Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

lxflyer wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    I don't understand why anyone would want to travel on Xmas day!
    Can't we have ONE day in a year that people pause their hectic lives and just chill out, be it alone, with family at home etc.
    I don't understand people wanting to travel etc on Xmas day! Who'd want to travel somewhere on Xmas day, can't think of anything worse, but that's just me
    Not celebrating Xmas, and indeed going away for it is absolutly great, no problems with it at all! Wonderful! But the vast majority of people in Ireland DO want to celebrate it and indeed the majority of Europeans . Therefore I see no problems in the lack of/greatly reduced flying schedule, closure of shopping centres, restaurants etc.
    If you want to get away somewhere nice for this holiday then there are all the days before and after!

Every year for the past few years you have posted this view, and I respect your opinion.

But I do think you underestimate the number of people who do find the day quite long or indeed lonely.

I will once again refer you to my post from two years ago, the thrust of which I think still remains valid.
    I think people need to recognise that different people have different views about Christmas Day.

It is primarily a day for children, and for anyone with children it is a really enjoyable day. And, to be fair the majority of people fall into this category.

However, for another group of people, namely many older people, single people, anyone without children or young relatives it is a very long day, when everywhere is shut and can be exceptionally boring and lonely. To suggest otherwise is just digging your head in the sand.

Taking that into account I can entirely understand people who say that they would be prepared to travel on that day - yes it's not for everyone, but there are people who it would suit.

That being said, I certainly do not feel that anyone in the industry should be compelled to work on Christmas day, but I suspect you would find sufficient volunteers who fall into the second category of people above to provide a reasonable level of service.

I suspect that at some point in the medium term (say 10 years away perhaps) the operational pattern at Dublin airport at Christmas may finally change, but as I say one would hope it would be done purely on a voluntary basis.

Thank you for your fair and valid reply,
    Guess we will just see what happens over the next few years, I suppose demand will prevail here and if it exists enough then there will be flights!
    Happy Xmas all, where ever you all are or what ever you're plans are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

EI-LAX A330-200 operating EI779 from Lanzarote to Dublin this evening!

AC868 Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR) 787-8 Dreamliner also diverted to Shannon a few minutes ago.

ET500 on its way to Shannon now from Addis Ababa, normally stops in Dublin on its way to Washington but tomorrow it will be Shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭john boye

JCX BXC wrote: »
    EI-EWR A330-200 operating EI779 from Lanzarote to Dublin this evening!

AC868 Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR) 787-8 Dreamliner also diverted to Shannon a few minutes ago.

ET500 on its way to Shannon now from Addis Ababa, normally stops in Dublin on its way to Washington but tomorrow it will be Shannon!

Think it's LAX on EI779

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

EI783 incoming from Las Palma's has gone around at Dublin

john boye wrote: »
    Think it's LAX on EI779

It is oops!

• Advertisement

EI783 incoming from Las Palma's has gone around at Dublin

Looks like a very late go around or maybe even a touch and go! No gusts, wind 230degrees 26kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Young girl (10) died according to the indo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Very sad, RIP.

Is Dublin the largest airport in the world without commercial flights tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I don't understand why anyone would want to travel on Xmas day!
    Can't we have ONE day in a year that people pause their hectic lives and just chill out, be it alone, with family at home etc.
    I don't understand people wanting to travel etc on Xmas day! Who'd want to travel somewhere on Xmas day, can't think of anything worse, but that's just me

It's not just you; apparently your view is shared by those who run Dublin Airport :)

However, the fact is that closing for Christmas is an anachronism; look at Flightradar24 tomorrow and you'll see that DUB is the only major airport with no service whatsoever.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Only one more plane in the air heading for Dublin tonight MLD831 just approaching East UK now from Amsterdam direction.

Mech1 wrote: »
    Only one more plane in the air heading for Dublin tonight MLD831 just approaching East UK now from Amsterdam direction.

Will be taking off after midnight, so on the 25th technically!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Anyone else hearing Christmas music and huuuuge interference on the cork live ATC feed?

Anyone else hearing Christmas music and huuuuge interference on the cork live ATC feed?

Heard some conversation, then switched back to what sounds like a badly tuned radio station!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Heard some conversation, then switched back to what sounds like a badly tuned radio station!

Ya that's exactly what it sounds like. Maybe the comms equipment that the fat man in the red suit has on board is interfering with it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

http://fr24.com/ANZ7/bfc83f3

No Christmas for these lads - left SFO at 8pm xmas eve and will land in Auckland 5am on St Stephens Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

BA told us it would be a normal longhaul schedule today due to demand.

• Advertisement

I recall one Christmas Day back in the early 1980s, spent at my parent's house in rural Ireland. I went for a walk in the countryside with a small air-band radio tuned to Shannon high-level on 135.6mhz.

There was nothing but the hiss of static for ages, then I picked up a distant Clipper calling for an Oceanic clearance. That was the sole aircraft for most of that day. How the times have changed.

Jet diverts to Shannon after woman suffers suspected miscarriage

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/jet-diverts-shannon-after-woman-9512557

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

My missus got me a scanner for Christmas. Is there a thread here with frequencies? I assume Shannon high is the only one with any volume of traffic today.

My missus got me a scanner for Christmas. Is there a thread here with frequencies? I assume Shannon high is the only one with any volume of traffic today.

There will be a Kuwait 777-300 ER into Shannon in about an hour, so you can listen to approach and tower for that one if you're able to. Nothing into any other airport.

The brand new Kuwait 777-300 ER has a much better Livery than the much older -200.

Here's a list of the Shannon frequencies:

They won't all be busy but if you save them into your scanner's memory, you should have plenty to listen to! Enjoy & Happy Christmas.

ICAO: EINN IATA: SNN Airport: Shannon Airport
    City: Shannon

Emergency/Guard 121.500
    Shannon Clearance (Oceanic only) 121.700
    Shannon Control 122.975
    Shannon Control 124.175
    Shannon Control 125.875
    Shannon Control 127.125
    Shannon Control 127.250
    Shannon Control 130.975
    Shannon Control 134.625
    Shannon Control 135.625
    Shannon Control 135.725
    Shannon Control 136.250
    Shannon Control (BABAN/DEVOL Sector) 132.150
    Shannon Control (Cork Sector) 131.150
    Shannon Control (Shannon Sector) 134.275
    Shannon Control (Shannon/Sota Sector) 124.700
    Shannon Control (SOTA Sector) 135.600
    Shannon FIR (below FL075) 127.500
    Shannon High Level (SOTA Sector) 135.225
    Shanwick Radio 127.650
    Shanwick Radio 135.525
    Shanwick Radio (VHF) 127.900
    Shanwick Radio Clearance 123.950
    Track Information 133.800

No further details. Thanks to Snn Spotter for the heads-up.

(Update- malfunction of the toilets!.....makes a change)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/523154341104862/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Open Skies B767 F-HILU departing
    Shannon this morning after diverting
    In on its way back to Paris.

http://flic.kr/p/Pm4BVt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Bell-Jet-Ranger in Dublin about 2 hours ago....Anyone know why? Flew across the apron near the Ryanair stands

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Bell-Jet-Ranger in Dublin about 2 hours ago....Anyone know why? Flew across the apron near the Ryanair stands

taking somebody to the races in leopardstown i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Bell-Jet-Ranger in Dublin about 2 hours ago....Anyone know why?
    Why is this considered strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Nobody said it was strange....Simply seen it and was curious. Don't see many Jet Rangers fly in and out of Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement