Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah I just need to get a bit more practice, getting GOW4 for Xmas so reckon I'll make more use of them then

You can download pre made Layouts for certain games in the Accessories App.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can download pre made Layouts for certain games in the Accessories App.

It's a shame they don't seem to be updating this. It could be a good clubs feature. Sharing community layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ok, bit of a quick dummies guide here

a standard xbox controller has ten buttons a,b,x,y, R1,R2,L1,L2,R3,L3 - these last two are where you click in the sticks.
    We'll call these the Inputs.

the elite controller has the same amount, plus 4 new ones (paddles) which are essentially blank until you assign a button to them.

This is done using the Accessories App. From here you can apply any of the inputs to one of the paddles.

for example, just say your game uses L1 to throw a grenade, if you want to, you can map that input to one of the paddles. you now have 2 buttons performing the same fuction. Just say this same game uses a click in of R3 to zoom in your aim (ugh), you can now map that function of R3 onto L1. note that you'll invariably have some number of dupllicates, but this shouldnt pose any great issue.

you can then save that profile onto the controller. (it can take 2 different ones - selected on the fly by the toggle switch on the controller).

There are a host of other options that can be altered such as dead zones, rumble strength, (X) logo brightness as well.

hopefully that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

It does make sense, see I was trying to use it for the likes of Street Fighter where you can edit the layout so that, for example, LT is the 3 Kick Buttons but you would be losing out on one of the kick buttons if you assigned the 3 to 1 button.
    I was hoping you could assign it to one of the paddles and still have 3 separate kick buttons if you know what I mean

It does make sense, see I was trying to use it for the likes of Street Fighter where you can edit the layout so that, for example, LT is the 3 Kick Buttons but you would be losing out on one of the kick buttons if you assigned the 3 to 1 button.
    I was hoping you could assign it to one of the paddles and still have 3 separate kick buttons if you know what I mean

im not familiar with the control scheme on SF - am I right in thinking that the trigger varies fast/medium/heavy kick with how hard you pull the trigger? (this sounds like insanity to me tbh)

if so, you'll never be able to map that to a button, the buttons are like a light switch, its either on, or off. whereas a trigger is like an accelerator pedal in a car, the further you move it, the more power you get.

I'm reading the bit I have put in bold above over and over and I still think I'm not grasping what you're trying to do. Could you try and explain it a bit better if I've picked you up wrong?

• Advertisement

Ok, bit of a quick dummies guide here

a standard xbox controller has ten buttons a,b,x,y, R1,R2,L1,L2,R3,L3 - these last two are where you click in the sticks.
    We'll call these the Inputs.

the elite controller has the same amount, plus 4 new ones (paddles) which are essentially blank until you assign a button to them.

This is done using the Accessories App. From here you can apply any of the inputs to one of the paddles.

for example, just say your game uses L1 to throw a grenade, if you want to, you can map that input to one of the paddles. you now have 2 buttons performing the same fuction. Just say this same game uses a click in of R3 to zoom in your aim (ugh), you can now map that function of R3 onto L1. note that you'll invariably have some number of dupllicates, but this shouldnt pose any great issue.

you can then save that profile onto the controller. (it can take 2 different ones - selected on the fly by the toggle switch on the controller).

There are a host of other options that can be altered such as dead zones, rumble strength, (X) logo brightness as well.

hopefully that makes sense.

Not to be pedantic but it's actually RB, LB, RT and LT with your filthy PlayStation R1 etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

im not familiar with the control scheme on SF - am I right in thinking that the trigger varies fast/medium/heavy kick with how hard you pull the trigger? (this sounds like insanity to me tbh)

if so, you'll never be able to map that to a button, the buttons are like a light switch, its either on, or off. whereas a trigger is like an accelerator pedal in a car, the further you move it, the more power you get.

I'm reading the bit I have put in bold above over and over and I still think I'm not grasping what you're trying to do. Could you try and explain it a bit better if I've picked you up wrong?

I'll try to explain as best as I can using SF as an example

Lets firstly ignore the A, B, X and Y buttons, we'll say that they are the Medium Punch & Kick and Hard Punch & kick buttons so your left with Light Punch and Kick along with a taunt button, which some players may or may not use.

So you have the L and R Triggers and Buttons. You can put the Light Kick/Punch to 2 of these, leaving 2, one can be used for the taunt so you have 1 left over.
    Some of the bigger moves uses a combination of the directional input with pressing either 2 or 3 of the same type of button at the same time, EG all 3 Punch buttons or Hard & Medium Punch.
    The Button config in the game allows you to set any button on the controller to whatever combination you want so I set, we'll say RT, as the 3 Kick button.
    Thats all buttons used but you have another move with all 3 punches and then the others with 2 Kick or Punch, you could just do this yourself by pressing but B and A but wouldnt it be easier if you could have the paddle to use instead?

I hope that explains what I meant better, I have been trying to find a picture online of the button config screen to try and explain better but got nothing except this is a little close
    2016-02-16_00007.jpg

I'll try to explain as best as I can using SF as an example

Lets firstly ignore the A, B, X and Y buttons, we'll say that they are the Medium Punch & Kick and Hard Punch & kick buttons so your left with Light Punch and Kick along with a taunt button, which some players may or may not use.

So you have the L and R Triggers and Buttons. You can put the Light Kick/Punch to 2 of these, leaving 2, one can be used for the taunt so you have 1 left over.
    Some of the bigger moves uses a combination of the directional input with pressing either 2 or 3 of the same type of button at the same time, EG all 3 Punch buttons or Hard & Medium Punch.
    The Button config in the game allows you to set any button on the controller to whatever combination you want so I set, we'll say RT, as the 3 Kick button.
    Thats all buttons used but you have another move with all 3 punches and then the others with 2 Kick or Punch, you could just do this yourself by pressing but B and A but wouldnt it be easier if you could have the paddle to use instead?

I hope that explains what I meant better, I have been trying to find a picture online of the button config screen to try and explain better but got nothing except this is a little close
    2016-02-16_00007.jpg

I've got you now, you want it so that you can map two inputs to one button,

this can't be done as far as I know, and to be fair, that would unbalance the game, if another player has to make sure they press the buttons together at the same time, they have a margin of error that wouldn't be there in yours. I believe there are devices that let you do this, programming in macros, using a keyboard and mouse etc, but tbf, its essentially cheating.

Not to be pedantic but it's actually RB, LB, RT and LT with your filthy PlayStation R1 etc :pac:

years of conditioning have made me this way.

and I'll never call those stupid menu buttons anything other than 'start' and 'select' either.

years of conditioning have made me this way.

and I'll never call those stupid menu buttons anything other than 'start' and 'select' either.

What are they actually called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I used to aspire to be like that man.

Its a sad here I tell ya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Squares and hamburger. Or view and menu, but thats not intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

...start and select :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mine is perfect and have it ages with a lot of hours use.

I'd say return it for a replacement.

Gone back today and got a refund as they were out anyway. Apparently there have been a few others returned for similar reasons. It was over the 30 day refund period but Im happy enough with the gift card credit and Ill probably just pick up the GOW controller for the price as I never really got into using paddles on the Elite :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I might be wrong but you could have still gotten a refund if you wanted to take the cash. You were returning it as it was defective, not because you didn't want it anymore. In that case I believe the legal act trumps their policy - Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Just back from picking up the Elite Controller and dropping Dead Rising 4 into Cex for e43.

Between this new controller and my new LS30's I've really spoiled myself :)

Next on the agenda is the new TV.

In the meantime, any chance of a Knighthood???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

WarpAsylum wrote:
    In the meantime, any chance of a Knighthood???

I believe we're waiting on the tavern extension to be completed before we can join in

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Picked up one of these today too. Didn't massively need or want one but that argos deal is too good really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey guys, quick question. So I recently won an EA branded Elite controller through winning a FIFA tournament.

I received this in November and over the last few days, Ive noticed the right bumper has lost its responsiveness. Im not sure on how to describe it but basically it just doesn't click the way it should. It almost feels as if its stuck. Sort of "squishy" rather than a nice crisp click.

A quick tap of it use to give a click but now, I can't get it to click unless I fully press down the right bumber. In comparison, the left bumper works fine and clicks with a slight tap.

Further up the bumber towards the middle clicks fine, the right edge however no longer clicks/works at all.

I had a previous Day 1 controller (not elite) that I also experienced the same problem but just thought of it as over use as the controller was a few years old at that point.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to correct this? If I send this off to Microsoft to be fixed, will they send the exact controller back to me? As it has a specialized design, I don't want to be sent a generic black controller.

Really disappointed that the controller broke down so soon.

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question. So I recently won an EA branded Elite controller through winning a FIFA tournament.

I received this in November and over the last few days, Ive noticed the right bumper has lost its responsiveness. Im not sure on how to describe it but basically it just doesn't click the way it should. It almost feels as if its stuck. Sort of "squishy" rather than a nice crisp click.

A quick tap of it use to give a click but now, I can't get it to click unless I fully press down the right bumber. In comparison, the left bumper works fine and clicks with a slight tap.

Further up the bumber towards the middle clicks fine, the right edge however no longer clicks/works at all.

I had a previous Day 1 controller (not elite) that I also experienced the same problem but just thought of it as over use as the controller was a few years old at that point.

Has anyone any suggestions on how to correct this? If I send this off to Microsoft to be fixed, will they send the exact controller back to me? As it has a specialized design, I don't want to be sent a generic black controller.

Really disappointed that the controller broke down so soon.

I'd get onto EA and see what they say.

• Advertisement

I'd get onto EA and see what they say.

No it wouldn't be an EA thing anyways.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Then get on to the organisers of the tournament, and see if they can help. Even the proof of purchase would help you here, as that would allow you to go to Microsoft.

In fact, you could probably contact Microsoft anyway, see what they can do for you. I've always found them pretty good about returning things.

Ah I thought you said it was an EA tournament.

Microsoft might not have any of the shells on your Controller so might not be able to replace like for like.

Ah I thought you said it was an EA tournament.

Microsoft might not have any of the shells on your Controller so might not be able to replace like for like.

It was an EA tournament but in terms of a replacement they wouldn't be able to help. Know a few people within EA.

Im wondering do Microsoft actually fix these types of issues or do they just look for a replacement. If its a fix, then it should be a simple enough fix Im guessing. If its a replacement then id nearly just keep hold of the controller more as a keepsake then.

Was chatting to MS support via Chat. They said if I have the product ID they will be able to send the controller back to me once its fixed. Not entirely convinced as at first they wanted me to go through a firmware update etc depsite me telling them it was a physical thing with the bumper being stuck.

Might try and ring them later to see if the know do they actually look to fix controllers rather than outright replace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It was an EA tournament but in terms of a replacement they wouldn't be able to help. Know a few people within EA.

Im wondering do Microsoft actually fix these types of issues or do they just look for a replacement. If its a fix, then it should be a simple enough fix Im guessing. If its a replacement then id nearly just keep hold of the controller more as a keepsake then.

Was chatting to MS support via Chat. They said if I have the product ID they will be able to send the controller back to me once its fixed. Not entirely convinced as at first they wanted me to go through a firmware update etc depsite me telling them it was a physical thing with the bumper being stuck.

Might try and ring them later to see if the know do they actually look to fix controllers rather than outright replace.

Ah, they have a script they have to follow, just to make sure that it's not something simple that can be fixed over the phone, but once you get through that they can be grand.

Not sure if they repair, or if they replace though. That's a question for them.

For all the love the elite controller gets, the xbox subreddit is alive with stories of people with problems with them, particularly the bumpers. The majority of them seemed to have very little luck with online support, and recommended going to a microsoft store, which isn't much help in this case. There were also a few links to replacement parts and tools available from ebay that might do the trick for you.
    At least its not something you've paid out cash for, so thats probably a small consolation.
    I've personally had no issues myself, and If it were to break now, I'd buy one again immediately, but I've been lucky enough to not have any of my standard controllers get the thumbstick drift issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

For all the love the elite controller gets, the xbox subreddit is alive with stories of people with problems with them,

remember people will go out of their way if theres a problem

but most people won't compliment if its working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

For all the love the elite controller gets, the xbox subreddit is alive with stories of people with problems with them, particularly the bumpers. The majority of them seemed to have very little luck with online support, and recommended going to a microsoft store, which isn't much help in this case. There were also a few links to replacement parts and tools available from ebay that might do the trick for you.
    At least its not something you've paid out cash for, so thats probably a small consolation.
    I've personally had no issues myself, and If it were to break now, I'd buy one again immediately, but I've been lucky enough to not have any of my standard controllers get the thumbstick drift issue either.

my first one went...its a huge flaw with the elite controller and Microsoft are impossible to deal with on it...I've reported mine and they keep telling me to register it ..except you can't..the only item you can register is the Surface...
    i bought another one but slated them on twitter etc but complete waste of time..at least with Scuf they follow up.,

Blazer wrote: »
    my first one went...its a huge flaw with the elite controller and Microsoft are impossible to deal with on it...I've reported mine and they keep telling me to register it ..except you can't..the only item you can register is the Surface...
    i bought another one but slated them on twitter etc but complete waste of time..at least with Scuf they follow up.,

You can't register your controller? I'm nearly sure I've registered mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Advertisement