Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Leinster buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

flouncer wrote: »
    Thats exactly it. There will be no change. Experienced internationals over youth every time. Ok thats Irish thread stuff.

Trimble is older than Dave Kearney. Murray is the ripe old age of 25 or so. This makes no sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes. Injuries.
    I would guess all, including Joe, and Dave, and his Mum would agree with this.

Ah now, come on, on the basis of current wingers, we have Zebo and Earls, along with Trimble, I'm not sure Kearney will be ahead of any of them at the minute tbh
    flouncer wrote: »
    Thats exactly it. There will be no change. Experienced internationals over youth every time. Ok thats Irish thread stuff. That aside (and here I must apologize for my comments yesterday) I'm wondering at the lack of effectiveness of the Munster backline. Would it be fair to say that presented ball is so slow that zebo/conway/earls are rendered ineffective. I didnt like that bleyendaal wasnt given the kicking duties. Not a confidence vote and unhelpful for his future progression. If you pick him at outhalf you must at least believe in him. That wasnt shown yesterday. Even with Scannell kicking horrendously, Bleyendaal wasnt handed the reins.

Whoever was at nine yesterday for Munster was painfully slow at clearing ruck ball which didn't help Munsters cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah now, come on, on the basis of current wingers, we have Zebo and Earls, along with Trimble, I'm not sure Kearney will be ahead of any of them at the minute tbh

Thats what I (and Dave's Mum) are agreeing with. i.e. only a spate of injuries will bring him back into the reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Just on the stander heaslip comment..
    Both are the form 8's in the country at th moment, there's no denying or debate in that CJ is decent in turn over and ruck defence, Heaslip is a phenoml there!

Carrying wise, Heaslip pretty good, but CJ is just immense in that department!!

Tacking, stats wise they're v similar..

The one thing that seemingly is iverlooked (and the comment above about Heaslip being ib 6N while CJ played pro 12 made me think of it) CJ is 7.. SEVEN YEARS, his junior.. so for future building has certainly a great assett to have in Irish ranks..

Say if needed Cj comes in for autumn and italy/scotland.. keep Heaslip for france/england..

Not exactly a bad back up to have..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Just on the stander heaslip comment..
    Both are the form 8's in the country at th moment, there's no denying or debate in that CJ is decent in turn over and ruck defence, Heaslip is a phenoml there!

Carrying wise, Heaslip pretty good, but CJ is just immense in that department!!

Tacking, stats wise they're v similar..

The one thing that seemingly is iverlooked (and the comment above about Heaslip being ib 6N while CJ played pro 12 made me think of it) CJ is 7.. SEVEN YEARS, his junior.. so for future building has certainly a great assett to have in Irish ranks..

Say if needed Cj comes in for autumn and italy/scotland.. keep Heaslip for france/england..

Not exactly a bad back up to have..

Or howabout he's on the bench and does the last twenty minutes, so we get to rest Heaslip a bit more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

swiwi_ wrote: »
    People come on now. Take off the blue and red glasses and repeat after me

"Ruddock and Stander are both good rugby players".

Sorted.

Thing is nobody said Stander was anything but good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Or howabout he's on the bench and does the last twenty minutes, so we get to rest Heaslip a bit more?

The one not starting would be on the bench obviously:P

just think CJs youth is forgotten a little

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The one not starting would be on the bench obviously:P

just think CJs youth is forgotten a little

I think part of the issue with CJ is that regardless of others views, I would consider Heaslip a leader and a well established one in the Irish set up, CJ has never even been part of an extended squad.

That's a big step up imo.

In Heaslip's favour though if there were any tiebreaker needed : Il Capitano ?

Or will someone else be given gig ?

Jonny ? Seanie ? Murrs ?

In Heaslip's favour though if there were any tiebreaker needed : Il Capitano ?

Or will someone else be given gig ?

Jonny ? Seanie ? Murrs ?

I'd take Best over those three tbh.

• Advertisement

Doesnt last the 80 though. But a contender alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

not that simple. Stander is an 8 who plays 6 sometimes to facilitate others. JS has selected Jordi on the bench before to cover the entire backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Why are people implying that being a Journeyman is a bad thing...

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

which is why Heaslip's ability to go the 80 comes in very useful. Best could be skipper with Heaslip as VC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Thats what I (and Dave's Mum) are agreeing with. i.e. only a spate of injuries will bring him back into the reckoning.
    I agree with dave's mum :-)

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah dude, that's the sort of limp conservative attitude that gets Irish rugby nowhere. From what I've seen he looks very promising. In NZ, that means making at least the training squad. In Ireland, it means waiting a few more years. He looks about the same size as snakey Smith, and he did just fine at international level.

NB: Had a quick look at the pro era (1995 onwards)

Ireland - Luke Fitz 19, Rhys Ruddock 19, Darcy 19
    NZ - Toeava 19, Rococoko 20, Cullen 20, Cane 20, Atiga 20, Collins 20, Guildford 20, Ralph 20, McCaw 20, Mauger 20 (also Lomu 19 1994, Wilson 20 1993, Innes 20 1989, Little 20 1990)

Yis can check it out here.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/youngest_appearance.html?id=3;type=team
    http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/youngest_appearance.html?id=8;type=team
    He has not shown anything so far that would suggest he is ready to jump straight into an Ireland match day squad.

Right now he has potential, that is all.

Age ? 21 for the 6N. He launched Henshaw at the same age.
    Lack of experience. Maybe.
    6'1" and 14st. What are we looking for now ?
    He looks a more darting and creative centre than Henshaw, McCloskey or Payne, with better pace and side step than all.
    It wouldn't be hard to be more creative than Payne and Henshaw, which must be one of the most boring centre partnerships in world rugby.

McCloskey is a completely different player in a different position. Can't really compare, Ringrose will never be able to bring the power and brute force that McCloskey can for example. The two of them might make a very decent partnership in a few years time!

awec wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to be more creative than Payne and Henshaw, which must be one of the most boring centre partnerships in world rugby.

McCloskey is a completely different player in a different position. Can't really compare, Ringrose will never be able to bring the power and brute force that McCloskey can for example. The two of them might make a very decent partnership in a few years time!

Does that not suggest that Stuie at 12 and Rings at 13 is the future then ? The only question is how manage that transition.

(you cant use it not being hard to be more creative than Payne or Henchie as Ringrose' problem though)

He has not shown anything so far that would suggest he is ready to jump straight into an Ireland match day squad.

Right now he has potential, that is all.

Well no, he is quite clearly delivering at Pro12 level. I suspect he'd be just fine in Europe too and I hope we'll get to see that in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Well no, he is quite clearly delivering at Pro12 level. I suspect he'd be just fine in Europe too and I hope we'll get to see that in the coming weeks.

I keep saying it but given that Europe is a write off now for Leinster there is no reason not to give the likes of Ringrose and VDF a shot against really good opposition.

• Advertisement

I keep saying it but given that Europe is a write off now for Leinster there is no reason not to give the likes of Ringrose and VDF a shot against really good opposition.

VdF played both Toulon games. Was part of an overpowered pack but I don't think he looked out of his depth.

Does that not suggest that Stuie at 12 and Rings at 13 is the future then ? The only question is how manage that transition.

(you cant use it not being hard to be more creative than Payne or Henchie as Ringrose' problem though)

It could be the future for sure! But then again, both players could fail to make the step up. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bound to be better to watch than two full backs in the middle of the park though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

As a connacht supporter I shouldnt say this but i totally agree. Henshaw is utterly boring. Boring as a full back, boring as a centre. Look forward to the mccloskey aki centre partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil Francis
    I actually don't really care if Ringrose plays for Ireland this year, so long as he gets serious minutes for Leinster ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ah dude, that's the sort of limp conservative attitude that gets Irish rugby nowhere. From what I've seen he looks very promising. In NZ, that means making at least the training squad. In Ireland, it means waiting a few more years. He looks about the same size as snakey Smith, and he did just fine at international level.

NB: Had a quick look at the pro era (1995 onwards)

Ireland - Luke Fitz 19, Rhys Ruddock 19, Darcy 19
    NZ - Toeava 19, Rococoko 20, Cullen 20, Cane 20, Atiga 20, Collins 20, Guildford 20, Ralph 20, McCaw 20, Mauger 20 (also Lomu 19 1994, Wilson 20 1993, Innes 20 1989, Little 20 1990)

Yis can check it out here.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/youngest_appearance.html?id=3;type=team
    http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/youngest_appearance.html?id=8;type=team

There's also Robbie Henshaw 19, Stuart Olding 19, Iain Henderson 20, Rob Kearney 20, Tommy Bowe 20 etc. I'm sure there's a lot more.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,279 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No front row player plays 80 these days ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mark Robson almost had heart failure yesterday at ringrose making his break. He out paced a second row, stepped inside a defender and threw a middling enough pass to ica. I'll be honest here and say I'd be disappointed if any player from 11 -15 on both sides couldn't have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Ringrose is not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It was really bad defending from Dave Foley in particular. He got himself into an awful position.

But at the same time you have to give the kid credit. I'm sure anyone 11-15 on either side could have done that, but I'd have my doubts whether they would have done that. He kept his cool, he fixed JOD and burnt him on the inside and then he stepped Conway. He could have gone onto finish it himself really but chose the safe option.

It was the type of play that typifies why there's a lot of excitement around him. He isn't particularly big/powerful or quick but he's a really smart player who executes the basics very well. I suppose in that respect he's a coaches dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

mfceiling wrote: »
    Mark Robson almost had heart failure yesterday at ringrose making his break. He out paced a second row, stepped inside a defender and threw a middling enough pass to ica. I'll be honest here and say I'd be disappointed if any player from 11 -15 on both sides couldn't have done that.

That's harsh. Getting around the second row was easy and so was the 2 on 1 but he did well to find Isa, the obvious player to pass to was probably covered.

Advertisement