Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I get no benefit from Lyric FM, the GAA or the fact that art is taught in school - I'm still glad they exist though, because I'm able to see beyond my own needs when it comes to culture.

Well, the GAA is highly profitable for one thing (source). It's the waste I cannot abide. It'd be one thing if we were all bilingual but we are not and that is down to the cronyism which is sadly a permanent feature in Dáil Éireann.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

I have an issue with paying tax for it when there's no end of better uses for the revenue. I have an issue with it being forced down children's throats with the sole aim of enriching the Irish language lobby. Ireland has been a self-governing republic for nearly 85 years now, 95 if you include the W.T. Cosgrave years. The English aren't responsible for its demise, the Irish language lobby is.

Who likes waste? Who likes hypocrisy?

I, like many i'm sure, have an issue with people who scam the deontas because they are scamming money that could otherwise be used for good promotion of Irish, like TG4 (which is definitely one of the better initiatives imho).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dughorm wrote: »
    Who likes waste? Who likes hypocrisy?

I, like many i'm sure, have an issue with people who scam the deontas because they are scamming money that could otherwise be used for good promotion of Irish, like TG4 (which is definitely one of the better initiatives imho).

As I said, we've had just short of 85 years of self-government at this stage so it simply won't stop. The only way I see things improving for the language is if some enterprising soul composes a good syllabus or learning plan for interested adults.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Well, the GAA is highly profitable for one thing (source). It's the waste I cannot abide. It'd be one thing if we were all bilingual but we are not and that is down to the cronyism which is sadly a permanent feature in Dáil Éireann.

And despite the fact that it's profitable, it's subsidized by the government. I don't mind though, because even though it's not important to me (except on rare occasions when Galway makes the final) I understand that for other people, it forms a vital part of their culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I have an issue with paying tax for it when there's no end of better uses for the revenue. I have an issue with it being forced down children's throats with the sole aim of enriching the Irish language lobby . Ireland has been a self-governing republic for nearly 85 years now, 95 if you include the W.T. Cosgrave years. The English aren't responsible for its demise, the Irish language lobby is.

I'm impressed you get away with spouting so much lies, exagerations and frankly bullsh*t. That may earn me a reprimand and if it does so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

The better question for this thread is "Why do you not care about Irish?"

I'm impressed you get away with spouting so much lies, exagerations and frankly bullsh*t. That may earn me a reprimand and if it does so be it.

Care to prove they're lies?

H. H. Asquith

Care to prove they're lies?

You said Irish was a long dead language. How much bigger of a lie can you get?

Well it's not far away.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Beo

Seachtain

Foinse

Ceol Linn

http://bfy.tw/477W
    Beo and Seachtain don't seem to be in print? Foinse failed because not enuogh people would buy it and it then became a weekly freebie in the Irish Independent. Never heard of 'Ceol Linn'.

Can you name an Irish language newspaper that is generally available and funded like a normal paper, that is through advertising peoply buying it.

Does the Irish language community produce any media that's not subsidised for by the state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

It's not bullshít to say Irish is a dying useless language and those who earn a living off the back of it contributing nothing to society (like translators) are parasites. I would say it's factually correct.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

is maith liom cáca milis

Well it's not far away.

Ah look it, its hard to take you seriously. You came on this thread to make a number of outlandish and ridiulous statements such as saying Irish is long dead.

You've had your fun, but no-one takes you seriously. People would take you seriously if you were more measured in what you say but when you say everyone who works in irish is a parasite or irish is long dead people just laugh...at you.

Shep_Dog wrote: »
    Beo and Seachtain don't seem to be in print? Foinse failed because not enuogh people would buy it and it then became a weekly freebie in the Irish Independent. Never heard of 'Ceol Linn'.

Can you name an Irish language newspaper that is generally available and funded like a normal paper, that is through advertising peoply buying it.

Does the Irish language community produce any media that's not subsidised for by the state?

I'd imagine that much like English, most Irish language media is moving online.

Ah look it, its hard to take you seriously. You came on this thread to make a number of outlandish and ridiulous statements such as saying Irish is long dead.

You've had your fun, but no-one takes you seriously. People would take you seriously if you were more measured in what you say but when you say everyone who works in irish is a parasite or irish is long dead people just laugh...at you.

Fortunately, I have no respect for such people especially given that they can't disprove my "ridiculous statements."

H. H. Asquith

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It's not bullshít to say Irish is a dying useless language and those who earn a living off the back of it contributing nothing to society (like translators) are parasites. I would say it's factually correct.

Art is pretty useless to most people. So is French to the majority but not to a smallish minority. By your logic all french or art teachers are parasites enriching themselves with something useless to almost everyone. Equally Latin is completely pointless so you have to agree Latin teachers are parasites too.

I think the problem with this thread is that it has moved from why do you gate irish to should irish be compulsory which are two different issues.

I think the problem with this thread is that it has moved from why do you gate irish to should irish be compulsory which are two different issues.

The issue of people hating Irish is caused by compulsory Irish at school. The two are inextricably linked.

H. H. Asquith

Art is pretty useless to most people. So is French to the majority but not to a smallish minority. By your logic all french or art teachers are parasites enriching themselves with something useless to almost everyone.

Neither art nor French are mandatory. Try another angle.

The issue of people hating Irish is caused by compulsory Irish at school. The two are inextricably linked.

No they aren't. The issue is more related to how Irish is taught. I have a feeling you for example would hate irish regardless if it was compulsory or not. Would you learn it if it was optional? Be honest.

The conversation is currently about minority interests that receive state funding. Also, you don't get to decide what angle I come at anything from. Do you have anything constructive to add?

• Advertisement

No they aren't. The issue is more related to how Irish is taught. I have a feeling you for example would hate irish regardless if it was compulsory or not. Would you learn it if it was optional? Be honest.

No. Several people would I think.

H. H. Asquith

It doesn't matter if they are mandatory or not. Theres still an entire industry around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

In lots of schools they are.

The anti Irish brigade's arguments have time and again been shown to have no merit.

The anti Irish brigade's arguments have time and again been shown to have no merit.

No. They haven't. You're welcome to have a go though.

H. H. Asquith

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    In lots of schools they are.
    Except they aren't mandatory.

Then why are there hundreds of gaelscoils? Why do thousands of kids go to the Gaeltacht every summer? It's experiencing a revival if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Except they aren't mandatory.

I never said they were. In lots of schools they are though.

Then why are there hundreds of gaelscoils? Why do thousands of kids go to the Gaeltacht every summer? It's experiencing a revival if anything.

Ah this old chestnut. The ever promised revival. Gaelscoils have unfortunately been there for decades and will continue to keep going. I would think that the kids are having their summers confiscated from them. It'll help prepare them for later life at least.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

So the current question should be - should minority interests receive state funding? If they shouldn't, thousands of art, sport and cultural programmes
    should be axed.

Advertisement