Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 BDO World Championship thread

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

mackeire wrote: »
    Have to say I really enjoyed the whole tournament. The BDO really seems to have a friendly feel about it.
    Was good to see the women's comp and the youths final aswell.
    Standard may not be as good as the PDC but the excitement levels are definitely better! The crowd actually watch the games and give respect to the players!
    Tony Green is the worst commentator around! YES YES YESSSS! You can't finish 161! Go for a T20 when on 128 with your first dart! I could go on all day about how bad his commentary was!

Hopefully BT Sports bring the BDO forward and give them the airtime that they deserve!

I don't really mind the crowd either way, now granted the PDC crowd at the world's can be a bit annoying with their stupid, unimaginative chants. But I wouldn't agree that the excitement is better in the BDO, the PDC WC was brilliant this year, with some outstandingly exciting games and obviously a far greater quality, the BDO had a few good games but not near as exciting for me.

The BDO is still the world governing body and as such they nearly always have the best young talent coming through their ranks before the PDC. Why they don't make a greater effort to hold on to them is beyond me, especially considering they have this distinct early advantage over the PDC.

But ye, hopefully BT sports can bring the BDO into the 21st century, although it would be better if the game of darts was united.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

in all honesty why would the bdo even want it?
    i suppose if it was free it would fill a gap

with the pdc youth tour now i think the days of the good young players going from starting in bdo to moving to pdc when they have learned there trade are going to gradually die out

excitement levels better in bdo? come off it martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I meant exciting in a way that you have no idea who is going to win! Some of the non seeded players are just as good as the seeded guys.

Its a pits Waites and Durrant weren't on opposite sides of the draw. Would have made a great final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It was certainly hard to predict, the amount of favs that lost was very high.

I do love the atmosphere of it all, has a real retro 90s vibe to it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

mdwexford wrote: »
    It was certainly hard to predict, the amount of favs that lost was very high.

I do love the atmosphere of it all, has a real retro 90s vibe to it or something.

Ya was there the year Kist won it and the most modern act we saw on the wall was Hale and Pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Is yerman that owns the lakeside venue still with us? He must be a fair good age if he is still knockin about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

squadro wrote: »
    Is yerman that owns the lakeside venue still with us? He must be a fair good age if he is still knockin about.

Bob Potter is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He presented the trophy to the winners in both finals this year. Looks well for a man of his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I love the PDC but I enjoy watching the quieter arena and more sort of friendly crowd here I would love to head over to it for the week

I'd always have said I'd prefer to go to the BDO worlds, the thought of being stuck in what seems like a mix of thousands of drunk stags and hens a mile from the stage and the players just doesn't interest me.

But this year's tournament seemed to be a bit of a damp squib. Waites won and he's not next or near the player he was was. I really hope he puts on a big charge in the GSoD...but he won't on that form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement