Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Galego wrote: »
    I truely find odd the relationship between Irish people and the Irish language. You should be a bilingual nation but instead you letting the Irish die. You should take example of the Basque. They revived their language from the ashes and in a space of 20 years it is amazing to see how alive their basque is.

Ah but then unemployable gombeens like Eamon O' Cuiv would get their free handouts and we can't be having that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

I'd rather learn one which might come in useful.

Good on ye, anyway my 3 kids have found being reared through Irish since birth in a non Gaeltacht area very beneficial to date, they have all attended and eventually worked in Gaeltacht areas during their school years. In college their knowledge and love of the language has brought them into the area of primary teaching, media and journalism, socially there is a very active scene for people who are fluent and for people who have school Irish such as myself and it is a pleasure to hear so many of the younger generation conversing in their native tongue at various gatherings and functions and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    That's a matter of opinion. I love the sound of irish, especially Ulster Irish.
    I don't think you'd find many to agree. I learned Ulster dialect in school, with all the gutteral sounds I thought my teeth would fly out my mouth! The "gh" and "ch" sounds genuinely made my throat hurt.

Galego wrote: »
    I truely find odd the relationship between Irish people and the Irish language. You should be a bilingual nation but instead you letting the Irish die. You should take example of the Basque. They revived their language from the ashes and in a space of 20 years it is amazing to see how alive the basque language is now.

Why should we? Because you say so? My language is English.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

jno547 wrote: »
    Good on ye, anyway my 3 kids have found being reared through Irish since birth in a non Gaeltacht area very beneficial to date, they have all attended and eventually worked in Gaeltacht areas during their school years. In college their knowledge and love of the language has brought them into the area of primary teaching, media and journalism, socially there is a very active scene for people who are fluent and for people who have school Irish such as myself and it is a pleasure to hear so many of the younger generation conversing in their native tongue at various gatherings and functions and long may it continue.

Surely then it should be made optional? I mean if there's such an attractive, active scene then it won't have any problems, no?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why should we? Because you say so? My language is English.

So is mine. It's important for some reason that we bow to our Gaelic speaking overlords for some reason.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I don't think you'd find many to agree. I learned Ulster dialect in school, with all the gutteral sounds I thought my teeth would fly out my mouth! The "gh" and "ch" sounds genuinely made my throat hurt.

The gh and ch sounds in Ulster Irish aren't the same to those of Connaught and Munster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Ah but then unemployable gombeens like Eamon O' Cuiv would get their free handouts and we can't be having that.

Another offensive post. You are only on this thread to offend and name call which you are largely succeeding at. I wonder would you get away with these offensive comments if you weren't a mod?

Another offensive post. You are only on this thread to offend and name call which you are largely succeeding at. I wonder would you get away with these offensive comments if you weren't a mod?

I think it's justified when I'm talking about individuals so catastrophically inept that they'd like starve in any other country. But he's related to DeValera so he needs to get special privileges.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

So is mine. It's important for some reason that we bow to our Gaelic speaking overlords for some reason.

Irish, not Gaelic.

Nobody says Germanic or Romance unless they are talking about a group of languages.

• Advertisement

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    The gh and ch sounds in Ulster Irish aren't the same to those of Connaught and Munster..
    Are they any less throat de-skinning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I'd like to ask the anti-Irish posters something. Moving away from the Irish is dead/Irish isn't dead argument for a moment: Do you want Irish to die out? Because it sounds like you would prefer if that happened, and I can't understand that at all.

I'd like to ask the anti-Irish posters something. Moving away from the Irish is dead/Irish isn't dead argument for a moment: Do you want Irish to die out? Because it sounds like you would prefer if that happened, and I can't understand that at all.

I don't want the language mandatory in school. Once that happens and state spending is kept to an appropriate minimum I don't care if it lives or dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

As in Peigin Litir Mor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Surely then it should be made optional? I mean if there's such an attractive, active scene then it won't have any problems, no?

Why oh why should it be made optional??? Why make something which is a part of what we are, Irish, optional, you would rather see part of our culture, our heritage, our music as an optional programme for future students?
    There is an old Irish proverb which translated says "a country without a language is a country without an identity " Is that what we want or should we keep one semblance of pride and maintain one of our few remaining attributes that makes us unique, our language.

Of course not! However, this is what the current system is doing. It's plain as day. It's been in place for nearly a century and all it's done is strangle the language. The only way forward is to separate the language from the state and special interest groups. That way, entrepreneurs, driven by pride and a love of the language will be able to inspire people to actually learn it and create works of art through it. By all means set up a pot of money every year for films, books, websites and the like to be created through grants as long as an eye is kept on it. Forcing kids to learn it and punishing them when the vast majority of them fail is what is killing it. Very soon the damage will be permanent. That's fine, I can live with that. It'd be a shame but people seem to apathetic to give it serious thought.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't want the language mandatory in school. Once that happens and state spending is kept to an appropriate minimum I don't care if it lives or dies.

This, apart from the last line. It' like to see it survive - but I don;t think it's in any danger of dying out. It's status in education won't change that: there are enough people learning it and enthusiastic about it for it to survive.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Why oh why should it be made optional??? Why make something which is a part of what we are, Irish, optional, you would rather see part of our culture, our heritage, our music as an optional programme for future students?
    There is an old Irish proverb which translated says "a country without a language is a country without an identity " Is that what we want or should we keep one semblance of pride and maintain one of our few remaining attributes that makes us unique, our language.

History is optional and I would argue that one's history constitutes a much greater aspect of one's identity that a dead language.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I spent hundreds of hours in school having it shoved down my throat which I would think is experience enough.

Fair enough. You had a bad experience and bear a clear resentment to the language. That's your prerogative.

But put me out of my misery: why the username? Seriously? (Apologies if this has been covered, don't really have enough fúcks to give to search back through this thread on a Friday night).

I think it's justified when I'm talking about individuals so catastrophically inept that they'd like starve in any other country. But he's related to DeValera so he needs to get special privileges.

Ludicrous statement after ludicrous statement. You are funny if nothing else.

• Advertisement

Because it's not for you to say what's important to other people! That's just arrogant.

Also, the "country without a langauge" line has been shown to be offensive bull****. Lots of countries have very rich cultueres and ientities without their own langauge.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Fair enough. You had a bad experience and bear a clear resentment to the language. That's your prerogative.

But put me out of my misery: why the username? Seriously? (Apologies if this has been covered, don't really have enough fúcks to give to search back through this thread on a Friday night).

I don't resent the language. I resent the special interest groups cowering behind it.

H. H. Asquith

Of course not! However, this is what the current system is doing. It's plain as day. It's been in place for nearly a century and all it's done is strangle the language. The only way forward is to separate the language from the state and special interest groups. That way, entrepreneurs, driven by pride and a love of the language will be able to inspire people to actually learn it and create works of art through it. By all means set up a pot of money every year for films, books, websites and the like to be created through grants as long as an eye is kept on it. Forcing kids to learn it and punishing them when the vast majority of them fail is what is killing it. Very soon the damage will be permanent. That's fine, I can live with that. It'd be a shame but people seem to apathetic to give it serious thought.

While this is the most reasonable post you've made on this thread, you're completely contradicting what you said just a few pages back when you were ranting about TnaG, RnaG and Foras.

Because it's not for you to say what's important to other people! That's just arrogant.

Also, the "country without a langauge" line has been shown to be offensive bull****. Lots of countries have very rich cultueres and ientities without their own langauge.

Try telling that to the French! Or English! Their languages are crucial to national identity and projecting that identity around the world.

History is optional and I would argue that one's history constitutes a much greater aspect of one's identity that a dead language.

You can call it a dead language as often as you want, it doesn't make it true.

While this is the most reasonable post you've made on this thread, you're completely contradicting what you said just a few pages back when you were ranting about TnaG, RnaG and Foras.

No, I am not. They are nothing more than a waste of resources. I was advocating the setting of a grant scheme with accountability for the creation of media in Irish and the promotion of the language. The accountability element is key or we end up back where we were before.

H. H. Asquith

Try telling that to the French! Or English! Their languages are crucial to national identity and projecting that identity around the world.

They speak their languages.

H. H. Asquith

No, I am not. They are nothing more than a waste of resources. I was advocating the setting of a grant scheme with accountability for the creation of media in Irish and the promotion of the language. The accountability element is key or we end up back where we were before.

Just a few pages back you were anti any kind of handout...

Strawman arguement - I never argued this.

• Advertisement

Just a few pages back you were anti any kind of handout...

Because it's going into the pockets of government cronies. These grants would be for aspiring artists and entrepreneurs. There is a difference.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement