Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I remember when we had Irish Helicopters, Celtic Helicopters, Mansfield, Goodman all operating Jet Rangers :)
    Have they really become that scarce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

As scarce as that elusive Celtic Tiger these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

taking somebody to the races in leopardstown i would say.

Only helicopter out there (& the only one you would see regularly at any racecourse these days) was McManus' AW139

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The medical diversions continue with monotonous regularity.....

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/transatlantic-flight-diverted-shannon-airport-9534837

Jet diverted to Shannon Airport as passenger falls ill on board
    This is the fifth plane that has diverted to Shannon Airport over the Christmas period

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/jet-diverted-shannon-airport-passenger-9540077

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Storm 10

tippman1 wrote: »

Would you call it monotonous if you or a family member was the patient on board requiring medical attention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Would you call it monotonous if you or a family member was the patient on board requiring medical attention
    I'd say not Captain obvious :rolleyes:

On a similar thought, the girl that died over Christmas had to organize a fundraiser to ship the family and the body out of Ireland, and they were put up by a local family while in Ireland as no consular assistance was available. Is there any type of agreement among airlines in this scenario? Would have thought if Airline X had to land in an emergency, they'd offer some sort of assistance to remove the body/family onwards again.

Storm 10 wrote: »

I'm afraid you misunderstand my use of the word 'monotonous' in the context of my remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I would imagine if there was any discretion in the matter then continuing on to the destination probably would be the case. If regulations, SOP's or the wishes of anyone travelling with the casualty dictate otherwise then perhaps those factors would imply otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Even if it's obvious to everyone that someone is dead ... Determining that can only be done by certain people afaik

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If the person was already dead would it not make more sense to carry on to the original destination rather than inflict hardship on the family?

At my airline no one dies on a flight ( no matter how obviously dead they are) unless they are pernounced dead by two doctors. Otherwise you do your best and divert asap

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wasnt there a flight last year that this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

wasnt there a flight last year that this happened?

Yeah, flight to Russia I think, if I remember correctly the Capt. decided to carry on as there was nothing they could do and the pax was left lying in the aisle covered by a blanket.

Apparently this latest diversion took place yesterday but didn't get much media cover. An extraordinary run of events recently.

KU 117 makes a transit stop in SNN but I'm not sure this flight had landed earlier then returned with the ill passenger.

Kuwait Airways Flight 117 was travelling from Kuwait to New York when the crew declared a medical emergency.

http://www.todayfm.com/Man-60s-dies-on-board-flight-diverted-to-Shannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

Shedite27 wrote: »

On a similar thought, the girl that died over Christmas had to organize a fundraiser to ship the family and the body out of Ireland, and they were put up by a local family while in Ireland as no consular assistance was available. Is there any type of agreement among airlines in this scenario? Would have thought if Airline X had to land in an emergency, they'd offer some sort of assistance to remove the body/family onwards again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasn3QaMYhI&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z121w15pcsvyebanq23msxobhpi4jdmrk04 Video of the events I found and the ending is heartbreaking - very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Apparently this latest diversion took place yesterday but didn't get much media cover. An extraordinary run of events recently.

KU 117 makes a transit stop in SNN but I'm not sure this flight had landed earlier then returned with the ill passenger.

The clue is in the on-time arrival at SNN, I would say.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/flight/ku117

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Jet2 in the UK famously tried to 'charge' disruptive passengers for the costs of diverting to offload them, but as far as I'm aware they never recovered a penny.

The T&Cs that 'permitted' them to charge whatever they deemed necessary were too unbalanced to stand scrutiny, plus the fact that such a diversion is discretionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Shedite27 wrote: »

Read an interesting article in the Indo recently http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/flying-them-home-aer-lingus-and-ryanairs-quiet-acts-of-compassion-35330200.html

After reading the piece I am of the opinion that the Irish airlines mentioned in the article, along with the Kevin Bell Trust have the right approach in responding to these trying and tragic situations. It's nice to know that there is a little bit of humanity still out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Another diversion at SNN just now AC875 B773ER FRA-YUl just landed.

Captain has asked tower to confirm police are waiting at the gate so could possibly be a disruptive passenger.

Shannon's long-haul traffic must have nearly been doubled over Christmas with this recent surge in diversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Shannon's long-haul traffic must have nearly been doubled over Christmas with this recent surge in diversions.

Not really, with the amount of flights EI cancel i'd say it's still just average :D:D:D

Is that my coat??? I'll grab it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

billie1b wrote: »

Not really, with the amount of flights EI cancel i'd say it's still just average :D:D:D

Is that my coat??? I'll grab it :D

:):)

Surprisingly, flights over the last few weeks have ran to full schedule.

New York ends in two days until march though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BE663 (BEE8TR) (MAN-NOC) holding at Knock.

Upon arrival RVR's were 275m at the touchdown zone. BEE8TR informed the tower that it needed 750m for an approach, but that it has an hour and a half of holding fuel so it can wait. The tower informs BEE8TR that Met Eireann see no significant change in the next two hours. BEE8TR responds that they will stay positive and hold.

All of a sudden, the tower informs BEE8TR that the RVR is 800m at the touchdown zone, BEE8TR decides to continue holding and see if the increase is temporary or more permanent. RVR just dropped back to 700m, but that was a rather sudden increase.

Update: Making an approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the "Cirrus SR22" on flight radar 24 over Ireland currently at 43,000ft is really a Bombardier Global 5000. C-FFCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

JCX BXC wrote: »
    BE663 (BEE8TR) (MAN-NOC) holding at Knock.

Upon arrival RVR's were 275m at the touchdown zone. BEE8TR informed the tower that it needed 750m for an approach, but that it has an hour and a half of holding fuel so it can wait. The tower informs BEE8TR that Met Eireann see no significant change in the next two hours. BEE8TR responds that they will stay positive and hold.

All of a sudden, the tower informs BEE8TR that the RVR is 800m at the touchdown zone, BEE8TR decides to continue holding and see if the increase is temporary or more permanent. RVR just dropped back to 700m, but that was a rather sudden increase.

Update: Making an approach.

Mother was on that flight.. lol... Obviously missed the Bus Eireann connection as only had 25 mins to spare in first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

it has an hour and a half of holding fuel so it can wait.

He was taking no chances with the fuel!
    raiders11 wrote: »
    Mother was on that flight.. lol... Obviously missed the Bus Eireann connection as only had 25 mins to spare in first place..

Ye, 25 min was tight alright if she had luggage, hopefully she got sorted and didn't have to resort to hitching on the N17?:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Buffman wrote: »
    it has an hour and a half of holding fuel so it can wait.

He was taking no chances with the fuel!
    raiders11 wrote: »

Ye, 25 min was tight alright if she had luggage, hopefully she got sorted and didn't have to resort to hitching on the N17?:D

Na, another bus 2 hours after it so with the delay n then getting a cuppa, had not long to wait... They were told, due to fog, had to hold for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

G-KLNE , hawker 900, just diverted to Dublin from Shannon due to thick fog at Shannon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement