Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Where did you buy the controller?

"90 day warranty" is as good as meaningless. The Sale & Supply of goods act has you covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

maximoose wrote: »
    Where did you buy the controller?

"90 day warranty" is as good as meaningless. The Sale & Supply of goods act has you covered.

The controller that needs replacing now is in fact a replacement, i received it in september 2016 because the original controller had a busted RB.

Quoting the sale of goods act to MS support isn't getting me very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just off with Xbox support.

Because they replaced my original controller last September they cannot replace it again as it is outside the 90 warranty for Accessories...i've had less than 9 months out of this replacement and they won't fix/replace.

I am raging. Does that not seem crazy or am i just blinded by consumer entitlement here?

Elite is a hell of a misnomer.

Did you get US customer support? 90 days is the warranty on accessories over there.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did you get US customer support? 90 days is the warranty on accessories over there.

Not sure, i was logged into my regular xbox site with my profile so i'm assuming the region was correct. From what i'm seeing on Twitter and Reddit not many are having luck getting around the 90 days warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just off with Xbox support.

Because they replaced my original controller last September they cannot replace it again as it is outside the 90 warranty for Accessories...i've had less than 9 months out of this replacement and they won't fix/replace.

I am raging. Does that not seem crazy or am i just blinded by consumer entitlement here?

Elite is a hell of a misnomer.
    It's 1 year here.

I just had my Elite replaced on the 11th month after purchase by Microsoft.

It sounds like you got routed to the US support. Go to the Xbox website and on the bottom left corner make sure you have Ireland selected then go to support - accessories and start live chat.

• Advertisement

The stories you are reading on Reddit are from the US where they only have a 90 day warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's 1 year here.

It sounds like you got routed to the US support. Go to the Xbox website and on the bottom left corner make sure you have Ireland selected then go to support - accessories and start live chat.

Its one year from date of purchase but they don't have to cover a replacement only up until the end of that one year? Its not another years warranty from the time you get replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It's 1 year here.

I think he's beyond one year from the original purchase.

From past experience, replacement products are usually sent with a guarantee that does not extend beyond the original product's guarantee. So, your current Elite, the replacement you received in the 11th month, has only one month of guarantee. If it breaks beyond that, it is no longer covered by the manufacturer's guarantee. Personally, I think this is total and utter crap, but I've heard it before.

JoyPad wrote: »
    I think he's beyond one year from the original purchase.

From past experience, replacement products are usually sent with a guarantee that does not extend beyond the original product's guarantee. So, your current Elite, the replacement you received in the 11th month, has only one month of guarantee. If it breaks beyond that, it is no longer covered by the manufacturer's guarantee. Personally, I think this is total and utter crap, but I've heard it before.

Have heard the same.

Will try again for the sake of it but the fact that this will be second replacement and the original elite purchase was about 18 months could land me in the red tape.

Cheers for the assistance everyone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Time for my best Conor Pope impression ... :)
    (Apologies for the long post)

I used the below to have a Day One Kinect replaced when it was 22 months old (Microsoft tried to argue that Kinect was an accessory and only covered by a 12-month 'warranty' ... my counter argument was that Day One Kinect was integral to the system and it wouldn't work without it, but that's not relevant to this case)

It took some back and forth but I eventually got it resolved and replaced free of charge... Hopefully the experience and referenced Consumer laws will help you.

Top tips
    • Start your support call via chat and politely argue your point based on the various consumer acts.
    • If they do not agree, politely request the case reference and ask them to escalate the case to a manager.
    • Request a copy of the chat at the end of your session.
    • Call in to Xbox Support (yes, talk to someone on the phone ... ugh!), reference your existing case and politely refer to the consumer acts that protect you in these scenarios.
    • Warranty is over and above protection offered by consumer law, it does not replace it.

The fact that your Elite Controller is already a replacement does not diminish your statutory protection. It only means that it is covered from the time of your original purchase, it does not restart the clock on the day you received the replacement controller.

I hope that helps ... for me it took several fruitless chat sessions and then when I actually talked with someone on the phone, they really moved the issue forward quickly and got a replacement, free of charge.
    Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC consumer goods must be ‘in conformity with the contract of sale ‘i.e. you should get what you paid for. Accordingly, consumers can expect that at the moment of delivery goods:

Comply with the description given by the seller, which can be made verbally or in writing, and possess the qualities of the product which the seller has held out to you as a sample or model.

For example, the seller cannot tell you that a new kitchen is in “perfect condition” if half of the cupboard doors are missing. Equally, a seller cannot show you a carpet sample of superior quality to the actual carpet that you purchase based on the sample shown.

• Are fit for the purpose for which goods of the same type are normally used, or fir for any particular purpose for which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of conclusion of the contract, and accepted by the seller.

For example, a car must be fit to be driven on the road (unless you have been specifically told that it is not). Equally, if you specifically request a right-hand drive car from a motor dealer, and he agrees in the contract of sale to supply you with one, he cannot then supply you with a left-hand drive car.

• Show a satisfactory quality and performance which a person can reasonably expect from the goods taking into account any description made by them by the seller, the producer or his representative.

For example, if you buy a camera on the basis of it having special features, it must have those features.

Remedies
    EU rules which protect consumers when buying goods and services are valid no matter where in the EU the goods are purchased and are enforceable for at least 2 years from delivery of the goods. In Ireland, there is limitation period of 6 years within which a consumer can bring an action against a trader for ‘the lack of conformity’. For example, if you order a laptop which turns out to have less memory than it is supposed to have, the problem may not be obvious to you immediately, but it is still an inherent fault in the product which the trader must remedy if you discover it within the limitation period.

Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC if the goods become faulty or do not conform to the contract consumers can request:
    • A repair or replacement, which should be provided free of charge, within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience
    • A reduction in price paid or a refund, if repair or replacement is impossible or disproportionate, or if there is unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies. The consumer is not entitled to have the contract rescinded if the lack of conformity is minor e.g. scratch on the outer plastic cover of a CD case.
    If a fault occurs within the first 6 months of purchase, it is assumed that it was there at the time of sale, and the onus is on the seller to prove the product conformed to the contract when you received it.  However, if you caused the fault the trader is under no obligation to offer the above mentioned remedies.

Guarantees and Warranties
    A guarantee is a contract between you and the manufacturer confirming that the manufacturer will repair or replace an item if something goes wrong within a certain amount of time after you buy it. A seller may offer that you an additional warranty, which can cover the product beyond the manufacturer’s guarantee. Providing a warranty is a voluntary policy is often used as a selling point in retail of electronics products.

A guarantee/warranty gives you additional protection to your rights as outlined above. It is not instead of them. Accordingly, a seller might offer you a ’6 month guarantee’ with a car, or a computer, but this ’6 month’ guarantee will be in addition to, not instead of your legal rights. Equally, if the seller offers you the car or the computer at a lower price, on a ‘no guarantee’ basis, this only means that you don’t have this additional level of protection; you still have your legal rights, and can still seek redress.

It is important to check the terms and conditions of the guarantee/warrantee and find out exactly what is covered, i.e. all parts or just specific parts are covered. The guarantee must state its content, in simple and understandable terms, and indicate the conditions for claiming under it, i.e. how long it lasts and where it applies, and the name and address of the guarantor. For example, you may buy a car in the UK which has a 3 year guarantee, but the guarantee may only valid for 2 years in Ireland.

From <http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/>

Additional consumer laws:
    - If bought in Ireland : Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1989
    - If bought in the UK: Sales of goods act 1979

• Advertisement

All really helpful advice, cheers Fingle and the rest.

I got back on to them there and felt like i was making progress until i realised i didn't have the product ID from the controller itself. Will find that and get back on chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

It also depends on who you are chatting to. I find most to be really helpful but sometimes you get someone who clearly hates their job and just want you to go away.

All really helpful advice, cheers Fingle and the rest.

I got back on to them there and felt like i was making progress until i realised i didn't have the product ID from the controller itself. Will find that and get back on chat.
    Its under the battery. They also ask for the serial number of your Xbox One so just take a quick screenshot of it so later you can enter that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Seen a few of these going wrong rubber wearing etc. For all the talk of the quality of the controller seems to have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Probably a lot depends on handling usage and just plain bad luck

Have three of them, and not had one issue, even with the one I use on PC which would get far, far more usage than the console-tied ones.

Didn't have any luck with my second or third chat sessions. Will try the phone call and 2 Years/Sale of Goods Act line but i'm discouraged at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Didn't have any luck with my second or third chat sessions. Will try the phone call and 2 Years/Sale of Goods Act line but i'm discouraged at this point.
    With my Kinect issue, it took about four lengthy chat sessions including being transferred to managers / supervisors.
    Then, two phone calls later - technically a call and a callback - and the issue was resolved.

Hopefully, you manage to get it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Any ideas where to get replacement thumb sticks lost one of the standard size ones and none of the rest are comfortable for me to use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

gotthebug wrote: »
    Any ideas where to get replacement thumb sticks lost one of the standard size ones and none of the rest are comfortable for me to use

Think you can order some through xbox support centre but probably just as handy to order through eBay: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/6x-Thumbstick-Button-Joystick-Cap-for-XBox-One-Elite-Game-Console-Controller-/182481727964?var=&hash=item2a7cc231dc:m:mah_fSBiP9vWc6WTHBEc7nw

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone know what the phone number for xbox live support in ireland is? I can't for the life of me see it on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone know what the phone number for xbox live support in ireland is? I can't for the life of me see it on the site.

It's stupid hard to find but I think it used to be 1800 509186

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ibFoxer wrote: »
    It's stupid hard to find but I think it used to be 1800 509186

Yup. Found it on boards actually.

Here's the page.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yup. Found it on boards actually.

Here's the page.

I, erm, had it written in a little notebook i have for important numbers and stuff :o

Even writing that down makes me feel sad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I, erm, had it written in a little notebook i have for important numbers and stuff :o

Even writing that down makes me feel sad :rolleyes:

More an indictment on Microsoft than yourself!

Think my elite journey is at an end. Didn't make any progress on the phone, just stonewalled despite escalating.

Gonna try and get one of those silicone covers but can't see it being as good as the original.

Thanks for the assistance anyway guys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

My LB seems to have jammed in and can't get it out. Bought the controller in Argos late October of last year. Has anyone had any issues in bringing theirs back?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My LB seems to have jammed in and can't get it out. Bought the controller in Argos late October of last year. Has anyone had any issues in bringing theirs back?

They'll more than likely swap it for a new one for you. Do you have your reciept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

They just took my one back and offered me a replacement or refund. You should be fine once you have a credit card receipt Argos receipt or something.

• Advertisement

amadablam wrote: »
    They just took my one back and offered me a replacement or refund. You should be fine once you have a credit card receipt Argos receipt or something.

Yah, had my RB go about 9 month on my first controller. Should be a straight replace.

Advertisement