Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I tried registering the controller on that site but it won't accept the serial number. Found a few posts stating the site doesnt work with controller serial numbers?

I spoke with chat support and one chat agent said all I would need is the serial number. Went and got that and the next advisor then said I would need the receipt for it.

Nothing but template responses from the chat advisor. It was like speaking to a robot. Will try and ring support today and see if they can help at all.

Regarding warranties on controllers, is it correct that you need a receipt? The first advisor never said I did but this one had a totally different story.

I just find it odd that they would require a receipt. I had a console replaced by them before without any hassle. This has been a totally different experience so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I returned my elite without having to register it. The rubber grips had begun to peel so I contacted support who sent me a shipping label with instructions.

UPS collected the controller and about 7 days later I was sent a new elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Three of mine broke. All from Argos, may have been a bad batch. Asked for a refund after the third one. Back to being a peasant again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I went and bought a second elite controller today as a backup does that make me a double knight?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jayo26 wrote: »
    I went and bought a second elite controller today as a backup does that make me a double knight?

I've nearly done this a few times :)

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've nearly done this a few times :)

It seemed like a good idea at the time haha. Infairness I bought it off my mate his wife bought it for him for Xmas and he didn't have the hearth to explain to her that he has a playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Three of mine broke. All from Argos, may have been a bad batch. Asked for a refund after the third one. Back to being a peasant again :)

What broke if I may ask? I have mine a month now and I haven't wrecked it yet, from argos also.

jayo26 wrote: »
    It seemed like a good idea at the time haha. Infairness I bought it off my mate his wife bought it for him for Xmas and he didn't have the hearth to explain to her that he has a playstation.

Did she not notice he sold it :pac:

Liamalone wrote: »
    What broke if I may ask? I have mine a month now and I haven't wrecked it yet, from argos also.

Right trigger went twice, it had a slight click at the start of pulling it, really annoying, started after a week both times. The other one, the d-pad didn't sit right and Microsoft insisted they wouldn't send out just a d-pad, they said to bring the whole controller back to where I purchased it, the controller itself was fine.

Did she not notice he sold it :pac:

If she didn't notice he has a PS4 I doubt it haha.

Some partners are like that I built my pc over a year ago now and my wife still thinks it's a PS4 I do be playing Even tho it's a bit bigger and white lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Argh.

So after having to get my Elite controller replaced back in October because of a faulty RB, the RB button on my new one has also gone weird. Same issue as last time, it's no longer clicking down, and is prone to the entire button popping out. I don't know what I'm doing to cause it; its not like I use the RB button THAT much.

Does anyone know if warranties get extended when you get one replaced? As in, any chance my warranty on the new controller is a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Argh.

So after having to get my Elite controller replaced back in October because of a faulty RB, the RB button on my new one has also gone weird. Same issue as last time, it's no longer clicking down, and is prone to the entire button popping out. I don't know what I'm doing to cause it; its not like I use the RB button THAT much.

Does anyone know if warranties get extended when you get one replaced? As in, any chance my warranty on the new controller is a new one?

new controller, new warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

You don't get a new warranty. Your original warranty still applies. So if it had 3 months left then your new controller has 3 months.

It's possible the controller passed all their tests and they have just sent it back to you. I've had this happen a couple of times with Microsoft for a phone and surface. You should have gotten a report back listing various tests. If they all say passed then as far as they are concerned the controller works fine and they ship the original item back to you.

When this has happened to me i ship it straight back saying problem still not fixed. Usually in my experience on the 2nd attempt they just ship you out a brand new device, no arguments.

It's worth jotting down the serial number before you send it. That way you can tell for sure if they have returned the same device or a new one.

It was a new controller; the serial number changed when I got it.

I'll get on to them and see what they say :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Xbox warranty won't extend but aren't you protected under Irish/EU law for a reasonable period, up to 5/6 years I think.

Lovely, LB button decided to break. Premium controller my backside, I've went through about twenty normal controllers and not once did the bumper buttons break. Overrated.

Lovely, LB button decided to break. Premium controller my backside, I've went through about twenty normal controllers and not once did the bumper buttons break. Overrated.

If you've gone through 20 regular controllers some of the problem has to be you and not all down to manufacturing fault.

I've my Console since launch and have thousands of hours clocked up and have only had one Controller act up with the left thumbstick drift.

I've my Elite Controller from about a month after launch with massive hours on it. Playing games like UFC, Rocket League, Destiny, Overwatch, Tomb Raider and a few others and I've had no problems. The stupid dog even managed to get tangled in the cable when it was charging and pulled it off the stand and smashed it off the floor.

How many Xbox 360 controllers did I break in the 7 or so years? Not one, not a single one.

Google it, they skimped in the internals for the One controllers. It's not just me, just because you don't break any doesn't mean that they are grand.

How many Xbox 360 controllers did I break in the 7 or so years? Not one, not a single one.

Google it, they skimped in the internals for the One controllers. It's not just me, just because you don't break any doesn't mean that they are grand.

I didn't say they were grand, there are obviously parts that could do with being strengthened.

There is a piece in the bumpers with a clip made from plastic. The clip in the 360 controller was metal. That's why they fail on the One, the plastic is to fragile.

But the fail rate is still fairly low considering the amount of controllers sold.

You have to remember most people will complain if something breaks/goes wrong, most people who have no problems won't go out of their way to post positive reviews or experiences.

Out of a few guys I know who would have had a One a long time now I don't think there has been to many controller failures.

If you've gone through 20 controllers you must be partly to blame.

I've had four controllers, an original black one developed stick drift, got that replaced with the same model, a new Bluetooth white controller and an Elite. No problems with the other three and like I've said they've been dropped and have a lot of hours on them so I can't really complain.

If you've gone through 20 controllers you must be partly to blame.

How so? I only really play Fifa, it's the reason I got an xbox 10 years ago. Since upgrading to the One I've went through left thumbsticks like no tomorrow, what's changed? Same thing as you said about the bumpers, a piece inside was metal but it's now plastic and pops off. I actually just fix it myself now, just open it and superglue it.

When something breaks you troubleshoot to find the problem which includes looking at what might have changed. My play style hasn't changed in 10 years, it only happens with Fifa, the quality of the controller has though.

I really can't understand how this isn't understood.

• Advertisement

How so? I only really play Fifa, it's the reason I got an xbox 10 years ago. Since upgrading to the One I've went through left thumbsticks like no tomorrow, what's changed? Same thing as you said about the bumpers, a piece inside was metal but it's now plastic and pops off. I actually just fix it myself now, just open it and superglue it.

When something breaks you troubleshoot to find the problem which includes looking at what might have changed. My play style hasn't changed in 10 years, it only happens with Fifa, the quality of the controller has though.

I really can't understand how this isn't understood.

I find the Xbox One controllers are way more precise but it's quite obvious they are not up to the brutal punishment you subject them to :D

Looking ahead you'll have to adjust your playing style. Controllers are only getting more precise and responsive. A product with the durability of an extreme degree just doesn't exist on the market.

Imo, the argument of, 'it's how you play' is ridiculous. I never had to replace a 360 controller until the analogue sticks were worn to bits. I've had to replace 7 or 8 xbox one controllers. I do think that the Xbox One S controller is built far better than the original xbox one controller though, I've had no problems with it. I posted the other day that I went through 3 elite controllers which all had issues so I reverted back to the One S controller. I find that the original xbox one controller and the Elite controller aren't built nearly as well as the 360 controller.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Imo, the argument of, 'it's how you play' is ridiculous. I never had to replace a 360 controller until the analogue sticks were worn to bits. I've had to replace 7 or 8 xbox one controllers. I do think that the Xbox One S controller is built far better than the original xbox one controller though, I've had no problems with it. I posted the other day that I went through 3 elite controllers which all had issues so I reverted back to the One S controller. I find that the original xbox one controller and the Elite controller aren't built nearly as well as the 360 controller.

Well thankyou Gizmo, in this small pool of data it's good to hear from you lol. The One controller is a better 'controller' but it's an 'inferior' controller imo. Thank goodness I got the 'Elite' on a deal and returns are easy or else I would be well annoyed.

7+ years and not one Xbox 360 controller faulty.

Edit: forgot to add the old adage, 'if it's heavier, it must be better'

Edit: forgot to add the old adage, 'if it's heavier, it must be better'

Not true. Fat people are no better than skinny people :D

Gotta agree with Liam here. I had my Xbox 360 controllers since launch and never had issues. I've gone through a few normal One controllers and now 2 elites as well.

I'm having to savage one broken One controller to try and fix the Elite controller. Considering the "Elite" controller is meant to be..."Elite", that it breaks so easily because of a little piece of plastic inside freaks me out.

The 360 controller was way more durable. However, when I try to use the 360 controller now it doesn't come close to the precision of the Xbox One controller.

I have over 3 years of major gaming hours on Xbox One and have had no mechanical issues with the controllers. In fact the only issue I had was cosmetic when my Elite Controller grip began to peel.

It's like complaining that the Samsung Galaxy
    7 breaks more easily when compared to a Nokia 3310.

The Xbox One controller is vastly better than the 360 IMO. I would say anyone breaking an obscene amount of XB1 controllers has to adapt how they use their controller.

I probably dont play enough, but I've never had a broken controller on any of the 3 generations.

I do agree though that the Xbox one controllers have a more flimsy feel to them and its pretty obvious they are built cheaper compared to the other generations.

It's a little worrying to hear people having problems with the elite too and I fully believe peoples complaints. I've bought a few microsoft products and to me they do not make reliable hardware despite being sold as premium devices, so its no real surprise to be honest.

qrx wrote: »
    I probably dont play enough, but I've never had a broken controller on any of the 3 generations.

I do agree though that the Xbox one controllers have a more flimsy feel to them and its pretty obvious they are built cheaper compared to the other generations.

It's a little worrying to hear people having problems with the elite too and I fully believe peoples complaints. I've bought a few microsoft products and to me they do not make reliable hardware despite being sold as premium devices, so its no real surprise to be honest.

I'd say they are more expensive to build considering they have the rumble in the triggers.

I'd say they are more expensive to build considering they have the rumble in the triggers.

I'm sure there is better technology inside. Maybe that's why they've had to cut back on the build quality.

• Advertisement

qrx wrote: »
    I'm sure there is better technology inside. Maybe that's why they've had to cut back on the build quality.

I'd say they tried to cut the weight. When you add in those extra rumbles they added extra weight so probably decided to change some of the other metal parts to plastic to bring the overall weight back down.

Advertisement