Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 200 Jones vs Cormier 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wasting your time lad.

x1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ted1 wrote: »
    Diaz beat him because he wasn't prepared , he hadn't being hit by a big lad before and that's probably his camps fault , he must feel that he can train hard and get used to getting hit hard and be more effective with his gloves and feet.

I've never read such absolute drivel. No fighter can train his chin to take a punch. Diaz wobbled him and he sh@t it, no amount of training prevents that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ted1 wrote: »
    Full camp , but it wasn't the correct camp, he didn't expect what he got. This time he'll be better prepared.

The other two want the money , Hie much has Aldo made in all his years compared to McGregory?

According to the man himself, he doesn't train for any specific fighter, he trains to fight his own fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

I dont know if a rematch is a wise choice for McGregor camp, ok he didnt do too bad in the first round but totally gassed himself going for the haymaker knockdown, come the second he was completely gassed held his hands low got rocked and it was fight over at that stage in his head imo, he just didnt seem fit to defend from an array of diaz punches with him even being a boxer and diaz can go all day throwing them so he was always going to get clipped

Imo he would need to up the cardio training alot and focus winning the fight over 5 rounds and forget the knockout against Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

According to the man himself, he doesn't train for any specific fighter, he trains to fight his own fight.

He contradicts himself on that point, as he often mentions how he analyses their movement and studies their patterns. I would imagine that is the real situation, as I don't see how it could be any other way when there's so much money at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The belt is far from dusty lads. He won it 4 months ago. He could still defend it before the years out

Not defending a belt because you're injured is one thing, not defending a belt but taking two other fights in the meantime is completely different. If this was someone else and McGregor was waiting for a shot this place would be in meltdown with fanboys crying over it.
    Nah - Aldo defended it, maybe, once a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did you even read what he said?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Amazing how everybody cares about 145 belt all of a sudden,nobody gave a rats ass about it until Conor came along the division was stale,now people are crying because he won it 4 months ago and isnt defending it gotta laugh.

RDA
    Tox56 wrote: »
    It's going to turn into Conor spamming lead lefts again, Diaz rolling with them and then catching Conor every single time he feels like it with combos.

Diaz didn't just out box Conor either, he was able to throw him against the cage and land heavy knees with little real resistance in both rounds as well.

All this talk of Conor acting as a counter puncher against Diaz or taking out his lead leg. It's fantasy stuff, he will be beat again, and in similar fashion.

McGregor taking out Diaz's lead leg isnt fantasy stuff, its exactly how fighters have got to Diaz before and its a strategy McGregor absolutely can and should use. He had some success with it even in the first fight.

http://gfycat.com/LawfulZealousHoneyeater

Saying Diaz caught McGregor with combos "every single time he felt like it" is fantasy. McGregor won the first round ffs. Acting like McGregor has 0 chance whatsoever in a rematch is as naive as the people who thought McGregor was going to walk through Diaz in the first fight
    RDA absolutely destroyed Diaz's front leg when he dolly-ragged Diaz - While Conor has good sharp leg kicks to the liver - when RDA kicked Diaz's legs they were going up in the air - I don't think Conor has that type of power in his kicks - certainly has it his hands moreso than RDA - who can hit - but, not like McGregor. Diaz's face didn't look like the Butcher's block it did during his fight with McGregor.

I can see McGregor beating Diaz at 170 - wouldn't surprise me. I'd like to see him beat RDA - can't see McGregor winning it though...unless he gets inside his head like he did to Aldo. I think RDA is a different machine though

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    darced;99157978The Diaz fight exposed too many holes in Conors game for me to believe that he would beat Aldo again.
    Something was either badly wrong in the Diaz fight or he is not the fighter I thought he was. His cardio,chin,heart(compared to other fighters), and grappling all have major doubts now.

If he does a number on Diaz in the rematch then the defeat can be a small bump in the road and its as you were but if Diaz finishes him again then I see him losing to Aldo and Frankie if he goes back to FW.

Take a look at Conor vs Mendes for example, look how fit he was despite being on his back for much of the fight. He jumped straight back up and kicked the body off of Mendes. He was seriously fit.

He is just not used to 170 yet. Give him time. This fight will be much different. I think Conor will batter him this time if he is more patient and is fitter.
    That's very true - he wil be spending a lot more time at 170 - adjusting to the demands of being fit at 170. He will be more comfortable...

• Advertisement

Did you even read what he said?
    Sure did.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

pgj2015 wrote: »
    conor made the excuse to his mother then she made it to the guys on the plane.

Face palm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Difference being fights were cancelled because of injuries, and on average he defended over twice per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sure did.

So you just missed the point then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

pgj2015 wrote: »
    conor made the excuse to his mother then she made it to the guys on the plane.

grasping-at-straws.jpg

Swashbuckler;99161972
    Sure did.

So you just missed the point then.

Sure didn't.

Still plenty of time for McGregor to defend it - twice this year. But, he'd be mad to, It's easier to generate more eyes and bucks in the others divisions. There are better fights at 155 and 170. Once a year is enough for him to defend that ****ty division - unless, lads who are crowd draws emerge. As McGregor said Aldo, Frankie, and Holloway should fight it out before fighting him...
    Aldo fought once in 2012 and 2015. But, he did fight once every six months in the other years? And, he still couldn't make anything out of the division or sell himself to the UFC audience or to the average sporting punter. Great fighter in his day - superb pound for pound number 1 - a machine in his day - but, dead as a doornail in terms of charisma and showmanship. Not an Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, Couture, Iceman, or GSP type...
    Aldo dosen't draw, Frankie doesn't draw. McGregor draws more than anyone in the UFC. If he made over 10 million for the Diaz fight - he could probably get 20 if he fought GSP. Any appeals from Frankie or Aldo of injustice would be met with pseudo-pity and derision from the UFC.

it just makes sense for the UFC and McGregor to fight draw fights. To talk of defending belts against ableit excellent fighters but dead draws is naive - that's not the fight game, never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Difference being fights were cancelled because of injuries, and on average he defended over twice per year.

I'd be pretty sure that last bit isn't correct.

Edit: In 5 years, 2011-1015, he had 8 fights. That only 1.6 times a year, nowhere near over twice a year.
    He fought once or twice every year. With two gaps of over a year (11, and 12 months).

When is on the sidelines longer than other champs people can complain, but 6-12 months is about the average time for champs. There's not a lot left in 145, I'm not sure why people are in a hurry to completely clear the division. Or maybe it's a hurry to see Aldo lose

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure that last bit isn't correct.

Oh but it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh but it is.

Did you see my edit above. It's not. He defended 8 times in 5 years, nowhere near over twice a year.

Did you see my edit above. It's not. He defended 8 times in 5 years, nowhere near over twice a year.

He was champion for close to ten years though.

I think you misread his point...:angel:

I also pointed out - above - that he fought only once in 2012 and 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

no , undefeated for 10 years

ufc champ bout 5 years and ecw for a year

I also pointed out - above - that he fought only once in 2012 and 2015.

And I pointed out that not fighting because you're injured is a lot different than taking fights against people in other weight classes because your ego wants to go along with Dana and his WWF bollocks.

Injured or avoiding drug testing? Injured or embarrassed because you've failed to learn english (unlike Silva)? Injured or avoiding fights because you're not ready? Dana White is a huge part of making the UFC what it is? There's is much more ambition and excitement about going outside your division and fightng bigger guys? Yes? RDA pulled - can't blame RDA, Dana, or McGregor for that? Aldo pulled? Frankie pulled? Diaz complained - McGregor said 170 so... simples. Dana doing a great job as is McGregor - the cheques don't lie! All great fighters go outside their weight class - it's as old as the hills and quite the norm in boxing (Dana White's sport)- nothing to do with WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Conor hasn't defended his belt yet and I don't think he has any interest in defending it. He wants big fights big money. I assume he's gonna try bulk up this time for 170lbs can't see him getting back down to 145 if he puts on extra muscle weight

• Advertisement

"darced;99162833Does everyone realize that if Conor fights Nate at 200 he wont be defending his FW belt until September at the earliest or later if he gets medically suspended which is a distinct possibility.

We are looking at the belt going uncontested for at least 10 months with a fit and healthy champion. I do have a feeling he will vacate the belt once Diaz is announced, he can always go back down to fight for it again."

It's hardly a big deal - McGregor's already annihilated the guy who was beating everyone for ten years. I'm all for rematches - 13 seconds doesn't merit one - 8 years of being at the top? Okay. But, he got an opportunity to step up and Aldo didn't. Neither did Frankie.

Much more money and prestige to be made elsewhere. I would give McGregor more credit for fighting five times at 170 and losing against top class bigger men than murking dudes at 145 - which he has already proven he can do.
    The best young guy at 145 is Holloway who McGregor beat on one leg...
    I don't see the fascination with the boring 145 division - the only thing exciting about 145 is when Mcgregor is in it. I don't want to see Frankie and Aldo fight - I've already seen it - Frankie is not as good - but that was before the new drug testing rules - so, it might be different if restaged...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement