Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 BDO World Championship thread

Options
  • 02-01-2016 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭

Starts today, last time on BBC too.

Hope this doesn't descend into the usual BDO v PDC crap, but I fear it will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

KevIRL wrote: »
    Starts today, last time on BBC too.

Hope this doesn't descend into the usual BDO v PDC crap, but I fear it will.

Colin Murray already had a dig "No segregation, no drink limit, no problems"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Let's see if o shea has his usual first round defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jamesbere wrote: »
    Let's see if o shea has his usual first round defeat

No bother, cruised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭tanko

Tony o shea just said he beat Van Gerwen recently. What tournament was that in or was he dreaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

It's the BDO's female answer to Perter Wright here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

It's the BDO's female answer to Perter Wright here.

Lol, she just scored 3 on a throw there then on her next throw threw her first dart outside the board!

Is that Tony Green on commentary? Made some comment about this being women and not men when Ashton got a 180.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Degag wrote: »
    Lol, she just scored 3 on a throw there then on her next throw threw her first dart outside the board!

Is that Tony Green on commentary? Made some comment about this being women and not men when Ashton got a 180.

Yeah that's him, kept very quiet about the 3 and the dart out of the board though didn't he :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

You'd wonder why women can't compete with the men. I think maybe it's because of the lack of women playing darts. If there was a better standard in the women's game, maybe the top women's players like Ashton would be more motivated to improve their game and then the all round standard would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Chuck on the BBC now loving it he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It's a pity the BBC are ditching it; terrestrial tv is what introduces sport to most youngsters. The viewing figures when sports switch to pay-tv are fairly paltry in comparison.

No doubt they spent the money on another costume drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

MikeSD wrote: »
    You'd wonder why women can't compete with the men. I think maybe it's because of the lack of women playing darts. If there was a better standard in the women's game, maybe the top women's players like Ashton would be more motivated to improve their game and then the all round standard would be better.

Lots of scientific studies show men are superior to women when it comes to tasks requiring hand-to-eye coordination - results are similar at all ages so its likely to be inherent rather than 'learned'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MikeSD wrote: »

Anna Dobromyslova competed with the men in a few PDC events a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Harbour likes it harder. Fair enough.

It's a pity the BBC are ditching it; terrestrial tv is what introduces sport to most youngsters. The viewing figures when sports switch to pay-tv are fairly paltry in comparison.

No doubt they spent the money on another costume drama.

I just looked up the viewing figures for both finals in 2015.

PDC final on Sky peaked at 1.7million viewers (a record rating)

BDO final on BBC peaked at 3.5 million viewers.

Fitton struggling yet again. Strange he hasn't reached a final, guess he lacks the consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Why is it their last world championship on BBC? Is it heading for BT sport full or something?

I like sky and BT sport but I love to see as much sport as possible on free to air tv, gets the games out there to a larger audience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Why is it their last world championship on BBC? Is it heading for BT sport full or something?

BBC dropped it due to budget cuts.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    BBC dropped it due to budget cuts.

Really? Jaysus the darts could be a real money spinner for them if they used the old heads, gets great viewing figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Bobby George made it to another year. How is he still going?

I think the ref said 86 instead of 76 in that last leg

• Advertisement

Shocking cock-up by the officials, Harbour won't be happy if he loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

I just looked up the viewing figures for both finals in 2015.

PDC final on Sky peaked at 1.7million viewers (a record rating)

BDO final on BBC peaked at 3.5 million viewers.

Don’t forget you have to pay a subscription to watch the PDC final on sly while the BBC is free to air. And I could be wrong but I am sure the BBC Figures are well down on recent years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

tanko wrote: »
    Shocking cock-up by the officials, Harbour won't be happy if he loses.

Not watching but what happened? Did the ref call 86 left when he had 76 left?

Yeah, I think so. He didn't get the 86 anyway.

Sudden death.

buster180 wrote: »
    Don’t forget you have to pay a subscription to watch the PDC final on sly while the BBC is free to air. And I could be wrong but I am sure the BBC Figures are well down on recent years.

Oh I that know that, I was just agreeing with the poster who was making the point that terrestrial tv will nearly always have higher viewing figures than subscription tv due to it being free to air.

Fitton out, missed doubles cost him. Harbour kept his nerve well at the end.

Yes the ref definitely called 86, when 76 was left but the screen the ref was reading from could have been wrong. Either way the BBC confirmed 76 was the correct score, lucky enough Harbour won in the end.

Is there any coverage tonight? Is it behind the red button on some BBC Channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Think its been on BT sports 2 for last hour an a half not sure though

Advertisement