Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal parking in city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

This country really is run by absolute idiots.

Propped up by swathes of fellow idiots and mé féiners.

Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Why can't the blue badge holders park in Paul St car park or merchant s Quay car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

yogmeister wrote: »
    Why can't the blue badge holders park in Paul St car park or merchant s Quay car park.

On street parking is free for them, in the car parks it’s not

Mardyke wrote: »
    This country really is run by absolute idiots.

Propped up by swathes of fellow idiots and mers.

Mind boggling.

Did you ever stop and think that you are wrong and that the majority who want this ban scrapped are correct. You should consider this very likely scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Did you ever stop and think that you are wrong and that the majority who want this ban scrapped are correct. You should consider this very likely scenario.

While it might be worth considering, so too might be the opposite for you, right?

My peer group appear to be in favour of the ban. But that's just my echo chamber. They mostly want/aspire to no through-traffic in the city centre (as has been achieved in many European cities) and more people living in the city centre (higher density) with short commutes to work.

• Advertisement

Interesting: I had never considered this detail.
    Should they have subsidised parking like this, I wonder? Should they be subsidised in the car-park? Should they not be subsidised on the street? I never knew about this nuance.

Interesting: I had never considered this detail.
    Should they have subsidised parking like this, I wonder? Should they be subsidised in the car-park? Should they not be subsidised on the street? I never knew about this nuance.

Yes, my child is a blue badge holder, whenever i park on a public street (legally) be it in an ordinary space or a disabled bay i have free unlimited parking once the card is displayed, this does not apply in car parks both public and private such as HSE hospitals. I had to jump through several hoops to get it as my child does not meet the criteria for a primary medical certificate, the thing that gives you the vat off a car, vat back on petrol or diesel,free tolls and free tax once the vehicle is adapted for the disabled driver or passenger, those rules are very rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Oh yeah, the courthouse one is interesting all right. I guess if you're pals with the guards.....

Loading bay is supposed to give you 30 minutes

A class above.

Having free parking is nt the point. The point is why should Blue badge holders be allowed park on academy street and have access to Patrick St during ban times when others can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Having free parking is nt the point. The point is why should Blue badge holders be allowed park on academy street and have access to Patrick St during ban times when others can't.

Because, perhaps, they can't walk to St. Patrick's Street like others can.
    You do know that busses and taxis can also access St. Patrick's?

Anyway what is being suggested is that badge holder's would be allowed drive on the restricted streets, too. I have no problem with this.

Not so sure electric cars should be allowed, though.

• Advertisement

Paul St car park is more or less the same distance as academy St so the can't walk argument doesn't work there either. The ban should be for everyone or no one.

Paul St car park is more or less the same distance as academy St so the can't walk argument doesn't work there either. The ban should be for everyone or no one.

Sure why give them badges at all. Should parking regulations be for everyone or no one?

the beer revolu has said exactly what i would have, i hope that a disability requiring these badges never touches you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you ever stop and think that you are wrong
    Did you ever stop and think that you are wrong?

Who is this majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Who is this majority?

I'd be inclined to ignore that poster. Clearly a WUM. Nobody can be THAT brainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

the beer revolu has said exactly what i would have, i hope that a disability requiring these badges never touches you.

This issue is problematic as anyone disagreeing with the policy can be accused of "attacking the disabled" The issue is not so much regarding the criteria for issuing a blue badge, although only a tiny minority of holders are actually in wheelchairs. Many do not have particular mobility issues and as the badges are issued to cars, friends and family can use them when the person that badge was issued to is not in the car. e.g. Irish Trucker managed to get one for his daughter yet he himself can use it whether or not she is in car with him. So blue badge holders are allocated special parking spots and get parking for free.
    No particular issue with this.
    What I do have an issue with is the Greens argument that blue badge holders should be entitled to ignore the Panaban, drive in bus lanes , drive through pedestrianised areas. Disregard for the moment that this is largely academic at the moment as the lack of enforcement means that all drivers can ignore the Panaban.
    The greens are also arguing that access roads to Patrick Street that in my opinion should be pedestrianised like Academy Street, Paul Street and Peter and Paul Street will have to be kept permanently open to vehicular traffic in order to allow blue badge holders to drive on them.

I have nothing against people with disability having blue badges but using ye re logic we might as well let people with blue badges access Oliver Plunkett St and surrounding St's during pedestrianised hours also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    the badges are issued to cars, friends and family can use them when the person that badge was issued to is not in the car. e.g. Irish Trucker managed to get one for his daughter yet he himself can use it whether or not she is in car with him. .

You know you're completely 100% wrong on that? As in, that is literally the opposite to reality? Hardly a surprise though when it comes to you....

00cbfd695ec0f3180186644cc1929034.gif

This issue is problematic as anyone disagreeing with the policy can be accused of "attacking the disabled" The issue is not so much regarding the criteria for issuing a blue badge, although only a tiny minority of holders are actually in wheelchairs. Many do not have particular mobility issues and as the badges are issued to cars, friends and family can use them when the person that badge was issued to is not in the car. e.g. Irish Trucker managed to get one for his daughter yet he himself can use it whether or not she is in car with him. So blue badge holders are allocated special parking spots and get parking for free.
    No particular issue with this.
    What I do have an issue with is the Greens argument that blue badge holders should be entitled to ignore the Panaban, drive in bus lanes , drive through pedestrianised areas. Disregard for the moment that this is largely academic at the moment as the lack of enforcement means that all drivers can ignore the Panaban.
    The greens are also arguing that access roads to Patrick Street that in my opinion should be pedestrianised like Academy Street, Paul Street and Peter and Paul Street will have to be kept permanently open to vehicular traffic in order to allow blue badge holders to drive on them.

I am not condoning the illegal misuse of blue badges.
    I am only suggesting that they be allowed use the same routes that taxis are allowed use. Nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

You know you're completely 100% wrong on that? As in, that is literally the opposite to reality? Hardly a surprise though when it comes to you....

00cbfd695ec0f3180186644cc1929034.gif

It may or may not be technically correct but given that many blue badge holders do not have obvious physical disabilities no guard or anyone else is going to challenge a blue badge holder as they park to prove their disability.
    Again the isuue is whether access roads to Patrick Street need to be kept permanently open to facilitate blue badge drivers as the greens propose and whether they should be given additional entitlements as regards where they can drive. And if they are kept open for blue badge drivers other drivers will use them too. I saw a wheelchair user have to get out of the way of an SUV on Paul Street last year. In my opinion streets like that should be closed to all vehicular traffic during the Panaban as they are used to drive onto Patrick Street.
    But the narrative has now been set. Any attempt to pedestranise these streets will be spun as an attack on the disabled.

It may or may not be technically correct but
    May not be technically correct? It's flat out completely incorrect! Blue badges are issued to the person and can only be used when that person is in the car - the exact opposite of your rant.
    In my opinion streets like that should be closed to all vehicular traffic during the Panaban as they are used to drive onto Patrick Street.
    Given your history of bizarre posts on this matter, I think it's safe to say most people will take your opinion with a pinch of salt.

Not so sure electric cars should be allowed, though.

Yep, this one makes absolutely no sense to me.
    The whole thing of pushing electric cars feels like a greenwashing exercise anyway, when our grid is anything but green. Great if people choose electric over petrol/diesel, but the way to do this isn't by allowing personal SUV's transit through the city centre. Allowing taxi's is a stretch, but at least they can point to their "public service vehicle" licence.

May not be technically correct? It's flat out completely incorrect! Blue badges are issued to the person and can only be used when that person is in the car - the exact opposite of your rant.

Well since I know nothing whatsoever about the legislation, I decided to google the bit in bold. And am none the wiser unfortunately. It's clear about the conditions surrounding parking, but with regards general motoring? Frankly I have no clue. I don't remember anything about this in my driving exam. But that was a long time ago.

Yep, this one makes absolutely no sense to me.
    The whole thing of pushing electric cars feels like a greenwashing exercise anyway, when our grid is anything but green. Great if people choose electric over petrol/diesel, but the way to do this isn't by allowing personal SUV's transit through the city centre. Allowing taxi's is a stretch, but at least they can point to their "public service vehicle" licence.

EVs should definitely be allowed through*

*I may drive an EV :pac:;)

EVs should definitely be allowed through*

*I may drive an EV :pac:;)

Sorry I don't understand your post.
    Are you insinuating that that was what I wrote? I wrote the exact opposite.

Or are you arguing that EV's should be allowed? Why should they? Just to encourage more take-up? That will cause more pollution and more city centre traffic: it's nonsense. If there needs to be more encouragement for EV take-up, then raise the taxes further on non-EV's, like my car.

Edit: or are you just messing, in which case fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Whoooosh....

TheChizler wrote: »
    Whoooosh....

Yep certainly went over my head anyway. Perhaps I need more coffee.

Sorry I don't understand your post.
    Are you insinuating that that was what I wrote? I wrote the exact opposite.

Or are you arguing that EV's should be allowed? Why should they? Just to encourage more take-up? That will cause more pollution and more city centre traffic: it's nonsense. If there needs to be more encouragement for EV take-up, then raise the taxes further on non-EV's, like my car.

Edit: or are you just messing, in which case fair enough!

The last one! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

The of whole idea of the pana ban is that buses can flow more freely during peak evening hours? Allowing private cars (electric cars and blue badges) will go against this and clog pana back up again in years to come when everyone goes electric. They're hardly policing cars at the moment never mind look at the windscreen at moment to check to see if you have a blue badge. Car ban for one, car bar for all.

Advertisement