Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 200 Jones vs Cormier 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Latest from Helwani
    Says that reports of only a verbal agreement are not true, contracts have actually been issued.
    Fight is happening at 170 because McGregor is a "wildman". He is obsessed that he lost to Nate at 170 and feels he should have won, wants the same rules as the first fight.
    Reports that the fight as of yet is unconfirmed and still just a rumour are not true. When he says "in the works and targeted" the only reason he isn't saying it's official is because he has enough respect for the UFC to let them officially announce it. All parties involved want this fight.
    Official announcement expected this week.

I think this is what those in the Gambling world refer to as chasing your losses. Fking insane.
    Which Belt-Holders are going to want to fight on the undercard at 200? Let alone 2?

Edit: i will be shelling out though. But I can see how long term/serious fans/Current Champions and FW Challengers think this is a joke

It would be a good negotiating angle to get more $. I'm sure they will get paid well whoever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Not defending a belt because you're injured is one thing, not defending a belt but taking two other fights in the meantime is completely different. If this was someone else and McGregor was waiting for a shot this place would be in meltdown with fanboys crying over it.

The fight was offered to Frankie and Aldo and neither were available.

I agree McGregor should defend his belt and do so against Frankie but I don't buy the idea he's holding up the division. Especially as Aldo only managed to defend his title every 8 months on average.

However it will get a bit ridiculous if fights Diaz at UFC 200, then the LW champ at 203 or something like that. But at the minute it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

BOHtox wrote: »

I agree McGregor should defend his belt and do so against Frankie but I don't buy the idea he's holding up the division. Especially as Aldo only managed to defend his title every 8 months on average.

However it will get a bit ridiculous if fights Diaz at UFC 200, then the LW champ at 203 or something like that. But at the minute it's fine

I disagree. He's fit and healthy to fight and this would be his second fight in a row outside the weight class he won the title in. He should be defending the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

I disagree. He's fit and healthy to fight and this would be his second fight in a row outside the weight class he won the title in. He should be defending the belt.

I honestly think he gives up the belt if he fights Diaz again,and Frankie/Aldo fight for it at 200,or at least an interim belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BOHtox wrote: »
    Neither was offer a 145lb title fight for UFC196. Conor simple couldn't make the weight on 10 days notice.

A FW title fight would have had to been push back to UFC 200 (or thereabouts). I'd be confident that both Aldo and Frankie would have been available had that been on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The amount of shits I don't give about this fight. *sigh*

Diaz will beat him again.

The only sense it makes is a financial one - it's been clear that's all McGregor cares about anyway. Although without some excellent bouts on the main card I'd be surprised if it did the same business as the first fight.

I was massively excited about a clash between McGregor / Frankie Edgar. Not quite as excited about a potential Aldo rematch, but I would have preferred it to this.

Interest in 200 has gone from "stay up all night to watch it" to "watch it on facebook when I get up instead".

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Faugheen wrote: »
    If McGregor really feels he should have won then he looks like an idiot. Diaz clocked him one and McGregor was gone from there. With that logic, you could say Mendes and Aldo should have beaten McGregor as well.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Mendes or Aldo should have won.

You could also say that there is no fairness in granting McGregor a rematch for a loss when thr former FW champ did not receive the same benefit, never mind the geniune contender in Edgar.

Roar wrote: »
    Interest in 200 has gone from "stay up all night to watch it" to "watch it on facebook when I get up instead".

You were excited for a fight card with no fights announced.
    But a potential fight between McGregor & Diaz, and you've lost all interest.
    Seams a bit of a dramatic reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mellor wrote: »
    You were excited for a fight card with no fights announced.
    But a potential fight between McGregor & Diaz, and you've lost all interest.
    Seams a bit of a dramatic reaction.

OTT opinions with regards McGregor? Never...:p

J Mysterio wrote: »
    You could also say that there is no fairness in granting McGregor a rematch for a loss when thr former FW champ did not receive the same benefit, never mind the geniune contender in Edgar.
    Aldo was medically suspended after the KO. His rants on Twitter was just posturing. He couldn't legally be licensed for an immediate re-match. Nor should his team have agreed to one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Frankie was given a shot at the FW title on his FW debut after 2 losses at LW, so he can't really say much about the UFC doing him over. He will get his shot.

With McGregor, it's a pride thing, he doesn't want to take the easy way out.

People must be delusional if they think Diaz would destroy him. After jumping 2 weight classes, he kicked the b*llocks out of Diaz in the first round, badly. Let's see how he gets on when he is more used to that weight class and does a lot more work on his groundwork. Send him in with Leinster or something doing rucking drills for some more all round fitness! :pac:

I think his movement now is the last thing he should be worrying about this time around.

Diaz is a tough nut and his JJ is great but let's not get silly here. His punching pattern is the exact same every time.

If Conor keeps up his oblique kicks and relaxes the pace a bit and doesn't go out all guns blazing, he will definitely beat him with a UD, if not knock him out in later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Frankie was given a shot at the FW title on his FW debut after 2 losses at LW, so he can't really say much about the UFC doing him over. He will get his shot.

People must be delusional if they think Diaz would destroy him. After jumping 2 weight classes, he kicked the b*llocks out of Diaz in the first round, badly. Let's see how he gets on when he is more used to that weight class and does a lot more work on his groundwork. Send him in with Leinster or something doing rucking drills for some more all round fitness! :pac:

I think his movement now is the last thing he should be worrying about this time around.

Diaz is a tough nut and his JJ is great but let's not get silly here. His punching pattern is the exact same every time.

If Conor keeps up his oblique kicks and relaxes the pace a bit and doesn't go out all guns blazing, he will definitely beat him with a UD, if not knock him out in later rounds.

Lot of sense in this post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

What odds would I get on Nate pulling out with 2 weeks to go and Nick stepping in and winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

A+ post here

I can see a far more patient McGregor - having learnt the lesson he can't blow through heavier opposition by loading up on each shot - fighting a far more disciplined fight and picking Diaz off for a late stoppage. Big risk though!

As for the fight being at 170 again, one reason that hasn't seem to be mentioned much since the rematch rumours began is a possible fight with GSP.

We all know McGregor is more interested in making dollars than FW title defenses these days and a fight with a returning GSP would be a MASSIVE money fight. Add to the fact GSP was cage-side for the first fight and I can't help but think its a huge fight UFC want to make and is why they want McGregor to get past Nate at 170 rather than at 155 to make it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

GSP would absolutely smash mcgregor.

All you mcgregor fans are mad. Diaz let mcgregor punch himself out. Hit him with one good punch and wobbled mcgregor.

Mc gregor doesn't have the chin for 170. Whether he was tired or not. If he cant take a punch from a heavier weighted fighter (nate is a 155er) and cant ko him hes in trouble. He may say he can go all day but he clearly cant.

Frankie can and has. Mc gregor is afraid of frankie wrestling the sh1t out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

You got to look at it from Diaz side aswel . He will be a lot lot better if they fight again . That was a Nate Diaz taken from his sofa into an Octagon .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

GSP would absolutely smash mcgregor.

All you mcgregor fans are mad. Diaz let mcgregor punch himself out. Hit him with one good punch and wobbled mcgregor.

Mc gregor doesn't have the chin for 170. Whether he was tired or not. If he cant take a punch from a heavier weighted fighter (nate is a 155er) and cant ko him hes in trouble. He may say he can go all day but he clearly cant.

Frankie can and has. Mc gregor is afraid of frankie wrestling the sh1t out of him.

McGregor afraid of frankie edgar yet went up to fight RDA then fought Diaz,you couldnt make it up usually fight week we see this kinda of stuff posted ROFL.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gamebred wrote: »
    McGregor afraid of frankie edgar yet went up to fight RDA then fought Diaz,you couldnt make it up usually fight week we see this kinda of stuff posted ROFL.

Neither of those are wrestlers. I think you're taking that guys point out of context.

Not saying it's true but Conor would get absolutely wrestle fucked by Frankie

Neither of those are wrestlers. I think you're taking that guys point out of context.

Not saying it's true but Conor would get absolutely wrestle fucked by Frankie

In your opinion of course,In my opinion he would light frankie on fire and leave him unconcious,RDA is twice the fighter Edgar is,a hard hitter and better grappler,of course thats just my guess on how it'd go but anyone saying hes afraid of a wrestler is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

He's not afraid of fighting anyone FFS. If he was, why would he be challenging the guy who just beat him at the same weight class (more favourable to Diaz). He's just going for the big money fight and to try to avenge a loss. That is all there is to it!

In your opinion of course,In my opinion he would light frankie on fire and leave him unconcious,RDA is twice the fighter Edgar is,a hard hitter and better grappler,of course thats just my guess on how it'd go but anyone saying hes afraid of a wrestler is hilarious.

The guy who has been in some serious wars, eaten a shít ton of punches, even an upkick from Henderson that would have knocked out a baby elephant, never been knocked out.. that's the guy who's going to get knocked out?

I'm not saying Conor is afraid of anyone if anybody here thinks that.

Conor would most likely win against Frankie but I think that it's probably his worst match-up and have been saying that for a very long time.

The guy who has been in some serious wars, eaten a shít ton of punches, even an upkick from Henderson that would have knocked out a baby elephant, never been knocked out.. that's the guy who's going to get knocked out?

I'm not saying Conor is afraid of anyone if anybody here thinks that.

Conor would most likely win against Frankie but I think that it's probably his worst match-up and have been saying that for a very long time.

Same way Aldo had never been ko'd right?

Edgar has very good boxing but Conor at 145 is just levels about anyone imo,Frankie has been on queer street before hes not that elusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Jesus you're hard on for mcgregor knows no bounds.

Edgar is next in line. Yet mc gregor would rather go up two weight classes and fight someone who easily dispatched him already.

Afraid is the wrong word. Smart is better. Smart enough to know edgar can do what mendes done in round 1 but not gas and do it for five
    Smart enough to know his cardio is unproven unlike frankie

Mcgregor is going to make a lot of money regsrdless who he fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jesus you're hard on for mcgregor knows no bounds.

Edgar is next in line. Yet mc gregor would rather go up two weight classes and fight someone who easily dispatched him already.

Afraid is the wrong word. Smart is better. Smart enough to know edgar can do what mendes done in round 1 but not gas and do it for five
    Smart enough to know his cardio is unproven unlike frankie

Mcgregor is going to make a lot of money regsrdless who he fights.
    Or maybe he doesn't fancy the cut this time. We've all seen how he looks at those weigh ins, a heroin addict looks healthier.
    No doubt it's a brutal cut for him.

I think it should be Frankie next as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

This thread is funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Fight doesn't make sense from a allowing this fight to happen at 170 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ASOT wrote: »
    This thread is funny :)

Best part is this could all fit into the McGregor thread. No idea why this has a thread of its own.

Same way Aldo had never been ko'd right?

Edgar has very good boxing but Conor at 145 is just levels about anyone imo,Frankie has been on queer street before hes not that elusive.

Aldo had one loss on his record at the time, Frankie had way more. They're not comparable.

I actually didn't' mention the point of Aldo as I didn't think it was necessary.

• Advertisement

Frankie pulls pathetic numbers Ive posted them before hes a free tv fighter nobody cares about him why should he bother his arse cutting weight for a smaller pay cheque?

You seem to be ignorant to the fact hes a prize fighter in a sports entertainment company,Im sure he gives a rats ass about what someone on an interforum thinks of him not fighting Edgar,remember legacy wont pay his bills for the next 40 years,big fights will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement