Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Because it's not for you to say what's important to other people! That's just arrogant.

Arrogance is not part of my post nor am I saying what should be important to other people, I'm sure people are mature enough to make up their own minds on that, but it is important to me that this part of our culture is preserved and nourished and I will grasp every opportunity that arises to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Because it's going into the pockets of government cronies. These grants would be for aspiring artists and entrepreneurs. There is a difference.

Oiche mhaith, ancapailldorcha. Is docha i 2008, bhi tu in an smaoineamh nios laidre.

Goodnight ancapailldorcha - it seems in 2008 you were a bit more open minded.

Your attitude seems informed more by ingrained cynicism than reality, and that I cannot counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jno547 wrote: »
    Arrogance is not part of my post nor am I saying what should be important to other people, I'm sure people are mature enough to make up their own minds on that, but it is important to me that this part of our culture is preserved and nourished and I will grasp every opportunity that arises to do that.

You did - you said "who we are" - that implies plural. And I'm assuming you mean everyone Irish. Might nto have been intended as aorrogant - fair enough - but it still implies that what you think is important, everyone should think important.

The problem is, endorsing cumpulsory Irish is endorsing a system that does not allow people to make up their own minds.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Except learning to speak it?

Every opportunity is an interesting metric though. If, hypothetically, you could pay any X amount of money to ensure the endangered language survives into the far future what would the minimum value of X be for you?

Because it's not for you to say what's important to other people! That's just arrogant.

Right, but it's not up to you either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I don't resent the language. I resent the special interest groups cowering behind it.

Wow. I think if you had revealed this fact a little earlier it might have helped lead to some constructive debate. But this thread seems to just be mired in backbiting and overreaction, with nobody actually listening to each other.

What a wasted opportunity. I'm out.

Right, but it's not up to you either...

Where did I say it was?

The problem is, endorsing cumpulsory Irish is endorsing a system that does not allow people to make up their own minds.

As I said earlier on the thread, I'm in agreement about making it optional after junior cert. Most of the subjects I did for junior cert were compulsory and I think that's fine - few of us are mature enough at 12/13 to make informed choices. By 15, and facing into Leaving Cert, I do think it should be optional.

In either case, the way it is taught has to be improved.

As I said earlier on the thread, I'm in agreement about making it optional after junior cert. Most of the subjects I did for junior cert were compulsory and I think that's fine - few of us are mature enough at 12/13 to make informed choices. By 15, and facing into Leaving Cert, I do think it should be optional.

In either case, the way it is taught has to be improved.

Yeah, now THIS is what I said!

But they've had nearly a certury to put together a syallabus that turns it into a language and makes it palatable for kids. How much longer is it going to take?

The probelm is when people have to do it anyway, where's no motivation to improve it. As the inevitable status quo proves.

You did - you said "who we are" - that implies plural. And I'm assuming you mean everyone Irish. Might nto have been intended as aorrogant - fair enough - but it still implies that what you think is important, everyone should think important.

I did..you said.... tiring,
    Compulsory Irish to Leaving cert is here and hopefully here to stay and I fully endorse that.

• Advertisement

I did..you said.... tiring,
    Compulsory Irish to Leaving cert is here and hopefully here to stay and I fully endorse that.

So you are in favour of people making up their own minds as well as forcing them to learn it...? :confused:

If you find debate tiring, you're on the wrong website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

maudgonner wrote: »
    Wow. I think if you had revealed this fact a little earlier it might have helped lead to some constructive debate. But this thread seems to just be mired in backbiting and overreaction, with nobody actually listening to each other.

What a wasted opportunity. I'm out.

I was very clear about this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Iwasfrozen wrote:
    Every opportunity is an interesting metric though. If, hypothetically, you could pay any X amount of money to ensure the endangered language survives into the far future what would the minimum value of X be for you?

Ahh here we go, the monetary value of 'an endangered language' always has to rear it's ugly head, there is no price on preserving what is part of who I am. Its called pride which to me is priceless. Try it out sometime you might be surprised and get something other than monetary gain out of it.

Ahh here we go, the monetary value of 'an endangered language' always has to rear it's ugly head, there is no price on preserving what is part of who I am. Its called pride which to me is priceless. Try it out sometime you might be surprised and get something other than monetary gain out of it.
    There's no price? So you would spend all your money? Sell your car? Your house? Pauperize your family? X would approach infinity for you? Go on humour me, give me a realistic answer.

I'm interested in what value a man places on a language he doesn't speak but claims is part of his identity.

So you are in favour of people making up their own minds as well as forcing them to learn it...?

Have you a problem reading what I type or is it just tiredness ???
    On the contrary its a great site for a debate, just difficult when people only see what they want between the lines.
    Oiche mhaith, thats Good Night.

Have you a problem reading what I type or is it just tiredness ???
    On the contrary its a great site for a debate, just difficult when people only see what they want between the lines.
    Oiche mhaith, thats Good Night.

Hmm.... looks like we have found our chess-playing pigeon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

All the more important then that we protect and preserve the little culture that exists here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I was very clear about this.
    Fair enough, I missed it - I tend to swear off this thread every few days cause it gives me Hulk rage. Way too much bitterness and entrenched views for me :)

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I am fully in favour of broadening the definition of what it means to be Irish to include greater diversity. This shouldn't mean abandoning Irish though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    There's no price? So you would spend all your money? Sell your car? Your house? Pauperize your family? X would approach infinity for you? Go on humour me, give me a realistic answer.
    Sheesh. *scary noises* Hyperbole much? Pauperise one's family? Eh W.T.F? And you speak of realism without any hint of irony?

I'm not so value blind and binary in thinking to see it as one or the other, or so value blind to see the only good background is one that sets a person up just to feed the mechanisms of commerce and industry. Things deemed "useful" are an organic and varying thing, unless one wants to get all Sheldon Cooper about it. Or if one has coin in the game. Professional Gaelgoiri definitely have coin in the game.

I'd have little issue with public money promoting a language of a minority with a deep history in this country. Goes for other minority cultural pursuits. It's not, or shouldn't be all about the balance sheet, IMHO that as a hardline way of thinking is more like a pathology, rather than a philosophy.

However, I very much do have issue with the amounts of public monies concerned, the amounts of you're not really "Irish" if you're not fully on board with as Gaelige while dancing a jig and wielding a hurl baggage and the amounts of artificial requirements to prove how "Irish" one is that are attached.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sheesh. *scary noises* Hyperbole much? Pauperise one's family? Eh W.T.F? And you speak of realism without any hint of irony?

I'm not so value blind and binary in thinking to see it as one or the other, or so value blind to see the only good background is one that sets a person up just to feed the mechanisms of commerce and industry. Things deemed "useful" are an organic and varying thing, unless one wants to get all Sheldon Cooper about it. Or if one has coin in the game. Professional Gaelgoiri definitely have coin in the game.

I'd have little issue with public money promoting a language of a minority with a deep history in this country. Goes for other minority cultural pursuits. It's not, or shouldn't be all about the balance sheet, IMHO that as a hardline way of thinking is more like a pathology, rather than a philosophy.

However, I very much do have issue with the amounts of public monies concerned, the amounts of you're not really "Irish" if you're not fully on board with as Gaelige while dancing a jig and wielding a hurl baggage and the amounts of artificial requirements to prove how "Irish" one is that are attached.
    Well yes, I was using hyperbole for emphasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

There is an old Irish proverb which translated says "a country without a language is a country without an identity "
    That's not an old Irish proverb and you've misquoted Padraig Pearse, who made it up.

It's also nonsense. Every country has a language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wibbs wrote: »

Well, Wibbs we have a system which exists to enrich government cronies and when this system is challenged at all they cower behind the language and hold it hostage as if cutting off their gravy train will result in the final death of the language. It's easy to moan about public money when it's being wasted, less so when it achieves results.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    That's not an old Irish proverb and you've misquoted Padraig Pearse, who made it up.

It's also nonsense. Every country has a language.

Many have many more than one because they knew how to keep them alive, not just at the schools!

Well, Wibbs we have a system which exists to enrich government cronies and when this system is challenged at all they cower behind the language and hold it hostage as if cutting off their gravy train will result in the final death of the language. It's easy to moan about public money when it's being wasted, less so when it achieves results.

If your gripe is with government cronyism and waste, there are many, many examples of that in Ireland.

You see the money spent on Irish as a waste, but I don't. Is your opinion more important or valuable than mine?

If your gripe is with government cronyism and waste, there are many, many examples of that in Ireland.

You see the money spent on Irish as a waste, but I don't. Is your opinion more important or valuable than mine?

It's a waste because the vast majority of the population is not fluent. Worse, people aren't gaining skills which would help the country because they have to spend so long trying to learn from a fundamentally broken syllabus.

H. H. Asquith

It's a waste because the vast majority of the population is not fluent. Worse, people aren't gaining skills which would help the country because they have to spend so long trying to learn from a fundamentally broken syllabus.

So we're back to your confusion over whether you object to the money being spent, or that it's not spent more effectively. For the record, about 55,000 people take oral, aural and written fluency exams each year and the vast majority pass it. So your point is null and void.

• Advertisement

So we're back to your confusion over whether you object to the money being spent, or that it's not spent more effectively. For the record, about 55,000 people take oral, aural and written fluency exams each year and the vast majority pass it. So your point is null and void.

Another figure plucked from nowhere. It's barely above 1% of the population which seems small for a supposed national language.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement