.reason.they.buy it. As such mcgregor nuthuggers you wuld.think you would believe that. Demetrious johnson is not a draw matter who he fights so they put him.on cards with.other.draws.

You can believe whatever you want. They dont release figures. All Dana says is this is the.biggest. ever after every numbered ufc.

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    can somebody just clarify something for me, the chronology is baffling.

so to be fair!! jose and edgar have been offered a fight at respective weight under the UFC200 card and neither can take it for injury??

When rda pulled out both were unavailable to step in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement