Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After the past couple years of will I/Won't I, I decided I may as well get the PSVR and regret it later, if at all.
    I'm guessing it'll be trial and error getting set up and sorting out cables and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

CastorTroy wrote: »
    After the past couple years of will I/Won't I, I decided I may as well get the PSVR and regret it later, if at all.
    I'm guessing it'll be trial and error getting set up and sorting out cables and all.

Oh you won’t regret it, look forward to seeing what your first impressions are :) Don’t worry too much about the setup, only tricky part of that is the cables etc and once that’s done everything else is visualised through the PS4 anyway (what area of the room the camera can see including you, tracking light calibrations etc).

There is also an eye distance calibration (you might not need to use this at all but if are finding focus or resolution slightly off in one of the lens, this can sort it fairly quickly).

Oh and if you wear glasses DO NOT close the goggles completely to your face, the lens scratch very very easily in the headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I know it's an old one but everyone needs to play Batman VR

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

**** it, gonna go for the Megapack tomorrow. If it comes to it, I'll sell it and put cash towards PS5.

I have added a bunch of vr games on the watchlist on psprices.com to let me know as soon as any go on sale. I forgot the was a batman vr, feel like there's a good lot of games i need to catch up on.

Then have 4 or 5 games that we got with Plus.

Thinking I mightn't need my glasses since it's directly in front of my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Then have 4 or 5 games that we got with Plus.

Thinking I mightn't need my glasses since it's directly in front of my eyes

You still do. Still need your depth perception. Same as not wearing them in real life.

Also, Iron Man VR. What a game its going to be. Just played the demo and it does a fantastic job of making you feel like Iron Man. Hoping they have a smooth turn option on the full release. Will be a blast to play once you're used to the controls. This is now on my wishlist!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You still do. Still need your depth perception. Same as not wearing them in real life.

Also, Iron Man VR. What a game its going to be. Just played the demo and it does a fantastic job of making you feel like Iron Man. Hoping they have a smooth turn option on the full release. Will be a blast to play once you're used to the controls. This is now on my wishlist!

I played it without using turning buttons and just turned around 360 degrees while keeping arms extended or to the side.

Never lost tracking once.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mrcheez wrote: »
    I played it without using turning buttons and just turned around 360 degrees while keeping arms extended or to the side.

Never lost tracking once.

I would love to, but I'm slightly restricted for room right now. A smooth turn option would be good, or increase the sensitivity of the turn when you're looking fully left/right. That's what I was mainly using, so improving that could take the turn buttons out completely. Maybe have a single button to look instead of turning.

I'm liking where this is going though. VR seems to be getting a surge of games lately, and I think the next gen will really get the ball rolling. Only a matter of time before the headset is a pair of glasses, or something like Gamer or Ready Player One. Yurt!

I saw Hackers when i was about 14, still in my top 5 films of all time. I remember watching the VR scene and thinking wow! that's gonna be a possibility one day and then brushing it off as fancy sci fi.

I can't wait to recreate this.

giphy.gif

Sale is live on Smyths. Free click and collect

VR starter pack - 200
    VR Megapack - 230
    Blood and truth - 18
    Astrobot - 20

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

VR starter pack - 200
    VR Megapack - 230
    Blood and truth - 18
    Astrobot - 20

Astrobot is an absolute must have :) So is Blood & Truth but you will be blown away by it a bit more if you can get your hands on some move controllers before lashing in to it.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Astrobot is an absolute must have :) So is Blood & Truth but you will be blown away by it a bit more if you can get your hands on some move controllers before lashing in to it.

Yeah hear that alright, gonna wait until the sticks arrive in July before getting Blood and Truth, play it properly :) I was watching a video last night of someone playing Resi 7 in VR. Jaysus, I love horror but that's gonna be something else.

Yeah hear that alright, gonna wait until the sticks arrive in July before getting Blood and Truth, play it properly :) I was watching a video last night of someone playing Resi 7 in VR. Jaysus, I love horror but that's gonna be something else.

Yeah Resi 7 in VR brings a whole new meaning to horror, then you have games like The Exorcist and Paranormal Activity that are somewhere up the top of the pants ****ting scale along with it :D

Yeah Resi 7 in VR brings a whole new meaning to horror, then you have games like The Exorcist and Paranormal Activity that are somewhere up the top of the pants ****ting scale along with it :D

Wait wait wait.... There's a psvr game for both paranormal activity and the exorcist??!! Oh man, i have some catching up to do!

Out of everything though, saints and sinners is my most wanted.

Wait wait wait.... There's a psvr game for both paranormal activity and the exorcist??!! Oh man, i have some catching up to do!

Yep :D Paranormal Activity is a full end to game, Exorcist is a full title as well but it’s broken in to 5 chapters - I got to chapter 3 before I noped out haha.

Gonna pick up saints and sinners as well when I get a chance, it looks unreal.

VR is basically like getting a new console to play, tons of games and content there to keep you going for a long time. First title I played was Astrobot when I got mine and it was like the first time ever picking up a controller again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm envious of how much good stuff you have to look forward to!

Be warned though, your backlog will grow exponentially as a lot of good stuff is now old enough to warrant really good discounts.

Also grab Polybius, it's a mind-job. Seriously it's one of my most-played games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm envious of how much good stuff you have to look forward to!

Be warned though, your backlog will grow exponentially as a lot of good stuff is now old enough to warrant really good discounts.

Also grab Polybius, it's a mind-job. Seriously it's one of my most-played games.

I'd second Polybius. Also Thumper and Headmaster would be my other hidden gems.

The better known games I'd recommend:
    Astrobot
    Blood n Truth
    Beat Saber
    Super hot
    Wipeout
    Moss
    Trover
    Saints n Sinners
    Box VR

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

VR starter pack - 200
    VR Megapack - 230
    Blood and truth - 18
    Astrobot - 20

Im thinking of getting one but am a bit lost on it. .

Is there different VR headsets for the PS4 or are they all the same ? I see different prices on Amazon (version 1/2) that dont appear to have anything different.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLAYSTATION-VR-BRILLE-RESIDENT-EVERYBODYS-CUH-ZVR2/dp/B07YGJGFZC/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?crid=1Z6XI2XPNXHX7&cv_ct_cx=playstation+vr&dchild=1&keywords=playstation+vr&pd_rd_i=B07YGJGFZC&pd_rd_r=63d9dc0c-4487-425b-a3c7-98f68626c8b8&pd_rd_w=qqMH5&pd_rd_wg=x3pyf&pf_rd_p=d9b87ec0-c7c2-464c-b8a6-2e7b5576127a&pf_rd_r=PTTMG6X9PG9626VGXVPT&psc=1&qid=1590408511&refinements=p_72%3A184318031&rnid=1025616&s=videogames&sprefix=playstation+vr%2Cvideogames%2C125&sr=1-2-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-VR-Mega-Pack-PS4/dp/B07XYCQX58/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?crid=1Z6XI2XPNXHX7&cv_ct_cx=playstation+vr&dchild=1&keywords=playstation+vr&pd_rd_i=B07XYCQX58&pd_rd_r=63d9dc0c-4487-425b-a3c7-98f68626c8b8&pd_rd_w=qqMH5&pd_rd_wg=x3pyf&pf_rd_p=d9b87ec0-c7c2-464c-b8a6-2e7b5576127a&pf_rd_r=PTTMG6X9PG9626VGXVPT&psc=1&qid=1590408511&refinements=p_72%3A184318031&rnid=1025616&s=videogames&sprefix=playstation+vr%2Cvideogames%2C125&sr=1-1-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2

Also, what controllers do you need ? ( I appreciate different games need different controllers but is there one that works on most games ?)

Can you play normal games (like Fifa) using the headset or is it only VR games ?

Can it be used to watch movies ? (I think you can if its DVDs on PS4, but can you watch movies from a hard drive attached to your TV? Just curious of the non VR stuff (like watching a movie or playing non VR game).

Drumpot wrote: »

Version 2 is the latest model, definitely the one you want to go for.
    Also, what controllers do you need ? ( I appreciate different games need different controllers but is there one that works on most games ?)

Dualshock is usable on quite a few, some games will only work with Move Controllers, and then others are designed specifically for the AIM controller (there's not a big amount of titles that are AIM only though).
    Can you play normal games (like Fifa) using the headset or is it only VR games ?
    Yes you can - it's like sitting in a cinema on your own playing on a massive screen. Small drop in quality compared to flat screen TV but nothing massive.
    Can it be used to watch movies ? (I think you can if its DVDs on PS4, but can you watch movies from a hard drive attached to your TV? Just curious of the non VR stuff (like watching a movie or playing non VR game).

Yep, also 3d Blu Rays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Have ordered this now from smyths along with the Iron man VR and blood and truth.

Have Resi 7 already played it on the tele, dunno if I would be able for the vr of that knowing the story.

Looking to get maybe Beat saber and saints and sinners?

Any other worthwhile big names I should look at getting?

• Advertisement

Well got mine. Will try and get it set up and a quick go tonight.
    Must be more likely to forget to go to bed when you can't see a clock?

Have ordered this now from smyths along with the Iron man VR and blood and truth.

Have Resi 7 already played it on the tele, dunno if I would be able for the vr of that knowing the story.

Looking to get maybe Beat saber and saints and sinners?

Any other worthwhile big names I should look at getting?

Loads :D

Creed
    Astrobot
    Firewall Zero Hour
    Box VR
    Wipeout Collection
    Gorn
    Doom
    I Expect You To Die
    L.A Noire VR
    Exorcist VR
    Paranormal Activity
    Star Trek Bridge Crew

Just a few of the one's I've enjoyed so far.

There's more niche titles like Fishermans Tale or Ghost Giant that you might like as well. That's the cool thing about VR, you'll find stuff on the store and go "ooh I'll give that a go" and you end up enjoying it. I wouldn't even look twice at a game like Ghost Giant if it was just flat screen games I was looking for :D

Well got mine. Will try and get it set up and a quick go tonight.
    Must be more likely to forget to go to bed when you can't see a clock?

Yeah easy to lose track of time (just remember to check the quick menu every so often if you need to stick to a bed time!). I've had too many nights with Firewall where I take the headset off and the ****in sun is coming up outside :D

I believe Wipeout Collection was part of Plus.

Yep the VR in that is class, would recommend you get your "legs" first before trying it though (your brain needs a small adjustment period for VR or you will end up getting motion sick :D). Try something chilled out like Astrobot or the stuff in VR Worlds before you dive in to the deep end and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Loads :D

Creed
    Astrobot
    Firewall Zero Hour
    Box VR
    Wipeout Collection
    Gorn
    Doom
    I Expect You To Die
    L.A Noire VR
    Exorcist VR
    Paranormal Activity
    Star Trek Bridge Crew

Just a few of the one's I've enjoyed so far.

There's more niche titles like Fishermans Tale or Ghost Giant that you might like as well. That's the cool thing about VR, you'll find stuff on the store and go "ooh I'll give that a go" and you end up enjoying it. I wouldn't even look twice at a game like Ghost Giant if it was just flat screen games I was looking for :D

Cheers, just looked up creed looks great. Astrobot came with the megapack I think.

I am also after ordering some rubber bumpers for the headset as I wear glasses, are the lenses prone to scratches? or is that just rumour mill a la the internet?

Is that VR?

Any way to tell what games in my library are VR?

Is that VR?

Any way to tell what games in my library are VR?

Yeah Wipeout is in VR, it’s an unreal experience. I think once you plug in the VR filter box to PS it will highlight any games that have a VR mode (it’s a headset symbol under them).

You’ll also get an option of Youtube VR version alongside the normal one, but it only appears when you have everything connected.

Ooohh Spider-man Homecoming VR, definitely gonna try that.

• Advertisement

Also for those of you might have kids to entertain, the free VR Playroom is worth picking up as well.

A lot of the games on it involve one person in the headset, while other players control action from the tv screen with controllers. For example one of them has the VR headset player as a cat hiding behind a curtain in the kitchen (you just move your head forward or back to hide or pop out), while the non VR players are mice trying to grab cheese before he comes out to eat them :D

Advertisement