Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 BDO World Championship thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ya in the 1st leg he commentated on...the crowd are great,boring ****es

He also mentioned no one has had to be thrown out yet. He should have retired a long time ago. He can't even call the game right. He constantly makes silly mistakes like when Waites was on 117 and Green says a T20 will leave 97 or when Waites was on something similar and Green says he will be looking for two T20's. It would have bust him!

That 161 was a great darts but it's all he's done. Such a poor final. 88 average plays 84

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Waites gone off the boil a little now. I realise the standard is poor compared to the PDC but overall I still enjoy the BDO and look forward to it every year.

And I even don't mind Colin Murray!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

pconn062 wrote: »
    I realise the standard is poor compared to the PDC but overall I still enjoy the BDO and look forward to it every year.
    Me too! :)

I'll be very disappointed if they move it next year to a TV station that I don't have. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bigal87

Great 156 from Waites. Only one leg away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Was that the worst final ever?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It was pretty poor.

Rob Walker is a busy man. He was MCing at the Masters snooker earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Had it recording, don't think I'll bother watching. Think the whole tournament has been quite poor by BDO standards this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That was very very poor.

Disappointing.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

End of BBC coverage. End of Bobby George. End of an era. I've been watching since John Lowe won in 1979. Won't be the same watching it on my tablet instead of the telly from now on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Good riddance to Colin Murray. Dropped from Match Of The Day 2 for nasty comments about players. Now is over the top nice on the darts so he doesn't lose that gig. Well Colin. You're finished unless BT Sport want you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Good riddance to Colin Murray. Dropped from Match Of The Day 2 for nasty comments about players. Now is over the top nice on the darts so he doesn't lose that gig. Well Colin. You're finished unless BT Sport want you

A terrible presenter, who is so smug, he thinks he's very funny.

Bizarre comments from Waites to George about pulling chains there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I thought Waites was mad not to make the switch to PDC but in fairness he has earned over €600000 and still has another job so maybe he is right to stay with the BDO. Quality player in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

murpho999 wrote: »
    A terrible presenter, who is so smug, he thinks he's very funny.

Bizarre comments from Waites to George about pulling chains there.

Starnge comments alright, what was that all about? He said something like" I heard you joined AA to Bobby George"??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Congratulations to Waites, he did what was required in an awful final.

Waites didn't make the switch as he likes his job and plays darts as a hobby. He doesn't want to commit to doing the PDC tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Looks like the occasion got to Jeff a bit, he never found his groove.

Got to hand it to Scott Waites though, a worthy champion.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Congratulations to Waites, he did what was required in an awful final.

Waites didn't make the switch as he likes his job and plays darts as a hobby. He doesn't want to commit to doing the PDC tour.

Not bad as a hobby earning over £600000 not euro actually as I posted previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not bad as a hobby earning over £600000 not euro actually as I posted previously.

Will probably make a nice bit on the exhibition circuit this year also.

Will probably make a nice bit on the exhibition circuit this year also.

Ya plus he will be invited to the GSOD for the next few years and has done well in it over the years. So it's all good for Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Didn't watch as much as normal this year but from what I did see it seemed to be the worst standard the BDO has ever had?

That final was pathetic, 87 average beats an 84!

Diabolical stuff.

Wonder can Waites get back to his best game and do well in the Grand Slam next year.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Didn't watch as much as normal this year but from what I did see it seemed to be the worst standard the BDO has ever had?

That final was pathetic, 87 average beats an 84!

Diabolical stuff.

Wonder can Waites get back to his best game and do well in the Grand Slam next year.

Ya, but Scotty was not pushed, he can play much better. GSOD has been a big money earner for him over the years. Something tells me Mr Durrant will make the switch to the PDC.

Something tells me Mr Durrant will make the switch to the PDC.

Apparently not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/35272213

Bigal87 wrote: »

Pity. At 45 he is running out of time to make the switch and it may never happen now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Poor poor stuff, Waites is a deserving champion but he really wasn't pushed in the final at all and that's disappointing. Good luck and good riddance to BBC, let's see if BT sports can try and bring something new to BDO, it really needs a shot in the arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I haven't seen much of the Lakeside championship this year. Was the standard unusually low or was there just more people comparing it to the PDC? Seems to have been a lot of negativity on social media around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

I thought Waites was mad not to make the switch to PDC but in fairness he has earned over €600000 and still has another job so maybe he is right to stay with the BDO. Quality player in fairness.

where did you get that figure?

2 bdo wc and the grand slam winner and runner up
    whats the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

sad to see a once great tournament now so poor
    there was some great games last year but very few this year
    jeff smith who done nothing while in the pdc makes a final and semi 2 years running
    80 averages is just terrible at any stage of a world championship, never mind a final

scott mitchell saying on twitter hes considering the big switch
    not sure if he would cut the mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Didn't see final. Glad I missed it if an 87 avg can win a world final it's a sad reflection on standard regardless of whether waites was pushed or not. Saw that runner up play before and if anyone told me he would make a world final I would have given them 100/1. still not waites fault if someone is willing to put up 100 grand for that ****e standard over all take the money and run.

sc86 wrote: »
    where did you get that figure?

2 bdo wc and the grand slam winner and runner up
    whats the rest?

Dartsdatabase man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Have to say I really enjoyed the whole tournament. The BDO really seems to have a friendly feel about it.
    Was good to see the women's comp and the youths final aswell.
    Standard may not be as good as the PDC but the excitement levels are definitely better! The crowd actually watch the games and give respect to the players!
    Tony Green is the worst commentator around! YES YES YESSSS! You can't finish 161! Go for a T20 when on 128 with your first dart! I could go on all day about how bad his commentary was!

Hopefully BT Sports bring the BDO forward and give them the airtime that they deserve!

Advertisement