Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I found my remote. But I decided to install librelec from https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

However every time I try to boot from the image I doesn't get very far.
    Seems to be unable to load the kernel modules correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I found my remote. But I decided to install librelec from https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

However every time I try to boot from the image I doesn't get very far.
    Seems to be unable to load the kernel modules correctly

Any chance you downloaded the wrong ROM - maybe for the later Wetek box?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Any chance you downloaded the wrong ROM - maybe for the later Wetek box?

I tried again by copying the tar file using Samba to the update folder and the process was flawless. Happy now with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Hi.I'm trying to install LibreElec to nand on a Wetek play from the recovery menu but get a installation aborted error every time.
    I get the same result with the rescue file.
    I've formatted the micro sd(4gb) and dragged extracted the files across,pressed the reset button and applied power until the android character appears.Everything seems to go fine until the last minute.
    Any ideas?
    I don't seem to have any OS on the box now.Tried factory reset ,installing from a USB stick.Out of options now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hi.I'm trying to install LibreElec to nand on a Wetek play from the recovery menu but get a installation aborted error every time.
    I get the same result with the rescue file.
    I've formatted the micro sd(4gb) and dragged extracted the files across,pressed the reset button and applied power until the android character appears.Everything seems to go fine until the last minute.
    Any ideas?
    I don't seem to have any OS on the box now.Tried factory reset ,installing from a USB stick.Out of options now.

Get zip file here
    https://libreelec.tv/downloads/wetek-play-and-wetek-openelec/

& Use this to write to the SD
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Thanks Batistuta.
    Finally got it working using a better quality sd card through the recovery menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

guys
    what you using on the wetek play 1 or is there any up to date software,
    not used it in a while but have 2 laying about here,
    always used enigma2 but not seen any recent images,
    i think the android side was left behind

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

There's nothing from I seen a four of weeks ago. Seems dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lu8Kious

I am wondering on what is the best way to put a linux OS installed on a wetek. Is this possible I would like to install Raspberry software on there. I tried installing on an sdcard but it will not boot up from there. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Lu8Kious wrote: »
    I am wondering on what is the best way to put a linux OS installed on a wetek. Is this possible I would like to install Raspberry software on there. I tried installing on an sdcard but it will not boot up from there. Thanks

I'm running Libreelec. Going solid for months now. Dicked around with Enigma with mixed results but for a reliable TV box i'd recommend Librelec. Why would you want Linux? What do you think you could do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Lu8Kious wrote:

No.

Just no.

You can have Android, but honestly it's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

LibreElec is linux. Enigma2 is linux.
    It is possible to install extra software on either if you know what you're doing.
    For a more general purpose installation, something like openwrt might be an answer.

You cant just burn a raspberry pi image onto an sd card and boot it as they are not quite the same platform.
    It's like putting peat briquettes into the boot of a diesel car. Sure it's fuel, but you won't get much mileage out of it.

What code do you want to run on it?
    It might not be that difficult to persuade libreelec to work with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Muddy Fox

Hi all, hoping someone could help me.

Was running stock standard Kodi on an old android box but was v slow so loaded LibreElec and it speeds it up no end.

However, certain add-ons I was using with the stock standard version of Kodi don't seem to be able to be downloaded with LibreElec...is there anyway to download these add-ons with LibreElec, have searched for an answer to this but am struggling?

Thanks
    Muddy

Anyone using Libreelec 9 and had their remote crippled??? Only basics work on mine now.

To be honest it's been a good run with this box but it's showing it's age and stutters playing h.265 stuff in 1080 locally while I can stream from it with other devices and it will play fine. So it's acting as a tvheadend server and UPnP server to others in the house. The tvheadend server has saved me cabling a few rooms for TV.

Any recommendations for another box with a dvb-t tuner, happy to stay with libreelec no need for android.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Did android get forgot altogether for these.
    Have enigma2 running on 1 ok.
    Thinking of driving the car over the other 2 / 3

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

As an epilogue ...

Enjoyed my time with this box, but haven't used it in quite a while. Was doing a clear out over the weekend and thought I'd have a "quick" look online before sunsetting my Wetek Play 1.

Wetek forums have long since expired but found the following info, thought it may be useful info for others before consigning the Wetek to recycling or landfill!

Hope the above helps someone else. The only thing I could never get working was a plug-in usb DVB-T tuner; tried both a generic alleged RTL2832U type and Playstation PlayTV tuner, neither ever worked! Any suggestions for something that works, I may add on and use as a full TV tuner box for a bedroom TV.

With OpenATV I did have to change the remote type to get colour buttons to work, but it is a menu option. Mapped the favourites button to work for EPG also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

I have one of these lying around somewhere too. Wonder is it any use to anyone at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have one too. Haven't used it in a long time.

I never got a USB tuner working on this box either - the kernel's just too old.

I was very happy to pull it out of the cupboard and update the image to 9.2.8 though.

The Xbox One TV Tuner USB stick works well for me on my tvheadend server running on Debian and is what I'd recommend for linux based boxes.

Even when I've had the RTL2832U based tuners ( I bought several) working, they tended to overheat after a while.

epi-epi-logue! (NOT FOR OPENELEC VERSION, BUT FOR PLAY2)

I just found a current image for the wetek play2 with kernel 5.11.22!

https://test.libreelec.tv/11.0/Amlogic/LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-11.0-nightly-20220614-02d3922-wetek-play2.img.gz

I haven't installed it as I have the openelec Play1, but I unpacked the image and it has the module to support my Xbox TV DVB-T tuner and many others.

I've been using the Play1 as my TV system for the house since putting the image on it in February and it's working great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mine went for recycling yesterday. It was a great project for me I enjoyed tinkering around with it but with IPTV and cheap streaming options I’ve no need for a replacement.

Advertisement