Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

So the current question should be - should minority interests receive state funding? If they shouldn't, thousands of art, sport and cultural programmes
    should be axed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Ah this old chestnut. The ever promised revival. Gaelscoils have unfortunately been there for decades and will continue to keep going. I would think that the kids are having their summers confiscated from them. It'll help prepare them for later life at least.

I have lots of friends that enjoy going to the Gaeltacht.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So the current question should be - should minority interests receive state funding? If they shouldn't, thousands of art, sport and cultural programmes
    should be axed.

Again, the thread is about Irish.
    Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    I have lots of friends that enjoy going to the Gaeltacht.

I have lots who think of it as hell on earth.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ah this old chestnut. The ever promised revival. Gaelscoils have unfortunately been there for decades and will continue to keep going. I would think that the kids are having their summers confiscated from them. It'll help prepare them for later life at least.

I loved the Gaeltacht as a teen. A few weeks away surrounded by people my own age, all kinds of activities, ceili every night. Those were the days!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,040 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I loved the Gaeltacht as a teen. A few weeks away surrounded by people my own age, all kinds of activities, ceili every night. Those were the days!

Fortunately, my parents hated the Gaeltachts with a passion so I was spared such torment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Fortunately, my parents hated the Gaeltachts with a passion so I was spared such torment.

So really, you have no experience to speak of on the topic, and you're merely passing on your parents' feelings. Shame you never got the opportunity to form your own opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The anti Irish brigade's arguments have time and again been shown to have no merit.

IN fanirness, that's a very wide-sweeping statement.

Firstly - what anti-Irish brigade? Most people here have publicly stated they don't hate Irish - it's just not relevant to them. This doesn not make them either anti-Irish or part of any brigade.

Secondly, various arguments have been shown to have merit. Compulsion, for one thing. Whether a particular poster would still take it if it was optional is irrelevant: because us not taking it is not going to lead to the demise or revival of the Irish language. Conversely, someone has yet to put forward a solid argument as to how forcing disinterested students to take the language for the Leaving Cert helps either the language or the student. It;s also very relevant because it is one of the main causes of people not liking the language. We may not take it given the choice, we may still be indifferent to it, but we're less likely to actually hate it. It's a valid argument - with merit.

Another argument is the faux-nationalism argument. You do NOT need Irish to express your sense of being Irish! There are many other aspects of the culture that people use. You mentioned earlier that "art is useless to most people" - well, have a look at the art of Jim Fitzpatrick and tell me that he's not expressing his sense of irishness!

Not do you even need to have a sense of Irish in the first place! To a lot of us, as I've argued, our sense of self is more important to us. Again, this is a valid argument - with merit.

All this has been said before in arguments you have participated in. If you disagree, then post rebuttals - but don't sit there and just wave them away with a "oh they have no merit" - that's just lazy and ignorant.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So really, you have no experience to speak of on the topic, and you're merely passing on your parents' feelings. Shame you never got the opportunity to form your own opinion!

I spent hundreds of hours in school having it shoved down my throat which I would think is experience enough.

H. H. Asquith

Speaking a different langauge for a week is that big of a problem to you? Wow.

I spent hundreds of hours in school having it shoved down my throat which I would think is experience enough.

You haven't experienced staying in a Gaeltacht. That is completely different to a class environment. You can't compare.

• Advertisement

Speaking a different langauge for a week is that big of a problem to you? Wow.

I'd rather learn one which might come in useful.

H. H. Asquith

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

ní bheidh mo leithead an arís

XR3i wrote: »
    ní bheidh mo leithead an arís

You'd better translate that quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Again, the thread is about Irish.

Its more the principle of it though. Everyone has a pet hate. If all the funding for individuals pet hates were removed there'd be nothing left. Its good to fund minority interests, it means diversity in society and people thinking differently.
    I have lots who think of it as hell on earth.

The gaeltacht is optional I believe and people are free to leave at anytime. Its not a gulag!

I'd rather learn one which might come in useful.

You have that option under the current system...

I found learning Arabic easier because of Irish. There are guttural sounds we don't use in English that I was familiar with from Irish.

You have that option under the current system...

I found learning Arabic easier because of Irish. There are guttural sounds we don't use in English that I was familiar with from Irish.

Or we could remove Irish and replace it with useful subjects like STEM, business, etc...

H. H. Asquith

If people think Irish wastes time in school they should do foundation and then pass Irish. I forget if there is foundation irish at leaving cert. You could literally pass the leaving with a day or two of study.

Its certainly not as hard as honours english or honours maths both of which are huge subjects of themselves.

If people think Irish wastes time in school they should do foundation and then pass Irish. I forget if there is foundation irish at leaving cert. You could literally pass the leaving with a day or two of study.

Its certainly not as hard as honours english or honours maths both of which are huge subjects of themselves.

No, they should be able to exempt themselves.

H. H. Asquith

Or we could remove Irish and replace it with useful subjects like STEM, business, etc...

Not everybody's idea of useful subjects are the same.

Not everybody's idea of useful subjects are the same.

True but virtually dead languages shouldn't be on the agenda at all.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Complete myth and completely irrelevant to most peoples future careers. Most people dont go into engineering etc. Its right these particular subjects are optional.

Mandatory subjects often do more harm than good (if we accept your logic).

Complete myth and completely irrelevant to most peoples future careers. Most people dont go into engineering etc. Its right these particular subjects are optional.

Mandatory subjects often do more harm than good (if we accept your logic).

Most people don't go into Irish either and yet that needs to be compulsory. Why?

H. H. Asquith

People are doing 7 or 8 subjects anywat, you would nearly think people only do 3 subjects or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Irish isn't even a nice sounding language. If it were sexy like Spanish or Italien it might not have such a hard time surviving!

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Irish isn't even a nice sounding language. If it were sexy like Spanish or Italien it might not have such a hard time surviving!

That's a matter of opinion. I love the sound of irish, especially Ulster Irish.

No, they should be able to exempt themselves.

Pass irish is easy. I dont even think peig was part of pass irish in the past. I was in honours irish and thought about doing pass. It was basically a case of learning to write letters and other fairly simple tasks.

The hatred of irish and the mandatory question really are separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- XR3i, provide translations per boards rules or sanctions will follow. Do not reply to this post on thread.

Pass irish is easy. I dont even think peig was part of pass irish in the past. I was in honours irish and thought about doing pass. It was basically a case of learning to write letters and other fairly simple tasks.

The hatred of irish and the mandatory question really are separate.

Irrelevant, people should be able to exempt themselves as per any other language.

H. H. Asquith

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

You're grasping at straws now to be fair. You seem to think we should only learn sexy sounding languages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I truely find odd the relationship between Irish people and the Irish language. You should be a bilingual nation but instead you letting the Irish die. You should take example of the Basque. They revived their language from the ashes and in a space of 20 years it is amazing to see how alive the basque language is now.

Advertisement