Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

joeguevara wrote: »
    Will a loss knock the loser out completely?

No. There is a backdoor for the hurling. The losers join Dublin ,Laois, Wexford, Clare and Cork in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Back door won't be too bad if it ends like that, the more games we play the better we'll get and if we get to Croker we'll be hard to beat.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Because Limerick were undercooked in the semi.
    And Kilkenny had a man sent off in the all ireland thereby inflating the gap.

Confirmation bias much?

Well, i don't believe many in tipperary today are too confident of their chances of victory. Hopeful sure, but definitely not bursting with confidence. I think Kilkenny showed that if you refuse to let limerick dictate the shape and flow of the game you can bend them out of rhythm. But you have to really get at them, especially down that middle spine where they are so strong. Do that and we'll keep it close anyway. Hearing that guy Parkinson tip limerick for an easy win is 99.9% irrelevant but the 0.1% of me that is superstitious like that is cheered up no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭osullic

Well, i don't believe many in tipperary today are too confident of their chances of victory. Hopeful sure, but definitely not bursting with confidence. I think Kilkenny showed that if you refuse to let limerick dictate the shape and flow of the game you can bend them out of rhythm. But you have to really get at them, especially down that middle spine where they are so strong. Do that and we'll keep it close anyway. Hearing that guy Parkinson tip limerick for an easy win is 99.9% irrelevant but the 0.1% of me that is superstitious like that is cheered up no end.
    How many of the forward 6 names are going to do the work necessary to topple Limerick??All are fantastic hurlers but to beat Limerick as Kilkenny did you have to be able to stop the flow of ball from halfback line and even the full back line.. I would be much mor confident with Bonnar and Dan in there. Hopefully the hook and block count of the forwards will be massive and Alan Flynn is able to do what Conor Browne did for Kilkenny last year. I still think the team will not line out as named.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

osullic wrote: »
    How many of the forward 6 names are going to do the work necessary to topple Limerick??All are fantastic hurlers but to beat Limerick as Kilkenny did you have to be able to stop the flow of ball from halfback line and even the full back line.. I would be much mor confident with Bonnar and Dan in there. Hopefully the hook and block count of the forwards will be massive and Alan Flynn is able to do what Conor Browne did for Kilkenny last year. I still think the team will not line out as named.

I don't know is the honest answer. But i do know that the likes of Seamie and John Mac are definitely no shirkers when it comes to chasing and harrying. But if they are chasing shadows, well....we all know how that ends. I'm a Niall O'Meara fan, doesn't get credit for being a very good ball winner, but has a tendency not to track his man back (cf all ireland sf last year). I hope not to see same happen today. If it's an open, low intensity affair like last week's game, I'd fear for us. Waterford are the one team I've seen that really brought the fire and brimstone yesterday, the circumstances are definitely making it harder i think.

• Advertisement

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Because Limerick were undercooked in the semi.
    And Kilkenny had a man sent off in the all ireland thereby inflating the gap.

Confirmation bias much?

well, i don't think we are 14 points better than Kilkenny. If Hogan stays on maybe 6 or 7. The sending off is a lame excuse considering Tipperary beat Wexford with 14 men and 5 points down with a shocking display of refereeing. It was more a case of poor tactics on Cody and Kilkennys part, lumping high ball down on a dominant Tipp back line.

Not sure I agree with Limerick being undercooked either. I think Kilkenny rattled them on the day. They also came out second best to ourselves and Cork in the round-robin. If you start well against them, it puts doubt into them

Great move, lovely goal from sweeney.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

We have been very impressive so far.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    We have been very impressive so far.

As soon as I said that they've gone to sh*te.

Coybig_ wrote: »
    As soon as I said that they've gone to sh*te.

Be quiet!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Paddico

Great first half.
    I expect Clare to be different in the second half

Good start to the second half.

We've played all the football could be further ahead.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good win, thought they played well in the conditions. Clare really poor hard to know how they stay in division 2. Thought we got really sloppy towards the end, couple of really bad mistakes, some showboating and the goal looked really poor. Plenty to work on for, chance of revenge against Limerick next week.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good win, thought they played well in the conditions. Clare really poor hard to know how they stay in division 2. Thought we got really sloppy towards the end, couple of really bad mistakes, some showboating and the goal looked really poor. Plenty to work on for, chance of revenge against Limerick next week.

Give Clare their due, 2021 will be their 5th consecutive year in Division 2. With the pick they have, thats a remarkable achievement. Must be great spirit within the squad. Im a huge fan of the job Colm Collins has done there. He's lead them to two promotions and an All-ireland quarter-final and kept them in Division 2 since 2016. Narrowly lost to Meath last year. Clare got many high profile managers in the past such as John Maughan, but one of their own has done has arguably been their most successful manager certainly since the class of 92 and maybe ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭KIB4Life

Give Clare their due, 2021 will be their 5th consecutive year in Division 2. With the pick they have, thats a remarkable achievement. Must be great spirit within the squad. Im a huge fan of the job Colm Collins has done there. He's lead them to two promotions and an All-ireland quarter-final and kept them in Division 2 since 2016. Narrowly lost to Meath last year. Clare got many high profile managers in the past such as John Maughan, but one of their own has done has arguably been their most successful manager certainly since the class of 92 and maybe ever.

It was probably one of worst performances under Colm Collins, absolutely atrocious could have pulled it out of fire if Tubridy had scored the penalty, but we wouldn’t have deserved it. There was some questionable team selections from a Clare point of view as some of the players that started out there today for Clare aren’t good enough and there was better players left on the bench or not on the panel.

Miles off the pace intensity wise. Seem to lose every single 50/50.

Referee keeping us in it with a few decisions that could easily have gone the other way.

Fairly stiff breeze but Limerick look too powerful. Tipp's half forward line as i feared being outhurled. O Meara, Forde and Keogh have hardly touched the ball. Lets see can Tipp chip away at the deficit with the breeze in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

Even worse than I expected, Ronan cleaned for every high and low ball. Afraid to drop a puck out to midfield. Limerick at ease 8 to 15 . Jake doing well ,hopefully we’ll go long for second half

Good start to second half. Six points can be reeled in with that wind.

Kehoe has got to do better there.

• Advertisement

Sheedy wields the axe and subs Keogh straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What I would give to be there for this finale

After that very early second half burst it has never really happened for Tipp. Just well beaten by a stronger, superior team. Tipp forwards not at the races. Kehoe and Morriss whipped off but none of them played well. O Meara offered nothing in the half forward line. Forde apart from the frees not up to much. Seamie and John McGrath got little or no service in the inside line. Overall it's a comprehensive loss and a disappointing performance that raises more questions than answers. There's no disputing that Limerick have Tipp's number now and if they were to meet later on in Croke Park what would be different?

Game that Limerick had under their belt was worth a lot to them.

Way off the pace intensity wise, so many simple handling errors that Limerick weren't making.

The absolute state of Bubbles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Picked a summery team and played summery tactics - short puck outs and carrying at the back in a gale and very wet conditions. Impossible to carry into contact in those conditions. Mind-blowing tactics.

It's a start - good game under belt - hopefully won't play in as bad conditions again.

The start of a competition is no time for form. Things can only get better, right?

joeguevara wrote: »
    What I would give to be there for this finale

Fair play to him. Shocking carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp 77

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding playing summer hurling out there today. We gave Limerick possession that led to unforced scores through errors a lot as well.
    Obviously none of us know the overall all fitness of players but starting Kehoe and Morris was a big ask two. Maybe one but not both. I feel we can have a say in the championship still but I really hope we avoid a game next weekend with the draw tomorrow

No excuses. That was an abysmal performance. Yes its November, yes Limerick had an extra game under the belt, but that was absolutely shocking. We knew about this championship months ago and we knew it was potentially going to be a slog in wet weather, but we played a game against a strong breeze tonight as if it was a dry day in July. i counted 6 scores conceded from handling errors in the first half. I never thought id see the day Paudie Maher would have a stinker and he's human after all he's allowed one, but it just didnt go for him today.

Regroup and hope for a response is all we can do but im disconsolate after that.

Clare and Laois will definately be playing in next qualifier round. One of Wexford and Dublin will play either Tipp or Cork. The other team will get a bye. Tipp v Wexford or Dublin possibly. Nothing easy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭osullic

Hard to take another beating at the hands of Limerick but have to admire their ability to mix it physically and score given the horrendous conditions.

Hopefully we get better conditions next time we play, I doubt we will play in worse.

Time to reassess and see who we get tomorrow.Dublin could cause us bother.

I suppose it doesn’t matter who get now we have to win every game from here on in.
    Hon Tipp!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement