Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 BDO World Championship thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bigal87

5-5 now!! Too close to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Epic game. Delighted for Jeff Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Excellent game, well done to both players, brilliant little 10 darter there as well from Jeff Smith to wrap it up.

Should be a good game tomorrow and I'd love to see Jeff win it but I'd expect Waites to do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Phew! Close one. Go Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This thing of having the coverage split between two different operators is a load of crap. I've missed half the coverage with the BBC not showing the evening sessions. It very half arsed altogether, and even worse next year when it will be behind a paywall. A real shame to lose this tournament, wish ITV or someone would step in but I guess money talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

pconn062 wrote: »
    This thing of having the coverage split between two different operators is a load of crap. I've missed half the coverage with the BBC not showing the evening sessions. It very half arsed altogether, and even worse next year when it will be behind a paywall. A real shame to lose this tournament, wish ITV or someone would step in but I guess money talks.

I think its far away from being a 'money talks' thing in the traditonal sense of sporting rights leaving fta as by most accounts the BBC were getting it for zero. However even a price of zero leaves you with the production costs (prob around £1M for the week) and the BBC have apparently* walked away. bt sport likely getting it for peanuts as well but willing to absorb the costs.
    ITV was always very unlikely as they have 5 PDC events now.

* any actual official confirmation of this or is still just the various articles from the start of December which had nothing concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I have BT Sport myself but this is a risky move from a BDO point of view, surely one of the key benefits to being on BBC is greater viewing figures. Now I don't think either the BDO nor the BBC made any great efforts to improve their product and compete with the PDC and maybe BT Sport will push for that but being behind the pay wall will inevitably mean lower viewership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

and even worse next year when it will be behind a paywall

We have the technology to get around this. F@ck them. ;)

There's still hope that the BBC might keep it, I don't think it has been officially cut yet.

The worry is that the broadcast contract is up this year and they're making huge cuts in spending to their sports department.

Just to echo an above post I'm fairly sure the BDO receive no fee from the BBC. This is also the case with their Eurosport deal.

BT might be the ones to inject some cash into their product, hopefully we get an announcement from them soon regarding their plans. They're rumoured to be picking up more tournaments this year.

The Players Championship a new tournament on the schedule is coming up at the end of February, it would be great to see that get TV coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

What sorta curtain is that clown Bobby George draped in!!!!

Hope it a good game

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

What sorta curtain is that clown Bobby George draped in!!!!

Hope it a good game

TbL

Loks like something Austen Powers would wear :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The bull looks huge on the Blade 4 board.

Waited has settled in now and looks much the better. Would like Smith to win it but he has to step up his game quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

Smith looks very nervous. Hope it's not a rout.

I'd like to see Smith win it too, both are a little inconsistent but Smith more so, can't seem him doing it

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

85 average so far by Smith which is very poor in a final

Crowd seem very quiet, not great quality darts

TbL

This match is pretty flat so far. No wonder the crowd are so quiet. Can't see Smith winning from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

I've been brought up on BDO darts since the mid 90's but this is a really poor standard for a final, one of the worst in a while i'd imagine. Waites is only doing the neccessary things without being spectacular.

Not only that but the coverage has been poor the Womens final was near unbearable to watch last night too. That Colm lad presenting it is awfully irritating and tries to be funny too much.

Waites should win this easily from here with his previous experience, 7-1,7-2 seems likely unless Smith finds some big finishes as his scoring is not heavy enough.

To be fair, all the commentators keep trying to be funny too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Feel sorry for Smith hes just trying to hard. Just not dropping in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

Bigal87 wrote: »
    To be fair, all the commentators keep trying to be funny too.

Tony Green wasnt funny in the 80's or 90's and certainly aint now! Can understand any commentator being funny in a spur of the moment thing but Murray is presenting and tries forcing it on you. Him and George together are a horrible combination

And Tony Green is just unintentionally funny :pac:

Holy crap, it's the 5th set and that was only the 6th 180!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭tanko

The commentator reckons this is "five star darts". Is the co commentator drunk?

Thats the smaller trebles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

And Tony Green is just unintentionally funny :pac:

Has he mentioned best of order yet?

Cracking 161 from Smith. This isnt over yet.

Great 161 checkout from Smith. Still an uphill struggle from here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Has he mentioned best of order yet?

Ya in the 1st leg he commentated on...the crowd are great,boring ****es

Advertisement