Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 200 Jones vs Cormier 2

Options
  • 19-03-2016 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

This is gathering pace on the interwebz - Surely not? I actually dont believe it as you cannot have Conor keeping the featherweight title unchallenged for another year!

McGregor V Diaz 2 UFC 200 - What you guys think?

Sherdog.com ‏@sherdogdotcom 59m59 minutes ago
    Report: Nate Diaz-Conor McGregor Rematch Targeted for UFC 200 Headliner http://bit.ly/1Wwo6y5

AtTheBuzzerVerified account ‏@TheBuzzerOnFOX 2h2 hours ago
    Sounds like a Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rematch is happening at #UFC200!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's pretty clear he doesn't want to put his body through the virtual killing of himself to make 145lbs ever again. Relinquish that title from him and leave him do as he wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

He wishes to hold both the 145 and 155 titles - I would have at least thouht he defends the featherweight belt and goes after RDA - Although RDA V Robbie lawlor is on the cards now too it seems!

I'd love to see Aldo vs Edgar as well a McGregor vs Diaz at UFC 200. McGregor would then have to defend the 145 or vacate if he doesn't fight the winner.
    There's plenty who will argue (portably rightly so) that McGregor should be defending the 145 in his next fight but he won't be forced vacate it yet, especially since Edgar and Aldo were both unavailable to step up at 196.
    Either way, from the amount of areas that have been taking about it, it looks like McGregor vs Diaz II is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I bet on diaz last time - not sure what way I will swing this time, (if it happens) Diaz with a full camp!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I like Conor and all but this is a stupid rematch to make. I hate the UFC's culture of instant rematches particularly when the last fight wasn't even that close.

What is there to prove by going down this route other than financial gain for the UFC.

I was excited the first time but I have no desire to watch this fight again especially as it'll be only 4 months removed if they go for it at 200.

Shortsighted on the matchmaking side of the UFC considering the fights available at UFC 197/198/199

Seems like they've run out of ideas unless they're keeping a few surprises under wraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Bad move for Conor. He looked really ordinary against Nate last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Unless he has some game plan, i don't know why he's taking this on. He knows he doesn't have the power to stop Diaz advancing so how else is he going to beat a bigger man. Very surprised he hasn't insisted on this fight at 155 or took on somebody else at 155. As has been said before, it is looking more and more likely that he can't or won't make 145 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Terrible fight for Conor and the UFC as a whole.

Nate will slap the head off of Conor whether it's at 155, 170 or a whatever.

Conor needs to either sh*t or get off the pot in regards to the 145 belt, it he's not willing to defend it, he needs to vacate it. His next fight should be against Frankie, fighting at a higher weight class is him on a hiding to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creeper1

Someone please tell me this isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Terrible match-up. McGregor will become a laughing stock when he loses. He doesn't have the tools to beat Diaz.

Oh how the times have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Two mouthpieces fighting one another seems to be the order of the day now within the UFC. Defending or belts in general even has gone down the pecking order.

That 145 belt should be defended at UFC 200. There's two excellent fighters there ready to put on what would be an intriguing fight against McGregor. A fight genuine MMA fans would love to see. Not one that'll pull in the hoards of Bieber and whatever other celebrity that tweets a thing or two about McGregor and Diaz, fans for the night and the night only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Terrible fight for Conor and the UFC as a whole.

Nate will slap the head off of Conor whether it's at 155, 170 or a whatever.

Conor needs to either sh*t or get off the pot in regards to the 145 belt, it he's not willing to defend it, he needs to vacate it. His next fight should be against Frankie, fighting at a higher weight class is him on a hiding to nothing.

Angry angry young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ardinn wrote: »
    Although RDA V Robbie lawlor is on the cards now too it seems!

Ooh I'd like that one. I wonder if there's any truth in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Remember when there used to be weight classes?

Tigger wrote: »
    Remember when there used to be weight classes?

Quiet you with your common sense and sportsmanship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martinbe

It’s going to make everybody involved loads of money and that’s what the UFC and the two fighters care about. I think all the fans want the Edgar fight, but the UFC must think a McGregor v Diaz fight will pull in more PPV.

I think McGregor can beat him but he will have to be allot smarter and not just go for the big knock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thought the mock up poster said Diaz v McGregor II

Looks weird having Conor on the A side when he is trying to avenge a defeat, seems to be just a matter of time before this **** is announced.

Will be a good fight and one I will look forward to, still makes a mockery of the UFC as a "serious" organisation, but ce la vie.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

martinbe wrote: »
    It’s going to make everybody involved loads of money and that’s what the UFC and the two fighters care about. I think all the fans want the Edgar fight, but the UFC must think a McGregor v Diaz fight will pull in more PPV.

I think McGregor can beat him but he will have to be allot smarter and not just go for the big knock out.

What happens if McGregor does beat him?

Do they go for the third fight :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What is McGregor trying to accomplish fighting at 170? His last fight has proven this is not a long term prospect for him. Robbie Lawlar would eat him alive. Why not fight at 155lbs? Surely he’s eyeing a title fight against RDA. So why not get as much experience as he can at 155.

The FW belt is just there as an insurance in case he loses against Diaz again and still has belt to defend. Thus making another big pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's a bit of a bizarre move from anything other than a pride perspective. I don't think Connor needs to fight Diaz, the only reason I can see behind it is that he didn't like losing and thinks he didn't give the fight the respect it deserved. Maybe he see's fighters like Diaz as his achilles heel and wants to find a way of winning against guys like diaz without putting his belt on the line. If he can find a way to beat Diaz it would probably help him against Edgar in a title fight.

• Advertisement

I'm refusing to accept that this fight is actually going to happen.

Conor will fight Diaz again, but at 155, right now, at 170, it's completely the wrong fight for him.

He should be going after someone like Cowboy or Petis at 155 if he's determined to fight above 145, but in reality he should be fighting Frankie next or vacating his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Wouldn't be surprised if it was just the UFC putting the feelers out to see what kind of reaction it gets on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Latest from Helwani
    Says that reports of only a verbal agreement are not true, contracts have actually been issued.
    Fight is happening at 170 because McGregor is a "wildman". He is obsessed that he lost to Nate at 170 and feels he should have won, wants the same rules as the first fight.
    Reports that the fight as of yet is unconfirmed and still just a rumour are not true. When he says "in the works and targeted" the only reason he isn't saying it's official is because he has enough respect for the UFC to let them officially announce it. All parties involved want this fight.
    Official announcement expected this week.

I think this is what those in the Gambling world refer to as chasing your losses. Fking insane.
    Which Belt-Holders are going to want to fight on the undercard at 200? Let alone 2?

Edit: i will be shelling out though. But I can see how long term/serious fans/Current Champions and FW Challengers think this is a joke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Hes a genius,he loses this hes in the exact same spot hes in now,has the weight excuse and still have the belt,sure might lose some ppv pull but people will tune in when he fights back at his own weight,its all about the money for him now thats very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Gamebred wrote: »
    Hes a genius,he loses this hes in the exact same spot hes in now,has the weight excuse and still have the belt,sure might lose some ppv pull but people will tune in when he fights back at his own weight,its all about the money for him now thats very clear.

Surely he has to vacate? I think Kavanagh was serious when he said he didnt want him doing that cut again after Aldo fight. If this fight is announce it surely confirms he just doesnt have that cut in him again?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Latest from Helwani
    Says that reports of only a verbal agreement are not true, contracts have actually been issued.
    Fight is happening at 170 because McGregor is a "wildman". He is obsessed that he lost to Nate at 170 and feels he should have won, wants the same rules as the first fight.
    Reports that the fight as of yet is unconfirmed and still just a rumour are not true. When he says "in the works and targeted" the only reason he isn't saying it's official is because he has enough respect for the UFC to let them officially announce it. All parties involved want this fight.
    Official announcement expected this week.

I think this is what those in the Gambling world refer to as chasing your losses. Fking insane.
    Which Belt-Holders are going to want to fight on the undercard at 200? Let alone 2?

Edit: i will be shelling out though. But I can see how long term/serious fans/Current Champions and FW Challengers think this is a joke

If McGregor really feels he should have won then he looks like an idiot. Diaz clocked him one and McGregor was gone from there. With that logic, you could say Mendes and Aldo should have beaten McGregor as well.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Mendes or Aldo should have won.

Faugheen wrote: »
    If McGregor really feels he should have won then he looks like an idiot. Diaz clocked him one and McGregor was gone from there. With that logic, you could say Mendes and Aldo should have beaten McGregor as well.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying Mendes or Aldo should have won.

It would appear he honestly believed he fluffed the fight, underestimated Nate, and overestimated his ability KO Nate. With a different game plan, he must feel he can win the fight, & maybe he can - Nate, despite being a tough cookie, is beatable - hell, they're all beatable with the right plan, approach, and pinch of fortune. Maybe it is a pride thing now, but he needs to be careful about not letting it cloud his judgement on the night, if the fight indeed goes ahead. Conor's a smart fighter though, I think his loss to Nate was a lesson for him, but I think he can beat Nate given the right approach. It won't be a headline knockout finish, it'd be a points decision, but that might be enough to soothe his dented pride, & move on from there. If he loses it though, it'll feel ten times worse than the current loss did, & that's why I'm not yet convinced it's a good idea to go straight back in.

I think a successful title defence at 145, would put him in the right head space to take this challenge on. Though maybe going from 145 to 170 in between fights was a factor in his loss, & maybe staying at 170 now would benefit him? I honestly don't know enough about it all to say with any degree of certainty, but I think Conor is a smart guy, he knows what he's at, & obviously feels he can get the job done here.

I can see why many are upset that the FW belt is getting dusty though, it doesn't seem fair to make others wait, in order to fulfil what is in essence a grudge match. If Conor's shot at a belt was being held up because the champ was off on a quest in other weight classes I know I'd be giving out about it, so yeah, I can see why there is upset over it. It is all money though at the moment, & exposure for the UFC. Being a business, they're simply exploiting something that's working well for them...not much that can be done about it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

So if this fight does happen, will it be main? co-main? Arguments for both I guess. Would be intriguing if it wasn't the main event though, simply because it would only be 3 rounds. Can't imagine many title holders would be best pleased to be knocked down the card for a non title fight.

All speculation of course, until its announced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Cluiche iascairi

The belt is far from dusty lads. He won it 4 months ago. He could still defend it before the years out

• Advertisement

The belt is far from dusty lads. He won it 4 months ago. He could still defend it before the years out

Not defending a belt because you're injured is one thing, not defending a belt but taking two other fights in the meantime is completely different. If this was someone else and McGregor was waiting for a shot this place would be in meltdown with fanboys crying over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement