Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Pogue eile wrote: »
    As you say its almost impossible to say considering its 8 months on, but certainly last year it seemed that O'Brien was favoured against opposition that were expected to go 15v 15 and where the opposition were expected to play with 5 forwards, Flynn got the nod.

Yeah think your right there and then of course Heffernan stepped up for the last 2 games and kinda came of age. I like cadell of what I've seen of the younger crew, will be interesting to see what they go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Yeah think your right there and then of course Heffernan stepped up for the last 2 games and kinda came of age. I like cadell of what I've seen of the younger crew, will be interesting to see what they go with.

Seen Cadell last year and thought he had nowhere near the physicality required but seen him twice this year for Brackens and the year strength and conditioning with the seniors has done him the world of good, looks a fantastic prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Including a county man and from what I hear Knockavilla will be delighted to see the back of them and Cashel should thread very carefully!

Jaysus that's a huge move for the lads involved if it goes through, Cashel for the O'Riain next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Jaysus that's a huge move for the lads involved if it goes through, Cashel for the O'Riain next year.

I think in the long run it will prove very short sighted of Cashel. They have a decent team and some good young talent coming through and now they are going to drop 4 of their own players to accomodate 4 lads that up and left sticks from their home club, no good can possibly come from it.

Seen Cadell last year and thought he had nowhere near the physicality required but seen him twice this year for Brackens and the year strength and conditioning with the seniors has done him the world of good, looks a fantastic prospect.

Glad to hear that, recall them bizarrely taking him off against Cork earlier when he was hurling really well. Don't know what that was about exactly. Also hoping the year will have brought Keogh on too, i love watching this lad when he gets on the ball in space.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear that, recall them bizarrely taking him off against Cork earlier when he was hurling really well. Don't know what that was about exactly. Also hoping the year will have brought Keogh on too, i love watching this lad when he gets on the ball in space.

If I remember correctly he was taken off before half time having already scored a couple of points, I just assumed he was injured but don't recall exactly

If I remember correctly he was taken off before half time having already scored a couple of points, I just assumed he was injured but don't recall exactly

Could have been injury but there wasn't anything obvious and i recall him looking a bit bemused walking off so not really sure, never heard anything said after anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I'd go with James Quigley at full back - i know you'd be throwing him in without even a league game but he is as tough as they come and his distribution is very good. Plus, he's an out and out full back - we haven't had one for a long time - since, Curran really. James Barry was asked to do a job and a good job he did. I think Quigley would put manners on Gillane - he looks to have mastered the dark arts at a young age.

The key battle is obviously the half forward and half back lines - Limerick draw back their half forward line. I don't see any sense in dropping back Brendan on Gillane again. I'd have ronan and brendan following limerick's wings where ever they went. Both Brendan and Ronan are out and out hurlers and will make an impact if those limerick boys draw them out the field. And if they don't drag them i'd back ronan and brendan against hegarty and morrissey any day. But I think dropping back Dan to help out is key to that - it's a role he does for his club to perfection - particularly if Ronan and Brendan follow the two boys. Even if ronan and brendan sit - If limerick drag back their wings for our puck outs it will be costly - as shorts to brendan and ronan on the wings will work in our favour - both capable of long range points and excellent passing.

We have a group of players that seem interchangeable - flynn, heffernan, breen, Quirke, Cadell, Meagher, - i'd give those boys a half or so each and just tell them to run Limerick's big men like kyle hayes, byrnes, and o'dononvan ragged. Non stop runs into the opposition half.

BH
    CB JQ AF
    D MCC
    RM PM BM

N MCG MB

N O’M J MCG Bonner or Bubbles

JF SC

Subs:
    BUBBLES
    QUIRKE
    MORRIS
    CADELL
    KEHOE
    BARRY HEFF FOR MICHAEL BREEN
    Meagher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Cadell was "marking" Robbie O'Flynn in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any news on the footballers.

Team, who's in, who's out ??

• Advertisement

Mark Kehoe
    Jake Morris
    Sean O'Brien are in the team

Brendan at 6

Tipperary team v Limerick:
    Brian Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Barry Heffernan
    Sean O'Brien
    Ronan Maher
    Brendan Maher
    Padraic Maher
    Noel McGrath
    Alan Flynn
    Mark Kehoe
    Jason Forde
    Niall O'Meara
    John McGrath
    Seamus Callanan
    Jake Morris

Tipperary football team v Clare
    Evan Comerford
    Alan Campbell
    Jimmy Feehan
    Colm O'Shaughnessy
    Bill Maher
    Kevin Fahey
    Robbie Kiely
    Steven O'Brien
    Liam Casey
    Jack Kennedy
    Michael Quinlivan
    Conal Kennedy
    Jason Lonergan
    Conor Sweeney
    Brian Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

formerlyET wrote: »
    Tipperary team v Limerick:
    Brian Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Barry Heffernan
    Sean O'Brien
    Ronan Maher
    Brendan Maher
    Padraic Maher
    Noel McGrath
    Alan Flynn
    Mark Kehoe
    Jason Forde
    Niall O'Meara
    John McGrath
    Seamus Callanan
    Jake Morris

Interesting selection! Won't be surprised to see Ronan and Heffernan switch during the game. Sheedy has gone for aerial ability in that half back line. Guessing the thinking with Flynn is to man mark Cian Lynch? No Bubbles or Bonner either in the forwards.

Strange enough not seeing the likes of Bubbles, Bonnar, Breen, Dan Mc or seamus Kennedy. Think there's a few of them not 100% so no point risking them. First round of championships under lights in November!! Hard to know what to expect.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Surprised and excited that they've gone for so many sharp shooters up front without a balance of work horses - I always feel better when Dan is playing, about the balance of the side. But these must be the form guys - we'll find out soon enough.

I'd be worried about the Heffernan/O'Brien axis - not sure they've played much together. We're about to find out.

I don't buy the hype that it's all about the direct route again - Championship is too short for it to matter in my book. But Munster finals are nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Where i could see Limerick getting on top is in their half back line as i've never really rated Niall O Meara and Jason Forde isn't the most mobile of players. O Meara can do a few good things (goal in last years final prime example) but he's far too inconsistent and can go missing for large larts of a game. That may be harsh but that's how i see him anyway. Not sure that Tipp half forward line could dominate their opponents. Byrnes, Hannon and O Donovan are a very physical and powerful half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Strange they haven’t named any subs unlike the footballers. Most surprised to see Sean O’Brien named, he must have improved dramatically since last I saw him.
    I think there may be a couple of changes prior to throw in Sunday.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Surprised and excited that they've gone for so many sharp shooters up front without a balance of work horses - I always feel better when Dan is playing, about the balance of the side. But these must be the form guys - we'll find out soon enough.

I'd be worried about the Heffernan/O'Brien axis - not sure they've played much together. We're about to find out.

I don't buy the hype that it's all about the direct route again - Championship is too short for it to matter in my book. But Munster finals are nice!

I like that we have serious goal threat in there anyway. Not sure what the shape will be but i hope they get the service they need to do some damage and we know limerick might have a weak spot there. In fairness, i think limerick are a cracking team and worthy favourites. 0-36 is a phenomenal score any match but i can't recall them creating a single goal chance. I hope we can manage at least a couple, I'm certain we'regoing to need them!

Ompala wrote: »
    Interesting selection! Won't be surprised to see Ronan and Heffernan switch during the game. Sheedy has gone for aerial ability in that half back line. Guessing the thinking with Flynn is to man mark Cian Lynch? No Bubbles or Bonner either in the forwards.

Would say either brendan or ronan will drop back. Brendan did it last year against gillane so might do so again, but have liked ronan playing deep so either or ok with me. Barry Heff has the height and physique for Kyle Hayes anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Kevrio1989

Interesting that we've held back naming the bench. No harm in keeping the Limerick lads guessing and it wont give their extensive team of analysis lads the chance to do a proper brief on the squad. Wouldnt be surprised if we made a chance or two before throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Assume the bonner must be injured, was playing well for club last month by all accounts so thought he'd definitely be in the 26. Ger Browne and Cian Darcy will also be a bit disappointed I'd say. It's a hard match day squad to break into.

Yeah Bonnar, Browne, Darcy and Kennedy not even in the squad. Kennedy is injured AFAIK, not sure on the others.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bonnar meant to be injured and Dan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bonnar meant to be injured and Dan also.

According to a reply to the tweet above, bonner is injured. Not much being reported on it but is a huge blow. Every bookie has us as underdogs and the GAA betting thread has Limerick - 2 points.

Interestingly Anthony Daly is tipping us to win. Its the first time that lockdown has impacted me in a major way and am devastated that I won't be there. GWAN THE PREMIER

https://youtu.be/Clrk9L6Cc5U

joeguevara wrote: »
    According to a reply to the tweet above, bonner is injured. Not much being reported on it but is a huge blow. Every bookie has us as underdogs and the GAA betting thread has Limerick - 2 points.

Interestingly Anthony Daly is tipping us to win. Its the first time that lockdown has impacted me in a major way and am devastated that I won't be there. GWAN THE PREMIER

We are up against is but the underdog's tags suits us. Don't forget also, Cork and Kilkenny beat Limerick last year and we beat them in the round-robin stage. We are a better side than Cork and Kilkenny but the common trend was to break Limerick from getting into a rhythm from the start and get in their faces. I refuse to believe that the Munster final last year highlighted a gulf between the sides. if so, why did Kilkenny - a team we beat in the All ireland final by 14 points - beat them so?
    Admittedly id be concerned for O'Brien in the corner and id have no doubt Limerick will target him if he does start. They'd be foolish not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

We are up against is but the underdog's tags suits us. Don't forget also, Cork and Kilkenny beat Limerick last year and we beat them in the round-robin stage. We are a better side than Cork and Kilkenny but the common trend was to break Limerick from getting into a rhythm from the start and get in their faces. I refuse to believe that the Munster final last year highlighted a gulf between the sides. if so, why did Kilkenny - a team we beat in the All ireland final by 14 points - beat them so?
    Admittedly id be concerned for O'Brien in the corner and id have no doubt Limerick will target him if he does start. They'd be foolish not to.

Because Limerick were undercooked in the semi.
    And Kilkenny had a man sent off in the all ireland thereby inflating the gap.

Confirmation bias much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

joeguevara wrote: »

On the GAA Hour podcast both Brian Carrol (was going for Limerick but changed his mind) and Cheddar Plunkett are going for Tipp. Wooly laughed at them and said Tipp won't get within five points and he'll pull them up on it next week..

I expect a strong Tipp performance today but to come up a little short. Limerick to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

On the GAA Hour podcast both Brian Carrol (was going for Limerick but changed his mind) and Cheddar Plunkett are going for Tipp. Wooly laughed at them and said Tipp won't get within five points and he'll pull them up on it next week..

I expect a strong Tipp performance today but to come up a little short. Limerick to win.

Will a loss knock the loser out completely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement