Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

Still not many channels with guide listings showing. so going to trawl through the internet again to set up internal grabbers and xlmtv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BopperSnr wrote: »
    Still not many channels with guide listings showing. so going to trawl through the internet again to set up internal grabbers and xlmtv.

What way are you setup? I've found librelec was really sluggish due to a class 4 SD card. And this was particularly noticeable with the EPG not populating. When using a Class 10, it's hasn't needed anything.

i am running libreelec off an micro SD card. must check the class I am using. I am currently set up using the OTA grabbers (cant remember the exact names, something like EIT and the other is a SKY UK one in the list available in the TVHEADEND 4.2 webgui. so you think the type of card may be stopping the EPG from populating? interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

TVHeadend populates the EPG twice a day by default (At around 2am and 2pm I think) so maybe wait to see if it does its thing automatically. I've found the 'trigger now' button does nothing. I can't find a way to change those default times but I haven't looked very hard in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jakdublin wrote: »
    TVHeadend populates the EPG twice a day by default (At around 2am and 2pm I think) so maybe wait to see if it does its thing automatically. I've found the 'trigger now' button does nothing. I can't find a way to change those default times but I haven't looked very hard in fairness.

after using 'trigger now' clear the data from the live tv settings in kodi, see if that works

you can add/change that default config file for the times, just follow the same format as used. i added 8pm, well four mins past :pac:
    ie - 4 20 * * *

• Advertisement

Got EPG working. followed some steps here:
    http://openelec.tv/forum/148-usage/80053-epg-for-tvheadend
    Try this!
    With asynchronous data transfer enabled
    Go to settings -> TV -> "expert level" Guide -> and disable "don't cache in local database"

Now to get PICONS corrected. they are all mixed up and most missing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Is there a market for these guys?
    I have one I used last xmas for 3-4 days after the group buy here.
    I got a message about filesystem corruption and I just didn't bother with it since as i wasn't using it and put it back in the box until i stumbled upon it this morning [forgot i had it :)]
    I understand it just needs a reset but i just didn't get round to getting a micro SD card for the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gillamandango

Can anyone confirm that the above tutorial is how you get android on the Wetek Play box? I have one of these and don't use the DVB anymore so just want it to run android as updating to latest openelec some of my repositories wont work anymore and thinking that just using android is better for simplified use. Thanks

Edit: I found this which helps me http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=discussion/12545/android-15-07-2015-wetek-os-v1-1-5-for-wetek-play

Also can users confirm do they keep openelec as the main and put android on the mSD card? Also what is the method for booting one over the other on startup? I am searching the threads but would like a definitive answer as I am so rusty on the methods.

Can anyone confirm that the above tutorial is how you get android on the Wetek Play box? I have one of these and don't use the DVB anymore so just want it to run android as updating to latest openelec some of my repositories wont work anymore and thinking that just using android is better for simplified use. Thanks

Edit: I found this which helps me http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=discussion/12545/android-15-07-2015-wetek-os-v1-1-5-for-wetek-play

Also can users confirm do they keep openelec as the main and put android on the mSD card? Also what is the method for booting one over the other on startup? I am searching the threads but would like a definitive answer as I am so rusty on the methods.

Otherway around I think , you can't run android from msd. For what it's worth I think 99% of us have ditched Openelec now as it's not been updated in many months and it's not looking like it will be either. Have a look at libreelec you can test it and boot it from a msd and will likely fix any issues you had in open elec. As far as I know oyu can even update openelec to libreelec

Basically libreelec is the old Openelec team.

As for booting method, remove the msd when you want to boot off nand. That said I think with the later versions of android on the nand you had to hold a button down or something on booting it and could leave the card in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I now use Libreelec exclusively on the Nand and don't use any mSD cards anymore. I've trimmed everything down to the four or five add-ons I actually use, and kept the default Kodi confluence skin and haven't had a freeze or crash for a couple of months. It's the most stable this box has ever been for me and records live TV with no problems. Best thing I bought in 2016, although it's been a journey to get to where I am now with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gillamandango

Thanks for the replys lads. I flashed Libreelec 7.0.2 to NAND and all works flawlessly. However, I want to play around with mSD and seem to be going round in circles. If my presumptions are incorrect, can someone correct me?

1. Android has to be on NAND, Libreelec on mSD?
    2. Latest build for android is - Android Update v.1.1.7?

How do I use the mSD card method? Do I have to use Disk Formatter-> Disk Imager->Write to mSD, put in Wetek and Boot?

I tried using the “LibreELEC USB-SD Creator” and the "LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.0.2.img.gz" file on mSD. I put that in my wetek and let it run but it just hung, said bad installation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Hello folks!

I have finally setup one Wetek Play box to work in conjunction with an Amazon Fire TV for an adjoining room. Using default Openelec, tvHeadend and attempting to use Oscam.

Managed to have the Amazon Fire TV connected but with only one satellite feed I could only watch on one box at a time (or if the channels were on the same mux I believe?)
    Anyway, I've connected in a second satellite feed to the Wetek Play - how can I watch the Wetek Play in the living room and the Amazon Fire TV in the sitting room at the same time? What changes do I need to make in tvheadend? I have configured the second tuner to be the same as the first, but I don't know if that is right?

Also, if anyone at all can offer help with oscam on a N: line it would be really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

Haven't received my wetek play 2 yet but am I right in saying that most people when setting it up, simply use an SD card for LibreElec and then dual boot into that or the Wetek Android setup?

I am really struggling to find guides, I am coming from the RaspPi where there were endless step by step guides.

Has anyone got any guides or tips that I should follow as soon as I get it? I got the cable tuner as my apartment only has cable, so not sure if there is much I can do with that really.

Found this guide for install on MicroSd which is very easy obviously. https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/static.wetek.com/storage/tutorial/pdf/547dd183-f450-4ab1-b908-2abf25fc7e5d-WeTekPlayHowtoinstallLinuxXBMCorOpenELEConMicroSD.pdf

Hello folks!

I have finally setup one Wetek Play box to work in conjunction with an Amazon Fire TV for an adjoining room. Using default Openelec, tvHeadend and attempting to use Oscam.

Managed to have the Amazon Fire TV connected but with only one satellite feed I could only watch on one box at a time (or if the channels were on the same mux I believe?)
    Anyway, I've connected in a second satellite feed to the Wetek Play - how can I watch the Wetek Play in the living room and the Amazon Fire TV in the sitting room at the same time? What changes do I need to make in tvheadend? I have configured the second tuner to be the same as the first, but I don't know if that is right?

Also, if anyone at all can offer help with oscam on a N: line it would be really helpful!

did you try it again? that should work i think.

you're right about the muxes, but there's no way of knowing what channels you can view unless you remember/look them up. the enigma images will greyout unavailable channels in that scenario which is far better

oscam, try one of the forums geared towards linux satellite boxes or someone might pm you on it.

Raoul wrote: »
    Haven't received my wetek play 2 yet but am I right in saying that most people when setting it up, simply use an SD card for LibreElec and then dual boot into that or the Wetek Android setup?

I am really struggling to find guides, I am coming from the RaspPi where there were endless step by step guides.

most here use libreelec/openelec on nand or an enigma image off an sd, few android users, well that be posting regular anyway.

a poster here - tommy something i think - has made a guide for enigma. what do you need to setup?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    most here use libreelec/openelec on nand or an enigma image off an sd, few android users, well that be posting regular anyway.

a poster here - tommy something i think - has made a guide for enigma. what do you need to setup?

I don't even know yet to be honest, just don't want to have to do all my research on xmas day ha.

I will probably end up setting up enigma on kodi (I have other addons that I want on kodi). But I also probably want one or two android apps at the start (eventually I might find no need for the android part.) So, I will probs go with LE on the sd and dual boot.

:D yeah i'd stick with android then for over xmas with kodi on that. it'll be less hassle & leave the other stuff to new year.

i think the tv app on android with play2 is better than the first but not sure if cable will work

batistuta9 wrote: »
    :D yeah i'd stick with android then for over xmas with kodi on that. it'll be less hassle & leave the other stuff to new year.

i think the tv app on android with play2 is better than the first but not sure if cable will work

Do you mean kodi on android (spmc) or libreelec?

android, you can just use kodi too instead of spmc.

batistuta9 wrote:
    you're right about the muxes, but there's no way of knowing what channels you can view unless you remember/look them up. the enigma images will greyout unavailable channels in that scenario which is far better

did you try it again? that should work i think.

oscam, try one of the forums geared towards linux satellite boxes or someone might pm you on it.

Yea I got it working! Delighted with myself! I have a soft spot for Kodi/Openelec as I've been using it since Dharma so I thought I'd keep it in the family.

I spent a few hours on oscam and it broke my heart yesterday. I'll take another look tonight for some more open heart surgery!

Right, so I actually got this earlier than expected. Couple of questions that I can't find the answer to.

How do I turn on SSH and Samba? Been trying to transfer files through winscp. In normal libreelec Kodi, I can find the setting to turn on SSH and Samba but I can't see it on the WeOS version of Kodi. At the moment, it just refuses the connection.

How do I update that version of Kodi to the latest LE or...is this not even LE?

The only channels it seems to pick up are locked channels and not the free to air channels that I get on my TV through my normal cable connection. How can I unlock this? This is through the WeTV scanner.

Where can I find the TVHeadend repo in this version of Kodi?

Is there a workaround to get sky go working on this?

Sorry, they are total noob questions but I am finding it hard to see anyone solutions from the Wetek forums and in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

How do I turn on SSH and Samba? Been trying to transfer files through winscp. In normal libreelec Kodi, I can find the setting to turn on SSH and Samba but I can't see it on the WeOS version of Kodi.
    Where can I find the TVHeadend repo in this version of Kodi?
    Is there a workaround to get sky go working on this?
    ssh and samba services are part of the underlying linux OS in libreelec,
    not part of Kodi itself. They don't exist in the same way in WeOS.
    You can't use winscp without ssh working.

You should be able to download an android filesharing app to allow access to the box over samba
    - Here's one example - I can't recommend one over any other.
    You might have to search around to find where the configuration is held on WeOS.

There is no tvheadend on WeOS. Even if you got the service installed,
    the WeOS kernel doesn't support the tuner in a way that tvheadend can use.
    I've seen a cyanogenmod based build that might work that way,
    but haven't tried it myself - I'm happy enough with LibreElec.
    Might give it a go over Christmas though, as it would be nice to have Netflix on the box too!

I don't have a Sky subscription myself, so I can't make any suggestions about that end of it. It should definitely be possible.

niallb wrote: »
    ssh and samba services are part of the underlying linux OS in libreelec,
    not part of Kodi itself. They don't exist in the same way in WeOS.
    You can't use winscp without ssh working.

You should be able to download an android filesharing app to allow access to the box over samba
    - Here's one example - I can't recommend one over any other.
    You might have to search around to find where the configuration is held on WeOS.

There is no tvheadend on WeOS. Even if you got the service installed,
    the WeOS kernel doesn't support the tuner in a way that tvheadend can use.
    I've seen a cyanogenmod based build that might work that way,
    but haven't tried it myself - I'm happy enough with LibreElec.
    Might give it a go over Christmas though, as it would be nice to have Netflix on the box too!

I don't have a Sky subscription myself, so I can't make any suggestions about that end of it. It should definitely be possible.
    Cheers Niall. So I have spent ages doing stuff that I am not able to do anyway :D:D.

Any idea about the locked channels? What I have is actually a very basic cable that is from Virgin where I get about 16 channels (campus accommodation). Any ideas on how I get the tuner to work with this? At the moment I get about 90 locked channels and none of the channels which I get on my TV work on the box even when I choose FTA only.

The problem with the skygo app is that it detects that I am using a HDMI out and therefore is not compatible. I can't get it on a web browser either as I can't install microsoft silverlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrwish

Any idea about the locked channels? What I have is actually a very basic cable that is from Virgin where I get about 16 channels (campus accommodation). Any ideas on how I get the tuner to work with this?

These Virgin Media channels are analogue aren't they? They won't tune on the Wetek receiver which is digital only - all of the digital stuff is encrypted. :( It'd be logical and useful if at some point Virgin replaced the basic FTA analogue service with a digital version that could be tuned directly on TVs/set top boxes, but I doubt they ever will!

These boxes are really decent though. I've the first edition one and it sits under my TV running LibreElec, streaming channels from my PC with a few tuner cards in it running TVHeadend.

I like that it can output 1080i50 and let the TV deinterlace the picture, the video quality from the box is really nice.

mrwish wrote: »
    These Virgin Media channels are analogue aren't they? They won't tune on the Wetek receiver which is digital only - all of the digital stuff is encrypted. :( It'd be logical and useful if at some point Virgin replaced the basic FTA analogue service with a digital version that could be tuned directly on TVs/set top boxes, but I doubt they ever will!

These boxes are really decent though. I've the first edition one and it sits under my TV running LibreElec, streaming channels from my PC with a few tuner cards in it running TVHeadend.

I like that it can output 1080i50 and let the TV deinterlace the picture, the video quality from the box is really nice.

Oh FFS, you are right actually. Ohwell :D:D.

I was running Kodi on it and I am not sure if it is significantly faster than the Rpi3 I had (which I found was sluggish at times). I will have to use it a bit more to find out.

So it seems for my current living situation, I am just going to have to use it as a Kodi box. :).

Getting skygo working on it would be amazing though. I see that on the Wetek forum lots of people have sky go Germany working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

Oh FFS, you are right actually. Ohwell :D:D.

So it seems for my current living situation, I am just going to have to use it as a Kodi box. :).

You could use an Analogue USB tuner in tvheadend if you went back to libreelec,
    thought that would leave you needing to find a sky go plugin for kodi...

niallb wrote: »
    You could use an Analogue USB tuner in tvheadend if you went back to libreelec,
    thought that would leave you needing to find a sky go plugin for kodi...
    Think I would prefer to leave the channels on the TV and then just try and find out how to get sky go working.

Cheers lads :)

Does anyone have a decent Openelec backup with tvHeadEnd and oscam I can steal? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks is there anyone here who might be able to get my Wetek up and running?

I've tried a few times and failed miserably, it got to the point of no return and it's now sitting in a press gathering dust.

I'm in Wexford and I'll sort someone out for their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I was running Kodi on it and I am not sure if it is significantly faster than the Rpi3 I had (which I found was sluggish at times). I will have to use it a bit more to find out.
    Have you tried running WEplayer which is the Wetek fork of Kodi that comes pre-installed on the Play 2? That's what I use and find it very responsive.

I have also tried LibreElec installed on a Samsung class 10 SD card but found it to be a bit laggy compared to WEplayer on android.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

On TvHeadend, does anyone have like 2-3 seconds of buffering when changing the channel?

I have connected the Fire Tv to use the second tuner and it is near immediate.

Any thoughts anyone?

Edit: It's more like 7-8 seconds actually :(

Advertisement