Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I just verified with Xbox support. The elite has a 1 year warranty as does all Xbox accessories.

I knew because on my own Elite controller the grip at the back was starting to peel on the 11th month so I returned it and Xbox gave me a new elite controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That's not true.

Microsoft give at least a 1 year warranty on the Elite Controller.

Also its the first I am hearing about a WiFi issue with the One S.

Only if you buy it as a console bundle. Buying it standalone only gives you 3 months from what I could find. Must double check though. But try and register a standalone controller on the Xbox Ireland site... you can't.
    And google Xbox elite disconnects, forums are full of people having issues with the wifi card in the one s.

Blazer wrote: »
    Only if you buy it as a console bundle. Buying it standalone only gives you 3 months from what I could find. Must double check though. But try and register a standalone controller on the Xbox Ireland site... you can't.
    And google Xbox elite disconnects, forums are full of people having issues with the wifi card in the one s.

Apparently in Ireland it's a 2 year warranty , must check it out as I'm on my second elite controller .
    Dealing with ms was a pain though in trying to return my first one so I just gave up in the end. Must send both of them off for repair or replacement including the one s.

Standalone, bundled. All the same.

As I said, I verified with Xbox support. It's a 1 year warranty for the Xbox One Elite controller and all Xbox One accessories.

You don't need to register the controller on the website for your warranty to be valid. You just need proof of purchase. That's all.

Apparently in Ireland it's a 2 year warranty , must check it out as I'm on my second elite controller .
    Dealing with ms was a pain though in trying to return my first one so I just gave up in the end. Must send both of them off for repair or replacement including the one s.

I found it was incredibly simple and pleasant.

One support chat. Attached my proof of purchase and the controller serial number as requested.
    They emailed me a shipping label for UPS. I phoned UPS and arranged collection. 10 days later I had a new Elite controller.

*apologies for going off topic guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Warranties are in addition to your statutory rights, if an elite controller falls apart after 13 months you can still get it replaced, for free.

First I have heard about the S having network issues, I haven't come across it and I would have access to a few more consoles than the normal home user.

Back on topic, e3 on Sunday will be the official console reveal, it is being kept under very strict wraps until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭JoyPad

In another thread, I heard this:
    I just verified with Xbox support. The elite has a 1 year warranty as does all Xbox accessories.

I knew because on my own Elite controller the grip at the back was starting to peel on the 11th month so I returned it and Xbox gave me a new elite controller.

My Elite has the same issue, but it never occurred to me to get it replaced. I figured it would be "wear & tear" kind of thing. Having had no functional issues with the controller before, I worry that a replacement might have such problems, whereas I can easily live with a bit of rubber peeling off at the back.

Any advice before my year of warranty lapses?

JoyPad wrote: »
    In another thread, I heard this:

My Elite has the same issue, but it never occurred to me to get it replaced. I figured it would be "wear & tear" kind of thing. Having had no functional issues with the controller before, I worry that a replacement might have such problems, whereas I can easily live with a bit of rubber peeling off at the back.

Any advice before my year of warranty lapses?

When you contact support and mention the issue they will understand and state its a known issue.

Take a picture of the peeling.

Scan or take a picture of your proof of purchase.

Write down the serial number of your Xbox One. (They just ask, I don't know why they need it)

Remove the battery from the elite controller to take note of its serial number.

Go here. Sign into your Microsoft account and use the chat feature.

https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/contact-us?NavigationPath=/en-IE/xbox-one/accessories/servicing-elite-controller

Explain the issue and attach your proof of purchase along with an image of the peeling. They will then ask for the other things I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's a 1 year warranty on all Xbox accessories here in Ireland

Once you can send in PoP there should not be any ​issue...

While I appreciate the information, it wasn't quite what I was asking. I'm saying that the peeling of the rubber grip might not be so bad as to want to get a new controller, which could potentially have other issues, particularly issues that affect its functionality. Do you not agree with this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

While I appreciate the information, it wasn't quite what I was asking. I'm saying that the peeling of the rubber grip might not be so bad as to want to get a new controller, which could potentially have other issues, particularly issues that affect its functionality. Do you not agree with this?

Most of the issues with Xbox controllers are issues that seem to be specific to people, so if you suffer from broken controllers, then you're going to suffer broken controllers.

That's not to say that it's their fault by any means, whatever way the controllers are being manufactured isn't up to scratch for the way that those people hold/use their controllers. It's Microsoft fault, they should make controllers that are okay for 100% of people, rather than the 90 -95% of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

I'm not so sure its Microsoft's fault. I could buy a Ferrari and burn out the clutch or something due to my driving style. Does that make Ferrari a crap car?

It is disappointing though to hear people are unhappy with the controllers. It's always been the xbox's strongest feature. Clearly something.has gone wrong somewhere, either a confidence issue with Microsoft products or an actual decline in build quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

qrx wrote: »
    I'm not so sure its Microsoft's fault. I could buy a Ferrari and burn out the clutch or something due to my driving style. Does that make Ferrari a crap car?

It is disappointing though to hear people are unhappy with the controllers. It's always been the xbox's strongest feature. Clearly something.has gone wrong somewhere, either a confidence issue with Microsoft products or an actual decline in build quality.

I dont think there is much of an issue, it can be said about anything you will only hear about it when it goes wrong i cant imagine it's a large number of the controllers been returned. I have two elite controllers and not one problem with either one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

jayo26 wrote: »
    I have two elite controllers and not one problem with either one.

Exact same here and one of them gets used by a 7yr old too, zero issues thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I've had petty much every xbox since the very first xbox and as many controllers, still have moat of them. Every controller still works perfectly and some are being used by friends kids years later and being abused but working .

Once and only once, have I felt it necessary to return a controller because it stopped working and that was with an 'Elite'. I returned it, no problem at all. Not saying that they are all crap, but it's like anything, you can be unlucky and get one that is a dud.

As I said elsewhere, quality controller with intermittent quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I got my broken Elite controller replaced a few weeks ago, wouldn't give me a refund, how much would you sell it for? Hasn't been opened at all, wee sticky tabs etc still intact

Liamalone wrote: »
    I got my broken Elite controller replaced a few weeks ago, wouldn't give me a refund, how much would you sell it for? Hasn't been opened at all, wee sticky tabs etc still intact

You will still get 90 or so for it id imagine unless the prices have dropped dramatically in the past six months.

The bumper buttons are a weak point. If you use the bumper a lot it will eventually break. When you open the controller and look st how the left button is simply held by a bit of plastic screwed in it's a pretty poor design.
    The strange thing with the one s disconnects is I get the majority of them in mass effect and only a few in FIFA but since I could spend hours playing mass effect it shows up there more often. I don't really want to send it back but might have to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The bumper buttons are a weak point. If you use the bumper a lot it will eventually break. When you open the controller and look st how the left button is simply held by a bit of plastic screwed in it's a pretty poor design.
    The strange thing with the one s disconnects is I get the majority of them in mass effect and only a few in FIFA but since I could spend hours playing mass effect it shows up there more often. I don't really want to send it back but might have to do so.

Your controller disconnects while playing​ it?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Your controller disconnects while playing​ it?

Yeah for about 5 secs and then reconnects. Could happen 3-4 times during a few hours of gaming.
    From reading forums etc it's related to the wifi chip on the one s that links to the controller.

I just switched on mass effect and got 2 disconects in the space of a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

Any one have any issues with the D pad. My "down" is sticking lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

j14 wrote: »
    Any one have any issues with the D pad. My "down" is sticking lately.

Only have mine since Christmas. Mine is make a funny clicking noise when using the D-Pad. Im very sure its not the normal noise.
    Hardly use the D-pad so not bothered & it still works perfect.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Most of the issues with Xbox controllers are issues that seem to be specific to people, so if you suffer from broken controllers, then you're going to suffer broken controllers.

That's not to say that it's their fault by any means, whatever way the controllers are being manufactured isn't up to scratch for the way that those people hold/use their controllers. It's Microsoft fault, they should make controllers that are okay for 100% of people, rather than the 90 -95% of people.

My controller was not technically broken. The rubber grips on the back had begun peeling off, and they were not fitting back on the controller, as the rubber seemed to have expanded.

I am definitely not the only one to experience this, if you google "elite controller grips peeling off", you will find many people with the same issue, which means there's a possible design issue.

I believe the problem is connected to my body temperature: when I play, my hands get hot, and I sweat a lot. It's either my body, or the reaction to the rubber in the grips; I don't sweat with a plastic controller.

I suspect the rubber expands because of the heat and that's why it peels off. If you want to see photos of the issue, this post shows a controller very similar to mine.

Now, after almost 4 weeks, I've received a brand new replacement. I've played with it for a bit last night, and I immediately noticed the return of the heat and sweaty palms. I wonder if there's anything I can do to keep the temperature down? Should I cover the rubber with something? Play with gloves? Any ideas?

UPDATE: I've ordered some sort of silicone cover. Will see if it helps with the temperature.

Thanks for reading.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

My controller was not technically broken. The rubber grips on the back had begun peeling off, and they were not fitting back on the controller, as the rubber seemed to have expanded.

I am definitely not the only one to experience this, if you google "elite controller grips peeling off", you will find many people with the same issue, which means there's a possible design issue.

I believe the problem is connected to my body temperature: when I play, my hands get hot, and I sweat a lot. It's either my body, or the reaction to the rubber in the grips; I don't sweat with a plastic controller.

I suspect the rubber expands because of the heat and that's why it peels off. If you want to see photos of the issue, this post shows a controller very similar to mine.

Now, after almost 4 weeks, I've received a brand new replacement. I've played with it for a bit last night, and I immediately noticed the return of the heat and sweaty palms. I wonder if there's anything I can do to keep the temperature down? Should I cover the rubber with something? Play with gloves? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

Well if its really bothering you then you could cool your gaming room a little more or have a towel to wipe your hands as soon as it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Wow, saw the photos on the link you provided, that's a mighty strange issue indeed! I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone playing in rubber gloves but I have no other suggestions for you :(

I got my own Elite replaced about a month ago, still haven't broken the seal on it yet, have no faith in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,927 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for reading.

What about spraying anti perspiration on your hands before playing?

UPDATE: I've ordered some sort of silicone cover. Will see if it helps with the temperature.

Thanks for reading.

giphy.gif

I had the same issue.

It began just after the first year of use. Microsoft replaced it. I can't be bothered doing anything differently like storing it in my fridge :) so I am sure it will happen again and when it does I'll just get MS to replace it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Rubber grips peeling off left and right side for me in the last two weeks. This will be the second time I have to get an Elite replaced.

Lovely to use but the build quality has turned out to be so disappointing.

Rubber grips peeling off left and right side for me in the last two weeks. This will be the second time I have to get an Elite replaced.

Lovely to use but the build quality has turned out to be so disappointing.

Mine started to peel off over a month ago and I put a few drops of industrial superglue underneath it and it hasn't moved since wouldnt tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Just off with Xbox support.

Because they replaced my original controller last September they cannot replace it again as it is outside the 90 warranty for Accessories...i've had less than 9 months out of this replacement and they won't fix/replace.

I am raging. Does that not seem crazy or am i just blinded by consumer entitlement here?

Elite is a hell of a misnomer.

Advertisement