Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Leinster buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Reddan thought our support was getting short and was worried a out us conceding possession/penalty from keeping the ball then it was definitely the right decision to put the ball to touch. And that's his call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If Reddan thought our support was getting short and was worried a out us conceding possession/penalty from keeping the ball then it was definitely the right decision to put the ball to touch. And that's his call to make.

And he executed quite well put Munster well outside the 22. Playing in front of your own line with the sole intention of running the clock down is a bad idea I'd have thought.

Neil Francis
    And he executed quite well put Munster well outside the 22. Playing in front of your own line with the sole intention of running the clock down is a bad idea I'd have thought.

He was also significantly better than O'Leary today, the more composed player and much faster with delivery which should help see him well ahead come 6N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

letowski wrote: »
    I thought the way Foley set Munster up was a complete shambles. He brings Tyler in a 10 and he barely plays at first reciever and doesnt take any kicks. We dont know how to excecute chances in the 22. Foley is hopeless.
    Foley is a lost cause, he's not the coach we need or want. After 5 straight defeats he has to go, there is simply no other option unless they couldn't care less about the support drying up. Personally I won't be watching another game till hes be handed his p45.

He was also significantly better than O'Leary today, the more composed player and much faster with delivery which should help see him well ahead come 6N.

O'Leary was a one season wonder and that six years ago now. I don't know why there was any expectation around his return, he's just not a good scrum half.

Reddan was a mile better than earlier outings this season though, didn't really do anything daft that I can recall. He seems in great shape fitness-wise for a 35 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

In fairness, he is completely schooling Stander at 8 play today. No contest.

Stander played very well in open play - but Heaslip was outstanding - MotM imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Munster yawwwwwn

Neil Francis
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    Stander played very well in open play - but Heaslip was outstanding - MotM imo

Yup both had good games but Heaslip technically (in my opinion) is a long way ahead, especially at the set piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

awec wrote: »
    As a head coach I am not convinced.

Wasnt aware you were a head coach. Respect.

Foley may or may not be up to it for me. I would be slow to condemn him too harshly - his raw material just isnt up to much.
    Really, Murray is the only widely accepted starter internationally at his disposal. Arguments at best can be made for Earls and Zeebs, but Joe is more or less saying no thanks to both at the moment.
    Its a tough post for Foley and I have some sympathy for him.

Foley may or may not be up to it for me. I would be slow to condemn him too harshly - his raw material just isnt up to much.
    Really, Murray is the only widely accepted starter internationally at his disposal. Arguments at best can be made for Earls and Zeebs, but Joe is more or less saying no thanks to both at the moment.

POM too, I know he's injured but he's a nailed on international starter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Munster Rugby needs to be reminded that this is a professional sport and there is no room for sentiment. Someone in power needs to then grow a set of balls and sack Foley.
    We used to be good at the basics on the game, could go through phase after phase, recruited good players that added value and when we got things wrong we put them right in the next game. The players are demoralised and today's loss isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

This.

He has a tough job with an average squad. It can be frustrating to watch them dominate possession and not look like scoring, however that's a factor of the lack of talent at his disposal I believe rather than a lack of ambition or tactical awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Did Amorsino pull up there at the end (when chasing the intercept) because his hamstring went or because he doesnt give a ****e !!! If it's the latter he needs a kick in the arse ! Sums up the Munster apathy !

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

omerin wrote: »
    Munster Rugby needs to be reminded that this is a professional sport and there is no room for sentiment. Someone in power needs to then grow a set of balls and sack Foley.
    We used to be good at the basics on the game, could go through phase after phase, recruited good players that added value and when we got things wrong we put them right in the next game. The players are demoralised and today's loss isn't acceptable.

The basics have changed I think. The kind of rugby that Foley played at Munster and the kind he seemingly wants them to play now just doesn't work anymore.

Munster do not have a good enough pack to just bash their way all around the field.

There are issues with core skills in terms of catching the ball etc, but I think part of the problem is the game plans are just too basic. Go out, put the ball up the jumper and run over some opposition players seems to be the height of it. Rinse and repeat.

Neil Francis
    MLC61 wrote: »
    This.

He has a tough job with an average squad

Connacht don't have the quality or depth of Munster.

Neil Francis
    POM too, I know he's injured but he's a nailed on international starter.

Ruddock likely ahead given his current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

but they are a better coached side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Ruddock likely ahead given his current form.

Henderon, Ruddock, Stander or SOB at 6 with Henry/TOD at 7. Serious options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Home from the match - that was disappointing

Munster need a backs coach so fast. So stationary on the passes. I can see Zeebs fcuking off to France

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

aimee1 wrote: »
    but they are a better coached side

I think that's the point?

Someone said Foley doesn't have a lot of raw material to work with and shouldn't be criticised as much as he is. The fact that Connacht have less raw material to work with but Lam manages to get more out of them suggests that Foley is not a good coach. Or that a better coach could do more with Munster.

I think that's the point?

Someone said Foley doesn't have a lot of raw material to work with and shouldn't be criticised as much as he is. The fact that Connacht have less raw material to work with but Lam manages to get more out of them suggests that Foley is not a good coach. Or that a better coach could do more with Munster.
    Louis van gaal open to suggestions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I don't think there is a huge amount in it . Maybe Munster have a few players better known than Their Connacht counterparts - Ryan, Keatley. Zebo and Earls for example. None of those on this seasons form represent international standard. Theit counterparts may become international squad members in the next 12 months.

Venjur you are a funny guy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

As the world cup showed, I don't think that international pecking order is much indication of the quality of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Mcgrath
    Best
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Toner/muldowney
    Stander
    Obrien
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton/madigan
    Fitzgerald
    henshaw
    Mcloskey
    Trimble
    Payne

My team for 6 nations opener.

^ Can't believe people are still taking Madigan seriously as an alternative to Sexton.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mcgrath
    Best
    Furlong
    Henderson
    Toner/muldowney
    Stander
    Obrien
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton/madigan
    Fitzgerald
    henshaw
    Mcloskey
    Trimble
    Payne

My team for 6 nations opener.

Is McCloskey not a 12 for Ulster?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCloskey is a 12 and only a 12.

Henderson is long term injured.

Payne is injured and has been since the World Cup with an unknown prognosis.

• Advertisement

Henshaw only plays 12 for Ireland.... doesn't he? So you could just switch them.

Advertisement