Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

FR103 now holding at Shannon. Visibility expected to improve shorty

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

RVRs look steady below 300m again, next flight due in in about 40-50mins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I see there is an Aer Lingus flights arriving in Dublin right now from Frankfurt Hahn, did the original flight divert? was the weather in Frankfurt

The callsign with the prefix 2xxx means extra flight/charter doesn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The callsign with the prefix 2xxx means extra flight/charter doesn't it?

Interesting, thanks for the info! So it's a planned charter then, to Hahn...interesting. Thought it may have been the regular FRA flight that diverted. Would have been fairly bad luck considering there was a diversion to Gatwick today on the Verona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Empty flight (think), flew to HHN a month ago (on ground since), assume it's some form of aircraft maintenance?

FR805 holding at knock due to fog. They can hold for an hour before diverting

FR1742 also going into the hold at knock. FR805 diverting to Shannon in next 15 minutes if no improvement in weather

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

FR805 holding at knock due to fog. They can hold for an hour before diverting

SNN bound now

East Midlands still holding, Luton inbound in about 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

VY1381 squawking 7700 over the Pyrynees en route to Alicante from Edinburgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Is calibrated altitude what height they are actually flying at when one clicks on the flight?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The transponder sends the height, and it has a fixed pressure setting of 1013 millibars (or hectopascals, before some rule zealot jumps in), which relates to flight levels. The actual height of the aircraft will then depend on if the actual pressure at sea level is above or below 1013.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

or hectopascals, before some rule zealot jumps in
    If we were zealots, we would correct you and tell you that its 1013.25 :angel::angel:

smurfjed wrote: »
    If we were zealots, we would correct you and tell you that its 1013.25 :angel::angel:

TWO decimal places? Jeez, almost as bad as the days of exams and the number of decimals of a kilo when doing weight conversions :D:D. I did actually wonder as I was about to hit Enter if I should go back up and put the .2 in.

I'll let you away with that................. The rest I leave to your imagination;)

I trained with Dennis Slattery so there are some numbers that i still remember such as 2.204622622 lbs per kg! He always tried to emphasise the need to be extremely precise, although now days when i fly with people who attempt to set 1013.25 in a setting window without decimal places, i just shake my head and look out the window dreaming of the day when i can fly an aircraft within 7feet of its assigned level :)

I trained with Dennis Slattery so there are some numbers that i still remember such as 2.204622622 lbs per kg! He always tried to emphasise the need to be extremely precise, although now days when i fly with people who attempt to set 1013.25 in a setting window without decimal places, i just shake my head and look out the window dreaming of the day when i can fly an aircraft within 7feet of its assigned level :)

Ohhh, they were the days. Not surprised you mention that figure, I can remember one day at ALSAA when Dennis threw his toys out of the pram over a student suggesting he should use using 2.2 to convert a figure.

Dennis did a few revision classes at his house, and for a bit of fun, it was a very important issue to synchronise watches the night before, and then make sure we arrived at the house so that we could ring the doorbell at +/- 0.5 seconds to the scheduled time. There were certain things that he used to get very up tight about, conversions and times being the most memorable.

The team that Dennis had to do the classes were good people, I learned a lot from them that has stood me in good stead over a long period of time. I still see Alan, who did the Tech Type training on a regular basis, we fly model helicopters together.

Things have changed very significantly now, I wonder how many modern pilots even know what a Decca Navigator system is, let alone the errors it was prone to, and I'm pretty sure that some of the specifics about VOR's and the like are no longer in the syllabus to the degree that they used to be, in the same vein, there was equipment in the modern jets that was never even discussed in the ATPL exams, and most people were only dreaming about the potential for GPS at that time.

In the same vein, and in some respects, slightly more on topic, the ability of the modern systems to predict an arrival time before departure that is sometimes 12 or more hours forward, and turns out to be accurate to less than 2 minutes is very thought provoking, when I consider it wasn't that many years ago that flights from Shannon to the East Coast were not sure they were going to get there that day, and "point of no return" was a critical and essential planning calculation. I wonder if anyone actually does a PNR calculation these days, given the range of the modern equipment.

For sure, times have changed;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

The transponder sends the height *pressure altitude*, and it has a fixed pressure setting of 1013 millibars (or hectopascals, before some rule zealot jumps in), which relates to flight levels. The actual height *true altitude* of the aircraft will then depend on if the actual pressure at sea level is above or below 1013 *and temperature deviation from ISA*

#NotAZealot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

although now days when i fly with people who attempt to set 1013.25 in a setting window without decimal places, i just shake my head and look out the window dreaming of the day when i can fly an aircraft within 7feet of its assigned level :)

:D:D

btw doesn't ADC of a 777 (or whatever it is that you fly these days?) automatically use 1013.25 when you push "Std" on the altimeter knob?

selects standard barometric setting (29.92 inches Hg/1013 HPA)
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Times}
    This is from the B777 FCOM, maybe it does give 1013.25, but the book only refers to 1013.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Soooooo, flightradar...

1-1-616x370.jpg

martinsvi wrote: »
    #NotAZealot

Could have fooled me

beautiful 727 on the way into Shannon now,G-OSRB. 34 Years old.

Rescue 118 on a mission from Castlebar to Dublin airport and they have just reported to Dublin ATC that someone is shining a laser at them near trim. scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Some nice headwinds flying westbound over the Atlantic today.

Some nice headwinds flying westbound over the Atlantic today.

That's the sort of wind that could well spoil your day if the route is any way marginal, if it lasted for any length of time, it would be enough to have some services dropping in somewhere like Shannon for a quick top up.

Some of the 757 services operating from central Europe to places a little away from the East Coast are regulars in Shannon at this time of year, they are not as such scheduled stops, but made necessary by the en route winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

That's the sort of wind that could well spoil your day if the route is any way marginal, if it lasted for any length of time, it would be enough to have some services dropping in somewhere like Shannon for a quick top up.

Some of the 757 services operating from central Europe to places a little away from the East Coast are regulars in Shannon at this time of year, they are not as such scheduled stops, but made necessary by the en route winds.

'Tech Stop' is the term I think you're looking for

RWY34 in use tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Indeed it is. At the moment, if I lean out the bedroom window, I could probably hit them with a tennis racquet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Indeed it is. At the moment, if I lean out the bedroom window, I could probably hit them with a tennis racquet.

pixar-up-house-the-real-house-from-up-will-crush-your-hopes-and-dreams-jpeg-151852.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement