Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options
  • 04-12-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭

Just starting this tread as there are quite a few of us expecting delivery over the next few days. It'll be interesting to see how users find this box. Please post any tips / feedback you feel will be beneficial.

Allyall, perhaps you can post how you un-bricked yours for future users who will no doubt follow in that path while they delve into the darkness ;)

Comments

This is how I recovered mine after I soft bricked it :o

2 minute job http://tutorials.wetek.com/tutorial/11

Same process can be used to flash android to nand , files you need for that are here https://wetek.com/downloads it's the 1.1.5 one

I haven't had a lot of time to mess around with either os but I have a multitude of issues I need to go back and look at. One thing if you are considering flashing android is the need for a mouse, the remote is not optimised for it , I found my self stuck trying to do something and had to plug in a mouse to continue within a menu.

I'll be back later with my issues :pac:

Edit: Oh if you press the mouse button on the remote it behaves like a wii controller , you can move the pointer around the screen :eek: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone running android and have a plex app installed?

Doesn't work at all, sees the library but when i try to play anything all i get is the spinney circle. It's a paid version off the app I'm using. Works on all other devices :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

just turned mine on

just set it up using ww.tvaddons.ag/fusion-installer-kodi/ to have it the same as my phone and see how it works... works lovely

will be interested to see what others do with it

Just plugged mine in for first time late last night. Not a good idea. This baby needs some work.

First off....a poxy boot loop. If anyone else sees this, do not panic. 5 screws on the base, remove them and pop off the top case tilted up from the rear of the unit, taking care as the wifi cable is connected to bot top and bottom case.

Once opened, you will see a full size SIM card holder containing a security SIM. mine was held in place with sellotape. Remove this and then push card to eject and then reinsert. That's it. Unit will now boot directly to a kodi.

Will have a go at SAT configure today. If you are going down the TVheadend route, you'll need a laptop to FTP the box during the process. There's a few hoops that need to be jumped thru. Plenty of support threads on the WETEK forum.
    Off to work now. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Mine came with VDR preinstalled, but I removed it and set up tvheadend because I couldn't get VDR to work with other devices.
    Tvheadend is now streaming successfully to KODI on raspberry pi and Amazon firetv stick.
    It's also feeding well to an ipad 2 (SD channels only - HD has no video) and a few phones.
    Nexus 7 2013 had difficulty playing the streams in KODI, but no problems with tvhclient.
    I added a USB DVB-T tuner for saorview channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

niallb wrote: »
    Mine came with VDR preinstalled, but I removed it and set up tvheadend because I couldn't get VDR to work with other devices.
    Tvheadend is now streaming successfully to KODI on raspberry pi and Amazon firetv stick.
    It's also feeding well to an ipad 2 (SD channels only - HD has no video) and a few phones.
    Nexus 7 2013 had difficulty playing the streams in KODI, but no problems with tvhclient.
    I added a USB DVB-T tuner for saorview channels.
    Just a quick one... If I have tvHeadend on the WeTek in the living room, can I view the channels coming in on a FireTV stick in the bedroom?

Just a quick one... If I have tvHeadend on the WeTek in the living room, can I view the channels coming in on a FireTV stick in the bedroom?

That's exactly what I'm doing.
    You'll need adb enabled on the firetv stick so that you can sideload either KODI with the tvheadend plugin, or else tvhguide. Configure the plugin with the IP address of your wetek play instead of the local 127.0.0.1

I found KODI crashed without warning once for me on Sunday,
    but it hasn't been happening regularly.
    Try and have the wetek wired if at all possible.

Has anyone had any luck with either Plex within android or PleXbmc in Kodi ?

The app it self works in android , just doesn't play anything sits there with a buffer circle spinning and no error returned (it's a paid licensed app, not side loaded etc) removed it changed account and installed the standard one which should play 1 minute of video without paying for it and same thing , within Kodi I can see my server by adding it in UpnP sources, but once I went the plexbmc route " get unable to find plex server errors, wasn't able to find the logs to get any more detail. I'll have another look later. had the 2 add-ones and amber skin applied and necessary options checked before the skin was set to plex mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

No picture at all from my box when I plugged it in!

After initial panic, turns out it was a faulty HDMI cable. The unit shipped with a HDMI cable which I thought was a nice touch, but seems to be very low quality.

Cable swapped, OpenElec config screen appears and now the fun begins...

• Advertisement

No picture at all from my box when I plugged it in!

After initial panic, turns out it was a faulty HDMI cable. The unit shipped with a HDMI cable which I thought was a nice touch, but seems to be very low quality.

Cable swapped, OpenElec config screen appears and now the fun begins...

I spent an hour on openelec configuring stuff including TVheadend and then got the urge to undo it all and flash Wetek Android 1.1.6 to NAND. Looks good with SAT TV a sinch to setup. I'm gonna flash a MSD card to boot openelec on power-up. Just for the craic!

Just FYI, if you are going down the WETEK Android flash & Wetek Theatre for TV, you will need to disable subtitles for the FTA channels in settings as they are on by default.

Mine is the DVB-T version, for use with Saorview.

Successfully running with TVheadend, issue encountered as previous poster already said, was that VDR was enabled by default, so once I disabled that, configuration was straightforward. Also updated to latest version to OpenElec before configuring.

Soarview works fine on HD and SD channels. 7-Day EPG populated in a few minutes. Recording also no issues.

initial impressions are good - box is well up to the job - someone had mentioned this may be a little slower than the Pi2 but that is not the case. It runs fast, even when playing 1080p live TV. Running thru the menu with the video playing in the background was smooth, unlike the Pi2, which can stutter under load like this. Remote feels good, but out of the box, some of the function keys are unmapped, so that's another chore for later.

Did not test wireless yet, or try to add external storage for recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Anybody have any problems with Live TV?

Every now and then when watching Live TV via TVheadend, the screen will go black. I can still see the menus etc and hear the sound but the video is black.

If I change the channel it will work ok for a few minutes then go black again, a restart fixes the issue for a few hours or days.

marathont wrote: »
    Anybody have any problems with Live TV?

Every now and then when watching Live TV via TVheadend, the screen will go black. I can still see the menus etc and hear the sound but the video is black.

If I change the channel it will work ok for a few minutes then go black again, a restart fixes the issue for a few hours or days.

Not seen that exactly, but was seeing the screen jump into a different resolution on playback - setting "Sync playback to display" in Settings/Video/Playback seems to have fixed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've been trying for the past while to get tvheadend working, can't for the life of me Gert it to find any channel. Anything I may be doing slightly wrong?

RossieMan wrote: »
    I've been trying for the past while to get tvheadend working, can't for the life of me Gert it to find any channel. Anything I may be doing slightly wrong?

Are you able to connect to the service using http://<IP address>:9981 (from a PC ) ?

Yep no issues there. It's when I add astra, no channels are found.

I only spent a short while at it, so I may have to try again tomorrow after work.

Make sure you enable the card in the configuration, and add the Astra network to the tuner you have connected. There are a few steps before it'll work!

Yep have all that done, properly i think. Have done it before and never had a problem. Must be something small I'm missing this time.

Have you both tuner cables connected?
    I only had one and I needed to swap it over before the channels came up.
    I'm now connected to the one nearest the USB ports on the wetek.

I've got the first listed dvb adapter enabled, and the second one DISABLED.
    My freesat network containing the astra muxes is selected under satconfig "Universal LNB Only".

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

When you have the network and adapter setup you can go into the status tab and click on the adapter and it should show you signal strength. That's how I discovered I had the wrong tuner connected.

When you have the network and adapter setup you can go into the status tab and click on the adapter and it should show you signal strength. That's how I discovered I had the wrong tuner connected.
    That's a handy tab alright.
    I found while I was setting it up that the signal strength only showed up when it had actually started scanning, so don't give up if there's no reading there at first.

niallb wrote: »
    That's a handy tab alright.
    I found while I was setting it up that the signal strength only showed up when it had actually started scanning, so don't give up if there's no reading there at first.
    Yep, same thing here when I was setting up TVheadend. No activity until scan initiates and it takes a good while compared to the option below.

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a look when I get home!

Yeah, I'm connected via the inner F connector too, for FTA with Wetek Android & Wetek Theatre. If its just FTA with a hassle free setup anyone prefers, it's a breeze.

dodzy wrote: »
    ... If its just FTA with a hassle free setup anyone prefers, it's a breeze...
    Absolutely, but if you want to be able to use the tuners on other devices attached to your network, setting up tvheadend is worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Don't suppose anyone who got the recent wetek deal (dvb-s version) has decided to sell? If so please pm me, I'll pay the price you paid for it.

Finally got tvheadend sorted yesterday, cheers to the lads who helped me out. It was that my tuners weren't fully connected to the box, simply screwed them in a little more and its working perfectly. Threw the black box build on for.now, may play with engima at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Finally got tvheadend sorted yesterday, cheers to the lads who helped me out. It was that my tuners weren't fully connected to the box, simply screwed them in a little more and its working perfectly. Threw the black box build on for.now, may play with engima at the weekend.

fair play
    im using enigma2 on sd card here,
    not tried the openelec side in ages,
    any tips on setting up tvheadend

GY A1 wrote: »
    fair play
    im using enigma2 on sd card here,
    not tried the openelec side in ages,
    any tips on setting up tvheadend

Whats the story with Enigma? Is it faster, or offer more functionality than Openelec? The stock Openelec is working fine but hate to think I'm missing something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

WeTek -S2 I would be interested in purchasing if someone wants to sell at what you paid for it or swap for Factory refurbished. Cutting-Edge BILLION - BIPAC 7800N - MODEM ROUTER, DUAL WAN, GIGABIT -252 quid

Advertisement