Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WETEK Play/OPENELEC user discussion, tips n' tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Took the jump from Openelec 6.0.3 to OpenELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.0.1.img via sd card. Box booted fine.
    Then to tried to go up again to OpenELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.0.3.img also via sd card. No dice as box would not boot. Splash screen did show OpenElex 8.03 but stayed like that. Tried again and did not even get that far.

Has anyone successfully updated to OpenELEC 8.03? (http://openelec.tv/get-openelec)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

manster wrote: »
    Took the jump from Openelec 6.0.3 to OpenELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-7.0.1.img via sd card. Box booted fine.
    Then to tried to go up again to OpenELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.0.3.img also via sd card. No dice as box would not boot. Splash screen did show OpenElex 8.03 but stayed like that. Tried again and did not even get that far.

Has anyone successfully updated to OpenELEC 8.03? (http://openelec.tv/get-openelec)

Think a lot of people moved to LibreElec. I have it on the NAND and found it pretty stable.

Not sure if it affects you, but noticed this message on the OpenELEC site under the Week Play build: "To install on SD-Card you MUST update WeTek's Android software to the latest OTA version first"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was under the impression there was very little work being done with openelec. How come people still seem to use it and "update" it?

I was under the impression there was very little work being done with openelec. How come people still seem to use it and "update" it?

It's still there and has been updated so maybe people that are familiar with it are sticking with it. I only moved to LibrElec because it looked like it was finished last year. Seems like it's still being developed with Kodi 17.1. I'm sticking with LibrElec under the 'if it ain't broke' principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Another one here for LibreElec. Works perfect for me.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the respnoses. Will give Librelec Nand a go.

For any Librelec users what versions of Kodi and pbnigma are you using?

The latest version of LibreElec comes with Kodi 17.1. I don't use pbnigma (I assume you know pbnigma has nothing to do with LibreElec). Found pbnigma very poor for recording, which is how I watch most of my TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I use TVHeadEnd with Kodi 17.1 on LibreElec. Can't recall which version of LibreElec I'm on though.

I thought PBNigma was an image itself, as in you'd use it instead of LibreElec? There's a reduced form of Kodi that can be installed on that called KodiDirect. it's more for using Add-Ons as far as I'm aware. Haven't used it and any information on it tends to be limited.

I use TVHeadEnd with Kodi 17.1 on LibreElec. Can't recall which version of LibreElec I'm on though.

I thought PBNigma was an image itself, as in you'd use it instead of LibreElec? There's a reduced form of Kodi that can be installed on that called KodiDirect. it's more for using Add-Ons as far as I'm aware. Haven't used it and any information on it tends to be limited.

If it's Kodi 17.1, it's Libreelec 8.0.1. PBnigma is a separate image. I used it for about a month or so. KodiDirect wasn't much use for me. I only use four addons and three of them didn't work. The biggest advantage I found was the channels switched much faster but as I said earlier, I mostly watch recorded tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Hello folks,

Have a Wetek Play 1 for the folks which i planned to setup for freeview + iptv.

Have PBnigma 5.3 installed fine but cannot get any bouquet services running - bouquets E2 just craps out when i run it. At the moment i have all the channels listed but just want the freesat channels listed,

Anybody help here? Am i best off going down a different root?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dazzday wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Have a Wetek Play 1 for the folks which i planned to setup for freeview + iptv.

Have PBnigma 5.3 installed fine but cannot get any bouquet services running - bouquets E2 just craps out when i run it. At the moment i have all the channels listed but just want the freesat channels listed,

Anybody help here? Am i best off going down a different root?

Try autobouquetsmaker it's essentially the same as auto bouquets e2 but it may in better in that image. Havent been near my wetek in a long time except to try out IPTV on openlec.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Never really got the wetek working so its family proof... so trying out libreelec :rolleyes:

Using their app created a SD for wetek play

But when I boot from the card after 60s it looks like its installing but the screen stops on starting unbind framebuffer console...

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    W.

Never really got the wetek working so its family proof... so trying out libreelec :rolleyes:

Using their app created a SD for wetek play

But when I boot from the card after 60s it looks like its installing but the screen stops on starting unbind framebuffer console...

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    W.

Ensure that you have Samba turned on so you can see the Wetek network directory. Instead of using the SD solution, download the latest LibreElec .tar file and paste it into the update folder and rebooting. No need for SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Is there a new android version for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

are people reading the comments in this thread about the VideoStrong K1 Pro

http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/05/08/mecool-ki-pro-hybrid-android-tv-box-with-dvb-t2-dvb-s2-tuner-sells-for-80/#comment-544104
    Miranda Chen
    KI PRO is: Android 7.1, DVB-T2+S2 +C,
    already got DRM widevine level 1, and have HDCP

Also read
    Mr Netflixer
    The whole “all I need is Widevine L1” to get 1080p Netflix is one of the biggest B.S. misinformation campaigns you see bouncing around the internet.
    What is also going on now is the Google Playstore will not even let you install any Netflix App without media player Hardware also being “Netflix Certified”. Watch out if the device is rooted as well.

Once you have “Netflix hardware certification” even 4K Netflix is possible on regular tablet Android using the 4K capable Android TV Netflix App. The only Android Tablet OS devices where that is possible is the WeTek Hub and Play2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I dont suppose anyone has a spare dvb-s tuner they want rid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I dont suppose anyone has a spare dvb-s tuner they want rid of?

I have a twin dvb-s wetek openelec I would sell. Never really used or are you just looking for tuner itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Haven't used this box since I got it. It has an out of date nemesis build on it but I can't seem to add anything from settings menu. How do I delete and start again? Just want it for kodi thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Newport81 wrote: »
    Haven't used this box since I got it. It has an out of date nemesis build on it but I can't seem to add anything from settings menu. How do I delete and start again? Just want it for kodi thanks

Download this to a micro usb card

http://wetektr.com/WeTek/WeTek/Android/Romlar/WeTek-Orj/WeTek-1.1.8/wetek-play-ota_1.1.8.zip

Insert card in box. Turn box on with a pin pressed into the tiny hole underneath the box. Wait for ten or 15 second and then let go the pin.

Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTCmnM-7KE

If you don't have a micro usb card you can use a blank usb key, but you might find that you have to manually pick "install from EXT" or something like that during the above process so that the box knows to read the usb key.

Sometimes the install process will show a fail error. If that happens repeat the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I can't run Kodi (16.1) or apps like showbox on my wetek play box anymore -
    Apps I used like exodus have disappeared completely.
    Kodi is no longer in the play store when I search for it.

Technology is not a strong point - any help is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Download an apk file direct from Google?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

Kodi v17 will not run on the latest available Android version for the older Wetek Play.

Libreelec or openelec build are the best way to get latest Kodi v17 working on Wetek play version 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

stooge wrote: »
    Kodi v17 will not run on the latest available Android version for the older Wetek Play.

Libreelec or openelec build are the best way to get latest Kodi v17 working on Wetek play version 1.

Thanks for the help - I installed Libreelec and it is working great -thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

stooge wrote: »

is the latest android useable at all even

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It is. But it's fairly laggy to be honest. Android on 1gb is a thing of the past now. Just can't run anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

Have wetek box got on here year ago....is it just for bin or worth giving to someone to update it with?? Cheers guys.

Tech not my strong point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

grange mac wrote: »
    Have wetek box got on here year ago....is it just for bin or worth giving to someone to update it with?? Cheers guys.

If u giving away I'll take it off you rather than putting the bin. I can use it in kids room to work off my nas to watch movies as I can't really do anything else with it

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

If u giving away I'll take it off you rather than putting the bin. I can use it in kids room to work off my nas to watch movies as I can't really do anything else with it

Sure, if your in cork city, drop a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

grange mac wrote: »

Still a very usable box if you want to run Kodi. I use mine running Libreelec for the tv in the bedroom. Works great for streaming files from my NAS, and also have it connected to my satellite box downstairs to stream live channels/recordings. Bit slow in the menus, but once a video is playing it plays absolutely fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

I have an Wetek openelec I bought on one of the GB's here and I am selling it. I can't find the original box or tuner with it so only really good for kodi, android box. PM if any interest. I am in Dublin willing to drop or meet halfway.

Advertisement