Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Leinster buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Credit Munster Haka:

552731_664205373716361_4614657248285503676_n.jpg?oh=44dcf811b6766a10f2002d95a1ff237e&oe=5719BDCE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Credit Munster Haka:

552731_664205373716361_4614657248285503676_n.jpg?oh=44dcf811b6766a10f2002d95a1ff237e&oe=5719BDCE

Rob Kearney did it way better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

mfceiling wrote: »
    Mark Robson almost had heart failure yesterday at ringrose making his break. He out paced a second row, stepped inside a defender and threw a middling enough pass to ica. I'll be honest here and say I'd be disappointed if any player from 11 -15 on both sides couldn't have done that.

It wasn't his technical skills that impressed me there, but his decisions. How easy would it have been to take the wrong option of McFadden outside for example? We've seen pros do that time and again before. Yet this kid in his first real game at 13 (he started there once but had to move out to the wing early on due to injuries) made all the right decisions at exactly the right times. You've got to give him credit for that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

molloyjh wrote: »
    It wasn't his technical skills that impressed me there, but his decisions. How easy would it have been to take the wrong option of McFadden outside for example? We've seen pros do that time and again before. Yet this kid in his first real game at 13 (he started there once but had to move out to the wing early on due to injuries) made all the right decisions at exactly the right times. You've got to give him credit for that.

When I first saw the try it was at a weird angle and looked like a forward pass.

Then I saw where he had three options to pass, and imo he made the best decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

awec wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to be more creative than Payne and Henshaw, which must be one of the most boring centre partnerships in world rugby.

McCloskey is a completely different player in a different position. Can't really compare, Ringrose will never be able to bring the power and brute force that McCloskey can for example. The two of them might make a very decent partnership in a few years time!

It's hardly Robbie's fault that Schmidt uses him primarily as a battering ram at 12, a job he's very effective at but one which doesn't allow him to display the breadth of his talents.

Certainly any Connacht fan (with the apparent exception of flouncer who seems to dislike him for some bizarre reason) would tell you he's far from boring and provides moments of magic such as his stepping Earls and offload to Aki for the latter's try in Thomond on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Mark Robson almost had heart failure yesterday at ringrose making his break. He out paced a second row, stepped inside a defender and threw a middling enough pass to ica. I'll be honest here and say I'd be disappointed if any player from 11 -15 on both sides couldn't have done that.

The defender being an openside flanker, who he fixed and stepped perfectly, then took a line to fix the fullback before passing. No it's not the greatest attacking play ever seen on a rugby pitch, but it shows a lot more attacking ability than pretty much most of the other 29 players on the pitch have shown. He isn't the second coming of BOD but if everybody's going to be like "meh well he didn't walk on water to score the try" then the chap hasn't got a chance. He has certainly shown enough to suggest the potential is there to be a serious contender for the 13 jersey in the next few years, something not a lot of others are doing, apart from Henshaw who seems to be a 12 in Irish terms. I think Olding is the only young player coming through who'd be a better option at 13, if he could stay injury free, but both have demonstrated an ability to read the game at speed, something very lacking in Irish rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Long term goal for Joe. Find out how to get Henshaw, Olding, Ringrose and McCloskey in the same team. Fitzgerald and Earls too. 6 into 5 spots. Off you go now Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Long term goal for Joe. Find out how to get Henshaw, Olding, Ringrose and McCloskey in the same team. Fitzgerald and Earls too. 6 into 5 spots. Off you go now Joe

Easy, play McCloskey in the row!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bridge93 wrote: »

Olding can play 10... allegedly.

10 - Olding
    11 - Fitzgerald
    12 - McCloskey
    13 - Ringrose
    14 - Trimble (Earls is injured, probably)
    15 - Henshaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Olding would have made a brilliant 10. A better one than Jackson. It's unfortunate how things have panned out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Easy, play McCloskey in the row!

Are Ulster players not allowed to play in their real positions for Ireland? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

It wouldn't be hard to be more creative than Payne and Henshaw, which must be one of the most boring centre partnerships in world rugby.

Henshaw not a creative player? :pac:

Connacht fans currently erupting somewhere between laughter and rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

its_phil wrote: »

Not really!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Its because being "creative" at international level is an unbelievably difficult thing to achieve. Henshaw and Payne would probably look like gods if they were playing in the Pro12 together, but the only time we've ever seen them as a partnership is at international level, generally the biggest and most high level games any rugby player will ever play. I think they get a hard time to be honest

if i wanted henshaw or toh at full back then toh everytime. way more exciting and defensively very strong. if you wanted henshaw at centre over ronaldson then ronaldson every time. far more exciting and consistently breaks gain lines. so no support from this connacht supporter to your viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

turned off the game. tommy was in such distress couldnt watch it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Ringrose is not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

COMING SOON: Garry Ringrose stars in The Life Of After Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Leinster
    I was just wondering if Shaggy would go to BT sport and team up with BOD on their commentary team.....dunno would it be any good....but I don't have BT sport and it would make my start to 2016 a happy one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

For what it's worth I've no issue with Ruddock at 6 as he is a very good player but if Henderson was fit he slots in there no questions asked. :)

Stander is an 8 I think, he should provide competition to Heaslip.

In other news, Ringrose is miles from a cap despite whatever nonsense BOD was spouting on Twitter. Even ignoring his age and lack of experience he is very small and would be eaten alive at test level. Give him a season or two to hopefully bulk a bit and sort himself at Leinster.

1m85 and 89kg is not 'very small'. Very similar to Fofana and Joseph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Neil Francis
    I didn't realise Ringrose was quite so big until seeing him in the flesh. Looks a lot slighter on TV. He'll be well able for top level rugby.

Is anyone getting a bit of a Madigan feeling about Henshaw? Loads of talent but not really nailing down a fixed position and there are talented players coming through at 12, 13 and 15 meaning he might struggle to make a place his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Is anyone getting a bit of a Madigan feeling about Henshaw? Loads of talent but not really nailing down a fixed position and there are talented players coming through at 12, 13 and 15 meaning he might struggle to make a place his own.

He is 22 and has been first choice for his country for the last year. Madigan is 4/5 years older and has never even been first choice for his province, barring injuries

Whether it's 12. 13 or 15, I suspect he will be one of the first players on the teamsheet when fit.

He is 22 and has been first choice for his country for the last year. Madigan is 4/5 years older and has never even been first choice for his province, barring injuries

Whether it's 12. 13 or 15, I suspect he will be one of the first players on the teamsheet when fit.
    Only if the coach picks in a personnel basis rather than a positional one. Do Schmidt or Lam tend to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Neil Francis
    I'd rather see Henshaw play at 13 where he has a bit more space to run and offload, but he has been better than most could have hoped for at 12. He'll be in the centres for the long term I think. If 12 is to be his position then he has it locked down for the foreseeable even though he's getting pushed by other talented players. He has that extra bit of athleticism which I think McCloskey lacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Leinster

For Connacht? He's a much better centre than Ronaldson and a much better full back than TOH so I assume it's not a case of Henshaw not being able to nail down a spot. Was it not suggested that he himself had asked to play full back?

For Ireland; he is the undisputed first choice 12 and has been for the last year. Joe won't care where Connacht play him, he will continue to pick him in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wouldn't be surprised to see him move to 13 for Ireland though. Could well be his best position, maybe him outside McCloskey will be more attractive to Joe than him inside Payne, although we know Joe is a huge fan of Payne.

Neil Francis
    flouncer wrote: »
    if i wanted henshaw or toh at full back then toh everytime. way more exciting and defensively very strong. if you wanted henshaw at centre over ronaldson then ronaldson every time. far more exciting and consistently breaks gain lines. so no support from this connacht supporter to your viewpoint

This is like break up anxiety. "He's crap so I don't care if he leaves"

If he signs a 3 year contract with Connacht:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

This is like break up anxiety. "He's crap so I don't care if he leaves"

Flouncer has never been a Henshaw fan. So that's not it there.

• Advertisement

Neil Francis
    Flouncer has never been a Henshaw fan. So that's not it there.

You and Flouncer must either live together or be the same person!

Advertisement